MIDI Weirdness with Logic 8 and 003 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIDI Weirdness with Logic 8 and 003
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MIDI Weirdness with Logic 8 and 003

Hello,

I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon, and was hoping to get insights from the GS community.

I have a new Mac Pro system running Pro Tools LE 7.4 and Logic Pro 8. Logic is using the 003 Rack for audio only (Digi Core Audio driver). We also have a MIDISPORT 4X4 USB MIDI interface on this system, which is being used for all MIDI devices (essentially, a Roland A-80 controller and a Triton Rack module).

Currently, the MIDI ports of the 003 are not being used, however any time I press the mute button on the 003 while running Logic it somehow sends a note on message to the Triton. A note off message doesn't follow, so the result is a stuck note.

Again, this is particularly odd since no physical MIDI connections are made through the 003 (all MIDI connections are through the MIDISPORT).

I've only recently started using Logic, so I'm wondering if somehow the program is seeing the 003 as a "controller" of sorts. Logic does seem to transmit other spurious MIDI messages (especially MIDI volume messages) to the Triton, seemingly at random. I'm wondering if these rogue messages are somehow being derived into the software by the 003.

Does Logic have an area where you can disable MIDI input devices like Pro Tools? My theory is that I need to disable MIDI reception from the 003 in Logic.

Does anyone else have a theory about what might be causing this? (BTW - it's not happenning in Pro Tools - only Logic.)

Thanks in advance!

-Ben B
📝 Reply