Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 89 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 1st October 2016 | Show parent
Deleted fa7843c
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis ➑️
Re: sidechaining - in The Glue, is the internal sidechain still active in Cubase (which requires VST3 for external sidechaining)?

(Sorry for that nooby question).

Is there an ETA for VST3?

Thanks -
Are you certain you are not mistaken? Both Ableton & Bitwig do not allow for VST3. I generally run AUs in Ableton when on the Mac, and Bitwig is VST-only across the board for some unbeknownst reason.

Is this somehow limited to Cubendo only? That seems strange as they created the standard, and it logically would apply to other DAWs such that virtually no one could include external side chaining if not utilizing VST3. That's not the case.

Apple created AUs and AU-3 is coming with some nice improvements. As it stands today, AUs already encapsulate much of the VST3 functionality.

You might not know the answer given you are somewhat new, and that is understandable, but perhaps Andy can shed some light for you. Heck I'm even curious.
Old 2nd October 2016 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi The Fairy ➑️
Hi there,

I've been demoing The Glue for a few days and have to say that I absolutely love it!! Where has it been all my music making life and why am I always so late to every party?!

Just a quick question for Andy though - I'm sure you're mega busy so I'm sorry to ask, but as I'm a Cubase 8.5 user, I wondered if you are still working on a VST3 version? I saw it mentioned a few posts back.

Thanks so much!
The VST3 version isn't too far off now, I've got an update to The Drop, then it's onto an update for The Glue and I'll try an fit VST3 in to both.

The Range know limits the total depth of compression after the threshold has been hit, it places an upper limit on the peak amount of compression possible - the needle shows RMS, you can click on it to toggle the peak needle which is yellow.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover ➑️
Are you certain you are not mistaken? Both Ableton & Bitwig do not allow for VST3. I generally run AUs in Ableton when on the Mac, and Bitwig is VST-only across the board for some unbeknownst reason.

Is this somehow limited to Cubendo only? That seems strange as they created the standard, and it logically would apply to other DAWs such that virtually no one could include external side chaining if not utilizing VST3. That's not the case.

Apple created AUs and AU-3 is coming with some nice improvements. As it stands today, AUs already encapsulate much of the VST3 functionality.

You might not know the answer given you are somewhat new, and that is understandable, but perhaps Andy can shed some light for you. Heck I'm even curious.
There was a political decision (i.e. nothing to do with technically being possible) made by Steinberg a long time ago when Charlie was ousted and someone that loved COM (Microsoft) got in and concocted the VST3 specification and wanted to force developers to adopt it by not supporting external side chain routing properly with VST2 plugins - awesome!

Note that VST3 IS NOT an extension of the VST2 specification, it is completely different, much like AU is different from VST2 or AAX for that matter!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis ➑️
Re: sidechaining - in The Glue, is the internal sidechain still active in Cubase (which requires VST3 for external sidechaining)?

(Sorry for that nooby question).

Is there an ETA for VST3?

Thanks -
The Glue is fully functional in Cubase, but Steinberg in their eternal wisdom make it a complete ball ache to route audio to the secondary stereo input pair as a way to "help" their customers want to use VST3 plugins.

I really do feel tempted to insist upon only supporting VST3 if Steinberg add proper support for routing of audio to VST2 plugins.
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Do you plan on adding proper distortion, thd and everything related to that to Glue? To be a 100% emu of ssl buss comp!
Old 3rd October 2016 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI ➑️
Do you plan on adding proper distortion, thd and everything related to that to Glue? To be a 100% emu of ssl buss comp!
I do hope to be able to do this, but until if / when it's done I can't comment further as I don't want people to purchase The Glue on a feature that doesn't yet exist.
Old 19th March 2017 | Show parent
DuX
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-cytomic ➑️
Where possible I use the motherboard ID, or other system invariant IDs so you can re-format the hard drive and re-authorise without triggering another authorisation.
Absolutely sane decision as using MAC address can lead to problems with computers that are only audio workstations, without internet!

I would actually go as far as to say: MAC address should be the last solution to use for authorisation! Motherboard serial/ID first.
Old 20th March 2017 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX ➑️
Absolutely sane decision as using MAC address can lead to problems with computers that are only audio workstations, without internet!

I would actually go as far as to say: MAC address should be the last solution to use for authorisation! Motherboard serial/ID first.
Actually I was using the motherboard serial / id, but that is way less reliable than using the "primary" mac address on the motherboard. This primary mac address is the address of the first "built in" network adaptor on the motherboard, and it remains unchanged if you use it to connect to a network / internet or not - it is a physical network card attached to the motherboard so you can always access its mac address (unless you de-solder it!).
Old 14th June 2017 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News update: The Glue Beta v1.3.16 is out! Make sure to load the plugin in a blank project to make sure it's authorised before loading existing songs as there is a new more stable machine id being used. I've reset everyone's authorisation counts because everyone will be have to re-authorise
  • New: minimum phase and intermediate phase modes for oversampling
  • New: global CPU meter
  • New: more stable better machine id generation

Make sure to click the little (+) sign to show the beta builds:
https://cytomic.com/glue
Old 14th June 2017
Gear Addict

Hello, i am getting a page not found message when i hit the 1.3.16 win link.
Old 14th June 2017 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pquinn ➑️
Hello, i am getting a page not found message when i hit the 1.3.16 win link.
Thanks for reporting that, all fixed!
Old 14th June 2017
Gear Addict

Great, thanks. Looking forward to trying it out.
Old 22nd June 2017 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News update: The Glue v1.3.17 is up. This version fixes a problem with bug with the new oversampling system. Click on the little (+) button in the download section and remember to double check in a new project that the plugin is authorised if you haven't done so in a while:

Old 23rd June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
News update: The Glue v1.3.17 is up. This version fixes a problem with bug with the new oversampling system. Click on the little (+) button in the download section and remember to double check in a new project that the plugin is authorised if you haven't done so in a while:

Thanks, I think: Says not safe for production work. How (overly?) cautious are you being with this caveat?

Addendum: In retrospect, I think I'm coming off as rather smart-alecky. That's not intended.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPXRH ➑️
Thanks, I think: Says not safe for production work. How (overly?) cautious are you being with this caveat?
This version I'm pretty confident will be fine now that I fixed that one tiny new oversampling bug, but I'd still like to hear back from a few people before removing the Beta tag.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This version I'm pretty confident will be fine now that I fixed that one tiny new oversampling bug, but I'd still like to hear back from a few people before removing the Beta tag.
Thank you very much for your reply.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Andy, are you already working on complete emu update of the circuit and all stuff for The Glue? I am sure you can do it best of all...
Old 28th June 2017 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Andy, are you already working on complete emu update of the circuit and all stuff for The Glue? I am sure you can do it best of all...
Yes, it's in the works. I hope to do an in depth model of the DBX gain reduction chip as well as main signal path non-linearities. I can't confirm what will be included for the HD mode of The Glue but expect a free update that blows away the competition.

A competitor recently updated their emulation of the SSL bus comp, and it is quite flattering that they chose to copy almost the entire feature set to The Glue, which was released 8 years ago! When I first released The Glue I had to keep the cpu down since computers weren't nearly as powerful, so it's definitely time for an update to a classic
Old 29th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Never mind

(Delete didn't work)

Last edited by Solidtrax; 29th June 2017 at 05:49 PM..
Old 5th July 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Cool article and video

https://www.continuummusicstudio.com...us-compressor/
Old 5th July 2017 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsound ➑️
Or not. I would love the reviewer to post spectrum plots with various test signals comparing the Duende compressor and the X-Logic compressor they have, and also a bunch of audio demos doing the same, along with the dry signals and the settings used. I'll happily process the same dry audio with The Glue so everyone can judge on their own which one is better. I won't hold my breath on this.

If you conflate aliasing with a "modern sound" perhaps the Duende is better because it does alias more, but if you like analog tone (which doesn't alias) then I doubt it very much. The Glue's sound and spectrum are smooth like the X-Logic analog unit I tested against and we've provided audio demos on the Cytomic web page and have posted numerous plots and demos in various forums including this one to back this up. If you want to process more extreme settings then The Glue has the most advanced oversampling settings of any plugin on the market, so you are covered. With Deunde the only department you're covered in is aliasing.

Last edited by andy-cytomic; 6th July 2017 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: fixed typos
Old 5th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you want to process more extreme settings then The Glue has the most advanced oversampling settings of any plugin on the market, so you are covered.
Which is exactly why I think you are the person to make the perfect end all be all plugin 1176
Old 6th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➑️
Which is exactly why I think you are the person to make the perfect end all be all plugin 1176
Couldnt agree more! Only person who can do it correctly is Andy!!! Maybe after The Glue update he will surprise u with 1176 and than LA2A emus, which will finally end our problems of searching for perfect emulation. Those would be the last sw compressors I would buy...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Couldnt agree more! Only person who can do it correctly is Andy!!! Maybe after The Glue update he will surprise u with 1176 and than LA2A emus, which will finally end our problems of searching for perfect emulation. Those would be the last sw compressors I would buy...
I'm the last person on earth who is not excited when a new plugin is released, so I will always be interested to experience new/improved plugins for sure. I have faith Andy can make an incredible emulation of any compressor so I will not stop him!

However, at the same time I ask myself the question why am I so interested? I have all the tools in the world already, with 15+ compressors, 15+ eq's, 18 reverbs (oh boy) and many many more types of plugins to make an amazing sounding mix. I rather become an improved version of myself!

Nah, forget that.. I need more plugins!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Same here! And I'm with on adding LA2A to the list!
Old 7th July 2017 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: The Glue v1.3.18 is ready for download. This build fixes a minor possible bug with the new oversampler in linear phase mode, and also improves the nulling ability of the ovrsampler in all modes. It's a recommended update for everyone.

The Glue v1.3.18 (7 July 2017)
  • New: reduced oversampler latency to use the lowest possible to support current realtime and render oversampling amounts
  • New: added advanced setting to allow dynamic updating of latency when switching between realtime and render – note: very few hosts support this, so this setting has to be manually changed in the settings.xml config file
  • Fixed: uninitialised variable in linear phase oversampler
Old 7th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
News: The Glue v1.3.18 is ready for download. This build fixes a minor possible bug with the new oversampler in linear phase mode, and also improves the nulling ability of the ovrsampler in all modes. It's a recommended update for everyone.

The Glue v1.3.18 (7 July 2017)
  • New: reduced oversampler latency to use the lowest possible to support current realtime and render oversampling amounts
  • New: added advanced setting to allow dynamic updating of latency when switching between realtime and render – note: very few hosts support this, so this setting has to be manually changed in the settings.xml config file
  • Fixed: uninitialised variable in linear phase oversampler
hi ANDY, just wanted to say what i HATE about the GLUE ... NOTHING !!! haha .. had you going ..

just wnated to say thx for your continuing progess with the Glue !!!

you rock - slightly compressed - wink wink ... but you rock !!!

cheers john
Old 10th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, it's in the works. I hope to do an in depth model of the DBX gain reduction chip as well as main signal path non-linearities. I can't confirm what will be included for the HD mode of The Glue but expect a free update that blows away the competition.

A competitor recently updated their emulation of the SSL bus comp, and it is quite flattering that they chose to copy almost the entire feature set to The Glue, which was released 8 years ago! When I first released The Glue I had to keep the cpu down since computers weren't nearly as powerful, so it's definitely time for an update to a classic
Will this be in the ableton live version also?
Old 10th July 2017 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape set ➑️
Will this be in the ableton live version also?
Well it's hard to license something that doesn't even exist, but there are currently no plans to license an HD version of The Glue to Ableton. We did license some of the resonant filter algorithms from The Drop to Ableton, and they had both MD and HD versions, but they haven't used the HD versions since they take more cpu. In light of that I'm not sure if Ableton would even be interested in licensing an HD version.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Addict

The Glue v1.3.18 does not recall settings from previous version in my sessions. Win7 x64 SP1, Studio One 3.5.1 x64.
πŸ“ Reply