The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic bug: "re-initializing core audio" at random
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Logic bug: "re-initializing core audio" at random

Howdy folks,

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue: in the middle of working in Logic, certain actions will cause it to re-initialize Core Audio, which of course means reloading all samples, plugins, etc. Needless to say this is extremely annoying on large scoring projects.

There's a thread on this over on the Apple Forum, but when you're perceived as being critical over there, you never know how long a thread will survive:

Apple - Support - Discussions - PLAY/Kontakt3/EXS reloading every few ...

I just posted the following:

I just started experiencing this issue myself on my current project. In 16 years with Logic I've never seen this "random reloading" bug. Here's my scenario:

- Logic 8.0.2 on 8-core Mac Pro (8 GB RAM) running 10.5.3
- project contains lots of EXS with VM turned on
- the only 3rd-party VI's running inside Logic are Absynth 4 & EW Play (StormDrum 2)
- Kontakt 3 is running standalone; MIDI via IAC, audio routed back into Logic via RME Totalmix
- Logic's memory footprint: 1.50 GB (real), 2.98 GB (virtual)

The only thing that triggers the reloading ("initializing Core Audio") for me is un-muting a group of 5 audio tracks - nothing to do with instruments! In fact, this morning when I rebooted everything, I got the re-load issue as soon as the song loaded! In other words, Logic booted & loaded all plugs, the song came up and then everything instantly re-loaded again.

What's odd is that at one point in the project I had even more stuff loaded (Stylus RMX, more EXS insts, more Play channels, etc.) - I was near the 3.5 GB virtual memory mark - and everything was fine. I removed the stuff I wasn't using, and not long after that I started having this issue.

I've always felt that I had to treat Logic with kid gloves when it comes to memory management; as projects grow in complexity, these kind of random issues seem to increase proportionally. To be fair, I'm doing a LOT of crazy routing in this project, but nothing against the rules... Probably why I'm in the habit of hitting "save" after every important edit! Incidentally I did try "reorganizing memory" but it obviously hasn't helped.

Anyway, I'm well within the usual memory limits, so I'm not sure what the problem is. It's a pain though as it takes a while to load all this stuff!

It's very frustrating to have all this power & memory available these days and not be able to take advantage of it without jumping through all kinds of hoops...

Jim
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yes, have the same experience
Old 28th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
8 core 2008 (harpertown) 2.8G running logic 9.0 on 10.57... same issue
Quite irritating to wait for scarbee bass to reload each time, and if I have a 7 piece horn section or string section going...

Love to know what is causing this. Seems to happen sometimes when I hit save, other certain actions... just can't remember at the moment what they were.

I had the same issue in logic 8
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah.. It's been there since Logic 8...

On larger sessions you always get it when opening.. All plugs load and then it inits again and you have to wait for it again. No response or confirmation from Apple for 4 years reg this.

You hit the virtual memory roof pretty quick when you have to double load all plugs and when Logic never releases memory after plugs are loaded.
Old 28th October 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I too have this issue. It usually happens after I make some sort of edit to a region. There is a thread in the NI forum I in which I posted (as Steelkat).

I also contacted support and received a reply that this was a Logic issue. The gentleman also advised me to upgrade to Logic 9, as that should solve the problem. I pointed out that at least one poster in the thread was running Logic 9, and he was still seeing the issue. After that comment, I received no further response from NI.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D ➑️
I too have this issue. It usually happens after I make some sort of edit to a region. There is a thread in the NI forum I in which I posted (as Steelkat).

I also contacted support and received a reply that this was a Logic issue. The gentleman also advised me to upgrade to Logic 9, as that should solve the problem. I pointed out that at least one poster in the thread was running Logic 9, and he was still seeing the issue. After that comment, I received no further response from NI.
I also quite sure it's a Logic issue.. It happens to all different movements / plug-ins in Logic....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peodepitte ➑️
Yeah.. It's been there since Logic 8...

You hit the virtual memory roof pretty quick when you have to double load all plugs and when Logic never releases memory after plugs are loaded.
Is this true? I tend to audition a lot of plugs... then maybe use 1/3 of what I tried... is it still holding memory for all of them? I've had sessions where it reloaded some memory hogs 7-8 times due to this issue.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeAl ➑️
Is this true? I tend to audition a lot of plugs... then maybe use 1/3 of what I tried... is it still holding memory for all of them? I've had sessions where it reloaded some memory hogs 7-8 times due to this issue.
If you have activity control open in the background you can see how Logics memory is growing. When it's closing 3.8 mb memory plugs get crossed off and you have to quite Logic and start again for memory to free up again.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, maybe this explains the low memory messages I occasionally get after working for a while when I know I don't have enough vsti's open to actually be taking me past the 8g I'm working with.... maybe there have been enough open at one time or another during the session even though they are now closed.

So quitting and restarting is my only fix for this?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, maybe this explains the low memory messages I occasionally get after working for a while when I know I don't have enough vsti's open to actually be taking me past the 8g I'm working with.... maybe there have been enough open at one time or another during the session even though they are now closed.

You don't have to restart the computer but you have to quit Logic for memory to free up as it should do...

But if it's restarting the engine 2 times when opening a session you are fried anyhow..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I have 14GB of RAM, but Logic is able to use only 4GB because of 32bit
Old 1st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D ➑️

that's funny, i never really saw this problem very often or at all until i upgrade to logic 9
Old 21st February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'm having the EXACT same problem, never encountered it before but once it started, I can't get out of it. And now its even worse in that my project is in a state that currently works fine, but when it re-initializes core audio randomly, I get audio dropping out randomly and cannot recover.

Although I have a version of my project saved that works ok without audio dropping out, creating a new audio track and dragging an audio region over to it will cause the re-initialization to happen, which also happens to trigger the audio dropping issue. I've been at this for over a week now, reformatting my entire drive, re-installing everything, and yet I'm still encountering this problem.

If anyone has any idea of a workaround, please do share, I'm about to go nuts here. I can't move forward with this track in any way from here on with this problem. I cant even begin to express the frustration I'm feeling at the moment...
Old 8th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
fishy im in exactely the same place you are.
please someone find a fix for this. currently, my only option if i want to add more audio to this project is literally bouncing down every single track and starting a new project.
my current problem is: whenever i create a new audio track or record any audio, the core audio re-initializes and then little problems start. the main one being delays and reverbs (internal plugins) start cutting out and coming back in OUT OF TIME. ALWAYS in the same way though. once this has happens i can literally delete everything in the project except for one faulty track and it will STILL be faulty. its a nightmare.
im running logic 8.0.2 off a macbook pro with 4gb of ram and 2.4ghz core 2 duo.
this is a small system for a big project i know, but i can see from this thread that it doesn't matter how powerful the system, this problem can happen to any logic user.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexilogic ➑️
fishy im in exactely the same place you are.
please someone find a fix for this. currently, my only option if i want to add more audio to this project is literally bouncing down every single track and starting a new project.
my current problem is: whenever i create a new audio track or record any audio, the core audio re-initializes and then little problems start. the main one being delays and reverbs (internal plugins) start cutting out and coming back in OUT OF TIME. ALWAYS in the same way though. once this has happens i can literally delete everything in the project except for one faulty track and it will STILL be faulty. its a nightmare.
im running logic 8.0.2 off a macbook pro with 4gb of ram and 2.4ghz core 2 duo.
this is a small system for a big project i know, but i can see from this thread that it doesn't matter how powerful the system, this problem can happen to any logic user.
lexilogic, when I read your post, I couldn't help but think "hey, thats me!"

Quick update regarding this, I tried creating a brand new project from scratch, moving tracks over one by one and only included audio regions (any instruments were bounced to audio). Once it was completely moved over, it seemed to work ok for a little while, but have now encountered the exact same issue again with nothing but audio regions and some waves plugins for some basic processing. It happened after adding a new audio track and recording a new region on it.

Btw, these are my Project Information stats (its small...):
MIDI Regions - Objects=78, Events=3244, Memory=166692
Audio Regions - Objects=62, Events=n/a, Memory=115564
Tempo Alternatives - Objects=1, Events=1, Memory=862
Internal Objects - Objects=2, Events=3, Memory=n/a
Signature Alternatives - Objects=1, Events=2, Memory=n/a
Environment Objects - Objects=149, Events=0, Memory=148098
Transform Settings - Objects=0 Events=n/a, Memory=0
Undo Steps - Objects=1, Events=n/a, Memory=24
Staff Styles - Objects=32, Events=n/a, Memory=20488

If you don't mind, would you be able to post your issue on the Apple Support site link as well? I started up a thread there but nobody seems to have encountered this except you! Hopefully we can find more people encountering this problem so Apple can look more closely at it. The link is:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Logic 9 - Audio dropping in and out ...

I also sent feedback to the logic team from Logic itself (Logic Pro -> Provide Logic Pro Feedback), might be worth a try too just to get their attention
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexilogic ➑️
but i can see from this thread that it doesn't matter how powerful the system, this problem can happen to any logic user.
upgrade to Logic 9.1 /10.6.2 and use logic 64 bits.

I can use more than 4 gigs ram and have not seen this "bug" since then. After all Logic 9.1 is very stable
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Ortega ➑️
upgrade to Logic 9.1 /10.6.2 and use logic 64 bits.

I can use more than 4 gigs ram and have not seen this "bug" since then. After all Logic 9.1 is very stable
I actually first encountered this bug in 9.1 (and OSX 10.6.2)... Unfortunately not running in 64bit though since none of my plugins are 64bit. I'm nowhere near 4 gigs on this problematic project (have 8 gigs on the entire machine), and it feels like this issue manifests itself when the amount of audio regions present on the arrange reaches some threshold...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ok im going to try upgrading to logic 9 (i've had it for a while).
and making it run in 64 bit mode.
how do i do this? (i'll check utube)
nice one guys
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 ➑️
I actually first encountered this bug in 9.1 (and OSX 10.6.2)... Unfortunately not running in 64bit though since none of my plugins are 64bit. I'm nowhere near 4 gigs on this problematic project (have 8 gigs on the entire machine), and it feels like this issue manifests itself when the amount of audio regions present on the arrange reaches some threshold...
Wich plug ins are you working? Even with no 64 bit plugs (using 32 bridge mode on Logic) Logic will let you open more plug ins. At leats in my system I can open lots of Play VI without problems..
Old 9th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ok fishy im basically stuck. the only thing i can try is buying snow leopard, installing logic 9, and running in 64 bit. i would do this but i doubt it will even work.
im just going to settle for "work-arounds" at the moment i.e saving after every vocal take and re-loading logic as soon as it re-initializes. LONG AND BORING.ruins the creative flow. dont mean to rant or anything but someone give me a reliable daw PLEASE. (i have barely any external plug-ins i use so this unreliable behavior cannot be blamed on anyone except apple and logic).
if anyone reads this and can offer any advice it would be much apprechiated.
thanks, lex
Old 9th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 ➑️
it feels like this issue manifests itself when the amount of audio regions present on the arrange reaches some threshold...
yup, i can temporarily fix it by finding and deleting unused audio. this is of course only a temporary fix.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…