Quantcast
Waves now with a "24 payments / 0% interest" plan - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves now with a "24 payments / 0% interest" plan
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Waves now with a "24 payments / 0% interest" plan

Waves now has...... 24 monthly payments at 0%.....

Hmm......

http://www.web-view.net/Show/0X511E3...DB251A4443.htm
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So does this mean they're realizing ppl are finding other plugs now & not wantin to spend all the money to lease their plugs anymore? I have a lot of waves stuff but I'm done with them myself but of course thatz my personal preference & opinion...
Old 9th February 2009
Deleted 1a30a04
I think it's the global economy more so than any other factors. With
banks squeezing lines of credit, this seems like a
logical move on their part.

jeff
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The terms have retroactive interest if payment is not made in full by the day or if any payment is late.

Count on it.

These things are a trap; it's just a new source of revenue for them. Payment plans are presented as a gracious option for customers (and will be for some customers), but statistics don't lie. Partially, it' people asking "what can i afford per month?" that put our economy in this ****-heap.

If you can't afford to pay for it all, then a payment plan is not a better better way if you are already that broke.

Save your money and pay in full.

No credit.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20 ➡️
The terms have retroactive interest if payment is not made in full by the day or if any payment is late.

Count on it.

These things are a trap; it's just a new source of revenue for them. Payment plans are presented as a gracious option for customers (and will be for some customers), but statistics don't lie. Partially, it' people asking "what can i afford per month?" that put our economy in this ****-heap.

If you can't afford to pay for it all, then a payment plan is not a better better way if you are already that broke.

Save your money and pay in full.

No credit.

well - might be true for the individual but that's NOT how you run a business. Cash flow is the single most important managerial aspect of a business and spreading payments is ABSOLUTELY a must. The trick is to manage that credit carefully. Credit makes the economy, not destroys it - it's when you overload that you have problems. The balance of credit is indeed the very foundation of economics - you CANNOT run a successful economy of C.O.D. type business!

Do you think factories (or studios) OWN any of the £300k pressing machines (heck - £3million for that matter!!) ? Oil rigs aren't OWNED. Worth and commerce at business levels revolves around lease and mortgage....

Risk is part of business - but if you're drawing in £10k a month running a studio you certainly would be an idiot to go and blow all of it on the Mercury package outright. The wisest thing to do would be to get three months overheads in the bank and THEN purchase based on spread payments. However - i DO agree - the interest thing would be a bummer. I've not looked into it - but that would be a no-no for me !!
GS Community Manager

There's not a lot of fine print available publicly, these are the only T&Cs on their site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves
Terms and Conditions
• Monthly payments and final purchase price are calculated according to MSRP.
• This purchase may not be combined with any other specials or promotional offers.
• Credit card used for purchase must be valid until the end of the payment period.
• Products purchased under Waves Monthly Payment Program cannot be upgraded or transferred until the end of the payment period.
The most interesting is of course the first one - so you're paying Full Waves Price for it, no matter what. I would argue that this is effectively equivalent to paying a crippling APR because you can buy the same product for 20-40% cheaper through Waves dealers. So you'll have better cash flow not having to drop it all at once and keep your money for a while, but on the flipside, in the end the whole deal is going to leave you much more out of pocket.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
well - might be true for the individual but that's NOT how you run a business. Cash flow is the single most important managerial aspect of a business and spreading payments is ABSOLUTELY a must. The trick is to manage that credit carefully. Credit makes the economy, not destroys it - it's when you overload that you have problems. The balance of credit is indeed the very foundation of economics - you CANNOT run a successful economy of C.O.D. type business!

Do you think factories (or studios) OWN any of the £300k pressing machines (heck - £3million for that matter!!) ? Oil rigs aren't OWNED. Worth and commerce at business levels revolves around lease and mortgage....

Risk is part of business - but if you're drawing in £10k a month running a studio you certainly would be an idiot to go and blow all of it on the Mercury package outright. The wisest thing to do would be to get three months overheads in the bank and THEN purchase based on spread payments. However - i DO agree - the interest thing would be a bummer. I've not looked into it - but that would be a no-no for me !!

Of course;

All very true and well-stated.

However, our culture over here in the US has taken debt to a new level-- everything is on a "payment plan" from our furniture to our cars and even our groceries. We were in debt up to our necks (still are) with no cash reserves and no safety net. You are correct- I'm talking about the individual.

There is no need to finance plugins.. that's alls I'm sayin'. I'll respectfully debate that position with anyone who might disagree. And having worked for a credit card company, I can tell you this is not some benign gesture; it's simple calculation of human behaviour. A certian percentage of us gearslutz will pay late, or pay interest.

The pro-sumer gear market was booming from inexperienced people with credit cards ready to get the latest peice of vintage reissue gear and "warm" preamps from Sweetwater or Guitar Center who are more than happy to finance it for you themselves.. knowing that once you start the habit, it's just as easy to ask them to throw on a new interface.... and heck, we could use a new MacPro while we're at it. "And max out the ram! It's only ___ more per month anyway."

It's caught up with us.

Be a gearslut- but act your wage!
FBM
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It's the same situation in the UK at the moment! Paying cash can save you up to 40% (from a music store)! Paying in 24 month's cost you 40% more. Who has more cash-flow???!!!! In the two years??!!
Dvid
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I always take advantage of the no interest for a year of so. I did it with my lawn tractor, furniture, and other recording gear I purchased from Sam Ash or GC. The thing is, I make sure it's paid off before the due date so I don't get slammed. I have paid off all of them within the time periord. Personally I would love to own Mercury, however I really don't need any more plug ins from any company. I have enough.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Will you get wuped arfter the 1st year?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBM ➡️
It's the same situation in the UK at the moment! Paying cash can save you up to 40% (from a music store)! Paying in 24 month's cost you 40% more. Who has more cash-flow???!!!! In the two years??!!
Dvid
paying over 24 months !! Who has paid more money - the 24months also. As I pointed out above - cashflow is very important in business... even more important than net profit (gosh !! )

But yes - i agree with the poster who replied to me (sorry forgot the name !!)... financing plugins is a bit silly since they have no residual value and look bad on a balance sheet.

Mind you - it'd be interesting if Waves introduced a lease system proper.... so you constantly pay your lease amount (like on a property or mix console) and get use and support. At the moment what they do with WUP is neither purchase nor lease, but some uncomfortable in between notion.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20 ➡️
Of course;

All very true and well-stated.

However, our culture over here in the US has taken debt to a new level-- everything is on a "payment plan" from our furniture to our cars and even our groceries. We were in debt up to our necks (still are) with no cash reserves and no safety net. You are correct- I'm talking about the individual.

There is no need to finance plugins.. that's alls I'm sayin'. I'll respectfully debate that position with anyone who might disagree. And having worked for a credit card company, I can tell you this is not some benign gesture; it's simple calculation of human behaviour. A certian percentage of us gearslutz will pay late, or pay interest.

The pro-sumer gear market was booming from inexperienced people with credit cards ready to get the latest peice of vintage reissue gear and "warm" preamps from Sweetwater or Guitar Center who are more than happy to finance it for you themselves.. knowing that once you start the habit, it's just as easy to ask them to throw on a new interface.... and heck, we could use a new MacPro while we're at it. "And max out the ram! It's only ___ more per month anyway."

It's caught up with us.

Be a gearslut- but act your wage!
it's just about balance isn't it (pardon the unintended pun)? Credit crises occur when those who aren't capable of controlling there net and gross worth spend outlandishly. So yes - completely agree. Overheads are just the same. It's easy to add £50 per month onto ten things and suddenly begin to compromise the wages of one staff member!

I've always looked at it this way - I COULD afford to buy it outright now, but I'm going to lease to maintain cashflow.... Of course, now I own it all
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It´s very kind of you...Waves but no,thank you!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are much more affordable (and better) plugins out there, and I never thought the Waves stuff was all that special anyway. Why would anyone want to put their butt on the line for 2 years, paying off software? Seems silly to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some years ago, after the umpteenth time renewing my "maintenance plan" (?) just to use the software I once bought and paid for in the future, going through the hassle to update the iLok drivers etc. repeatedly etc. for dedicated DAWs not connected to internet I realized, that Waves once was an audio software company and today is a bank...
I would never ever buy anything again from them, unless my career absolutely depends on it.
FBM
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I've always looked at it this way - I COULD afford to buy it outright now, but I'm going to lease to maintain cashflow.... Of course, now I own it all
When your cash flow is so low that you rather pay 40% more in two years then paying cash and get a discount of 40%.
With such a prices.
I would consider a different business! 40%!!!!!! Better take a lone from a bank and pay cash. You pay 1/4 with the today's bank rates of this "OFFER"!
Just my 40% Dvid

🎧 10 years
Quote:
When your cash flow is so low that you rather pay 40% more in two years then paying cash and get a discount of 40%.
With such a prices.
I would consider a different business! 40%!!!!!! Better take a lone from a bank and pay cash. You pay 1/4 with the today's bank rates of this "OFFER"!
Just my 40% Dvid
not the point. When I can offset on ANYTHING I purchase I way up the pro's and cons. I wouldn't, as it happens, take up Waves on this "offer".... but I was more debating the rudiments of straight out payment against cashflow.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➡️
So does this mean they're realizing ppl are finding other plugs now & not wantin to spend all the money to lease their plugs anymore? I have a lot of waves stuff but I'm done with them myself but of course thatz my personal preference & opinion...
It's the same reason why Starbucks now has a dollar menu.
The economy has gone to $hit and everyone is adjusting what and how they are charging their customers.
"Value Added" is a phrase you will be hearing a lot in the next few years.
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd ➡️
It's the same reason why Starbucks now has a dollar menu.
The economy has gone to $hit and everyone is adjusting what and how they are charging their customers.
"Value Added" is a phrase you will be hearing a lot in the next few years.
I don't think there's anything "value added" though with this deal...

Maybe if you could do it through your Waves dealer somehow and get a better price, but who pays full retail for Waves plug-ins?

Waves needs to come out with a discount series of plug-ins for $1 each. Then we'll talk.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 ➡️
I don't think there's anything "value added" though with this deal...

Maybe if you could do it through your Waves dealer somehow and get a better price, but who pays full retail for Waves plug-ins?

Waves needs to come out with a discount series of plug-ins for $1 each. Then we'll talk.

YEAHHHH

Then they can get my interest; otherwise, as I always say, Fark Wavesfuuck

Not u though Tony Just Waves
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For the record, I don't like the WUP either.
But Waves makes great plugins and for the price, they are worth it.

Honestly they are no different than any other manufacturer right now. Large and small companies are scrambling to stay alive.

These are really bad economic times.
Have you seen the list of companies that have filled for bankruptcy?
Bally Total Fitness, Circuit City, KB Toys, Kmart, Lehman Brothers, MCI Inc., Macy's, Inc., Mervyns, Montgomery Ward, The Sharper Image, Trans World Airlines, Tribune Company, UAL Corporation, US Airways, United Airlines, Washington Mutual, Zenith Electronics
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I come to these waves thread not because I use waves anymore, but just to say fuuckwaves. Lamest company I have ever dealt with.
out
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 ➡️
The most interesting is of course the first one - so you're paying Full Waves Price for it, no matter what. I would argue that this is effectively equivalent to paying a crippling APR because you can buy the same product for 20-40% cheaper through Waves dealers.
This... I'm no mathematician, but it seems like even if you have a credit card with a high 15% interest rate, you'd be better off buying it from a dealer or ebay where you get it much cheaper.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For the record, I don't like the WUP either.
But Waves makes great plugins and for the price, they are worth it.
I agree with this which is why I will further say Fark Waves simply because for all the money paid for them & for them to want to charge ppl yearly for something you've paid so much for already; I understand updates as I update all my plugs WHEN NEEDED & don't have to pay a leasing price once a yr.

Quote:
Honestly they are no different than any other manufacturer right now. Large and small companies are scrambling to stay alive.

These are really bad economic times.
Have you seen the list of companies that have filled for bankruptcy?
Bally Total Fitness, Circuit City, KB Toys, Kmart, Lehman Brothers, MCI Inc., Macy's, Inc., Mervyns, Montgomery Ward, The Sharper Image, Trans World Airlines, Tribune Company, UAL Corporation, US Airways, United Airlines, Washington Mutual, Zenith Electronics
Again I agree but as before, how many of these companies, after we buy from them, do we have to pay them every year thereafter to use whatever WE bought from them As in PAID IN FULL...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Dvid
payments r written off anyway. It's good for businesses that have cash flow but cant drop the whole knot.
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
Waves now has...... 24 monthly payments at 0%.....

Hmm......

http://www.web-view.net/Show/0X511E3...DB251A4443.htm

Next I suppose they'll be asking for a government bail out.

There's going to be a big shake-out in the industry, I'm afraid. Expect to see NAMM shows shrink, shrink, shrinkin' away...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️

There's going to be a big shake-out in the industry, I'm afraid. Expect to see NAMM shows shrink, shrink, shrinkin' away...

🎧 10 years
Quote:

well - if they pay for a few less tanks and helicopters I'm sure they can help.....
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Yup.

The banks are stealing our money. It's called "bailout" - funded by us, the taxpayers. Bailout my arse. That money is GONE. Get used to it. There will be more, Obama or whatever puppet occupies the White House/No.10/parliaments around the world.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
Yup.

The banks are stealing our money. It's called "bailout" - funded by us, the taxpayers. Bailout my arse. That money is GONE. Get used to it. There will be more, Obama or whatever puppet occupies the White House/No.10/parliaments around the world.
Don't get me wrong.

It appears very much that we need to do something or we will see widespread collapse that will take many, many years (maybe decades) to grow beyond.

With regard to debt -- consumer debt, mortgages, the banks, they're icing on the cake -- the real black hole has been government borrowing and expenditure; 8 years ago the government was running in the black but now has generated an epochal mountain of corrosive debt.

What's amusing -- in that not so ha ha way -- is that some of the very same legislators and power blocs that voted over and over to spend and borrow over the last 8 years are NOW purporting to be 'fiscal conservatives.' I don't know who they think they're fooling -- but they ain't fooling this ol' cowboy.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…