Weird Signal Noise When Using Amp Modelers - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird Signal Noise When Using Amp Modelers
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Weird Signal Noise When Using Amp Modelers

Hi everyone,

I use a Fast Track USB, and I notice that when I use some amp models I tend to get really annoying artifacts.

This only happens with the heavy type of amp models and presets. I can play clean to even slightly overdriven guitar just fine. But when I use something like GTR's Shred amp or the heavy metal presets on Guitar Rig 3 I start getting this really annoying high pitched squeal in the background.

I turn down the gain and it goes away, but hey, that's no fun.

Anyways, has anyone ever solved this problem? Is there too much interference coming from my computer? I have also used the M-audio Black Box with my PC and I notice a little bit of the same problem. Should I have gone with Line 6?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
High pitched squeal sounds like bad EMI to me. I imagine the interface you're using is rather poorly shielded, and that you're probably operating quite close to the computer. Computers are massive EMI emitters, and even humbuckers will exhibit a lot of noise at different nodes up to about 3500hz when under such a barrage. Things you can do include getting a better interface, using a humbucker guitar if you're using single coils now, and fully shielding your guitar's pickup and control cavities to better reject noise.

I'm going to look into the Fast Track USB and see if there's anything about its design that might be the cause of the problem. In the meantime, head over to my blog in my signature and listen to some of the Recto comparison clips - they're about as high gain as is feasible in a mix, probably even on top of that; see if you can hear the problem with them. My computer is especially noisy and I need to reorganize my studio to move the computer farther away, so in the meantime I've had to adopt some pretty aggressive noise reduction measures and limit myself to using only my better shielded guitars.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I decided to try out my M-audio Jamlab and now the guitar programs sound fine.

I'm betting the Fast Track USB is junk.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…