Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 82 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 27th January 2015 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
Cool. Does it matter to the plugin if you're in the yellow or is it just a helpful meter?
Yes it is just a helpful meter when it glows yellow - no clipping is going on, it is just showing that the output signal is near 0 dBFS, or when solid yellow over.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction ➡️
YES!

Consider that a pre-order

ETA for the dsp version?
I have no ETA for the AAX DSP version, but it will definitely be post releasing the native version, hopefully by the end of this year but it is impossible to tell for certain.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, that GUI just looks fantastic.
Deleted 1aa3d46
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-cytomic ➡️
I don't want to dazzle people with the graphics, please check the updated render where I've toned down the reflections. Thanks for the feedback!

PS: the knobs aren't 3dish, they are actually all done in 3d software as you can see by the perspective render. The perspective render actually has the "normal" reflection amounts, but when rendered in orthographic mode (ie straight from the top) then the reflections have to be toned down a little, which is what I've done in the latest render.
I very much appreciate your respond. Now, in my opinion, the GUI looks better and less flaring but I don't like whole new appearance because of that multitone colors which imitate shadows and metal-look knobs, which is why I call it 3Dish. I find it distracting. Furthermore, some shadows, particular on Ratio knob, just doesn't look good to me. Maybe this preview seems to me like this partly because of JPEG compression.
Another thing that I noticed meanwhile is how would this GUI look when knobs are getting tweaked. If graphics would hold still, I think it would look weird in a bad way and if they would be animated it would maybe be cool and good but I can't really imagine that.

Regarding your response to me, even I am the only one who seems that don't like new GUI, I don't want to muck your work and give you headache so I have suggestion for two skins. Classic (old one) and modern (new one). If that's not solution for you, don't worry about me.

In any case, thanks a lot!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szmola ➡️
I very much appreciate your respond. Now, in my opinion, the GUI looks better and less flaring but I don't like whole new appearance because of that multitone colors which imitate shadows and metal-look knobs, which is why I call it 3Dish. I find it distracting. Furthermore, some shadows, particular on Ratio knob, just doesn't look good to me. Maybe this preview seems to me like this partly because of JPEG compression.
Another thing that I noticed meanwhile is how would this GUI look when knobs are getting tweaked. If graphics would hold still, I think it would look weird in a bad way and if they would be animated it would maybe be cool and good but I can't really imagine that.
Thanks for the feedback. I am happy with the results and don't feel they are too "dazling" any more. Everything will look gorgeous when animated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szmola ➡️
Regarding your response to me, even I am the only one who seems that don't like new GUI, I don't want to muck your work and give you headache so I have suggestion for two skins. Classic (old one) and modern (new one). If that's not solution for you, don't worry about me.

In any case, thanks a lot!
There will not be two skins, so I hope you learn to like the new one! (Or you can continue to use the existing plugin as the sound won't be any different).
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➡️
Taking a look at the more tamed contrast, I'm split on them. At first it was a bit dazzling but you adjust. I think I'm actually partial to the first. The render on both are so nice though.
First impressions matter, I don't want people to have to get used to it. It is always the way, I do the 3D render and think wow that looks cool, but I always do the first one a bit too shiny / dazzling, then tone it down a fraction and it's much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➡️
Hey Andy, would it take much work to add a meter toggle button that switches from the massive 20dB range to a more useful 5dB range? That way each of the incremental markings could note 1dB each. This was one of the features that were discussed a while back. I think it would be a very cool addition that a lot of people who use it on their master would appreciate. I know it sounds like new features are far off in the horizon, but would it be that difficult to implement?
It would not be difficult to implement at all, the code that draws the needle can arbitrarily scale the angle. The trick is exposing the feature to users in a consistent and easy to understand way that won't lead to confusion, I'll see what I can do!
Deleted 1aa3d46
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am happy with the results and don't feel they are too "dazling" any more. Everything will look gorgeous when animated.

There will not be two skins, so I hope you learn to like the new one! (Or you can continue to use the existing plugin as the sound won't be any different).
I am curiously waiting to see animation of plugin, maybe that will solve my problem of not liking it.

Keep up the good work 'cause this is one of the greatest compressor plugins!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Any plans on adding some distortion to it, like the one from The Drop?

Would be pretty sweet to dial in some here and there.
Old 27th January 2015
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
There is a growing problem with both capability and compatibility among GPUs in spite of "standards." Now that we've reached a point of diminishing returns in computer performance for audio work, people are no longer buying new computers nearly as often as in the past making compatibility among hardware and operating system versions a lot bigger problem than it was only a few years ago. I would hope that plug-in developers start paying a lot more attention to efficient graphics with low redraw rates. At the very least there ought to be efficient graphics modes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just out of curiosity, what package do you use to render your GUI?

Cheers,

Joe
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Whether visuals affect sound? In many cases yes, our creativity can be motivated by colours . Therefore , its always good to come out of the monochrome world and feed your mind with something colourful
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
cytomic distortion (/stompbox) plugin? forget the glue gui lets get on with this!
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joris de man ➡️
Just out of curiosity, what package do you use to render your GUI?

Cheers,

Joe
I use moi3d for the hard surface modelling and most of the layout, and I then export and do the texturing, fine tuning and final renders in modo.

moi3d ( MoI, 3D modeling for designers and artists - USD 295 ) is a nurbs package, so it is great at constructing precise forms from cross sections, booleans, and curves and then you can bevel (round) the edges and corners with exact surface continuity, so this gives a very real and engineered feel since these packages are used to export IGES and STEP to manufacturers to actual build stuff in the real world.

modo ( MODO | The next generation of 3D content creation | The Foundry - USD 1495 ) is a sub-division surface polygonal modeller, so it's not good at precise engineering tasks like moi3d, but it's great for pretty much everything else, and has the best workflow and built in render engine of any 3d package I know of.

My main development platform is Mac, and both of these packages give you a Win and Mac license for the one purchase price, and both packages are a bargain considering what they offer, and are brilliant to use, so I have no problem recommending them to anyone, in fact the more people that buy them and use them the better they will get!
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
There is a growing problem with both capability and compatibility among GPUs in spite of "standards." Now that we've reached a point of diminishing returns in computer performance for audio work, people are no longer buying new computers nearly as often as in the past making compatibility among hardware and operating system versions a lot bigger problem than it was only a few years ago. I would hope that plug-in developers start paying a lot more attention to efficient graphics with low redraw rates. At the very least there ought to be efficient graphics modes.
Drawing to the screen or copying images is pretty fast these days, but only if you limit the re-draw region as much as possible. Having either a vector interface or a bitmap one doesn't matter too much in terms of CPU impact, it is totally down to how large a region you update with the re-draws. If nothing redraws then there is no cpu impact. For my interfaces only a few small sections get redrawn, and I always detect if anything has changed, and if not I don't redraw.
Old 9th February 2015 | Show parent
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Andy,

Is the Glue calibrated to be used at -18db or a different db?
When modeling the SSL rack, did you model the input and output circuit?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 9th February 2015 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E ➡️
Hey Andy,

Is the Glue calibrated to be used at -18db or a different db?
When modeling the SSL rack, did you model the input and output circuit?

Thanks,

Marc
I calibrated The Glue so that it would have reasonable compression action after turning the threshold knob around -5 dB from a 0 dBFS signal, but since the ratio also changes the threshold this is only a rough guide.

The Glue has an in depth model of the non-linear envelope followers and sidechain section, but has perfectly linear input, gain reduction, and output stages, so there is no calibration needed for gain staging and drive other than to dial in the amount of compression you want.
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Any news?
Old 1st March 2015 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: I've finished the first GUI update for The Glue which includes updating to the same framework that I'm using for The Drop. I've also updated to the latest version of the Juce framework for extra compatibility. As part of the update I can now support Retina displays (HiDPI mode) on Mac, for ultra crisp text, but this requires OS 10.8. The new copy protection system requires OS 10.6 minimum, so I'll release two versions, one with retina and one without retina support.

Fingers crossed it should take around another two weeks to get the AAX version back up and running, and then I'll do a release.

Here are actual screenshots of the new gui.

This is in "tiny" mode compared to the current gui:

And the new gui in "normal" size (small):

and links to med and large sizes:

http://cytomic.com/files/glue-newgui-med-6.jpg
http://cytomic.com/files/glue-newgui-large-6.jpg
Old 1st March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, that's lookin' great Andrew! Can't wait to use it natively again in ProToys11HD! :-)
Spread the word folks. This is definitely the best sounding buss comp out there! IMO

Regards,
Matt
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Would kill a man for 50 ms release time
Old 12th March 2015 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Things are looking reasonably good for the AAX builds, everything is working fine apart from the Pace signing.

To begin with Pace didn't bother assigning me any of their Code Signing tools that were meant to be assigned as part of the "signup process". Days later, but only after I emailed them, I did get the tools deposited to my iLok account and then followed their instructions to active them, the last step of which was performing the dreaded "synchronizzzzzzzzzzation", which of course hung. So now I'm left with the 1000 dollar question, do I force quit the iLok License Manager and risk screwing up my iLok with all my Avid developer auths on it, or do I wait another 20 minutes in the hope that it will miraculously work? Ahh Pace, so much fun. I emailed them asking what their recommended approach is when this happens, I'm assuming they must have a stock reply on this by now

This isn't such a big deal for me, I have people waiting for an AAX build sure, but it's not like I've got a studio with bookings and my iLok is out of action - I really feel for all those people that had that happen to them and hope they are still in business after such a blow.
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
force-quit!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nc0 ➡️
force-quit!
Force quit is not ideal, how about recover gracefully and display a meaningful error message to the user and don't leave my iLok ruined? Is that really too much to ask when this operation is at the core to Pace's user experience? I suppose so.

Yes, I ended up not waiting for a reply from Pace, they have no offices in my time zone so that would waste another day. I had to force quit their iLok License Manager in the end since it was completely frozen and unresponsive. Luckily for me when I restarted it my iLok seems to be ok. I hesitantly tried to do a synchronise operation on it and this time it didn't hang.

I am not feeling very confident with Pace at the moment and their buggy software that can't even pop up a dialog box to help out when one of their software's core operations hangs like this. Force quitting an application during a critical operation that shows a message "Do not unplug your iLok(s)" is not ideal. If they apply this level of dedication to their user interface to end customers (it's the same iLok License Manager everyone uses) I can only shudder at what is going on with the stuff I can't see.

I actually test my software and do drastic things like unplug my network cable / switch off my modem half way through a process and make sure my software recovers gracefully and displays a meaningful message to my customers, not just sit there spinning in a hung state.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Force quit is not ideal, how about recover gracefully and display a meaningful error message to the user and don't leave my iLok ruined? Is that really too much to ask when this operation is at the core to Pace's user experience? I suppose so.

Yes, I ended up not waiting for a reply from Pace, they have no offices in my time zone so that would waste another day. I had to force quit their iLok License Manager in the end since it was completely frozen and unresponsive. Luckily for me when I restarted it my iLok seems to be ok. I hesitantly tried to do a synchronise operation on it and this time it didn't hang.

I am not feeling very confident with Pace at the moment and their buggy software that can't even pop up a dialog box to help out when one of their software's core operations hangs like this. Force quitting an application during a critical operation that shows a message "Do not unplug your iLok(s)" is not ideal. If they apply this level of dedication to their user interface to end customers (it's the same iLok License Manager everyone uses) I can only shudder at what is going on with the stuff I can't see.

I actually test my software and do drastic things like unplug my network cable / switch off my modem half way through a process and make sure my software recovers gracefully and displays a meaningful message to my customers, not just sit there spinning in a hung state.
Yeah, I had to force-quit iLok software a few times. I would be much happier with dongle-free protection, but so many softwares are tied to it nowadays. :(
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i think plugin companies need some kind of union to deal with pace, at least a monthly facetime concall or something. i think that would help everyone, pace included, in the long run.
Old 20th March 2015 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: The Glue Beta v1.3.1 is ready, please email me with any problems - http://www.cytomic.com/contact

Download: http://www.cytomic.com/glue

The Glue Beta v1.3.1 (20 Mar 2015)
  • New: fully scalable user interface
  • New: retina display support on Mac
  • New: AAX Native version
  • New: password protected copy protection to support code signing and AAX
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Great news!

Downloading...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Authorised, and running on a mix! Thanks Andy!

Last edited by andreªs; 20th March 2015 at 12:10 PM..
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreªs ➡️
Authorised, and running on a mix! Thanks Andy!
Great! Thanks for letting me know. Are you on Mac? I'm pretty confident with that version. Anyone on Windows? Please post and let me know how you go!
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Failed Validation on a Mac (Mavericks) with Logic X
📝 Reply