Quantcast
i need a simple, free audio app for mac - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
i need a simple, free audio app for mac
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i need a simple, free audio app for mac

i have to do a simple recording session using my macbook pro and onyx 1608 with firewire option.

the only DAW i know and use is protools, but i can't use it this time - no PT hardware will be available, ony a mackie 1608 console with firewire option

i know there are several free, simple DAWs for mac

all i need it to do is to record 3 tracks at once and play back the background track.

monitoring latency is not an issue, because i will be able to make an analog cue mix using 1608 mixer.

i have tried to record with TRAKTION, which i got for free with my 1608 firewire card, but there's one serious issue with it - it records with latency. i mean, after record pass, the recorded track is DELAYED in session (for example 20 ms, if that's the audio interface latency).

any help will be appreciated
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
one more feature i need - exporting (rendering, bouncing) all tracks in session with one click (TRAKTION can do it, as far as i know ABLETON LIVE too).

i mean - i would not need to solo every single track and render the output, then next track, and again and again...

Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you could try REAPER | About
the mac version.
i heard recently of something called XOwave i think it was called for mac.
found the link.
XO Wave
hitsquad.com has a ton of freebies.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Why not Garage Band, it's right inside your Mac!
Sonny
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsstudio ➑️
Why not Garage Band, it's right inside your Mac!
Sonny
+1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if i used garage band i would have to render every track separately (solo, render, next one, solo, render, next one, slo, render, next one, rolo, sender... oops)

i have installed REAPER

looks like it's exactly what i need

can use it for free for 30 days
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i would go with audacity for the basic stuff that you are doing. reaper is way less streamlined. in recording school the first daw we had to learn was audacity, and it is definitely capable of more than people give it credit for. and totally free!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alackey ➑️
i would go with audacity for the basic stuff that you are doing. reaper is way less streamlined. in recording school the first daw we had to learn was audacity, and it is definitely capable of more than people give it credit for. and totally free!
does it export ALL tracks from a session as consolidated waves with ONE CLICK?

does it record in perfect sync (interface latency compensation)?

if yes and yes i will definitely give it a try!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
alackey
with great respect ..erm how can i put this tactfully..
have a great year.
next time your useing audacity...after recording a trak ,
cos i had to help someone on this issue...look in the dir/folder.
youll notice lots of likkle files time sliced it seems.
this is how it achieves its editing speed.
there is no free lunch in daw land with respect.
thus in audicity i cant just lift one trak file out of the dir like i can with lots of daw software.
cos the trak is split up into slices. so if theres a problem in the project recovery is difficult.
in most other daws i can just lift the trak out of the dir.

with respect there is no way you can compare audacity to reaper and other apps imho.
it is a nice freebie...but with certain things that need to be done yet imho.
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao ➑️
i have to do a simple recording session using my macbook pro and onyx 1608 with firewire option.

the only DAW i know and use is protools, but i can't use it this time - no PT hardware will be available, ony a mackie 1608 console with firewire option

i know there are several free, simple DAWs for mac

all i need it to do is to record 3 tracks at once and play back the background track.

monitoring latency is not an issue, because i will be able to make an analog cue mix using 1608 mixer.

i have tried to record with TRAKTION, which i got for free with my 1608 firewire card, but there's one serious issue with it - it records with latency. i mean, after record pass, the recorded track is DELAYED in session (for example 20 ms, if that's the audio interface latency).

any help will be appreciated
The Windows version of Tracktion has a "time adjust" and auto-detect to help you set it. I imagine the Mac version does, too.

Open up an edit of the project you want to work on. Select the desired input object on the left side of the screen; below, in the details/properties area for the object, you'll see the time adjust field (possibly with a decimal number measured in ms in it) and a button next to it marked "auto-detect."

Haven't seen Reaper on the Mac, myself, but if it's anything like the Windows version, it's probably an excellent choice.

(FWIW, I'm not a regular Tracktion or Reaper user.)
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
The Windows version of Tracktion has a "time adjust" and auto-detect to help you set it. I imagine the Mac version does, too.

Open up an edit of the project you want to work on. Select the desired input object on the left side of the screen; below, in the details/properties area for the object, you'll see the time adjust field (possibly with a decimal number measured in ms in it) and a button next to it marked "auto-detect."

Haven't seen Reaper on the Mac, myself, but if it's anything like the Windows version, it's probably an excellent choice.

(FWIW, I'm not a regular Tracktion or Reaper user.)

thanx a lot for the traktion tip!

i ended up using this application, REAPER was unstable, couldn't set the correct buffer size and the playback was far from perfect

however, when i did the AUTO DETECT he showed me 44 ms, and all i needed was 20 ms (as seen in the settings tab).

i begin to enjoy this program, however having used protools as the only daw for 10 years it's strange to use something else
πŸ“ Reply