NAS disk sollution - anyone? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAS disk sollution - anyone?
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
NAS disk sollution - anyone?

Hi,

Anyone using a NAS (Network attached storage) for audio- and videowork?

The thing for me is....

I use mac for video and graphics work, and I use Cakewalk Sonar for audiowork (Win only). These choices are not to be discussed in the thred/question here. The thing for me is thou - that I have a need for diskspace that I can use (load & save) from both platforms. In addition to this I'm in need of large storage (video scratchdisks, sample-library, audio-project etc).

I'm investigating the NAS-approach to disk storage now, and the idea of using the network (TCP/IP) port is appealing. 1 Gbit bandwith for the disk, and still have full bandwith left to my fireface800 audio-I/O (via firewire 400/800). The NAS-sollution would mean no more problem using the same disk-space from both OS-X and WinXP (familiar with files and folders... possibility to change file/folder-structure not depending on what OS I happen to be in at the moment... etc etc).

There are a million different NAS-sollutions out there, and my question here is - anyone here at gearslutz using a NAS-sollution like the one I'm describing? Tips on models/makers? I'm thinking of NAS-"boxes" with at least 4 disk-slots (3 disks in raid-5, and a forth disk for "extras").

Anyone?

/Melker
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been looking into it for my video editing but it's a too expensive for me to set up for home.

What sort of Mac have you got? Are you using Final Cut and Adobe Apps?

I would just go to a respected Video NAS dealer and get them to make the thing for me, it's not as easy as assembling all the equipment, you need good knowledge in networking etc, i'm afraid it's going to be an expenive exercise for you.

Have you considered just getting a solution soley for your mac and forgetting about Windows (Sonar) you probably don't need NAS raid storage for Audio at all, and I doubt you need or can be on both platforms at once.

If you have a MAcpro have a look at the Areca cards and a good 8-12 SAN disk array, Dulce systems make some great arrays
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
also, look into Drobo, it's a personal SAN. lightning fast.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 1a30a04
That Drobo looks pretty cool. You can Firewire800 or LAN it (with
the DroboShare).

I just wouldn't put any Seagate drives in there!

For video work (setting up render farms), most people are
using Fibre Channel with either SATA or SAS (preferred for HD)
drives.

If you just have two or three machines, then you can get away
with the Gigabit eithernet as long as you limit the traffic
on that LAN.

jeff
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…