The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 16th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not working in reaper!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Latest Trial versions of The Glue beta are below. No noise this time.

The Glue Trial Beta limitations of the are:
* Timeout after 14 days
* No load, no paste, no parameter automation

http://cytomic.com/downloads/Cytomic_TheGlueTrial_ v1.0.7_Mac_Au.zip
http://cytomic.com/downloads/Cytomic_TheGlueTrial_ v1.0.7_Mac_Vst.zip
http://cytomic.com/downloads/Cytomic_TheGlueTrial_ v1.0.7_Win_Vst.zip

If you have tested the beta and you are happy enough to part your hard earned cash for it then you can get your build by sending $99 usd to sales atsign cytomic dotsign com and I'll get you a build within the next 24 hours since I have to process the orders manually at the moment.

Andrew Simper
Hey Andy!

Just load up version 1.07 that you just released and copied the Folder in my Vst plugins folder, i'm on PC and load it up Reaper quickly with a Stereo track in. Load up Glue and trying to move any knob and nothing is happening! I mean NADA, none of the knobs are moving. Tried to click on COMP in and nothing is happening? Is this normal?

Gonna try it on Nuendo and Sonar maybe to see what's the deal. Anyone who has Reaper can give this a try please!!! Thanx
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Yes, this is an existing bug in this build. Please try closing then opening the gui editor and or closing and opening the plugin (can't remember what the fix people posted was)

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, this is an existing bug in this build. Please try closing then opening the gui editor and or closing and opening the plugin (can't remember what the fix people posted was)

Andrew Simper
And Andrew! Just noticed something. Ok I just opened Glue on my Nuendo and knobs are working very well, everything is working although, while playing with the knobs, i notice that you don't have the option let's say i'm playing with the "Range" knob ok! And by default it's always in the middle at -40. Now i bring it up to full and i decided want to bring it back to the middle at -40. Normally i should be able to either with my mouse click CTRL mouse in the knob range and would bring the knob back to default right? I know it works with other plugins from Waves, to PSP to StillWell etc... and with GLUE i even tried SHIFT, ALT click mouse knob to bring back to normal and not working.

I think that would be cool to have that possibility especially if you're still in the BETA revisions!!!

Let me know and i'm gonna try back what you suggested with REAPER and see if it works back!!

Cheers!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There is a noise free Trail version of The Glue now, if you have the time I would really appreciate you would you care to re-do the demos. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you match the settings?

I have access to a duende, so I'll do two examples and post them here for people to pick which one they like best in a blind test.

Andrew Simper

Andy I will try and make new files with the noise free version
The settings I used were Attack at 3 and release on Auto and range at full
both compressors knocking of bewteen 3-4db..

I did not intentionally make the Duende louder actually I was trying hard to get
them to match but that is another art in itself and it was late.

I aprreciate that The Glue has many more settings and I have played with these
extensively to get The Glue too work more how I would like which is the Deunde
in this case.

Andy I hope you do not feel Im trying to put your product down as I have been complimentary about it.
Remeber a lot of people do not want the hassle of DSP cards which can be problematic and expensive.
Also The GLue is a different sound compared to the Duende witch is not really so good at roughing things up like The Glue
but I feel personally that The Glue is not as good at being cleaner.

Please consider that another poster asked for a comparison bewteen the Duende and The Glue and I just filled the slot.
You should do a blind test with a Duende for sure and there is a high chance I will pick The Glue as I picked it over a real SSL Bus comrpessor.
Old 17th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Okay Here are the Redone Duende and The Glue Mix Buss Snippets using the new no noise Glue Trial.
Also this time I have not named the Files to the compressor and Ive tried to match the levels better.
Attached Files

GLue or Duende B.mp3 (2.51 MB, 1110 views)

GLue or Duende A.mp3 (2.51 MB, 1070 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom ➑️
Okay Here are the Redone Duende and The Glue Mix Buss Snippets using the new no noise Glue Trial.
Also this time I have not named the Files to the compressor and Ive tried to match the levels better.
The tonal characteristics of those files differ so much...

A - seems softer in the highs but duller.

B - seems punchier more bright - more prescence, but peakier

Problem is, each has it's own merits.

I have been comparing it to my Waves SSL but I need more time...

Still buying the GLUE tho'.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yes lets have a Glue v Duende shoot - out.

Please some nice fairly heavy compressed drums as well as mix excerpts - slow attack fast release 5 - 10 db gain reduction thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
yes lets have a Glue v Duende shoot - out.

Please some nice fairly heavy compressed drums as well as mix excerpts - slow attack fast release 5 - 10 db gain reduction thumbsup

Well ive done Mix snippets so now I will do some heavy stuff
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Duende vs The Glue Heavy Settings

Okay here is a Blind test where I used all the feature of the Duende Buss Compressor
and the Glue.The only feature I did not use is the wet control on the Glue as I could actually set it up with any compressor.

Im peaking at around 14db of compression

Have fun

PS no wingy about levels I tried to match as well as I could
Attached Files

Glue or Duende Heavy A.mp3 (1.22 MB, 1048 views)

Glue or Duende Heavy B.mp3 (1.22 MB, 1109 views)

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Interesting!

Ok example 1 Audio A has a more open hi-fi sound to me - Im surprised by how much treble seems to be taken from Audio B - a little muddier. But that was the subtle difference to me.

Example 2 nice slammin' drums!

This time it is Audio B I prefer the snare hits more open and there appears to me more room and seperation between the sounds. Audio A snare sounds a little more choked.
That said they are very similar.

Im not gonna guess I have made my selections and will anticipate the grand reveal. EDIT - I would also be interested in the ratio/attack release settings.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
Interesting!

Ok example 1 Audio A has a more open hi-fi sound to me - Im surprised by how much treble seems to be taken from Audio B - a little muddier. But that was the subtle difference to me.

Example 2 nice slammin' drums!

This time it is Audio B I prefer the snare hits more open and there appears to me more room and seperation between the sounds. Audio A snare sounds a little more choked.
That said they are very similar.

Im not gonna guess I have made my selections and will anticipate the grand reveal. EDIT - I would also be interested in the ratio/attack release settings.
Attack 10
Release 1
Ratios each at Max

The Glue was silly at these settings so I had to play with the range and filter
to stop ot being a mush.

There is a lot of power in those 2 controls
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They both sound close but, "B" holds the lowend better. Not that there's that much lowend to begin with. You have it in crunch mode. I like the smack in both and on small speakers, "A" seems pretty cool. I don't know which one it is but, would like to know. I have the Waves SSL version and love it. If you put a version of the little sample ya got going on without any compression, I'll run it through the Waves one to see the difference.

Thanx

Marc
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
woah .7 didnt even retain any of the setting and I didnt even exit the session(PT8 with wrapper). Running on the master buss for mix session and it just reset itself. Ohhhh well.......

Anywho besides volume differences I have two quick mixes which consist the glue and the L2007. Pick and choose.
Attached Files

LOVE OF MUSIC.mp3 (3.45 MB, 640 views)

LOVE OF MUSIC 1.1.mp3 (3.45 MB, 850 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wholly inappropriate to compare this to the L2007, which is a L2-style look-ahead limiter. Entirely different things.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
To me A sounds more wider and the instruments feels like there more "together". The levels in the drums, are more in control.

B is louder though, did you normalize the files before you compressed them?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Okay here is a Blind test where I used all the feature of the Duende Buss Compressor
and the Glue.The only feature I did not use is the wet control on the Glue as I could actually set it up with any compressor.

Have fun

A sounds more clean and controlled.

B sounds like the compressor works a little harder, but it sounds good too...

I don't know... Like both! Think I would prefer B on a drum buss - If I had too choose.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik ➑️
To me A sounds more wider and the instruments feels like there more "together". The levels in the drums, are more in control.

B is louder though, did you normalize the files before you compressed them?

No I did not normalze the files I jsut tried to match the levels I realise now B is a tad louder but the listener can match better if they have too.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Andy I will try and make new files with the noise free version
The settings I used were Attack at 3 and release on Auto and range at full
both compressors knocking of bewteen 3-4db..
Ok stop right there, this will not match the settings with Duende. Which sidechain opamp voltage rail to you want to model, the 18 V or 15 V? If you want 18 V then set the range to around -72 dB or for 15 V set it to around -60 dB. Personally I prefer it at -40 dB for most applications. I have the "Full" setting there so people can use The Glue in a more digital operation mode which is useful for some external sidechain pumping applications.

Quote:
I did not intentionally make the Duende louder actually I was trying hard to get
them to match but that is another art in itself and it was late.

I aprreciate that The Glue has many more settings and I have played with these
extensively to get The Glue too work more how I would like which is the Deunde
in this case.

Andy I hope you do not feel Im trying to put your product down as I have been complimentary about it.
Remeber a lot of people do not want the hassle of DSP cards which can be problematic and expensive.
Also The GLue is a different sound compared to the Duende witch is not really so good at roughing things up like The Glue
but I feel personally that The Glue is not as good at being cleaner.

Please consider that another poster asked for a comparison bewteen the Duende and The Glue and I just filled the slot.
You should do a blind test with a Duende for sure and there is a high chance I will pick The Glue as I picked it over a real SSL Bus comrpessor.
Please feel free to express your opinion in any way you want, I will never be offended by anything someone has to say. Hearing different peoples points of view is great because there is a chance I can learn something. Thanks for re-doing the audio examples.

Andrew Simper
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Have fun

It sounds like A is The Glue with the range knob set to full, and B is duende. Any chance of re-doing this demo with the range knob set to around -40 dB?

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It sounds like A is The Glue with the range knob set to full, and B is duende. Any chance of re-doing this demo with the range knob set to around -40 dB?

Andrew Simper

I did use the range settings in the other Heavy settings files
Im not going to post any more files as Cubase 5 has arrived

And Andy I will be buying your plug in as I use all my slots on the Duende
and The Glue can do other things the Duende cannot do.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am not really interested in getting Glue to sound like Duende - I like it's aggressive 'biting' style.

I just need to spend some time getting to know it well, all suggestions for some useful settings welcome...
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The Glue Review . . . First Impressions

Upfront, to be transparent, I do know andy personally from my tenure in FXpansion. Stand up guy and imo, DSP genius.

The background

Had been looking forward to this plugin for a while. My main experience of it was just a few months back. Andy had few loops set up , gave me a quick demo and then reset it to default and let me go crazy with it, my chance to try to break it. No spin, just see what you think, and back then I was impressed to say the least, and this was pre GUI.

The review

Finally moved it onto my main rig, and onto the first task, a real mix. Had one ready to go, a rock back client that hadn't come back yet to get the mixing done, so for me, a real world test. If I was going to compress, The Glue would be my go to where ever possible.

First up on the mix buss. Really enjoyed what it did to the bass end, thickened it out in a nice way, which might not suit everything, but certainly gave my track something it was lacking. Did end up using another saturation plug ( URS Saturation ) to bring back a little brightness near the end of the mix before the compressor, but then I did the mix really in about 30-45 minutes, down to taste.

Next, Drums! For me it really shined on the ambient mics, where for me, compression tends to equal grating highs. The Glue performed admirably. Used it on the overheads a little and the sub mix of close mics. The dry/wet knob really works here well.

Bass guitar . . . I really think this will be my go to compressor for bass now. Worked, my way through quite a few different compressors over the years, been hard to get the bass to stay in place without over compression. Time will tell , but I can see it being a favourite.

Guitar . . . Mellowed out the rock guitars a little bit in a nice way. If you're going for cutty electric guitar, might not be my first choice. Still flexible and worked for the track .

Vox . . . Actually ended up not using it for vox , didn't feel it would add to the vocals, again horses for course. Could see myself using it on a vocal that needed a bit more vibe.

Pros

Very flexible compressor, don't think I could do another rock mix without it. Think it's found it's new home on my mix buss.

Cons

Might have tried it more on the vocals if there was a mono version , not sure if that only comes with the full version.

Conclusion

Definitely need more time to full try it out and find out all the cool ways it can be altered, especially using the range. That said, it's already justified being picked up. Maybe I'll update the review in time to give a more detailed overview, but these are indeed my first impressions. This plugin ROCKS!

EDIT :

On listening back to mix, the vocals just felt a little weak and outside the mix. Got past myself to buss the vocals to a stereo buss, popped on 'The Glue' and ya know, much better. I did have to add in some more top after, but that’s a price I'm willing to pay!

Last edited by Synergy Media; 18th March 2009 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: Jumping to conclusions ;)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So I don't have to read through all 200+ posts, can somebody tell me how I can get ahold of this now? The links posted a couple of pages back take me to a dead page.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks, Andrew, but it still won't work for me. I get to the "Affordable Web Hosting and Design by Total Hosting" page, along with "The Requested Web Page Can't Be Found." I tried it in IE and Safari for both the Windows and AU versions and get the same response. Any idea whassup?

Sean
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjesus ➑️
yo yo yo

morning from Andy's homeland..

okay .. the results of the blind test/comparison I did a few pages ago whereby I tried to match the Glue to an SSL Stereo Buss comp (the real deal from the Mynx/X-rack module, not a Duende or a clone) are as follows:

A = The Glue
B = SSL Xrack Stereo Buss comp.

I sometimes can't pick which I like the most.

The SSL has slightly (and boy do i mean slightly) thicker low end when I use it and in general some of the upper and mid frequencies sing a little more to my ears. An ever slightly more open sound.

But the glue has this punch which i like a lot.

Bottom line.. either way The Glue totally rips **** on Waves SSL (goodbye waves) and the convenience of having recall, multiple instances etc in addition to the $4000 Australian Dollar price difference with the SSL buss compressor make it a no brainer.

Congrats Andy, u got a helluva plugin there mate.
hello there

can you tell us what converters you did use for the SSL clip ?

thanks
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➑️
Thanks, Andrew, but it still won't work for me. I get to the "Affordable Web Hosting and Design by Total Hosting" page, along with "The Requested Web Page Can't Be Found." I tried it in IE and Safari for both the Windows and AU versions and get the same response. Any idea whassup?

Sean

http://cytomic.com/downloads/Cytomic_TheGlueTrial_ v1.0.7_Mac_Au.zip
http://cytomic.com/downloads/Cytomic_TheGlueTrial_ v1.0.7_Mac_Vst.zip
http://cytomic.com/downloads/Cytomic_TheGlueTrial_ v1.0.7_Win_Vst.zip

The current versions afaik - these links still work. Be sure the entire URL is in the browser's address field, including the v1.0.7_Mac_Au.zip bit.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

B has more dynamics. This rimshot(?) sounds louder. So A is GLUE.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igro ➑️
B has more dynamics. This rimshot(?) sounds louder. So A is GLUE.

Which do you prefer?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I did use the range settings in the other Heavy settings files
Im not going to post any more files as Cubase 5 has arrived

And Andy I will be buying your plug in as I use all my slots on the Duende
and The Glue can do other things the Duende cannot do.
If you did use the range setting at -40 dB then I would guess that for the heavy compression example that The Glue is B and that Duende is A. I like the sound of B better.

Andrew Simper
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I just checked the levels, both mp3s are clipping and B is louder.

Andrew Simper
πŸ“ Reply