Quantcast
Looking for a website for private streaming - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a website for private streaming
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looking for a website for private streaming

Does anybody know of a website that I could stream music on that has a username and password? The reason I need to know is, there are a couple of people I want to hear some songs, but I don't want it to be available for just anyone to download or stream. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
what I usually do is make an unlinked page on my website and put the files there. A "blind" page some people call it. Make up a wacky name for the page.

Nobody else even knows the page exists, much less what the name of it is, so you don't have to worry about the General Public stumbling onto it. In a sense, the URL for the page IS the password.

You have to trust the people you are giving the URL to, but then you would have to trust them with the password too, wouldn't you?

I suppose it is pretty casual security, but if you think about it, it is pretty decent for the everyday - and you can take it down as soon as they get the files. So basically any place that will give you the option of making and naming your own pages (and leaving them unlinked) would do.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Soundcloud is great for this, i use it all the time.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
what I usually do is make an unlinked page on my website and put the files there. A "blind" page some people call it. Make up a wacky name for the page.

Nobody else even knows the page exists, much less what the name of it is, so you don't have to worry about the General Public stumbling onto it. In a sense, the URL for the page IS the password.

You have to trust the people you are giving the URL to, but then you would have to trust them with the password too, wouldn't you?
If you have your own site using linux based hosting you can also password protect a folder using a .htaccess file inside the folder. Most hosting services have a graphical point, click and type interface to set it up through the control panel.

Travis
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tried SoundCloud. And definitely a "Cloud" it is. They let you upload wavs and then they convert it to mp3. Is there anyway to stream wav files without setting up a website for it? It can be a pay service...but the songs I upload need to be 16 bit 44.1, no compression.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Source-Live Gateway

Rail
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thats a plugin. That streams from Pro Tools. Not exactly what I need. I need them to be hosted on the internet. But in Wav format, without setting up my own website. How could something like that not exist? There must be thousands that do it with mp3's. How hard could it be?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️

I suppose it is pretty casual security, but if you think about it, it is pretty decent for the everyday - and you can take it down as soon as they get the files. So basically any place that will give you the option of making and naming your own pages (and leaving them unlinked) would do.
One important caveat in this hiding 'unlinked' approach... there must be an index page for that internet directory (depending on server settings) or simply typing in the directory name might produce a file list of the directory. This was the default behavior of many servers in years past, when the 'net was a very different place.

But, outside of that, if no one knows -- or can guess -- that the file is there (and a non-obvious name will go a long way to obscuring the fact) and it's not linked from anywhere on the web (email is okay as long as no one posts the email, of course), the file is as good as hidden. One can go farther to prevent unauthorized folks from accessing it, of course, a password protected directory will do it, but it's not likely to be necessary.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens119 ➑️
Thats a plugin. That streams from Pro Tools. Not exactly what I need. I need them to be hosted on the internet. But in Wav format, without setting up my own website. How could something like that not exist? There must be thousands that do it with mp3's. How hard could it be?
It does support Live-to-File using MP4 files.

I don't know of anything that can stream full bandwidth WAV files... you'd need to look into a hardware solution (ISDN). Most folks use an FTP site to keep the files, their customers can download them to listen. Or get their IP addresses and limit the web page using the .htaccess file.

Rail
πŸ“ Reply