Quantcast
Internal or External? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Internal or External?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Internal or External?

Whats up everyone, just got done making my old Dell Laptop my DAW.Installed 2gb of RAM(Maximum),Got rid of the internet,Disabled my disk drive,Transferred a bunch of stuff to my new computer.But one thing I dont have is any memory,I'm using the computers 36 GB of memory at the moment.So my question to you is should I be getting an external or internal hard drive? I've heard that I'd have to install windows xp again if I was to get an internal hard drive and that I'd risk the chance of it crashing and losing everything.With the external one they just seem to be more expensive for some reason.But anyways any advice is appreciated, and by the way I'm using Pro Tools (MBOX2),Fl Studio,Adobe Audition,Recycle,etc.....Alright Peace.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It's good advice to run a second drive for your audio and your first drive has the OS and software on it. Internal, external = depends on the size of your files and bus speed. To stay clear of USB quirks and under-spec'd firewire chipsets.. go for another interal HD, if possible. Funny thing, these chipsets.. a friend had trouble getting 2 channels of 44.1/16bit in/out.. after a few weeks it turns out the chipset in his machines were seriously underspec'd. His laptop couldn't cough up enough USB bandwidth for anything else than mouse or printer.
📝 Reply