Quantcast
CAREFUL with FTP programs offering a "resume" function - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CAREFUL with FTP programs offering a "resume" function
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Exclamation CAREFUL with FTP programs offering a "resume" function

I had a weird issue with glitches in a WAV file that were obviously induced through the uploading on a server...

because the connection failed many times, my FTP program (Filezilla), being able to do so, resumed the partly already uploaded file many times until it was succesfully uploaded

Yet the WAV had all these glitches at the respective points of the connection losses

=the file's integrity was distorted

I found it surprising that the file still worked even if it was not 100% the one I uploaded

This is a primitive example but rather scary

How do you deal with data integrity issues?
Old 10th February 2009
GS Community Manager

I've had similar issues with FTP in general, not just with any sort of "resume" function...

Fairly big files (~600mb .WAVs) were zipped then uploaded to a server.

When they downloaded them on the other end, there were occasional bursts of white noise in the sound, every now & then.

Uploading them non-zipped solved the problem. Dunno whose end it happened on (unzipping them here showed no problems) but clearly there is voodoo going on in these transfers.

Just a word of warning... keep backups!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
terminal3

That sounds like it could be a problem with the zipping or unzipping application, to me.

Which is not to say that FTP errors don't occur (obviously, something went wrong with ilovemusic's file) but the FTP program should catch the problem with a checksum operation.

The fact that the transfer went OK with an unzipped file in your case makes me think the zip/unzip program may have at fault.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…