Quantcast
Eric, why Omnisphere´s arpeggiator is so limited? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eric, why Omnisphere´s arpeggiator is so limited?
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum ➡️
For a triplet MIDI File to work properly, Groove Lock Strength should be at maximum.
Sorry if I was misunderstood here...my previous post that initiated your above response, Spectrum, is that the strength fader, regardless of it's position, including the 100% strength position (it's fairly obvious to me that the full strength position would be all the way to the right, which is what I tried repeatedly) exhibits a non musical, random splurge of midi notes, with silences differing in their duration in between, and in no way resembling anything like a triplet arpeggio.

With the strength fader all the way to the right (100% strength - 1.000, in keeping with your above suggestion, and at all other values between that and 0.500) the arpeggiator gets jammed on a particular step in the arpeggiator's sequencer - in my case richocheting between steps 8,9,1,2 and 5 in the aforementioned random fashion - and additionally, never stepping through any of the other active steps in the sequence, ie: 3,4,6,7 (my example here being a 9 step sequence, though I also tried enabling all 32 steps, which resulted in no change in this erratic behavior, other than additional random steps between 10 and 32 were then also included in the erratic arpeggio's sequence playback).

So not entirely random in light of the fact that certain steps are always ignored, but all the same quite dysfunctional and unusable - almost resembling a quarter note timing, but staggered and not 'in the groove' at all (and I'm attempting triplets after all, not 1/4 notes...) sometimes 2 or more notes sounding simultaneously, the erratic behavior 'improvising' it's own 'double stops' at random points...when the midi file I dropped is just single monophonic midi notes in a triplet 1/12 timing...1 exact bar in length. Even the midi notes in the triplet midi file I created are all standardized in length with a max velocity of 127. No room for error was my instinct when the arpeggiator failed to run the first triplet midi file I tried.

With the strength fader all the way to the left, that is the only position that works, but that's just going back to square one, ie: straight 16ths (or whatever is selected in the limited preset clock list.) In all other positions except 0.500, it acts like an erratic schizophrenic randomizer. I'm quite sure that this is not the groove lock's intended functionality...!

To summarize, drag'n'drop of a triplet midi file simply doesn't work. Not on my system anyway. And I seriously doubt if it's my system, so I'm suggesting to Spectrasonics that there may be a bug in the arpeggiator groove lock feature.

Again, my apologies for having to so starkly point out this groove lock malady in response to your simplistic suggestion Spectrum, but I was simply curious as to if other Omnisphere users are experiencing the same problem that I'm having, as I am seeking a solution - not basic advice hinting that I'm not operating the groove lock feature properly by failing to move the fader strength all the way to the right...!

Please advise...?
Old 13th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
........crickets........
Old 14th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
...after presenting a detailed explanation of the issue I'm experiencing, I would hope to get at least some sort of correspondence in lieu of my efforts...

There appears to be a 'bug' in the Spectrasonics correspondence platform...!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm somewhat disappointed with the lack of correspondence from Spectrasonics on this arpeggiator matter.

I created an arpeggio object in Logic and connected it to the Omnisphere virtual instrument and set the resolution and the length to 1/12, and it works fine.

Even a suggestion such as this (workaround) would have been better than to be met with an indifferent wall of silence...

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They could be .

They could be in meetings

They could be at the pub dfegad

Sit tight, I'm sure Eric or someone will be back asap

At least they show up here and respond to the GS crew.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat ➡️
They could be .

They could be in meetings

They could be at the pub dfegad

Sit tight, I'm sure Eric or someone will be back asap

At least they show up here and respond to the GS crew.
Yes, I'm probably being a bit impatient. Though I have waited a couple days and I had to get that job done...!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
rosewood: How about contacting support if it's such an important and time-sensitive problem? Instead of bugging the owner of the company and demanding answers within a day??

Well, if sense was common, more people would have it, I guess ...
Old 15th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smy1 ➡️
rosewood: How about contacting support if it's such an important and time-sensitive problem? Instead of bugging the owner of the company and demanding answers within a day??

Well, if sense was common, more people would have it, I guess ...
I already admitted I was a bit impatient.

And I never once made a demand, just waiting for a response.
Old 17th March 2009 | Show parent
Spectrasonics

🎧 10 years
Please note that I am rarely here and this is by no means an official forum for Spectrasonics, so anything you need help with should go directly to support:

[email protected]

Just tried the 12th note MIDI file importing trick in the current version of Omnisphere ARP and it works fine.

So I would suggest working with support. They can make and would be happy to send you a MIDI File that works if you are having trouble with that.

Cheers,

spectrum
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you have some specific concerns about the pricing of the upgrade or a unique situation, you should contact customer support directly and then can certainly work with you.

[email protected]

We do indeed listen and care about our customers! :-)

In fact, it's important to us that all our Atmosphere users make the transition to Omnisphere, because it's a far superior way of working that we can support well into the future.
I've contacted Spectrasonics twice in the past. The first time, I got a call back and the issue resolved. The second time, no return contact, so I let the issue go rather than stress it, and use other sounds.

Do you have the name of someone at customer support we might contact directly if we have an issue?

thanks,

Matt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up FWIW

I sent an email to [email protected]

Got a reply in 5 minutes.

Got a reply reply in 5 minutes.

'Les' was him name. Very impressed.
Old 20th November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Maschine MIDI notes to use for Omnisphere groove lock

Is it possible to drag midi notes from NI Maschine into Omnisphere arpeggiator to do different time signatures?
I am working on a 6/8 song and I would like to add some groovy arppegiating sounds that matches the signature!

I was intially thinking about Logic's ultrabeat and draw a pattern in 6/8 and side chain it. But having read Eric's post regarding Groovelock, I would love to try it. Its a shame I didn't try this feature out earlier. I have had the product for about 6 months now! I know I have miles to go on this.

Answers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Appu

Quote:
Omnisphere's Arp is actually more advanced than many.

No.

Omnisphere is actually far more advanced in it's timing resolution than any other Arpeggiator, because of Groove Lock.

You can lock Omnisphere's arpeggiator to ANY feel or timing you want.

Simply drag a MIDI file of the timing you desire onto the Groove Lock region.

(This is covered extensively in the manual BTW)

And no....you don't need Stylus RMX to do this.

Sure....we can add some more preset timings in an update, but there's no need to worry, because you can already do it with any MIDI Files you want to use.

Cheers,

spectrum :-)
Old 20th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you can only drag midifiles from your desktop or from Stylus RMX into the Omni arp-but these are not meant to determine the timesig but the groove or feel.
To change the arp to a 6/8 simply shorten the number of steps that it uses by
draging the blue vertical line underneath the numbered steps to the left until you get the desired length (12 in your example or 24 if you want the pattern to be 2 bars)
Old 12th April 2013
Deleted User #106149
Hi

is it possible to save and load arp settings? I just want to test the same arp on the various patches.
Old 21st January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Old thread but where else should I bi**h about the awesome arp. I love the arp, but I would like to use it as a mod source instead of an arp sometimes. I imagine that would be difficult because of where it must fall in the chain, but what do I know...
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
First time I've ever heard the words "Omnisphere" and "Limited" in the same sentence together. Omnisphere is my desert island instrument. No joke - I could lose every other synth and sample library in my arsenal and I'd still be able make a good living producing music with Omnisphere alone. Love it.
Old 22nd January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic ➡️
I think Spectrasonics' upgrade pricing is by far the most fair and generous in the industry.

And people need to understand that technology is not a static industry and the when new chips, new OS, new DAW hosts, cause changes, there is only so much time users can realistically expect software companies to maintain legacy product support.

If you do not like that fact you have two options:

1. Get off the update bandwagon and stay with the machines, OS, hosts you have. The police will not come in the middle of the night and take it away from you, nor does it become suddenly non-functioning.

2. Abandon some software and embrace other software.

Eric and his team should not have to read this kind of b.s.
Absolutely, they have been great to all their loyal customers.

I've been buying anything of Eric's since I first heard his wonderful demo of original material for the Roland 770 and have not been disappointed...except that I wish there was even more out there from Spectrasonics!

TH
Old 22nd January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Omnisphere has sync to song position

Omnisphere has sync to song position, but if it's not enough you can use powerful MOD ENVELOPE that will also sync to song position.

Check out new patches for omnisphere here >>> Unisphere SG-1 | SoundGates.com
Quote:
Unisphere SG-1 | SoundGates.com

Unisphere SG-1 by SoundGates.com Amazing 100 completely new patches for Spectrasonics Omnisphere 1.5. designed by SoundGates.com
Old 1st August 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Be great to have an arp randomiser in omni 2.
📝 Reply