Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 17th July 2013 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➑️
Thanks Andy

I like the new Preset menu.

What is your tip/advice on whether or not to use the DC blocking ?
I see it is off by default.
cheers
I left the dc blocking off since I didn't want to change the default behaviour from previous versions, but I recommend using dc blocking since this more accurately models the hardware signal path.

I originally had it in there but some users couldn't get their head around the results they were seeing when processing short bursts of audio with dc offset in them so I decided to remove the dc blocking since most of the time it's inaudible anyway and I didn't want extra support load and to cause people confusion when other compressors didn't block dc (eg hey what's up with The Glue my other compressors don't do this!). I should have made it an option to disable it via the menu like I'm doing now.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It seems to load up faster than before. I like the preset menu as well. Am I imagining things or is the GUI somehow smoother looking (smooth effect like the smudge tool in a photo editor)?

Anyway, Like it a lot.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It seems to load up faster than before. I like the preset menu as well. Am I imagining things or is the GUI somehow smoother looking (smooth effect like the smudge tool in a photo editor)?

Anyway, Like it a lot.
Old 25th July 2013 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➑️

Anyway, Like it a lot.
I haven't changed the graphics at all, but I did update to the latest version of the Juce framework, so this could possibly affect how things look on retina displays, but otherwise the 3D bitmaps are identical. I did remove the borders on the buttons at the top, so this could have also softened the overall look.
Old 25th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I left the dc blocking off since I didn't want to change the default behaviour from previous versions, but I recommend using dc blocking since this more accurately models the hardware signal path.
Ok, thanks Andy.
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any difference using this over Ableton's Glue? Besides the DC offset?
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I haven't changed the graphics at all, but I did update to the latest version of the Juce framework, so this could possibly affect how things look on retina displays, but otherwise the 3D bitmaps are identical. I did remove the borders on the buttons at the top, so this could have also softened the overall look.
Thanks for the update I sent in a support request cuz for some reason after upgrading The Glue I still have version 1.2.1. Can u help?
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the update I sent in a support request cuz for some reason after upgrading The Glue I still have version 1.2.1. Can u help?
Old 26th July 2013 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy7 ➑️
Hi James, sorry for not replying to your email earlier, my inbox is a bit of a mess at the moment after finishing the recent release. I've replied to your email but will also reply here with the failsafe steps to take to get the correct version showing up:

This should be easy to fix. Please follow these steps:

1) delete The Glue from your plugin folder (For PT they are here: Where is the "Plug-Ins" folder for Pro Tools located? )
2) load your host and make sure The Glue can't be found
3) if The Glue is still there then you need to goto step 1 and try a different plugin folder this time, if your host supports loading plugins from multiple folders then you need to search all of the folders your host does and delete The Glue from all of them
4) now that The Glue can't be found by your host, go to your downloads folder and delete everything with the name "Glue" in it, all folders, all files
5) head to your Cytomic account and download the appropriate version of The Glue
6) unzip it and copy it to your plugin folder
Old 26th July 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
it would be great to have ssl saturation in the next glue update so it can compete with the new slate vbc...
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange ➑️
it would be great to have ssl saturation in the next glue update so it can compete with the new slate vbc...
Don't hold your breath.....

Sent from my GT-I9100
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If I remember some of the last comparisons of different SSL comps where people don't prefer VBC... I'm not sure anymore if this saturation thingy is the most important thing for most users?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Slate version isn't a strict emulation, as it adds a modeled Neve-style transformer which isn't part of any real SSL hardware. Put a saturation plug before The Glue if that is what you are looking for.
Old 27th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind ➑️
If I remember some of the last comparisons of different SSL comps where people don't prefer VBC... I'm not sure anymore if this saturation thingy is the most important thing for most users?
I honestly don't think saturation is where it is at. Added harmonics and that's it. Unless thats' what people are referring to with saturation.
Old 27th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Andy. Not sure if the Preset Browser is a new addition, but .
Also not sure if it has been mentioned but Kenny Gioia uses The Glue (and speaks quite highly of it) in his latest: 'Mixing in Reaper' tute .

nice ~
Old 30th July 2013 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: there is a new version of The Glue ready for download. I've re-connected the VST bypass button and reporting of latency for the AU version.

The Glue v1.2.8 (30 Jul 2013)
The Glue | Cytomic
  • New: optional checking of all input and output buffers for invalid numbers
  • Fixed: re-connected host bypass button for VST version (was lost in Juce update)
  • Fixed: re-connected latency reporting for AU version (was lost in Juce update)
Old 30th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
[*] New: optional checking of all input and output buffers for invalid numbers
What in the world does this even mean...
Old 31st July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hahha. +1.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R ➑️
What in the world does this even mean...
Not all plugins behave nicely. For that matter not all hosts do either. Since people use The Glue at the end of their plugin chain right before a limiter I have to deal with anything nasty that gets passed down the chain, right from recording, through every plugin along the way through every bus right down to the end. I've had to deal with both plugins and hosts passing "invalid" or "not a number" numbers to The Glue, which then breaks The Glue, and then people email me letting me know of the bug in The Glue. So now I've added a switch that, at the cost of extra cpu, will loop over every sample in every buffer being sent to and out of The Glue to search for these "invalid" numbers and clear them to zero instead so The Glue can't get caught out. A little green "i o" show up at the bottom left of the screen, if the "i" shows red then there was a problem before The Glue, if the "i" stays green and the "o" goes red then there was a problem with The Glue.

So this way when a customers emails me about a problem I can ask them to enable this "Check for invalid IO" option, if the little "i" goes red they know it's a problem up the recording chain and they can even use The Glue to find where it is by soloing channels / plugins until the culprit is found.
Old 31st July 2013
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Love IT!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Cool

Quote:
enable this "Check for invalid IO" option, if the little "i" goes red they know it's a problem up the recording chain and they can even use The Glue to find where it is by soloing channels / plugins until the culprit is found.
That is absolutely brilliant! I wish every plug i used had this feature
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyOPs ➑️
That is absolutely brilliant! I wish every plug i used had this feature
Yeah, I should have added this ages ago! When it's not in use there is no extra cpu consumption, but you can enable it any time you think something fishy may be going on.

I just realised I should have made it reset when you click on it as well, oh well I'll add that to an update At the moment the easiest workflow will be to add a new instance just for checking io then remove it and add it again to clear it back to green.
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi James, sorry for not replying to your email earlier, my inbox is a bit of a mess at the moment after finishing the recent release. I've replied to your email but will also reply here with the failsafe steps to take to get the correct version showing up:

This should be easy to fix. Please follow these steps:

1) delete The Glue from your plugin folder (For PT they are here: Where is the "Plug-Ins" folder for Pro Tools located? )
2) load your host and make sure The Glue can't be found
3) if The Glue is still there then you need to goto step 1 and try a different plugin folder this time, if your host supports loading plugins from multiple folders then you need to search all of the folders your host does and delete The Glue from all of them
4) now that The Glue can't be found by your host, go to your downloads folder and delete everything with the name "Glue" in it, all folders, all files
5) head to your Cytomic account and download the appropriate version of The Glue
6) unzip it and copy it to your plugin folder
???? Thanks, all is set now
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Andy, you could make a separate plugin with that feature and sell it. Or maybe make a CM version? Anyway, great feature, now i can hunt down bad plugins and see which ones they are! :D

GJ
Old 1st August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Great plug, i like it
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not all plugins behave nicely. For that matter not all hosts do either. Since people use The Glue at the end of their plugin chain right before a limiter I have to deal with anything nasty that gets passed down the chain, right from recording, through every plugin along the way through every bus right down to the end. I've had to deal with both plugins and hosts passing "invalid" or "not a number" numbers to The Glue, which then breaks The Glue, and then people email me letting me know of the bug in The Glue. So now I've added a switch that, at the cost of extra cpu, will loop over every sample in every buffer being sent to and out of The Glue to search for these "invalid" numbers and clear them to zero instead so The Glue can't get caught out. A little green "i o" show up at the bottom left of the screen, if the "i" shows red then there was a problem before The Glue, if the "i" stays green and the "o" goes red then there was a problem with The Glue.

So this way when a customers emails me about a problem I can ask them to enable this "Check for invalid IO" option, if the little "i" goes red they know it's a problem up the recording chain and they can even use The Glue to find where it is by soloing channels / plugins until the culprit is found.
This rules.

Also, any plans on AAX-DSP version?
Old 4th September 2013 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore ➑️
This rules.

Also, any plans on AAX-DSP version?
Yes, there will be an AAX-DSP version of The Glue, I already had a build working a while back which Avid showed when they first released the AAX format, and I'm working getting a current build of both the AAX Native and AAX DSP in the following months. The AAX Native is a free update, and AAX DSP will be USD 99 and also come with the AAX Native version. For anyone that has only ever downloaded the RTAS version of The Glue I'll also provide a free crossgrade to the AAX DSP+Native version.
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You're a bloody legend Andy. (And for those that don't come Australia. That's a form of bowing at ones feet).
If your work ethic were present in the rest of the industry there'd be a lot of happy people.
Keep up the great work mate

Regards
Matt
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have owned very expensive plugins and gear, but the glue is just the best SSL buss comp plugin out there!

I was a bit suspicious about the price, cause in the gear world, more expensive generally rhymes with better electronic parts etc etc and better sound.

I had to fight with my brains cause they were telling me that it couldn't be possible for something that cheap to sound so good. :D

Amazing work Sir!

Are there more plugins to come ? why not replicate the sound of a superb punchy SSL console buss and channel ? It would be a hit, BECAUSE ----> Neither the NLS nor the VCC ... NONE OF THEM REPLICATED THE SOUND CORRECTLY.

Specially in the low end(punch, aggression and size), those plugins simply do not cut it.

Do it mate, my money is ready :D
Old 4th September 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Great stuff Andy. Thanks for the update. Fantastic plugin
πŸ“ Reply