The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar Simmulation SW
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone Coen ➡️
Not true...
we released TH1 1.0.2 which fixes problems with PT8 a couple of weeks ago.
interesting. i may be experiencing CPU-related issues in protools 7 (not just TH1 though..)

see my thread from earlier today:

rtas instability in protools 7.0

our protools HD setup on a dual G5 tower seems to be really struggling with running these things, but i'm not sure whether it's not just a general RTAS problem or something to do with the CPU consumption of these plug-ins. is anyone on here managing to use any of the following successfully on protools HD 7 (v7.0 - HD1+HD accel card) under osx 10.4?

TH-1, Ampeg SVX, amplitube metal, amplitube 2

any tips// information on successful setups welcome (love the sound of these things but i must consider my students' needs, and the distinct possibility that they will go way overboard in loading up multiple instances). i don't want to make a rock-solid system unstable, but we DO need some new amp sims as we are not getting acceptable results from miking up amps (for a variety of reasons - eg: the live room is also used as a practice room and any amps get a thrashing, so there's no point buying expensive ones).

anyway, re: the original question, here's my two pence worth:

pod farm: lots of options, but i struggled to get a single really good sound out of them. if pushed into the red at all you get a horrible digital distortion - and this happened very regularly when experimenting with different models. i spent more time juggling input/ output levels than being creative. if money was no object it'd be worth getting it for the effects, but use a different plugin for the amps & cabs. the routing system seems a little odd too, with some annoying limitations on the order of modules available. very hard to get a good heavily distorted sound (many of our students' projects are metal and need a BIG chunky nu-metal type of sound) - as soon as i pushed the amps into distortion i found that the bottom end dropped away and i lost rhythmic definition - it all just became a wall of noise, which is exactly what we were getting from our cheap, over distorted miked-up amps.

overloud TH-1: immediately this sounded miles better. was hard to make a rubbish sound with it, with each new experiment sounding different, but still having potential within the mix. much more convincing than pod farm with usable room ambiences and plate reverbs. the different models, although much more limited in number, provided a much wider palette of sounds than pod farm. i managed to get a very wide variety of chunky metal sounds which had a perfect combination of intense distortion AND dynamics (you could hear every strum, even when driven really hard) there was also a very solid bottom end,, even at high gain settings. the interface is excellent, and the different mics/ positions made a real difference....as did the cabs. one thing i would have liked to have done was to pan the different mics left & right, but this is a small drawback (there may be a way round it that i haven't come across yet....other than duplicating the entire signal chain and panning each path with the mixer). it would also be VERY useful to have a delay that has NO feedback, so that one path can be slightly delayed against the other to create a wide stero spread (there is a delay that you can set to zero "regen" and 100 percent mix, but it still repeats twice for some reason (unless i was doing something stupid!)

amplitude 2: i was not expecting good things from this as i have had the earlier version before (and LE which i got free with protools), but was pleasantly surprised. if anything it has MORE bottom end oomph than TH1, and has the added advantage of having bass cabs that you can send guitar preamps through - this produced a crazy "smiley-curve" type of sound that really set the sound apart from other amps in the track. very hard to decide between this and TH1 - they are different rather than one being better than the other.. if anything i would say that amplitube sounds less "3d" than TH1 - eg: it sounds a little dynamically flattened - almost as if its going through a limiter. it's like it sits in its own little box, whereas TH1 really jumps out at yoou. this is not always a bad thing, however, when mixing...and an ideal situation would be to have both available.

AMPEG SVX: i know this is a bass plug-in, but anyway: limited in sonic scope/ amp models, but what it does, it does really well. especially the scooped, clanky sound that you get with modern rock/ metal. a massive, consistant and deep bottom end, allied to a cutting high mid-range that really punches through the mix (even when 3 massive metal guitars are ladled on top!). the combination of this and the guitar amp sims described above was awesome, and took the particular mix into a different league.

amplitube metal: only had a quick play with this but initial imprressions were good. it looks like it will even surpass the TH1 in terms of weighty distortion sounds, but further testing will be needed.

in summary, if i was looking for a setup that would provide convincing results, i would STRONGLY recommend that you do not plump for one product by one manufacturer. each has a very individual sound (regardless of how many different models are available) and when several different companies' products are combined within a mix the results are immense. i had ampeg svx on bass, TH1 on main guitar, and 2 additional guitars - one recorded through a Pod XT and the other using amplitube 2. the end product was amazing - all were seriously overdriven and i even managed to utilise reverbs successfully without it turning into a massive muddy blur (had a spring reverb on the amplitube one, and a plate on the TH1). the rhythmic drive was immense, a stark contrast to the white-noise type fuzz you cann sometimes get with badly judged real amp sounds/ multiple instances of the same amp sim plugin.

am going to try out guitar rig 3 (and possibly revalver) tommorrow, and may also check them out in logic to see if they fare any better (with regards to the glitches mentioned earlier)
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I am looking for an amp modeler for convenience sake. I'd be mainly using it for cleaner/slightly overdriven sounds and I've narrowed it down to the Revalver or GTR3, but I can't decide properly as I haven't heard enough of the Revalver. Any recommendations?

Last edited by Timmeh!; 21st February 2009 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: smelling mistake.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you head over to my blog, you can hear comparison clips of them Timmeh!.

Between them I would go with ReValver MKIII. I have plans to soon do a blog update called "The ReValver MkIII Expansion Pack," where I put together a list of "must-have" free VSTs for use with ReValver MkIII's internal VST host to basically add a bunch of great amps and awesome effects, since right now its biggest weaknesses are a lack of variety in both of those. But as it comes from the factory (so to speak) it is still a great package. Not as much variety as GTR3, but it is far more expandable and imo the amps sound better. But GTR3 has a polish on everything, a built-in shine on the sound that you can neither dial out nor alter much with the EQ controls... But it does give it a very "produced" feel right out of the gate, which might be useful with what you're doing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➡️
But GTR3 has a polish on everything, a built-in shine on the sound that you can neither dial out nor alter much with the EQ controls... But it does give it a very "produced" feel right out of the gate, which might be useful with what you're doing.

My thoughts exactly. GTR3 works very quickly, Revalver is great but takes/offers way more control and time to find the right sound. Both are great. However, I use GTR3 more for bass than guitar - the bass amps are amazing. All things considered, that really puts GTR3 in a good place. I do split bass off into Revalver just for the distortion, and layered with GTR3 under it for the low end, I can get a really good Muse/King's X bass sound. So, get both if you can!
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➡️
If you head over to my blog, you can hear comparison clips of them Timmeh!.

Between them I would go with ReValver MKIII. I have plans to soon do a blog update called "The ReValver MkIII Expansion Pack," where I put together a list of "must-have" free VSTs for use with ReValver MkIII's internal VST host to basically add a bunch of great amps and awesome effects, since right now its biggest weaknesses are a lack of variety in both of those. But as it comes from the factory (so to speak) it is still a great package. Not as much variety as GTR3, but it is far more expandable and imo the amps sound better. But GTR3 has a polish on everything, a built-in shine on the sound that you can neither dial out nor alter much with the EQ controls... But it does give it a very "produced" feel right out of the gate, which might be useful with what you're doing.
Good work on the reviews and comparisons!

I must admit I do like the 'produced' sound of the GTR3. Saying that, the less produced sound of the Revalver would come in handy too, and I tend to agree with you regarding the amp qualities of the Revalver being slightly superior. I suppose the fact that the GTR3 doesn't have as many variables could be a blessing in disguise as well as I could easily see myself burning time to find the 'right' sound.

I will probably end up getting both, but I may go for the GTR3 first.

Also, with the revalver, what are you inputting it into? I notice there is no dedicated DI box that comes with it (not that that is necessary).
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Rig Kontrol 3's DI works for anything. The pedal and controls don't, but the DI has a clear sound and good impedance matching for pickups (line/instrument selectable, as well, so I can use it with pedals/my active guitars too).

However I have recently got a StompIO in, which is IK Multimedia's high-end DI/control interface, and I have to say it's a huge improvement over the Rig Kontrol. The big difference is that the RK3 is a bus-powered interface while the StompIO is actually a higher-current-draw class A DI that acts like a real tube amp's input stage; it responds to boosting and to pedals/active pups like a real amp would. It's also significantly warmer and "fuller" sounding than the Rig Kontrol 3. I feel like it's been the missing ingredient in my amp modeling tone quest so far, to be honest - the amp models really round out and fill up the available sonic space much more with the StompIO than with RK3. With RK3, I have to be very careful with my pedal levels so that I don't clip it, which makes boosts pretty useless, but I can actually boost StompIO's input much more realistically. That isn't to say that the RK3 is bad or deficient, but that the StompIO is just really something special. Its converters and all that are top notch as well.

I've had trouble with my Rig Kontrol unit to be honest, and Native has offered me a replacement - the input jacks on it are all super finnicky and won't work unless the connector is just-so, and it affects literally all of them, even the headphone out.

If you already have an audio interface that you like but you're looking for a quality guitar DI, the Waves/PRS guitar DI (which I think is on sale for $90 right now at some sites) is quality and has similar goals - to behave like an amp input stage.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I almost always prefer a real amp, but if I have to go with a sw amp sim, Softube Metal Amp Room and Vintage Amp Rooms is the ****.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used guitar rig, amplitube and a pod xt pro.

Out of the bunch I prefer by far the pod xt pro and you can reamp through it with spdif if necessary.
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
If I get the GTR3 it will be with the PRS guitar DI (complete package). I'll check out the StompIO though, thanks.
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I think they all fall a little short once you bring them up in the mix against most real mic'd setups. I always thought GR3 was quite versatile though.
📝 Reply