Quantcast
Profire 610, AC Power or NOt. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Profire 610, AC Power or NOt.
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Profire 610, AC Power or NOt.

This is from the M-Audio FAQ. The particular passages are bolded. In the first part of the answer, it says, do NOT use the power supply if you're using a 6 pin firewire cable. In the starred follow-up under that, it says to use it for improved performance with the 610. Which do you guys do? (those who own the 610 that is).
Q: With the exception of the ProFire 2626, ProjectMix I/O and NRV10, M-Audio FireWire interfaces can get their power from the 1394 bus, so why do these interfaces include a power adapter in the box?

A: PC Laptop and desktop users with the I-Link 4-pin 1394 interface need to use the 12 VDC power adapter provided in order to power an M-Audio FireWire interface for operation on their computers. If you are connecting your M-Audio FireWire device to a 6-pin connector on your computer, the unit will be powered through the FireWire cable - do NOT use the provided power supply when using a 6-pin connection! *

* note: the ProFire 2626, ProjectMix I/O and NRV10 are exceptions, these devices are not powered by your computer's FireWire bus, and require the included power adapter at all times.
* note: For improved performance, it is advised to use the power adapter with the Profire 610 even when it has access to bus power.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think M-Audio was stating in general that FW interfaces are not recommended to use adaptor when use in conjunction with the 6 pin firewire connector, with the exception of Profire 610.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I got the Profire 610 and i was thinking of the same thing when i was reading the manual then i asked the same question on the m audio forum and one of the moderator advised to use the power adapter
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My understanding & experience is the power supply can add some noise.
I have the fw1814 & only use the 6 pin cable for power & get a great result. The M-Audio reps I sopke with all recommend not using the power supply unless, of course you run 4 pin FW.
I believe the 610 will be the same, unless something has changed with the new design.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Do not use the AC power adapter unless your PC doesn't supply power. It is possible to damage the device like this. M-Audio used to mention this possibility in their warning. Now they simply say don't do it.

It's a little weird that there's an exception for the 610. I would interpret this to mean that on the average, one probably won't cause damage when using AC power, but there are some circumstances where one can. The exception being the 610, which seems to be more power-hungry and might on the average require AC power as well.
Old 8th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
You should always double power the unit for best performance. I had the same question and got the following response from m-audio tech support

"The preamps work better when the unit is double powered. When running only on bus power there is only just enough power for the 610 to operate, but preamps aren't able to provide the maximum dynamic range."

I think this pretty much only applies to the 610 though. Their advice for other units is not to double power them. I don't know what the policy here is on linking to other forums but if you search:

Bus power vs. power supply - confused (profire 610)

You should be able to find the original thread on the m-audio forum. Just google "bus power 610" it should come up.
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Profire 610 seems to have two undocumented "secrets". One is the mentioned double power with ac adapter-secret to get the preamps to provide the maximum dynamic range.
The other one is that both the inputs and outputs are balanced ...
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
haha yep you're right. I've asked questions on both those threads actually! It's a shame they're not more clear about the actual specifications of their products. It seems like a good box, but I don't think I'll be buying m-audio again; I wonder how many people are getting substandard signals from their profire because they don't know it's 'secrets'?
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran255 ➑️
haha yep you're right. I've asked questions on both those threads actually! It's a shame they're not more clear about the actual specifications of their products. It seems like a good box, but I don't think I'll be buying m-audio again; I wonder how many people are getting substandard signals from their profire because they don't know it's 'secrets'?
My 610 was buggy as hell, so I returned it. I had used an 1814 before that and sold it unfortunately. It was stable as hell.

After I returned the 610, I just got an old 410 to get things back to normal. Bugginess gone. Back to making music.
Old 22nd February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese ➑️
heh.. 410.. Good luck with that. It might work for a year or two, but don't depend on it for more than that.
I know I started this thread a year ago, but this comment is soooo appropriate. It's now one year later and my "stable" 410 is anything but. It's a pain in the ass. 20% of the time it's not recognized when booting. 80% of the time it won't sync properly with my RME ADI-2.

And Ironically, the only fix I've found is hot-plugging the the firewire cable in the back of the 410, even though this is supposed to be a big no-no. A couple times I was like "screw it" cause I was desperate to get it going and sick of rebooting over and over with no change.

I decided to give the 610 another shot and ordered one up from Sweetwater. If that doesn't work I don't know what the hell I'm gonna do. LOL. Fast Track Ultra anyone?
Gear Addict

I've had my 410 for 4 years. Not one problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianof1 ➑️
I've had my 410 for 4 years. Not one problem.
Which driver version are you using?
Old 23rd February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why dont you look at something else ? From what i can tell, the focusrite looks good and its cheaper (at least where where i live)..

Saffire PRO 24 Audio Interfaces 16 In / 8 Out FireWire audio interface featuring two Focusrite pre-amps
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb ➑️
Why dont you look at something else ? From what i can tell, the focusrite looks good and its cheaper (at least where where i live)..

Saffire PRO 24 Audio Interfaces 16 In / 8 Out FireWire audio interface featuring two Focusrite pre-amps
Two words.. Pro, Tools. If I wasn't so comfortable in Pro Tools, I'd definitely be looking at the Focusrite stuff, or even saving a bit and getting an RME Fireface. As a personal side project, I'm learning Samplitude in the hopes that someday I might be comfortable enough in that to free myself from PT, but that ain't happening yet. So unfortunately, I'm limited in this regard.
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DO NOT use the power cord..it is only to be used if you are using the 610 as a stand alone pre adat!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeah, about 2 minutes after posting this i realised it might be a pro tools thing..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR ➑️
DO NOT use the power cord..it is only to be used if you are using the 610 as a stand alone pre adat!
My understanding was you are actually advised to use the power cord with the 610 for "improved performance". I believe M-Audio has stated the firewire bus has "just enough" power to power the 610, but using the power adapter could maximize the preamp usage.
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
My understanding was you are actually advised to use the power cord with the 610 for "improved performance". I believe M-Audio has stated the firewire bus has "just enough" power to power the 610, but using the power adapter could maximize the preamp usage.
You are right, the 610 is one of the few that you can do it with...here is the page with the info if anyone wants it

Bus power vs. power supply - confused (profire 610))
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR ➑️
You are right, the 610 is one of the few that you can do it with...here is the page with the info if anyone wants it

Bus power vs. power supply - confused (profire 610))
Thanks for posting that think. That exactly the thread I was thinking of when I posted above.
Old 9th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Funny enough. Another year has passed and another M-Audio interface I was using, that was rock solid is now a PITA and it's going. lol.

The ProFire has done a number of weird things in the past month or two.

Once, all MIDI IO completely stopped. I had to reinstall the driver to get it working again.

Three times it stopped outputting audio. The M-Audio mixer showed the activity, yet nothing coming out of the ports. A few driver reinstallations needed there as well.

Now it acts up like a little b*itch if I daisy chain it. Gives me underflow errors in Pro Tools and overflow errors in Logic Pro.

I've since stopped daisy chaining and put my audio drive on USB. Not what I wanted, but I need to be able to work. I'm debating getting the new Duet 2, or the Focusrite Scarlett USB 2.0 (lot cheaper than the Duet).

Either way, I can't wait to be done with M-Audio for good.
πŸ“ Reply