Quantcast
Archiving Project - DA88 / 2408 / DAW - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Archiving Project - DA88 / 2408 / DAW
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Archiving Project - DA88 / 2408 / DAW

i've got an upcoming archive project - transferring old DA88 sessions - some are only 16tr - others are 32tr - to digital.

gear we have:

4x Tascam DA88 w/ remote - though only 2 are working properly at the moment.. they do have the SY88 Sync Cards w/ RCA SMPTE i/o - BNC word i/o - and MIDI i/o

1x MOTU 2408 mk1 (w/ PCI 324?? card) - need to reinstall drivers and Audiodesk App.

1x Mac G4 dual 1GHz running OS X 10.4.11

since we only have 2 working machines - were looking for a way to achieve multiple transfer passes - ie. tracks 1-16 first pass, tracks 17-32 on second pass... you get the idea.

some of the sessions are live shows - these are most important to retain phase accurate locking between multiple transfers of tracks - other projects are studio based and could survive a little nudging of 2nd pass transfer tracks if necessary...

one early idea i had was to use a single identifiable track from 1-8 with all second pass transfers - an example would be: tracks 1-16 (tapes 1 & 2) will include a snare track - next group of transfers would be 17-24 (tapes 1 & 3) and i'll include the snare with this transfer as a duplicate... same thing on the third pass (if required for 32 tracks) - tracks 25-32 (tapes 1 & 4) will include a second duplicate of the snare.... after all transfers are in the DAW - i could then group tracks and line up the duplicate snares (and corresponding transfer tracks of dup snares) to the original snare - in hopes of achieving something close to locked.

with all of this kludging in mind:

what's the best way to lock the DAW to the DA88 machines?

is this even do'able? with our current setup?

i'm just starting research on this - but any advice is welcome.

thanks!
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
nobody? Suggestions?
📝 Reply