Low Physical Memory - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low Physical Memory
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Low Physical Memory

He there:

Just built a new DAW, first I had 2 gig Kingston Hyper X Ram installed then decided to buy another 2 gigs.

After I installed it and checked that Windows recognized it I booted up a project in Cubase and got a message saying "Physical memory is getting low"

Wtf I say, doesn't seem to affect performance it's just odd to get that message.
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm having the same problem. Any time I load a VSTi I get that warning. I have a core 2 2.4ghz and 4gb of ram with the /3 switch enabled. I can't get rid of it! When I play back my virtual piano it starts to hiccup, even if it's the only thing running. I have no idea what's going on. I even copied all the samples to the hard drive to make access time quicker. Strange.
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the /3 switch is the issue.
you have left only 1 Gb available to the operating system and it's being used by memory addresses for hardware as well. the problem is cubase doesn't run in user space on xp it runs under kernal space and you have limited it to that less than 1 GB area, taking up even more space.

remove the /3 switch and you'll see the issue go away unless you load alot of vsti that are memory hungry.

the whole problem is most people think the /3 switch is to simply allow programs to use greater than 2 GB. programs are still limited to 2 GB maximum memory usage it's just that you have an additional 1 GB to use for user space running processes and apps. so you could run 2 seperate 1.5 GB apps for instance without swapping to the hard drive. it doesn't mean you have up to 3 GB of space per process.
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ok, I disabled the /3 switch and I'm still getting the error message. I can't even load one instance of Virtual Piano without getting the message. It also takes longer than it should to load. I did a RAM test and it came back fine. I have NO idea why this is happening now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you don't need to necesarily disable the /3GB switch setting. you could try adding the /USERVA=2800 switch as well to give back a bit of the 3 Gb user space to the operating system to use for paging.

How to use the /userva switch with the /3GB switch to tune the User-mode space to a value between 2 GB and 3 GB

this article describes the /USERVA switch and what it does.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studio RI ➡️
Ok, I disabled the /3 switch and I'm still getting the error message. I can't even load one instance of Virtual Piano without getting the message. It also takes longer than it should to load. I did a RAM test and it came back fine. I have NO idea why this is happening now.
back again to the issue of a vsti that is running in user space that is demanding a lot of memory causing issues too.

try the /userva switch and report back.

you seem to be having an issue that cubase is not getting enough ram with /3gb enabled and the vsti's not getting enough without it.
📝 Reply