Quantcast
Anyone here have their 3 - 4 year old Dual G5 Die? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone here have their 3 - 4 year old Dual G5 Die?
Old 12th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Go to the macstore and try out a new imac, you'll be impressed.
I had a very similar experience with applecare, it's like they used to look for the biggest total buttholes for customer service reps. I mean total idiots, every now and then someone cool would sneak under the wire, but, that was VERY VERY rare.
Those days are over.
There are already PC's out there with i7 processors, I'm sure they'd work just fine with macos but I doubt you would be stressing them with 4G ram.
I'm getting an Imac like that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apple hardware is good looking but the build quality is not what it seems.
My Apple cinema display died after 3.5 years and a friends Apple 30" died recently after 3.5 years too.
And loads of G5´s die after 3-4 years, but most often it is issues with the RAM slots which can be fixed.
What´s more I worked in a Authorized Apple reseller store here in Stockholm and we had 3+ customers each month with broken Airport express. They all died after 13 months, as if they had a timebomb built in which went off after the 1 year warranty expired.
This was 2 years ago so I hope the quality control is better nowadays.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Interesting thread. Reading the musings that all seems to have been fixed with the move from IBM/G5 to intel I just wanted to post up a non-G5 issue that parallels that same timeframe (the shift to Intel.)

My 2006 iMac suffered progressing 'vertical lines' problem once out of my (foolish but tight in finances that year) 1 year Applecare. Wireless and later ethernet also failed, and most recently the iMac stopped recognizing any internal or external drive on boot:
http://www.kief.net/studio/iMac_dead.jpg

On the plus side my early 2008 Mac Pro has given me zero issues, but of course I plopped for 3 years coverage and that's not up yet... I might even buy a macbook pro next year, though the models that seem best suited to my current hardware (RME multiface I & II) would require an expresscard slot. So if they don't do something with lynnfield (or arrandale) that makes enough of a jump past Core2's performace, I'll probably wind up finding some excess stock for an early 2008 model macbook pro so that I can get an expresscard slot without the 17" bulk. Though there are QA issues there as well relating to the 'solder bumps' on Nvidia's chipsets during that era which affected g80 & g90 era chipsets and possibly desktop gpu's from many vendors, not just Apple.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild ➡️
Apple hardware is good looking but the build quality is not what it seems.
My Apple cinema display died after 3.5 years and a friends Apple 30" died recently after 3.5 years too.
And loads of G5´s die after 3-4 years, but most often it is issues with the RAM slots which can be fixed.
What´s more I worked in a Authorized Apple reseller store here in Stockholm and we had 3+ customers each month with broken Airport express. They all died after 13 months, as if they had a timebomb built in which went off after the 1 year warranty expired.
This was 2 years ago so I hope the quality control is better nowadays.
Mine had the ramslot problem too. Dang! I didn't know they had a "known issue" with ramslots too.
Old 13th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sorry for the OT, but has anyone here heard of this company who SELL's
hackintosh pc's with OSX pre installed and 2 year warranty and all...??

PearC.de - Der PC mit Mac OS X

Reading their FAQ I saw this:

Quote:
7. Is the PearC legal?

Yes, according to the laws of the European Union, there are no legal problems with PearC.
And the German version ...

Quote:
7. Ist es denn legal, Mac OS X auf einem PC zu installieren?

Die deutsche Gesetzgebung ist in diesem Fall auf der Seite der Endverbraucher. Endbenutzer-Lizenzverträge werden in Deutschland nur dann zum Vertragsbestandteil, wenn sie vor dem Kauf der Software vereinbart wurden.

Die Einschränkung, die Apple für sein Betriebssystem Mac OS X in der EULA macht, hat daher in Deutschland keine rechtliche Bewandtnis (BGB §307). Wir sind daher davon überzeugt, dass unser Produkt in Deutschland legal ist.
The German version kind of explains things. It says that the (some) claims apple makes in their EULA don't have legal ground in Germany.
English translation does not say this though....strange.
Old 13th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Two G5s for me meant two Logic board replacements to get them to "manufactured on Tuesday" standards. One was under warranty - the other was not. Occasionally a G5 will actually be "made on Tuesday" and avoid this hazard - but with a record of 2 out of 3, I feel your pain but its common.

Might even be cheaper to get a used one off of ebay from a reputable seller.
📝 Reply