Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 81 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
in response to a post on page 79 ... Andy, this is a honest question out of curiosity as you are probably the only one here that knows .. how does Waves or any other plugin that uses AAX, use their Copy Protection .. yours if different and I agree that you should be able to use whatever copy protection you like .. what is the difference theirs and yours .. again this is an sincere honest question ..

as myself and others have said if there is a need for a slightly higher price to help with your Research / Development of copy protection solutions we are willing to pay .. this is too much personal grief you are going through for this .. it is such good product .. sorry that you are even having to deal with this and us as we seek out a Date for the Release of the Glue every week or so .. Myself as guilty as anyone .. let us help you brother .. that said, have a great weekend

cheers john
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yea, seriously missing this plugin on vocals. VBC Grey just doesn't do the same for me.
Old 25th January 2015 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➑️
Hi Andy

Do you have any inclination to model any other compressors or anything else for us?
I plan to model loads more kit, including compressors, EQs, stomp boxes, and a bunch more devices. Out of all the compressors an 1176 type compressor is most likely to be done next, but I'll probably do another couple of plugins before then. I won't know what is up next until I start work on it and see progress.

But before all that I've got AAX and VST3 to support!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➑️
in response to a post on page 79 ... Andy, this is a honest question out of curiosity as you are probably the only one here that knows .. how does Waves or any other plugin that uses AAX, use their Copy Protection .. yours if different and I agree that you should be able to use whatever copy protection you like .. what is the difference theirs and yours .. again this is an sincere honest question ..

as myself and others have said if there is a need for a slightly higher price to help with your Research / Development of copy protection solutions we are willing to pay .. this is too much personal grief you are going through for this .. it is such good product .. sorry that you are even having to deal with this and us as we seek out a Date for the Release of the Glue every week or so .. Myself as guilty as anyone .. let us help you brother .. that said, have a great weekend

cheers john
The new copy protection system is all done and up and running without issue in The Drop, and my internal builds of The Glue. My old copy protection system used digital watermaking of each and every binary that left the server, which altered the binary and so broke the compulsory Pace digital signing that Avid force AAX developers to use, so the plugin would not load.

I am very happy with the new copy protection system, it is password protected and provides me a way to securely allow my plugins to be installed on public machines at studios and educational institutions. The current watermarking is not secure in that anyone can copy the plugin and run it on any machine they want.

edit: non-digital watermarking copy protection usually stores an authorisation file somewhere, either on a dongle, or somewhere on the file system, so does not alter the binary itself which is the thing that gets signed.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I'm working on the updated version of The Glue right now, which will feature the new password protected copy protection system so I can support AAX and VST3, as well as an updated fully scalable interface. The sound will remain untouched for this update release but I am going to add some new features this year some time. The new gui will look something like this:

regular size: http://www.cytomic.com/files/glue-newgui-3.jpg
huge size: http://www.cytomic.com/files/glue-newgui-big-3.jpg

here is the regular size screenshot shown inline:
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Looks Clean .. Nice Highlights .. and thank you for the explanation .. cheers john
Old 25th January 2015
Deleted 1aa3d46
First thing that I don't like on The Glue is new GUI. My eyes hurt watching that 3dish highlighted knobs.
It's somewhat confusing looking at tool like this with graphics like that, it makes me just watch, not adjust, knobs.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szmola ➑️
First thing that I don't like on The Glue is new GUI. My eyes hurt watching that 3dish highlighted knobs.
It's somewhat confusing looking at tool like this with graphics like that, it makes me just watch, not adjust, knobs.
And the second?
Deleted 1aa3d46
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-cytomic ➑️
And the second?
Oh, no, I wanted to say that I didn't have any complaints so far and everything was so great to me! I use it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
At first I thought this was a ridiculous idea, but the render almost looks too good. Hypnotizing. I'll wait to see it smaller sized in context within my DAW though. Should be fine.
Yeah, hypnotizing, that's good word for it. I don't like it because of that. I don't want to be hypnotized on this way. While there are some good gear hypnosis because of it's design and unique simplicity this is in my opinion like listening to overly compressed song.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think it looks great.

Quote:
I'm working on the updated version of The Glue right now, which will feature the new password protected copy protection system so I can support AAX and VST3, as well as an updated fully scalable interface. The sound will remain untouched for this update release but I am going to add some new features this year some time. The new gui will look something like this:

Old 25th January 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Me too!
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Big fan of The Glue and I think the GUI is great. Modern DAWs are a simulated old time studio experience and this level of quality just adds to the experience.
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
the one thing that would make the GUi even better .. A "Blue Light" on it somewhere ..
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks good to me. Can't wait to have the glue back in PT 11. Only thing i would love to have in the future is an option to unlink the detection.
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➑️
the one thing that would make the GUi even better .. A "Blue Light" on it somewhere ..
Seems weird but it's totally true. I'd much rather replace the red light with blue as the red one makes me feel like I'm doing something "bad".

You know what else would be great, is dynamic lighting on the PEAKCLIP button. Like it gets a bit brighter the harder it's working.

Andy, is it too early to tell us what features you're planning to add?
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Please support Retina mode!

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Hi Andy, great news on the upcoming new features but that news will cause a predicament for me and other users I'd suspect. Nothing too serious tho!

I have the Drop (10/10!!) and would have bought the Glue but as I only really work with plugins in Live I decided not to as both plugins are exactly the same minus oversampling options FWIR.

Being a fan of your work, the news of upcoming features for the Glue leaves me in a dilemma. I don't want to buy the Glue simply due to the redundancy, I'd buy any of your plugs for sure, but there's no point with the Glue, or is there?

Cutting to the chase, knowing what I know about Ableton and the very fact that you are both distinct companies, it would seem likely that users of the Glue Ableton version won't see any updates to the Glue, most likely outside of a major paid for update at least. And will we ever see them then even? (This is all rhetorical btw, I'm pretty sure you can't talk too much about Abletons roadmap)

So my question is, do you have plans to add a lot more to the Glue? AS I understand the Drop is feature complete. But if the Glue gets more (killer!) features then it looks like me and many others will have two licences to use the Glue, with one of them seriously lagging behind the other making it essentially redundant.
Old 26th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The new gui will look something like this:

Looks very slick Andy, nice work
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really happy to hear The Glue will be AAX. I prefer it to VBC by a large margin. I have VBC and always try to like it but I just don't. It makes things sound smaller, to me.

The Glue on the other hand usually just sounds 'right'.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AAX-DSP

Hey Andy,

Do you have any plans to made an AAX-DSP version in the future?
Old 27th January 2015 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➑️
Seems weird but it's totally true. I'd much rather replace the red light with blue as the red one makes me feel like I'm doing something "bad".

You know what else would be great, is dynamic lighting on the PEAKCLIP button. Like it gets a bit brighter the harder it's working.

Andy, is it too early to tell us what features you're planning to add?
The red light is the peak clip LED, but it will only show red when peak clip is enabled and you are clipping the signal (not all the time like I showed in the render). Clipping your signal is bad and nasty unless you mean to do it so red is the best colour.

It will shine yellow when the peak clip is not enabled to say your signal level is hot.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore ➑️
Hey Andy,

Do you have any plans to made an AAX-DSP version in the future?
Yes!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I've fined tuned the gui a little bit now, toned down the reflections on the knobs as well as a few other little improvements, thanks for the feedback!

Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nc0 ➑️
Please support Retina mode!
I can support retina mode but there is a bug in Apple's implementation of render regions that causes the entire gui to slow down when only rendering tiny little rectangles in each corner of the gui. I had to pull retina support until either Apple fix things at their end or I can come up with a workaround.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szmola ➑️
I don't want to dazzle people with the graphics, please check the updated render where I've toned down the reflections. Thanks for the feedback!

PS: the knobs aren't 3dish, they are actually all done in 3d software as you can see by the perspective render. The perspective render actually has the "normal" reflection amounts, but when rendered in orthographic mode (ie straight from the top) then the reflections have to be toned down a little, which is what I've done in the latest render.

Last edited by andy-cytomic; 27th January 2015 at 09:18 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can support retina mode but there is a bug in Apple's implementation of render regions that causes the entire gui to slow down when only rendering tiny little rectangles in each corner of the gui. I had to pull retina support until either Apple fix things at their end or I can come up with a workaround.
ah ok. maybe that's the reason for Logic & Live GUI becoming sluggish. thx.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistikuffs ➑️
Hi Andy, great news on the upcoming new features but that news will cause a predicament for me and other users I'd suspect. Nothing too serious tho!

I have the Drop (10/10!!) and would have bought the Glue but as I only really work with plugins in Live I decided not to as both plugins are exactly the same minus oversampling options FWIR.

Being a fan of your work, the news of upcoming features for the Glue leaves me in a dilemma. I don't want to buy the Glue simply due to the redundancy, I'd buy any of your plugs for sure, but there's no point with the Glue, or is there?
The sound won't change with the next update, it is only AAX, VST3 and a new scalable GUI that will be added, so it will sound exactly like the Live version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistikuffs ➑️
Cutting to the chase, knowing what I know about Ableton and the very fact that you are both distinct companies, it would seem likely that users of the Glue Ableton version won't see any updates to the Glue, most likely outside of a major paid for update at least. And will we ever see them then even? (This is all rhetorical btw, I'm pretty sure you can't talk too much about Abletons roadmap)

So my question is, do you have plans to add a lot more to the Glue? AS I understand the Drop is feature complete. But if the Glue gets more (killer!) features then it looks like me and many others will have two licences to use the Glue, with one of them seriously lagging behind the other making it essentially redundant.
When I add new features I'll increment the version number of The Glue to v2. This will be a free update to all customers. Ableton may be interested in licensing the update, but since I haven't even done it yet it is a bit early. I would stick with the Live device version until I have added the new features, you can then make a decision if you want to buy the plugin straight away, or wait a year a few years and see if Ableton want to license it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes!
YES!

Consider that a pre-order

ETA for the dsp version?
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The red light is the peak clip LED, but it will only show red when peak clip is enabled and you are clipping the signal (not all the time like I showed in the render). Clipping your signal is bad and nasty unless you mean to do it so red is the best colour.

It will shine yellow when the peak clip is not enabled to say your signal level is hot.
Cool. Does it matter to the plugin if you're in the yellow or is it just a helpful meter?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nc0 ➑️
ah ok. maybe that's the reason for Logic & Live GUI becoming sluggish. thx.
Well with a retina display there are also x4 the pixels to render, but yes it may also be to do with how core graphics conglomerates individual and many small but spread out re-draw rectangles.
πŸ“ Reply