Quantcast
Eric, why Omnisphere´s arpeggiator is so limited? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eric, why Omnisphere´s arpeggiator is so limited?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Eric, why Omnisphere´s arpeggiator is so limited?

Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Doesn't Omnisphere offer a thing called Groovelock, which lets you sync the arp.'s groove to the groove of something else?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
while having those resolutions in the menu would be cool my current workaround is a triplet midifile on my desktop that i load into the groovelock when i need triplets.
Old 7th February 2009
Spectrasonics

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWS ➡️
Or check out Arturia Minimoog. That´s how arpeggiators are done the RIGHT way. I would call this even for a standard. I can´t even remember coming across with a VST synth with so limited arpeggiator, until now.
Omnisphere's Arp is actually more advanced than many.

Quote:
Now I don´t know if the triplets are possible to do with the Stylus RMX groovelock or what is it called... but I don´t have it (and seems very kludge way anyway to just get simple freaking triplets). So maybe this is conspiracy for us that want a better arpeggiator to buy the Stylus RMX?
No.

Omnisphere is actually far more advanced in it's timing resolution than any other Arpeggiator, because of Groove Lock.

You can lock Omnisphere's arpeggiator to ANY feel or timing you want.

Simply drag a MIDI file of the timing you desire onto the Groove Lock region.

(This is covered extensively in the manual BTW)

And no....you don't need Stylus RMX to do this.

Quote:
All I´m asking is a few triplet options more for the Omnisphere arpeggiator.
Sure....we can add some more preset timings in an update, but there's no need to worry, because you can already do it with any MIDI Files you want to use.

Cheers,

spectrum :-)
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't own omnisphere (yet), but in the videos it looks to me like you can draw in your own arpeggiation patterns... which is much deeper than any preset, and makes possible any sort of pattern you could imagine... one could craw triplets in from any resolution.

Am I correct?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm way more pissed off that Omni is crashing my Pro tools sessions and causing me fricken hours of trying to figure out why. Also I had pre-sets when I first installed Omni that i just cant find anymore!!! Nothing has changed since the install. Fricken frustrating!! I had "Male Ahhs" one day and now they are no where to be found.

Sucks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20 ➡️
I don't own omnisphere (yet), but in the videos it looks to me like you can draw in your own arpeggiation patterns... which is much deeper than any preset, and makes possible any sort of pattern you could imagine... one could craw triplets in from any resolution.

Am I correct?
yes-you can create your own patterns and set the length of every step individually.
You can also set it to chord mode so you can use the pattern to trigger the full chord instead of arpeggiating it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponymusic ➡️
I'm way more pissed off that Omni is crashing my Pro tools sessions and causing me fricken hours of trying to figure out why. Also I had pre-sets when I first installed Omni that i just cant find anymore!!! Nothing has changed since the install. Fricken frustrating!! I had "Male Ahhs" one day and now they are no where to be found.

Sucks!
Are you using PT8?
There are issues with thirdparty plugs in that version. You can find a solution in the FAQs at Spectrasonics website.
Have you talked to the support hotline about this?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hmm, okey I need to figure out how this this groovelock thing works... So I just drag a Cubase midifile into the Omnisphere arpeggiator?

Although this seems like a "deeper approach", it still seems like a kludge workaround, at least to my work flow. I wouldn´t want to always start drawing midigrooves, when I just want simple triplets to play with immediately. So those triplet presets would be VERY NICE indeed in further updates.

Thanks for the answer!
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Spectrasonics

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hmm, okey I need to figure out how this this groovelock thing works... So I just drag a Cubase midifile into the Omnisphere arpeggiator?
Yep

Quote:
Although this seems like a "deeper approach", it still seems like a kludge workaround, at least to my work flow. I wouldn´t want to always start drawing midigrooves, when I just want simple triplets to play with immediately.
Don't have to draw anything.

It's a piece of cake....just tap out a MIDI file of triplets and drag it over.

You can even save that setup as your own preset in a couple of seconds...pretty easy stuff. :-)

Quote:
So those triplet presets would be VERY NICE indeed in further updates.

Thanks for the answer!
Sure...no problem....we'll add those in an upcoming update.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thank you!!!

Finally a company that listens to customers!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you!!!

Finally a company that listens to customers!

Oh yeah?? Think again...

Where is my InteliMac copy of Atmosphere?? and why do I have to pay the Omnisphere upgrade to just use Atmosphere stuff?? Peeeleez!

They are "history" on my book!fuuck
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Spectrasonics

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon ➡️

Oh yeah?? Think again...

Where is my InteliMac copy of Atmosphere??
That wasn't something that was ever promised by us. In fact, we were very careful NOT to say that.

I can't promise something I can't deliver. :-)

Because unfortunately due the code we licensed for that instrument, it's impossible to make a true Intel mac version of Atmosphere.

Now that we have our own in-house engine (STEAM), we can avoid those kinds of support issues in the future.

What we did promise was that we were committed to a very good future for moving Atmosphere forward on the Intel Mac platform, and I think we've certainly delivered that with Omnisphere.

The upgrade deal for Atmosphere users to Omnisphere is actually a pretty remarkable value, because for a low price you are getting an amazing new synth with a massive new library that is continuing to grow in many cool ways and well over $2000 worth of our sample libraries too.

Quote:
and why do I have to pay the Omnisphere upgrade to just use Atmosphere stuff?? Peeeleez!
Sometimes in a product's evolution, there comes a time when its necessary to transition to new platforms. That was definitely the case for Atmosphere, which started life on OS9 seven years ago and really needed a completely new architecture to continue into the future.

If you have some specific concerns about the pricing of the upgrade or a unique situation, you should contact customer support directly and then can certainly work with you.

[email protected]

We do indeed listen and care about our customers! :-)

In fact, it's important to us that all our Atmosphere users make the transition to Omnisphere, because it's a far superior way of working that we can support well into the future.

(For example: We just released a killer Omnisphere patch library update of 2000 new patches for example....totally FREE. That's not something we could have ever done with the Atmosphere architecture)

You will definitely not regret it and you DO NOT wan't to miss out on what Omnisphere has to offer.

Cheers,

spectrum
(aka: EP from spectrasonics)
I think Spectrasonics' upgrade pricing is by far the most fair and generous in the industry.

And people need to understand that technology is not a static industry and the when new chips, new OS, new DAW hosts, cause changes, there is only so much time users can realistically expect software companies to maintain legacy product support.

If you do not like that fact you have two options:

1. Get off the update bandwagon and stay with the machines, OS, hosts you have. The police will not come in the middle of the night and take it away from you, nor does it become suddenly non-functioning.

2. Abandon some software and embrace other software.

Eric and his team should not have to read this kind of b.s.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Spectrasonics have always been a great company to deal with from my point of view. I misssed the RMX sage pack deal a while ago as I was out of the country and they kindly extended the offer to me on my return after quickly replying to my email :D

marcus
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have all 3 products (Atmosphere, Trilogy and Stylus RMX). When I upgraded to Omnisphere I think it was a little more than 150 bucks. Now I would call that outstanding!!!

Thanks E :-)
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Im more upset that i have to go through every fricking session that i have that used atmosphere and write down the name of the patch and then look for it in omnisphere. There must be a way to make this thing backwards compatible with atmosphere. there is no way to load my atmosphere presets!!! I have spent around 30 hrs. making the switch after waiting for about a year to be able to use my intel mac with atmosphere sessions. very weak.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg ➡️
Im more upset that i have to go through every fricking session that i have that used atmosphere and write down the name of the patch and then look for it in omnisphere. There must be a way to make this thing backwards compatible with atmosphere. there is no way to load my atmosphere presets!!! I have spent around 30 hrs. making the switch after waiting for about a year to be able to use my intel mac with atmosphere sessions. very weak.
I think expecting developers to make every new product completely backwards compatible is not only unrealistic, but unfair. People complain about the prices of software as it is, without them having to spend tons of time re-programming and backtracking. As far as I am concerned, I would much rather have a cutting edge, stellar new product than a not-so-cutting-edge backwards compatible one. How long does it take you to write down patch names? 20 seconds per project? Imagine how long it would take to design a new OS that fully compensates for the old.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm annoyed by the combination of waiting a year to be able to use songs with atmosphere instances on my intel mac and then finding out that I have to jump through hoops to try and load atmosphere songs with it.

I'm not sure how long it would take for them to program it to load atmosphere patches automatically. I am guessing that they could create a utility that was named "atmosphere" that would load when i boot a logic session with an atmosphere patch. at that point it could tell me the patch name or maybe give me a dialog to save the patch as an omnisphere patch.

In terms of the amount of time that it takes...

I have my G5 which I am holding on to until I can sort out this atmosphere patch name stuff and I have an intel mac, which I had been sitting on for a year or so that I could open atmosphere sessions on it when omnisphere came out. I now am having to look through every single song for instances of atmosphere and then copy setting info, reopen on intel mac and save as omnisphere. It is more like 2-3 minutes per song times hundreds of songs.

If there was some sort of utility available I would not have to waste hours scouring my g5 before selling it.

I use many different plugs and this is the 2nd time I have encountered this. The first time was when digidesign stopped making, or changed the name of some of their plugs between versions.

So yes, I would expect spectra to spend some hours trying to make omni actually open atmos instances, rather than me and the consumer waste time or be sol when it comes time to open an atmosphere instance on an intel mac.

Spectrasonics plugs are some of my favorites, just very annoyed with this whole atmosphere transition/18 month limbo.

Eric I would love to hear your take on this.
Spectrasonics

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg ➡️
I'm annoyed that I have to jump through hoops to try and load atmosphere songs with it.
As a producer and musician myself, I totally understand and can relate to the frustration of the backwards session compatibility problem with plug-ins.

If we could've technically made it so all our modern in-house engine based instruments (Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Trilian) would load the correct sounds and settings from our older licensed engine instruments (Stylus Classic, Atmosphere, Trilogy) in all the various DAWS and hosts - that would be the best scenario for sure.

Unfortunately, we looked into that scenario extensively and it was clear that it's simply not feasible to do on a technical level.

Backwards song compatibility is obviously a really important issue for users and the positive news for the future it that it IS something we've been able to maintain on future versions of our in-house engine instruments

(RMX is a good example of how we've been able to keep this compatibility going. Omnisphere and Trilian will be the same).

Quote:
I use many different plugs and this is the 2nd time I have encountered this. The first time was when digidesign stopped making, or changed the name of some of their plugs between versions.
Exactly.

As a general principle I always recommend rendering all plug-ins to audio tracks and including patch names in the tracks of your sessions. That way, you are always able to recall your tracks in the future...no matter what happens. Obviiously, your sessions are important, so it's worth the extra time to do this "future-proofing" step.

We'll certainly do our best to avoid this kind of transitional compatibility issue again, but the hard reality is that it's impossible to predict the future and all the potential technical changes that can happen in the world of software/operating systems/daws/plug-ins and computer hardware.

Over the years of doing this, I've had to do this kind of stuff too when transitioning to new systems...so I know what a pain it can be if you don't have the data stored in a "future-proof" way and you have to go back and redo it all at once.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for taking the time to respond eric. Wish there was some type of utility, but such is life. Good point about rendering tracks.

I would definitely strongly recommend Omnisphere and Stylus to others as some of the best vi's available.

Thanks
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum ➡️
That wasn't something that was ever promised by us. In fact, we were very careful NOT to say that.

I can't promise something I can't deliver. :-)
Of course not but all other companies delivered an Intel version!
My grief had to do not with the pricing of the upgrade,but with the downtime-not being able to use for a long time a product that I really liked.

Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic ➡️
2. Abandon some software and embrace other software.
That's what I exactly did!
Spectrasonics

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon ➡️
Of course not but all other companies delivered an Intel version!
Not so. There's actually quite a bit of software that doesn't make these kinds of technology transitions. I've got loads of software over the years I've bought that didn't make it from one platform to another.

Quote:
My grief had to do not with the pricing of the upgrade,but with the downtime-not being able to use for a long time a product that I really liked.
Apologies for the wait. I can understand how that can be frustrating. It was for us too! :-)

But now that we've been able to make that difficult transition from Atmosphere to Omnisphere, it's a really great thing for our Atmosphere users and the future. We're really proud of how Omnisphere came out and the response to it has been amazing.

Omnisphere is a one of a kind instrument, so I'd encourage you to take advantage of the special upgrade offer. It's far more and far better than simply a new version of Atmosphere.

Cheers,

spectrum
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
that Omnispheres drag drop arpeggiator sounds very cool is it working on mac? G5 ppc logic pro 8.

Is it possible to install Omnisphere library to extrenal hardDrive. I would buy one, but not enought free space on my systemdrive.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
G5 dualcore 2 Ghz is the minimum spec AFAIK.
External drive installation is no problem
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu ➡️
G5 dualcore 2 Ghz is the minimum spec AFAIK.
External drive installation is no problem
Yes, thanks. I have g5 4x2.5 PPC 8GB ram. I looked Omnisphere box yesterday at local music shop. I was going to buy Atmosphere, but I skip it, I have absyth, camel 5000 etc, also Trilogy and Stylus RMX. I've have heard great things of Omnisphere, so to the music shop ...
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have the latest VU of Omnisphere...I just attempted to use the groove lock to obtain a triplet 1/12. I created a 1/12 midi file a bar long and then dropped said midi file on to the groove lock window and...2 things occurred:

1) with the strength fader all the way to the left, there was no change from the straight 16ths of the arpeggiator.

2) moving the strength fader towards the right resulted in a splurge of random notes, completely out of time, like the arpeggiator was barfing and choking on the midi file...totally unusable, naturally.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience...?
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Spectrasonics

🎧 10 years
For a triplet MIDI File to work properly, Groove Lock Strength should be at maximum.
📝 Reply