Quantcast
PT6 Users - should I upgrade? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT6 Users - should I upgrade?
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PT6 Users - should I upgrade?

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere (just point me to a thread and I'll read it...)

But I'm an OS9/PT5.3 user (HD192+888/24 legacy interface, two cards) who doesn't in the least bit relish the idea of doing a simultaneous upgrade of both an operating sytem version AND a Pro Tools version. Either one by themselves is enough to cause a nervous breakdown, but both at once????

To say nothing of the costs of upgrading every piece of software (music and non-music) that I own, instsalling new firewire and USB drivers for all my peripherals, finding out which hardware and software will no longer work no matter what i try, and the hassles of authorizing and installing all that new software - to say nothing of the learning curvel

So my question to all you ecstatic PT6 users: what does it have that is a SIGNIFICANT advantage over PT 5.3 (aside from the fact that it works with OSX). And since I'm not using it native, I don't really care about dual processor support either, for that matter.

Any other compelling reason i should upgrade? My Luddite tendencies are telling me that I'm pretty happy (and competent) with my 5.3 system. Do I really need to rock the boat right now?
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: PT6 Users - should I upgrade?

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere (just point me to a thread and I'll read it...)

Any other compelling reason i should upgrade? My Luddite tendencies are telling me that I'm pretty happy (and competent) with my 5.3 system. Do I really need to rock the boat right now?
How about being able to do inserts on the fly?(well not totally, but pretty close)heh
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is where I sit as well, just cannot see any advantage at the moment. Only cool features are plugs on the almost fly and teh bulit in click. Although most drummers I record hate clicks anyway..
Might wait for 6.2.
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by davemc
This is where I sit as well, just cannot see any advantage at the moment. Only cool features are plugs on the almost fly and teh bulit in click. Although most drummers I record hate clicks anyway..
Might wait for 6.2.
Well also if you have a dual processor Mac you can use both for PT.

Eventually all of the new plugs will be OSX only, as well as all of the programs(Mac is forcing everyone in that direction).
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Benefits

Urm... don't you guys like the new Beat Detective features? Create your own groove templates from audio files - apply them to other audio or Midi incl retaining dynamics?

The factory groove templates are superb too: Cubase/Logic/MPC
shuffles all available from within PT's (TDM only of course)

Burt

heh
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Benefits

Quote:
Originally posted by Burt
Urm... don't you guys like the new Beat Detective features? Create your own groove templates from audio files - apply them to other audio or Midi incl retaining dynamics?

The factory groove templates are superb too: Cubase/Logic/MPC
shuffles all available from within PT's (TDM only of course)

Burt

heh
Now you're talking!!

I've heard the 'on the fly' plugs action is a little jolty (I would use that bouncing green thing but ..won't)

I'm still in the faded world of a G3 OS9 and PT 5.1.1 and Mix+ (terrible bus service 'n' all) grudge

Soon ...
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

Eventually all of the new plugs will be OSX only, as well as all of the programs(Mac is forcing everyone in that direction).
I don't know why,
but I imagine you enjoyed saying that... heh
Old 6th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
I don't know why,
but I imagine you enjoyed saying that... heh
Hey Renie,

Its a fact.

None of the new macs can run OS9.

Since the upgrade came out I've had it, but have refused to install it until the Emagic Logic and PT thing is worked out.

Also I wanna get one of the newer macs(I am running in my studio right now a dual 450) for OSX.

Hey, how did it go with the Massive Passive? Like?Dislike?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Renie,

Its a fact.

None of the new macs can run OS9.

Since the upgrade came out I've had it, but have refused to install it until the Emagic Logic and PT thing is worked out.

Also I wanna get one of the newer macs(I am running in my studio right now a dual 450) for OSX.

Hey, how did it go with the Massive Passive? Like?Dislike?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I know, was only 'busting your chops'...as you say over the pond.

Are you going to wait for a G5 or just go for it with one of the latest range? The 1.42 GHz looks like the best value.

The Massive Passive was here for 6 days, I was on it for 1 hr because stike I got ill.

grudge

In that hour though I did have some fun, and I did really like it. It has got the missing element I was hoping for. It had that 'soft mean punch' I'm wanting.

I didn't have enough time to check out the highs so I'm curious about that, the way it affected the lows and mids really impressed me though.

I found it weird not having sweepable freq, I'm not used to that.

It is hard to not approach a piece like that without expectations being really high, which is a tough place to start you're right. It's a beautiful design object.

I was going to reply to you on the other thread as I would like some of your tips because we are getting it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thrill and Littledog

To not highjack this thread further i'll start a new Massive Passive thread over
at the high end forum. See ya there!
Old 6th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
I know, was only 'busting your chops'...as you say over the pond.

Are you going to wait for a G5 or just go for it with one of the latest range? The 1.42 GHz looks like the best value.

The Massive Passive was here for 6 days, I was on it for 1 hr because stike I got ill.

grudge

In that hour though I did have some fun, and I did really like it. It has got the missing element I was hoping for. It had that 'soft mean punch' I'm wanting.

I didn't have enough time to check out the highs so I'm curious about that, the way it affected the lows and mids really impressed me though.

I found it weird not having sweepable freq, I'm not used to that.

It is hard to not approach a piece like that without expectations being really high, which is a tough place to start you're right. It's a beautiful design object.

I was going to reply to you on the other thread as I would like some of your tips because we are getting it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!
Hey Renie,

I knew you were...what's the word over there..joshing?Joking? whatever!!!heh

I'll post some Massive passive stuff on the other forumn.

Peace
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the help, everyone. Some of the new features that were mentioned sound cool, but not enough to overcome the upgrade angst. I don't feel like I'm missing THAT much.

Now, on the other hand, when I upgraded from a Mix+ system to an HD2, it was like a whole new universe. In the Mix+ system I was constantly running out of DSP and would have to print some effects to free it up. With the HD2 I rarely even come close to filling it up.
πŸ“ Reply