Quantcast
Anyone here have their 3 - 4 year old Dual G5 Die? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone here have their 3 - 4 year old Dual G5 Die?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Anyone here have their 3 - 4 year old Dual G5 Die?

My 3-year old (January 2006) Apple Dual 2.0 G5 died a couple of weeks ago. After only three years of flawless service it just wouldn't start one day. Black screen and fans kick into TURBO 747 Mode.

Took it to the Apple Store and after trying some fixes the genius diagnosed it as having a bad logic board ($700) and/or a bad processor ($400). I took the machine with me to think it over as I felt it was unbelievable that a $2,000.00 computer would need nearly $1,000.00 of repairs. Especially seeing as I treated it so well and it had such light use.

I researched G5 logic boards and came upon a couple of forums where it turns out an astonishing amount of people who own 3-4 year old Dual G5s have also had their logic boards fail.

I called and spoke with Apple and they refuse to do anything for me (that's not true, the genius offered to waive the labor). Their response is anything after 3 years is considered to be on the onus of the customer. I asked the tech what the life expectancy of a $2000.00 Apple computer is and he couldn't give me a straight answer.

So, I'm curious as to whether any of you out there have had similar problems with your G5. If you're interested, I can forward to the links to the forums regarding this. All of us who have spent our hard earned money on Apple products that have failed after only a few years of use should unite!!

Thanks everyone!!

Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont own one but i heard this a lot.Thats life man...buuurp.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, there was a thread in the moan zone on that topic a while back, but I'm not sure what model it was. The parts prices from them have always been a bit unrealistic. I had it happen with my first Mac and it was in the early 90's or something. I think the "percentage of new machine cost" for the board was even higher than yours back then and it died a bit earlier.

Sorry to see it happen. I ended up with a working used board off the for sale newsgroups (would likely be eBay now). It was a lot less money.

Take Care
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got a logic board for my MDD G4 off ebay for $20.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yep G5 died leaking coolant all over, over heated and was really pissing me
off. It was in my buddy's studio and set us back 2 weeks on a project, I
swore never to buy and Apple after that, had enough of the stuff, so now
I still will work on an Apple if forced too, but I'm used to the pain and aggravation of windows, feels like home. My my, the computer I can buy for
half the price of an Apple.....
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis ➑️
My 3-year old (January 2006) Apple Dual 2.0 G5 died a couple of weeks ago. After only three years of flawless service it just wouldn't start one day. Black screen and fans kick into TURBO 747 Mode.

Took it to the Apple Store and after trying some fixes the genius diagnosed it as having a bad logic board ($700) and/or a bad processor ($400). I took the machine with me to think it over as I felt it was unbelievable that a $2,000.00 computer would need nearly $1,000.00 of repairs. Especially seeing as I treated it so well and it had such light use.

I researched G5 logic boards and came upon a couple of forums where it turns out an astonishing amount of people who own 3-4 year old Dual G5s have also had their logic boards fail.

I called and spoke with Apple and they refuse to do anything for me (that's not true, the genius offered to waive the labor). Their response is anything after 3 years is considered to be on the onus of the customer. I asked the tech what the life expectancy of a $2000.00 Apple computer is and he couldn't give me a straight answer.

So, I'm curious as to whether any of you out there have had similar problems with your G5. If you're interested, I can forward to the links to the forums regarding this. All of us who have spent our hard earned money on Apple products that have failed after only a few years of use should unite!!

Thanks everyone!!
Sorry to hear that... but you are not alone...

I had a Dual 1.8 G5 that died after only 14 months of use. Logic board was the diagnosis. Never abused it, kept it clean, never let anyone even look at it the wrong way... talking about literally throwing away $2.5Ks. Shortly after that, I got MacPro (I had to continue working) and, knock on wood, no issues what so ever.

I sometimes wonder if G5 was just a bad prototype, and once Apple realized that IBM chips could not handle the new design and plans, they switched to Intel, hence, the MacPro. I wish, they would at least acknowledge that G5s were a waste of money... well, at least on the end users' side.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It used to break my heart when I would read stuff like this on Gearslutz, because I used to be an Apple tech and I wasn't allowed to comment. Now I'm a full-time studio engineer and no longer work for Apple, so I can. Your problem is extremely common, unfortunately. There is some component on the logic board that just fails, possibly a capacitor or something. If enough people complain, Apple might come up with a repair extension program, similar to what they did with iMac G6s (1st gen) and iBook G3s. Other than that, you are pretty much screwed. It sucks, and I can bet you the poor Genius who diagnosed your problem wanted to help, but there was nothing he would have been allowed to do. (Having to tell people stuff like that was part of the reason I quit - besides the fact that I had an opportunity to do audio professionally.) Anyway, the really crappy part is that you can also forget finding a board on eBay and replacing it yourself, unless you really know what you're doing. Unlike the G4s, the G5s are very difficult to work on, and require special tools. You need to remove pretty much every component in the thing to take the logic board out.
So, what are your options? You can complain to Apple frequently and often. If you're a commercial studio and this is hurting your business, tell them that. Call AppleCare and demand to speak to customer relations. I can't offer any guarantees, but it doesn't hurt to try. Keep insisting that you need to go higher up the foodchain until you get someone who can help you, or else you run out of patience. (Just please, don't tell them a former Apple employee sent you. It won't help.) If that fails, find a decent non-Apple-owned service center. They're usually able to do out-of-warranty repairs much more cheaply.
Good luck!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Mine died a few months ago. Dual 2.0 processors, 4gb, etc. Earlier in the year I had to replace the logic board. Then the dvd/cd drive died. I threw about $800 bucks at it and it lasted an additional 7 months. I thought I just wore it out after daily use for 4 1/2 years. In November I bought a Mac pro-eight core-16gb ram-three additional velociraptor drives for VIs and plugs. So far so good. I do extensive orchestrating with it and it doesn't even break a sweat. Still pissed about the old G5.
Good luck!
Lou
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man sorry to hear.

If that happened to my MacPro I'd go postal. Falling Down and all.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had two G5s running PTHD. They both started to crash incessantly, one was diagnosed with a bad logic board, the other they had no answer for. Shame on the Apple store and their lame techs! They continued to have problems and we have since sent both of them to the boneyard. We now use Radar instead, and Cubase when a DAW is needed. Much better! It is good to be free of the Mac and Digi Mafias!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i guess u already used the apple care plan right?

if not i think u can buy it and they should fix it.

for me it was the power supply. they wanted to charge 400$ tto replace it. i bought mine on ebay and fixed mysielf for 180$
took a long while. its not visible but that power supply units is huge!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had the Logic board go on my G5... twice.

I don't have apple care.

Both times, I took it to the genius bar in Charlotte, mentioned that I knew it was a known issue, and they replaced it- both times.

My G5 is around 5 years old.. dual 1.8.

This happened when it was around 2-3 years old, so it was past the warranty.

You might try what I did? Make sure you mention it was a "known issue." They might still laugh at you.. but it's worth a try.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for some inside scoop Matyas.

It's a shame that their repair policies are so limited. If a new board is going to cost the customer 75% of the whole machine (which has already depreciated), they should at least have service centers which could do more than just board swaps. I remember looking at their Service Source PDFs years back and being surprised at how basic and limited some of the troubleshooting steps were for their techs. Most of it was like "see if the green light is on... see if the drives spin up... replace logic board" or "replace power supply".

Gsilbers- That power supply deal sounds nuts. I'd have trouble finding a power supply that cost that much outside of Apple. The description sounds like what was in the old Quadra 950s. Thing had like a six inch fan and the whole power supply chassis was a foot and a half long or something.

Take Care

PS- Found that other thread. Looks like it was mainly laptops though.
Old 11th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
same story here: my Dual G5 2.5 GHz died suddenly (fans started to work but black screen and no startup sound after MAc beying switched ON) after approx. 3 years.

They told me it is the damned logicboard. It was in the middle of a production, so I had to buy immediately another G5 machine (there were some issues with some plugins when moving from G5 to MacIntel at that time).

But I do want to buy a working logicboard for the broken G5 I have, as I want to give this machine to my friend. The question is where can one buy such G5 logicboard, that will work for at least another 2 years

🎧 15 years
"Known issue" is the keyword here...all sorts of companies do out-of-warranty repairs under these circumstances...such as the digidesign 002 power harness thing.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
oh...

Same thing happened here. G5 started to do strange things. Kernel Panic all the time, system freezes. Fans at full speed.

Got it repaired for about 950€, (processor replaced) and its still not working.

Didn't know that this was a broader issue.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the G5's were flawed designs and I do agree Apple dumped PPC and switched to Intel for those reasons.I have a liquid cooled dual 2.7 PPC and the liquid cooling was a lame design attempt at helping The G5 stay cool..... so many people have had problems with these Macs .
this is what happened to my G5 and I am very glad I had Applecare(which I always purchase)

chapter 1
well I just got the G-5 home 2 days before Applecare expires
the repair was more extensive than I 1st thought
they replaced the Processor and the power supply(G5 has liquid cooling).
they think the liquid cooled power supply leaked and messed the processor,the motherboard checked out fine.
I am posting with my repaired mac everything seems OK.
if I didn't have Applecare the repair would have been about $1600.00(more than the G5 is worth right now!!)
so I can say Applecare was a very good $200 spent !!!!

chapter 2

got the Mac back they replaced the processor and the liquid cooled powersupply............after 1 or 2 attempts at start up system worked
used for a few hours no problems
powered down, got some sleep and in the morning the fun began............
strange startup issues, random hangs and freezes as well as lcd goes black if usb is pulled out from front of computer fans rev up and crash,lost date and time etc....man this sucks,but Applecare is still good until tomorrow!!only 2 out of 8 startups don't hang
no kernal panics all this time..........................
brought back to Tekserve
now imagine if there was no warranty......

Mac would be toast,still I have hope that they will solve the problems
to be continued......................................

chapter 3
well the Mac is back home and now seems better! all told APPLECARE replaced the logic board ,the power supply (with liquid cooling),the processor,the front panel board ,and the enclosure.APPLECARE also included about 4 or 5 hours of labor as well as other overnight tests the tech put the Mac through.
this all cost more than the Mac is even worth new!!
for me the warranty was $$ money well spent!

chapter 4

after I got the Mac back it was great for 2 weeks(no warranty now).

then all of a sudden the fans would rev up and would freeze if I didn't reboot immediately. rebooting always seemed to calm it down................... mac could even be idle and this would happen.
if I looked at Activity monitor it showed nothing that could cause these wild fan episodes 1 day of light usage and this happened 4 or 5 times in 2 or 3 hours.................. strange stuff was going on.
I thought it was a bad heat sensor.
I was preparing to take it back to Tekserve(90 days on Applecare repairs)

chapter 5

the fan issues totally calmed down. Everything seems OK the last 6 weeks.
still have no idea what was the cause of the wild fan episodes
or what solved the fan rev problem
I am keeping my fingers crossed that the problems have been solved and I hope my G5 will last until I get a Intel based Mac Pro(I want Nehalem 2nd Generation).
I totally agree the G5's were pretty bad designs ,It convinced me I will always buy Applecare.

Cheers
KG
Old 12th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Talking Apple Repaired My G5

Who needs Apple Care? Apple repaired my G5 for free. It was a $2400.00 dollar bill I couldn't afford right now. Not only did they repair it, but they had it done the next day. Between Apple corporate and the local Apple store in Alpharetta GA, I've had exceptional service.

My G5 made a roaring noise, the screen went black and refused to boot up. With my career being slow, I would have not been able to replace it.

There is a recall of Apple G5 computers. If your g5 has any of these symptoms; power fluctuation, roaring fan, failure to reboot, and coolant leaking out of the box, then it should be covered.

Follow the steps bellow.

1. Schedule an appointment online at Apple's Genius Bar.
2. Ask for them to diagnose it and give you an estimate.
If you don't have a diagnostic, you can't move to step no. 3.
3.(a) Call Apple Support and give them the invoice number. Tell them the problem is a "manufacturer recall". Ask them if they can help. There support staff is very pleasant, and want the best solution for you, unlike most international call centers.
(b) They will give you a case number to have it fixed at an Apple store.
(c) If they don't, speak to someone else.
4. Schedule an other appointment online at Apple's Genius Bar.
5. Pick it up the next day or a week later.

Best of luck. I hope this helps.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
RE: Apple Repaired My G5 "Logic Board"

My experience involved the fan and the power supply, not the logic board. I apologize if you are having an other issues, but let me explain.

Problems with the G5 power PC usually have to do with fan and power supply going bad. Regardless, if it is presented to Apple as a "manufacturer
defect", there is enough defects to attribute to the G5, and they will do there best to fix it, last I heard.

It's expensive for Apple, but I'll use Mac as long they can support their products, even if they are "too innovative" sometimes. Flaky, viral infested PC's are not an option for me.
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 leaking coolant over power supply = dead dual G5. go with an intel mac!
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a 1.8 SP G5 and it had been running daily all day PT 6 + and Finalcut Pro simultaneously since it was brand new. Finally lost the Power supply. $225. Insured, which is good when the Applecare runs out.
Applecare treated me like a gorilla and a samsonite briefcase when I first bought it. It's been running for 5 years. No real probs.
The fans have sucked since day 1.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Motherboard Failure on a 2 months old Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 (late 2005) back when I bought it. Friend of mine had the G5 Single 1.8 and had the motherboard replaced twice.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I hate to talk about it, cause our 2 G5s have been problem free for over a year.. both dual 2.0GHz.

Many logic board and power supply failures in the past. One G5 eventually died beyond repair, and we bought a used one for few hundred bucks less than the cost of a "new" (refurb) logic board and power supply.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
My dual 1.8 G5 died three weeks ago. Blown logic board. After getting the Intel Mac, I'd say this was a (expensive) blessing in disguise. The Intel Mac is a much better machine. Hopefully, the same thing won't happen, later on to this one :D.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
+1

Dual core PPC 1.8 Gigas died after 3-4 years of use and taking care of him ...
Had to buy a new one : Intel 8 core 2.8 Gigas in the end of 2008 (happilly i was planning to get a more powerful one but not in a "fasty crashed way" !)

Just discovered in this post than apparently it seems to be a real problem, and not isolated ones ...

Weird ...

Best Regards from Paris

Olivier aka OB.one
OB.one French Composer on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
woah, crazy reading this thread as i too have had my (last of the PPC chip) G5 go sporadically funny a few times in the past: Black screen with Fans-set-to-overdrive at least 2 or 3 times on start-up since owning it.

Luckily nothing bads actually happened as i just held the power button down for a few seconds, left it dead for a few minutes before starting it up again and seeing it working with no problems.

Hmm, its like my G5s suffered a really minor stroke but made a full, almost instant recovery, compared to the other G5's on here thatve suffered a full on stroke, and in some sorry cases, died as a result.

If it can keep going til them Im currently saving my pennies for a new Mac as soon as Snow leopard is released (hopefully later this year) - i dont want to have to pay ££ for an OSX cycle thats beyond half way through its life.

(apologies for the slightly macabre analogy there, but its all i could think of)
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have a first generation G5 dual 2.0 (late 2004). THe fans have been fairly loud since jump street but took till last spring for me to get the kernel panic issue. I would turn it on and the screens would go black, fans go into "jets taking off" mode. It would always restart on the 2nd try and work flawlessly though. THis would happen once ever few weeks. It worried me so I looked into solutions. I replaced the PRAM and got a new, faster hard drive. Since then I've had the "start-up issue" once but otherwise its been flawless.

I upgraded to a MacPro 8 core 3.2 in January of this year and love it, however I'm keeping the G5 alive as a glorified hard drive/back up machine. I make sure I turn it on every couple days because I had heard the temperature might have an effect. I have a friend who's a manager of an Apple store and he confided in me that the late 2005/2006 G5's had tons of issues. However the first generation dual 2.0 were fairly stable. I wouldn't replace it if it dies since my new Macbook Pro dual 2.4 is my studio's 2nd machine anyway. Still, I hope the G5 lasts a few more years for light use. Jus tmakes me feel better knowing I have a solid back up tower if anything goes wrong with the Mac Pro.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
my DP 2.5 g5 died about two weeks ago due to the infamous liquid leakage... 1 year ago my partner's dual 1.8 g5 started to freeze because of a bad processor...
i have a pc from 1999 with wn98 and logic 4.5 that is still running fine,go figure...

i will never buy an expensive computer EVER again, leason learned
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just want to inject a bit of perspective into this thread.

I've been an apple user since the Mac Plus - but I'm not a fanboy - just a satisfied customer. I've personally own/ed a Quadra 800, PowerPC 8500, PowerMac G4 MDD, Powerbook G4, Macbook Pro and Mac Pro 8 core. I've had no hardware problems but YMMV.

Keep in mind that even though Apple designs the machines, they don't manufacture the components that go into the Mac. The processors, RAM, logic board components, video cards, hard drives, optical drives, wireless cards - all those parts are produced by companies like Samsung, IBM, Pioneer, nvidia, Intel, etc... So if your optical drive has to be replaced 3 times within 6 months it's a problem with the Samsung or Pioneer mechanism. G5 processor dead? IBM is the source. Don't get me wrong - it's an Apple computer no doubt - that is who your purchased it from and that's who you talk to about getting it fixed - as it should be.

For example, the mass problems with the iBook G3 video crapping out was because of a manufacturing defect. That would be a problem at the factory that assembled them, not Apple's design.

BTW, the fans running at full speed when the computer won't boot thing - that's because the fans are controlled by the operating system which monitors the system temp and adjusts the fan speed accordingly. If there is no software control, the fans default to full speed to keep the components from burning up. This is pretty much the way it is on any sanely engineered computerized system.

I would highly recommend that any Apple purchasers buy Applecare. Usually the cost of one out of warranty repair is greater than the cost of Applecare - 3 years of full warranty coverage is definitely worth it in my book and Applecare is pretty cheap considering...
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aaeronn-

Looks like we owned a bunch of the same machines, but I've gotten rid of all but the 8500 and Powerbook (dead p.supply I never replaced) plus a few Nubus's and Classics.

I had about 80+% good luck, but I stopped buying at my last G4 desktop. I've always felt like much of the unprovoked failure things happened to people after the clear plastic stuff hit. I don't know if the parts quality was better in the beige days or if there's just more of them floating around now, but my father's side of the family is covered with post iMac stuff and it seems like not one of them has been without a dead one or a board that ended up being replaced. I guess their tolerance to that stuff is just higher than mine (or maybe their budgets ), but I'd probably have started throwing things long ago.

...of course the board in my IIci did die after a couple years but I'm convinced that was just a fluke

I didn't know iBooks had a video issue too. The iMacs were notorious for it and I ended up with a nice orange one with a dead video board from one of my Uncles. I think they called it the "green light of death" in Mac circles. That one's probably too old to warrant fixing now.

Take Care
πŸ“ Reply