Quantcast
Strictly Digital - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Strictly Digital
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Strictly Digital

I've recently decided to turn my PC into a workstation... I have upgraded XP home to XP 64bit and have added 4gigs of ram... My engineer suggested that I go digitally into my other daw and with doing so there is no need for a high end sound card cause digital is Digital... He suggested something like the Audiophile192... The thing that's makes me nervous is I have upgraded to very high end VSTI's Symphonic Platinum and Ominsphere to name a few and want to get the best quality possible. I guess my question is would the digital quality on a Audiophile192 equal the same as say a RME HDSP 9632 or Lynx L22???

Setup:

PC computer for VSTI's (Think Muse Receptor) Digitally into my iMac24 via Ensemble.

I have searched a lot of threads on here and didn't find the answer I was looking for so any advice would be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

I also have a Big Ben.
Old 10th February 2009
Deleted 1a30a04
Can you describe what you do with your rig? Is it live performance,
soft-synths, a combination? Your usage will dictate the kind of rig
you will need. Sometimes it's all digital, sometimes it's hybrid,
sometimes it's all analog ..

jeff
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the quick response...

Main use will be soft-synths studio use only.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Saccs ➡️
I guess my question is would the digital quality on a Audiophile192 equal the same as say a RME HDSP 9632 or Lynx L22???
The quality of the converters does not matter, given your instruments host has SPDIF out. What you need is good cables, the ability to sort out the clock mastership (I'd try to set the digital out of your instruments host to be the clock master, so on your new machine the clock source would be Digital IN), and stable drivers. I believe the Audiophile192 will be good enough.

Quote:
I also have a Big Ben.
What's that?
Old 10th February 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Saccs ➡️
I've recently decided to turn my PC into a workstation... I have upgraded XP home to XP 64bit and have added 4gigs of ram... My engineer suggested that I go digitally into my other daw and with doing so there is no need for a high end sound card cause digital is Digital... He suggested something like the Audiophile192... The thing that's makes me nervous is I have upgraded to very high end VSTI's Symphonic Platinum and Ominsphere to name a few and want to get the best quality possible. I guess my question is would the digital quality on a Audiophile192 equal the same as say a RME HDSP 9632 or Lynx L22???

Setup:

PC computer for VSTI's (Think Muse Receptor) Digitally into my iMac24 via Ensemble.

I have searched a lot of threads on here and didn't find the answer I was looking for so any advice would be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

I also have a Big Ben.
The Choice depends on what software your using, and what DSP Input Mixer Solution you would prefer to have in your studio. All of these things will work, but I suspect the RME and the L22 are better, more reliable choices. I would suggest the L22 would be GREAT as it also has 2 channels of really good AD/DA. In this price range, there are seldom better choices for sonic's, of course, in my opinion and experience. The Low end is WAY more focused, and the top end is clearly more accurate than most.
📝 Reply