Quantcast
Anyone here have their 3 - 4 year old Dual G5 Die? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone here have their 3 - 4 year old Dual G5 Die?
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a IICX, I know, nuff said, but is it?
That thing was our main Graphics comp along with a modded SE with mobius 030 accelerator & full page display for 3 years, never a hiccup.
That was after the plus.
I used to fix macs back then.
My "Lombard" stayed on for 2 years and was my mobile FFT analysis display, that thing was awesome, sold it. I hacked and put in more ram ran it up to 10.3.9, unsupported, it worked and only needed the display hack to keep it's speed.
I've had the 1.8 SP MacPro since they came out and this powersupply prob is now fixed. I have plenty of stuff hooked up to it. PT an FinalCut simultaneously, no prob.
I wonder if I can get some cards to make it run even better, thogh I have no complaints.
I got it fixed and this is the very first time I was treated with respect by Apple in response to a problem.

They told me if it breaks again, don't bring it back.
No kidding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️
along with a modded SE with mobius 030 accelerator
I think I've got that too. Is that the thing with a CPU plus four extra SIMM sockets on it? Mine's loaded with 16M. It still doesn't put you up to the speed of some of the real 030 Classic types though. I used to swap clock crystals and add heatsinks in a bunch of mine too. Man those were the days. Always wanted one of the Color Classics but I know I'd never use it now. I think somebody had a hack to get a PPC board in one too. The modded SE is the fastest of my Classics.

Take Care
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidis ➑️
I think I've got that too. Is that the thing with a CPU plus four extra SIMM sockets on it? Mine's loaded with 16M. It still doesn't put you up to the speed of some of the real 030 Classic types though. I used to swap clock crystals and add heatsinks in a bunch of mine too. Man those were the days. Always wanted one of the Color Classics but I know I'd never use it now. I think somebody had a hack to get a PPC board in one too. The modded SE is the fastest of my Classics.

Take Care
Oh yeah, the good ol days.
Old 8th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Smile

I'd be willing to sell one of you nice guys my G5 Dual 2.0 Power Mac very cheap.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Genie ➑️
I'd be willing to sell one of you nice guys my G5 Dual 2.0 Power Mac very cheap.
What's wrong with it?hehheh

You can get parts for old macs from Shreve Systems. Or I used to back in the old days, they have a dual 2. G5 for $1199 right now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
americans might get some redress for this (like those who got a free repair) cos in the USA manufacturers are afraid to get sued and at least consumers can get access to legal to force companies to honour things, but in UK you'll just get the middle finger cos there's no consumer protection here at all and no way legaly to take on a company unless you are rich (in which case you wouldnt bother anyways i spose)

like say the ipod battery fiasco from a few years back - in USA apple had admitted liability and replaced all faulty ipod batteries for free while at the exact same time they were telling UK customers there's no fault and to go f*ck yourself

i think with global corps we need global protection as consumers, like if a class action in any territory forces a recall or free repair/replacement programme, then that free repair/replacement should apply in any territory to all customers

my G5 is off for diagnosis right now as we speak. shame, but the law allows this selling of faulty goods sadly.

I heard there was a problem in the design stage of G5's with solder joints for some big board components like the cpu sockets etc which was known before production started and had a bodge fix applied to solve it

is that an urban myth?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161 ➑️
americans might get some redress for this (like those who got a free repair) cos in the USA manufacturers are afraid to get sued and at least consumers can get access to legal to force companies to honour things, but in UK you'll just get the middle finger cos there's no consumer protection here at all and no way legaly to take on a company unless you are rich (in which case you wouldnt bother anyways i spose)

like say the ipod battery fiasco from a few years back - in USA apple had admitted liability and replaced all faulty ipod batteries for free while at the exact same time they were telling UK customers there's no fault and to go f*ck yourself

i think with global corps we need global protection as consumers, like if a class action in any territory forces a recall or free repair/replacement programme, then that free repair/replacement should apply in any territory to all customers

my G5 is off for diagnosis right now as we speak. shame, but the law allows this selling of faulty goods sadly.

I heard there was a problem in the design stage of G5's with solder joints for some big board components like the cpu sockets etc which was known before production started and had a bodge fix applied to solve it

is that an urban myth?
Goods made in china without proper supervision.tutt
We used to have he same problems here, even with Apple, and Apple still tries to give every customer with a problem in America "the middle finger".
That said I just got my G5 back an the new power supply causes a whine in my interface, and the ram came back unseated. They fixed it and I'm OK for now, but, like I said previously, I've had it half as long as my kids, since '03, without much problem.
I did dig up that my problem was "a known issue" and they fixed it free.
ALWAYS look into that first.
The reason we have consumer protection is
WE FOUGHT FOR IT!
It cost some people EVERYTHING to fight for the greater good.
I don't know if you're up for that task, but, if you saw it and you have a complaint, it is your responsibility to do something about it.
Old 9th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️
Goods made in china without proper supervision.tutt
We used to have he same problems here, even with Apple, and Apple still tries to give every customer with a problem in America "the middle finger".
That said I just got my G5 back an the new power supply causes a whine in my interface, and the ram came back unseated. They fixed it and I'm OK for now, but, like I said previously, I've had it half as long as my kids, since '03, without much problem.
I did dig up that my problem was "a known issue" and they fixed it free.
ALWAYS look into that first.
The reason we have consumer protection is
WE FOUGHT FOR IT!
It cost some people EVERYTHING to fight for the greater good.
I don't know if you're up for that task, but, if you saw it and you have a complaint, it is your responsibility to do something about it.
yeah but in usa dont u guys have lawyer shwo work for a win fee? we dont have that here except for personal injury
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

is that an urban myth?
Interesting you should mention that since the xbox360, which uses a variant of the G5 chip, suffers from the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, bad solder joints and heat problems. I am sure there is something to this..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i tought the xbox had a p3 chip in it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yeah but in usa dont u guys have lawyer shwo work for a win fee? we dont have that here except for personal injury
A lawyer can elect to work on contingency, but, I THINK it's only mandated in personal injury.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i tought the xbox had a p3 chip in it?
sorry, should have been more precise. Xbox360
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm having that issue now...

I'm have the same problem now.... I just hope its the power supply and not the logic board. Because I can't afford to spend that much on a logic board where an extra 1000 can get me a a brand new one.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile G5

Hi !

We are Apple authorized dealer and Certified service center, I work on Macs every day and I have to just sadly agree with this thread. I have a graveyard of G5s with dead boards. I macs are probably the most affected ones because of the power supply failure, which had a replacement program until Dec 2008. I have two G5s and will probably sell them soon.
Thank gods that Intel is in quality control of used capacitors and components for their products. Obviously it makes a huge difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladia - Audeum ➑️
Hi !

We are Apple authorized dealer and Certified service center, I work on Macs every day and I have to just sadly agree with this thread. I have a graveyard of G5s with dead boards. I macs are probably the most affected ones because of the power supply failure, which had a replacement program until Dec 2008. I have two G5s and will probably sell them soon.
Thank gods that Intel is in quality control of used capacitors and components for their products. Obviously it makes a huge difference.
Wow, that's what died on my powersupply, the caps almost "capped" my son when he turned it on and heard it dump it's guts into the air.
Old 1st May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I had a G5 late 2005 dual core 2.0 GHz. About a year and half ago, I switched it on and the problem occurred - roaring fans, unresolved kernel, wouldn't boot into OSX. I did this:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Problem solved but two extra RAM modules I had installed were disabled. These were Crucial and should have been fine. I reseated these RAM modules and everything worked. It continued to work for another year and a half without problems.

Here's the bad news. I just sold it on ebay. Got good feedback. The system was working fine but now the buyer says it has occurred again - wants a refund. I suggested the Command-Option-P-R solution but he simply wants a refund. I think the issue is dodgy RAM.

My advice is this. Don't touch Macs with a barge pole. I don't like Windows. This is why I used the Mac. Windows is not so good for audio and I was using Logic Pro. I have switched to Linux and could not be happier. I am running Ardour. I also have Ardour installed on a little tablet PC which is silent and portable. My desktop PC completely outperforms the Mac (and the PC is actually older!). Ardour makes Logic seem like a joke. OK, so Logic has all the MIDI, instruments etc but generally I've got back to "real" gear rather than plugins etc so this doesn't bother me. Ardour acts exactly like a real mixer. Absolutely no latency noticeable. It starts in a few seconds and is super efficient instead of the hugely bloated Logic.

As for dfegadApple. I thought I had finally ditched them but no. They come back to haunt with this failed G5 ebay sale. I just discovered my G5 was listed as one of the problem ones as described here:

Apple - Support - Power Mac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
ardour - the digital audio workstation

Believe me. This is the future. I've used Protools, Logic - all that rubbish and was never satisfied. These companies are dire. I've subscribed to pay $10 monthly to the Ardour developer. I'm happy with that rather than wash it down the drain with the likes of Apple. I have two Echo sound cards. The Audiofire (used to be connected to the Mac) now (temporarliy) connected to a Windows system (worst luck) but I have a Layla connected to the Linux box and it performs like a dream.

I also run this sythn:

ZynAddSubFX

To hell with Native Instruments (another joke company). ZynAddSubFX is superb. It is being ported to the new Linux instrument plugin format. Eventually it will run in Ardour rather than hooking through Jack. This is the only software synth I use now. Absynth sounds like a bunch of digital number crunching compared to this. The rest of my gear is mostly analog hardware which simply can't be beaten by software anyway so no point in trying.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i agree that apple is border-line mafia.
to the point where, folks like ardour, etc get too successful, they'll end up in cement
overcoats.
i started using macs and daws in 2000.
since then, i've had more equipment go down or be out-dated than ever in my career.
i've lost more money on computers since 2000, than i lost in the 25yrs before that.
in fact, my monitors, pwr amp, mics, gtrs, gtr amps, etc are more than 20yrs old and STILL working.
and with only usual/ minor maintenance.
isn't the idea to MAKE money out of this gear, and not to be a slave to these corporates?
i'll still buy mac, as i hve no choice, but NEVER a new one , only refurbs with apple care,
from now on.
if only there were some real alternatives to Gates and Jobs.
DR9.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Those guys at Apple do try their best to make the very best computer at an affordable price, feature rich, with applications that are affordable and very useful. Imovie, Iphoto, mail, Itunes, they are all stellar programs especially for the price. If they could leave the hardware to someone else and develop apps and systems it would be the best for all concerned..
Old 23rd June 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ask an apple GENIUS

Mine wasn't available to talk to me tonight because there were too many other people demanding the attention of apple GENIUSES.

My dual G5 died a few weeks ago.

I followed someone's advice to have the GENIUSES look at it because they are obviously capable beyond those of us who merely accumulate data about a flawed design.

Folks, I want to share with you the beginings of the end of my last days as an apple customer. For a very brief context, I have owned an Apple 2, along with 14 other machines including 5 currently working machines, and have retired 6 others. Mr. Jobs loaned me an Apple 2 for a movie I produced when there were still educational movies.

I've found microsoft to be the enemy and hated windows accordingly.

However, with the GENIUS's estimate today of $1800 to replace my logicboard, well, folks it's the end of my relationship with Apple. They don't know it yet, but I've already decided to go with an HP machine and run Linux and kiss OSX and Apple goodby forever - so I'm leaving the Apple **** you model - along with all the associated software shuck to the GENIUS-type cool dudes and dudettes who seem to understand just how stupid I've been.

Cordially,
Larry Darnell
Felton CA
Old 26th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just saw this thread...

My dual G5 2.0 died yesterday. All signs point to logic board failure. And this isn't the original board either! Looking at this and other forums, this seems to be something of an epidemic.

Sooo, I've got copy-protected software I need to "dig" out of the machine (so-to-speak. The hard drive is good but the software won't run if it doesn't detect the original hardware) and a UAD-1 PCI card that is no good to me. (definitely not going back to a PCI machine)

Then I can figure out if I want to chance it on another tower, which would run me close to 3k plus another 1k in required software upgrades. I will definitely be looking at ALL my alternatives, that's for sure!

I'm so pissed right now. I need a vacation.
Old 26th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
EVERYBODY WHO HAS A G5 THAT DIED ATTENTION:

DO NOT GO TO MAC GENIUSES OR STORES OR MAC ANYTHING IF YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY UNLESS YOU KNOW YOU CAN GET IT FIXED FOR FREE.

IF NOT, GO TO THIRD PARTY PLACES LIKE SHREVE OR SOME OTHER USED GEAR SELLER WHO SPECIALIZES IN OLDER MACHINES, PARTS, ETC. IF YOU CAN'T GET RELIEF THERE AS A LAST RESORT,
YOU ARE
OUT OF LUCK
and you gotta get a new machine.

If you take it to a genius, they just send it to the nearest fixer and charge you plenty.

That's the computer game, buy one, so you'll need to buy another one later.
Old 29th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The liquid cooled G5's were the worst, but almost every model of the G5 seemed to have a time bomb built into them. It surprises me that apple kept that case design for the mac pro... Most people associate that image with their horrible G5 experience.

If you have a dead or dying G5, my advice would be to make the move to an intel mac. Most 3rd party software development for powerpc has dropped or will be dropping now that they won't be supported with snow leopard. I don't think they're worth fixing at this point. It's just one of those things apple did like the ADC connector that we need to forget if we want to retain our sanity.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
One of the main reasons I jumped ship to Window machines about 8 years ago. Apple's QA has become atrocious for the premium they charge you. I had all kinds of problems with macs. It's been great with pc's. If a motherboard fails I just go out and get another one for $100 bucks, or a power supply for less than that.
kdm
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Our 6 year old dual 1.2G G4 at home is near death with a bad motherboard as well. $700 to replace it - it's so out of date we couldn't sell the computer for $700 if it were working perfectly. Also seems to have a bad video card/interface, combo drive (won't write CDs, just DVDs), and the keyboard sucks as well.

If it were a PC of the same age, I could replace the board for less than $100 - probably the CD/DVD drive and video card (of that age) along with it for less than $150 total.

I already replaced a system drive that the many kernel panics eventually trashed beyond repair, and when I did, I found that the IDE cable had to be less than 3" or the system couldn't see the drive. I've never built a PC that had a problem with a 6 or even 10" cable of any kind. That's nothing but the result of a cheap, cost-cutting, low powered board.

Apparently it isn't just the dual G5s - the silver door G4s seem to have been junk as well (the case is nice, but everything inside is third rate). Yes, "Apple" and "quality" are a contradiction in terms.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➑️
One of the main reasons I jumped ship to Window machines about 8 years ago. Apple's QA has become atrocious for the premium they charge you. I had all kinds of problems with macs. It's been great with pc's. If a motherboard fails I just go out and get another one for $100 bucks, or a power supply for less than that.
Apparently you can do that with macs too now.
How long do you keep a PC before you upgrade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm ➑️
Our 6 year old dual 1.2G G4 at home is near death with a bad motherboard as well. $700 to replace it - it's so out of date we couldn't sell the computer for $700 if it were working perfectly. Also seems to have a bad video card/interface, combo drive (won't write CDs, just DVDs), and the keyboard sucks as well.
Mine does that. It's a G5, I hate that.
Quote:
If it were a PC of the same age, I could replace the board for less than $100 - probably the CD/DVD drive and video card (of that age) along with it for less than $150 total.

I already replaced a system drive that the many kernel panics eventually trashed beyond repair, and when I did, I found that the IDE cable had to be less than 3" or the system couldn't see the drive. I've never built a PC that had a problem with a 6 or even 10" cable of any kind. That's nothing but the result of a cheap, cost-cutting, low powered board.
There may have been other reasons for that.
Quote:
Apparently it isn't just the dual G5s - the silver door G4s seem to have been junk as well (the case is nice, but everything inside is third rate). Yes, "Apple" and "quality" are a contradiction in terms.
I think if their first knee-jerk wasn't to sweep anyone with a real problem under the rug and throw us under a bus as a second, outright lying and truth obfuscation as a third unless we have a lawyer, they'd be keeping me as a customer, but, I could probably fix the bus and the rug at this point.
Maybe they will focus on customer satisfaction more now that Jobs has a new Liver. I know for a fact that when you're waiting on a transplant, you can't really have quality thinking time, no matter how much you think you may really be pulling it off.
Here's hoping it all gets better now.
Old 10th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey guys, i know this thread is 10 months old, but if any of you kind gentlemen with a dead Dual G5 would be interested in helping a poor college student by parting out a power supply, id really appreciate it!

I saved up for 2 years for a damn G5. Bought mine in 05. Ran it to death! i loved that thing. Did Logic and 3D modelling Last year, the logic board went, simply in that the network just quit working altogether.

Apple replaced the board under applecare. Great!

Board lasted 8 months, then i was greeted with the blinking white LED of NO RAM. ie, the socket solder cracked/went bad. Called apple and had to argue weather or not a board should last 8 months. In the end i won, and they fixed it out of applecare. The tech was going to give me a new PSU, Video card, and logic board. But instead some a-hole calls me telling me nothings wrong with anything. Yea. Machine wont always boot, but nothings wrong apparently. So after i tell him to sleep it, get told i know nothing, he calls me back agreeing to only switch logic board.

Great. Get it back, and its damaged. Fans in the bay run at full RPM, i get CPU0 errors and kernel panics left and right.

I did what i never do. Call apple and unload! Ive got 2 G3's running original parts, and this thing couldn't last 5 years??

So they replaced it ..and i mean quick this time. And im sitting here, weekend before thanksgiving, and BOOM!. Power supply blew out.

I called apple, but cmon, with the past i've had why would they help me? I didnt fall under the psu recall..TRIED explaining to the tech i was supposed to get a new psu originally but didnt..

And so now i'm stuck. I had eye surgery a few months back and was using this machine to keep cash flow coming in until i could go back to work. But nope! thanks apple!

And after reading the horror stories, its like whats the point of fixing the thing? It's just going to not work in a few months, that is if the power supply didn't blow out a CPU or logic board on its way out.

Im thinking of going the hackintosh route. Never again will i spend 2k$ on a machine that turns into a 58lb doorstop after only 5 years.

So if anybody out there is interesting inn parting out a power supply, please let me know! i give away an old PC around christmas every year to a family who needs it, i'm hoping karma can back me up this year.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile Dead G5

Hello MadSkillzMan !

I feel your pain man. Your story touched me, and I can totally relate to you in that regard. I run Apple service center and have a few dead G5s here , unfortunatelly the same problems occured. PSUs and Logic Boards.
I don't have a PSU around otherwise I'd fix some of the G5 that are sitting around. In most cases it's just simply not worth fixing.
As we know, Apple is not in business fixing computers, they are in business selling them !! So, that's wh they make us pay so much for replacement parts. Considering that the same parts including, CPU, Memory, Hard Drives, Optical Drives, Chipset and Video Cards are exactly the same as you can buy in any PC shop is ridiculous.
You mentioned Hackintosh , That's the way many people went. Buy a good Intel Chipset board with high quality capacitors and Onboard Oxford Firewire controller and the rest is up to you. Then dualboot XP and OS X.
You'll be golden. You can build it in your G5 tower if you want to be crafty and modify the case a bit :-)
Sorry, but that seems to be the most reasonable thing to do, years ago I couldn't believe the poor quality of componenets used in Apple products, later I just simply accepted it. Apple is doing a great job marketting and designing their products, but they are so proud of it that they slap such a price tag on it that it makes foolish to pay for fixing it becuse you cannot rely on that system. Ever. Sorry to say. Love the design, hate the problems.
I know I just poured more oil into the fire. Not my intention though.
Have a good day and good luck with your new iatkos or similar :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My G5 logic board finally croaked and I was insured so I will get new computers.
Get insurance, Apple care is fine but real insurance from Clarion or some other is better. If it dies, you get another computer, a new one.
I just checked out the new Imacs, killer, I can't wait.
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi Ladia,

Yea i even tried digging for the schematics..i tookt he PSU to work, to an electrical engineer and he said he couldn't fix it without the drawings...which sucks..you wouldn't happen to have said schematics at your service center would you?

I'm just ticked. I had an issue with an iPod nano over the summer. A hole burnt INTO the screen! Being i fix HDTVs, ive seen it all, and thats exactly what it was

I sat on it for months, thinking it was out of warranty..found the applecare just a few weeks ago. Called in, explained what happened...first guy tells me i'm being charged for this phone call.i said go right ahead...called back..next guy flips out and tells me i HAVE to bring it in. He was pushing me to setup an appointment and such..i tried explaining to the guy i can't drive but he was so pushy about getting an appointment. Finally i had to just say NO!

So while i was out for a followup appointment after surgery this past week, we stopped at the applestore. First the woman at the door accused me of getting it wet. What? So i told her, use your little flashlight, check the headphone jack, the disc is still white (ive worked on enough of these) So i said i need an appointment, which is NEVER any longer than waiting 15 or 20 minutes. Yea, its 1130am, she tells me they might be able to squeeze me in by 330pm. Really? 4 hours? just to exchange my ipod?

I emailed apple's customer relations, and POLITELY asked and explained, but they just ignored it.

I'm ticked. I never had much faith in companies when it came to electronics. I fix em. I mean i see whats wrong with literally every darn brand name out there. Especially with computers. but i always liked apple,. Cause their products always just worked. And if they didn't, they were very kind and took care of you. Now its "we'll take your money and when it craps out, give you the run around til you give up.

I feel like Moe from the Simpsons. When he believed in the leader and it all fell apart lol.

Im curious how the hackintosh would hold up on stressed programs..ie logic, Cinema4d.etc...i see benchmarks and such, but i wont feel confident until i actually try it, especially compared to an actual mac. I went to mac, because i was tired of PC parts blowing out (having a machine stressed at 100% for days on end will do that) and it just got too costly. I'm afraid that if i go hackintosh, ii'll be back where i started years ago.
πŸ“ Reply