Quantcast
iTunes 8.02 sound quality - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iTunes 8.02 sound quality
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
iTunes 8.02 sound quality

anyone notice a massive loss in sound quaity in the 8.02 upgrade for iTunes?

it's been driving me crazy the past couple of days... i can't tell if it's my iTunes or the audio out on my Mac Pro... but the sound coming out on casual music listening via iTunes is totally lacking in high end.

i swear it wasn't like this a few days ago.

edit:
i just routed my mac output thru my audio interface and compared the itunes playback to the same MP3 opening in Peak. both are going thru the same audio interface, convertor, and monitors (motu HD192, HEDD, adam A7) but the itunes playback sounds really muffled and the MP3 in peak sounds fine.

what's up with iTunes?

i don't have any "sound enhancers" turned on in itunes, nor do i use its built in EQ features.

anyone else experienced this since the 8.02 upgrade? or. otherwise?

help.. driving me crazy...
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
also... i'm getting distortion on playback of songs that did not used to distort... no matter how high or low i have the Mac or iTunes volume set.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Sounds like you've already addressed the obvious stuff.

That said, sure sounds like a 'normalize,' 'volume-leveler,' or other compression might have become engaged...

... but you knew that.

Good luck!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'm not aware of anything that would have changed in the update that could cause what you're hearing, nor am I noticing a difference here.

Not sure what to tell you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"sound check" and "sound enhancer" are off..

what i'll do now is play a cd thru my mac cd drives via itunes and see if there is a quality difference between the cd and itunes.

. . . .

ok.. the cd played in my mac via itunes sounds as bad as itunes.. the cd in my regular cd player sounds fine.

so, more evidence that this is an itunes (or quick time?) problem.

DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

i wish i could download a previous version of itunes to compare...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok... a very informative test here..

first of all.. i tried the optical out of the mac.. as opposed to the speaker output in back... same bad sound quality.

then, i opened the same MP3 that's in itunes into quick time player app..

and low-and-behold.. the quality is back.. light night and day.

so.. the culprit here is clearly iTunes.. same MP3 playing out of the same mac.. sounds like hell in itunes and sounds fine in quick time player.

at least i know i'm not going crazy and am starting to narrow this down.

AND...

thank you to Peeder for pointing out the global EQ setting under "window".. which i see is *on* and has a bunch of high cuts!!! i've never touched this in my life... (didn't even know this existed here.. or i would have checked)..

all fixed.. i feel like an ass. although, less like an ass because i actually learned something about iTunes.

thanks peeder!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My iTunes is pink? So sort of messed up stuff with this version? It stay pink 99% of the time and every now and then turns white like it is suppose to.

Any ideas?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo ➡️
My iTunes is pink? So sort of messed up stuff with this version? It stay pink 99% of the time and every now and then turns white like it is suppose to.

Any ideas?
Do you have a lot of songs by Seals and Crofts or the Indigo Girls in your library?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Do you have a lot of songs by Seals and Crofts or the Indigo Girls in your library?
ahahahaha great post dude!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey t_d.

Keep us posted yeah?

Hope you sort it out. Sorry I can't help. These sorts of things are very frustrating and can drive you nuts

I had an iTunes hiccup a few days ago but dissimilar to yours. All my iTunes text was Arabic or Mandarin or something — certainly not English. It had nothing to do with what country my 'Store' was set at. There is no global 'language' option IN iTunes for language (Mac) and I'd changed nothing in system preferences.

What's worse I started having the same language / characters appear in Illustrator, InDesign and Freehand etc.

Found out I had a duplicate Lucida Grande font enabled. Not sure how that happened becasue (as a graphic desinger by trade) I always and only enable fonts manually...

Anyway. I deleted the second set and all back to normal.

Had me pulling my hair out though (I'm bald regardless), but you know what I mean heh
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat ➡️
What's worse I started having the same language / characters appear in Illustrator, InDesign and Freehand etc.

Found out I had a duplicate Lucida Grande font enabled. Not sure how that happened becasue (as a graphic desinger by trade) I always and only enable fonts manually...

Yeah I had that issue too last week! - freaked me out. All my mac mail messages and web browser text were in some funky font.

Isolated some duplicate fonts and resolved the issue.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hi there,

i have the same itunes issue here. It sounds muddy in comparison!

Maybe a HiCut , maybe a Bass boost too, but that can be a psychoacoustical thing caused by a hicut!

But, seriously, there´s some unintended filter-thingy going on...

P.S. I´ll Hi- Jack the Systemoutput of both apps, switch between them an see if can be recognized in a third app..it´s a rather obvious thing not only by A/Bing it.
Old 16th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ANy solution for this yet ? (besides don't use [email protected]) I'm getting the same thing - i noticed that when i use quicklook on a file in my itunes library, it plays flwalessly, but in itunes peaks are getting distorted
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thought i posted the embarassing solution to my problem.. but i guess i hadn't...

apparently there is a global EQ in iTunes... under the Window menu.. i've never used it before.. didn't even know it was there (maybe i did.. but, like i said, i've never even opened it)

somehow my global EQ was set with tons of highs cut.

so, really... a dumb answer... but, at least nothing's "broken".. and all back to normal now.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i turned eq off and still have the problem, though i believe it goes away when soundcheck is turned off and i restart itunes...
📝 Reply