Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 71 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will there be any difference between the updated Glue and Live's native Glue compressor? I stopped using The Glue every since you ported it to Live :]
Old 1st June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My apologies if this has already been covered, but how is the Glue working on Windows 8? I'll be using Cubase 7, 64bit.
On the Cytomic website it lists it as working on Cubase 5 and Windows 7.
Old 2nd June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbar ➑️
My apologies if this has already been covered, but how is the Glue working on Windows 8? I'll be using Cubase 7, 64bit.
I've been using it in Windows 8 without issue.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman ➑️
Does anyone have a screenshot of how the presets list is supposed to look? Other than load (finder window) or left right arrows (next/previous), I don't see any thing that brings up a list of presets like other plugs has. Am I missing something?
That's it, arrows or dialogue box, there is no list. I will improve preset browsing in the future.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've not had time to upgrade to Windows 8 yet, but I've got quite a few people that have moved over to Windows 8 and I've not had a single Windows 8 specific issue reported thus far.
Old 2nd June 2013
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey Andy what do you think about adding a 50ms release time to the Glue? There are a lot of times I wish we had that!

Another thing I thought would be useful is a toggle switch for the meter display. The new display being more precise covering the most used range of 0 to -5db with markers every db. Would this be much hassle to implement?
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️

Another thing I thought would be useful is a toggle switch for the meter display. The new display being more precise covering the most used range of 0 to -5db with markers every db. Would this be much hassle to implement?
That's an excellent suggestion!
Old 7th June 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 0ec6b8e
Quote:
+1

This is the area I spent the overwhelming majority of my time in, as I suspect many others do, I very very rarely (probably never) need 15 or 20 dB of GR, it would be great to have a toggle zoom into 0 to -5dB.

Old 9th June 2013 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Andy what do you think about adding a 50ms release time to the Glue? There are a lot of times I wish we had that!

I have found that for delicate compression the white RMS needle isn't precise enough, which is why I added the yellow peak needle as well. To toggle the display of the peak needle just click on the VU meter. This peak needle has a hold time so you can see very easily the peak compression being applied to your signal, and it is this peak value that most non-VU compressors show. Have you tried this mode?
Old 9th June 2013 | Show parent
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I have found that for delicate compression the white RMS needle isn't precise enough, which is why I added the yellow peak needle as well. To toggle the display of the peak needle just click on the VU meter. This peak needle has a hold time so you can see very easily the peak compression being applied to your signal, and it is this peak value that most non-VU compressors show. Have you tried this mode?
I have. I don't find issue with the meter needle so much, but rather the display range. It's not so useful when you're adjusting in 1-2db GR ranges because most of the meter display is unused and you're just eyeballing it roughly in the tiny amount of travel space.

I'd much rather have a button to toggle the meter's display range to display from 0-5db with markers every db. If you want to dial in 1.5dB of GR quickly it would be a breeze. The 20db display range is just a waste of space for most people at a cost of poor display of the most used range.

So yes.. BIG BIG votes here for a toggle button to switch the meter display between the current and a 0-5db range! That'd be an awesome update.

Also, the 50ms release time.. ever think you might add that? Thoughts?
Old 24th June 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 0ec6b8e
Quote:
The peak mode is great, I use it all the time, but it would be great to have a 0 - 5db range switch.
Old 25th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There is no VST edition of Ableton's built in "Compressor", "Gate", and "EQ Eight devices".

The "Glue Compressor" device is identical to the plugin version of The Glue and will null perfectly with it. I also developed the new algorithm for EQ Eight for them, which is a circuit model of an ideal linear SVF. Cytomic was not involved in the development of Live's "Compressor" or "Gate" devices.
Dear Andy I have tested both the GLUE VST and the Glue inbuilt compressor of Ableton on a mix and with the exact same settings I am getting stellar results with the Ableton one, and so-so results with the VST one. What's happening and why is that ?

Is that that clipping light in the ableton plugin which has something to do with the sound ?

Thanks for clarifying.
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Baldomr ➑️
I am getting stellar results with the Ableton one, and so-so results with the VST one. What's happening and why is that ?
This sounds quite odd. Can you post an 8 bar clip of both? Also try the VST with oversampling at x2 or just disabled (in both real-time and render) to negate any possible latency compensation possibilities.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This sounds quite odd. Can you post an 8 bar clip of both? Also try the VST with oversampling at x2 or just disabled (in both real-time and render) to negate any possible latency compensation possibilities.
Sorry mate my client will kick my behind if I spill his beats. If you have Ableton, try it yourself and let me know

By the way I did not engage the "soft clip" in the ableton glue version.

Why on earth is it sounding better than the vst ?

Same attack, same release, same g.r, same makeup, same ratio, same range, 100% wet, HPF deactivated, peak clip off.

But sound, different.

If the creator of the plugin makes a compressor which sounds like the ableton glue one I would buy it without even thinking(to use on other sequencers). The difference is very subtle but it makes all the difference.
Old 25th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Andreas I have both versions and they sound exactly the same.. maybe a placebo effect???
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculus ➑️
Andreas I have both versions and they sound exactly the same.. maybe a placebo effect???
Actually my brains wanted the vst to sound better or the same, so that I could use it in another sequencer :D ... cause I want to ditch ableton as soon as I bitwig gets released.

But this is against my brain and I tried a blind test too to see if I wasn't nuts.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Actually my brains wanted the vst to sound better or the same, so that I could use it in another sequencer :D ... cause I want to ditch ableton as soon as I bitwig gets released.

But this is against my brain and I tried a blind test too to see if I wasn't nuts.
lol well i dont know but trust me they sound the same, been using the Glue for a while now and live 9 came out and i still use it, i also use the Glue in Pro Tools and there is no difference, do you have the latest version of the Glue?
Old 25th June 2013
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah something doesn't seem right there at all. If you don't want to share a clip to demonstrate what you think you hear, then the only other thing I can think of to suggest is this.. assuming you're using the Glue on your master:

Restart your DAW and render an 8 bar clip of the track with your master processing bypassed. To be safe, delete all tracks in the project except the master then insert a new audio track and drop your rendered clip in there. Now compare the sound of those two compressors working on the stereo file and see if you still hear a difference. You shouldn't.

In Andy's own words:
Quote:
The "Glue Compressor" device is identical to the plugin version of The Glue and will null perfectly with it.
Old 25th June 2013
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah something doesn't seem right there at all. If you don't want to share a clip to demonstrate what you think you hear, then the only other thing I can think of to suggest is this.. assuming you're using the Glue on your master:

Restart your DAW and render an 8 bar clip of the track with your master processing bypassed. To be safe, delete all tracks in the project except the master then insert a new audio track and drop your rendered clip in there. Now compare the sound of those two compressors working on the stereo file and see if you still hear a difference. You shouldn't. Make sure you have the latest version of the Glue.

In Andy's own words:
Quote:
The "Glue Compressor" device is identical to the plugin version of The Glue and will null perfectly with it.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Restart your DAW and render an 8 bar clip of the track with your master processing bypassed. To be safe, delete all tracks in the project except the master then insert a new audio track and drop your rendered clip in there. Now compare the sound of those two compressors working on the stereo file and see if you still hear a difference. You shouldn't. Make sure you have the latest version of the Glue.

In Andy's own words:
Ok woke up, fresh ears, lined up 3 mixes, set the 2 comps on the master, matched the settings, closed my eyes, asked my girlfriend to toggle between the comps, and I could spot the superior sounding compressor easily for all the 3 songs.

Guys whether you believe me or not, doesn't matter, I do not have the knowledge to explain why they sound different as I don't know how to build plugins, but there is a difference.

I would just pay big money to have a vst compressor sounding like the ableton one.
Deleted e1b9f94
Quote:
Ok woke up, fresh ears, lined up 3 mixes, set the 2 comps on the master, matched the settings, closed my eyes, asked my girlfriend to toggle between the comps, and I could spot the superior sounding compressor easily for all the 3 songs.

Guys whether you believe me or not, doesn't matter, I do not have the knowledge to explain why they sound different as I don't know how to build plugins, but there is a difference.

I would just pay big money to have a vst compressor sounding like the ableton one.
It is quite simple my friend. You did not matched them correctly. That's the only reason why they sound different. For example "range" knob is same but is working different in Ableton.

Why don't you listen other people advice. Post example, or screenshot or at least presets of both units and someone will help you. People can't help you if you just say you hear something and you don't want to provide examples.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I believe you can hear a difference! Both The Glue and the Glue Compressor device in Live use an identical core algorithm and code, so if they have the same settings they will null with each other (apart from around -120 dB of thermal hiss), so it's most likely you don't have the knobs set to the same values.

As suggested by mpod (well picked up there!) I recommend first of all checking the Range knob is set to the same value, the Live version goes up to 70 dB when set to the maximum clockwise value, but The Glue goes up to -79 dB then clicks into "Full" mode when at the maximum clockwise position. Try setting the Range knob in the plugin version to exactly the same numeric value (except negative) you have it set in the Live version and you will most likely get the same result. You can enter exact values in The Glue by double clicking on the knob and typing in "-70", and by clicking on the Live number field and then typing. I actually like the values being positive like in the Live one, so I'll change that in an update.

If that doesn't fix things then the only remaining possibilities for slight tonal variations are the sidechain filters (The Glue has a 1 pole filter and the Live device a 2 pole or more filter), or use of oversampling, but I am guessing it's the Range knob.

If you like the Range knob defaulted to 70 dB (-70 dB)you can save a preset called "Default" in the root of the preset folder and every new instance of The Glue will load with that preset.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I believe you can hear a difference! Both The Glue and the Glue Compressor device in Live use an identical core algorithm and code, so if they have the same settings they will null with each other (apart from around -120 dB of thermal hiss), so it's most likely you don't have the knobs set to the same values.

As suggested by mpod (well picked up there!) I recommend first of all checking the Range knob is set to the same value, the Live version goes up to 70 dB when set to the maximum clockwise value, but The Glue goes up to -79 dB then clicks into "Full" mode when at the maximum clockwise position. Try setting the Range knob in the plugin version to exactly the same numeric value (except negative) you have it set in the Live version and you will most likely get the same result. You can enter exact values in The Glue by double clicking on the knob and typing in "-70", and by clicking on the Live number field and then typing. I actually like the values being positive like in the Live one, so I'll change that in an update.

If that doesn't fix things then the only remaining possibilities for slight tonal variations are the sidechain filters (The Glue has a 1 pole filter and the Live device a 2 pole or more filter), or use of oversampling, but I am guessing it's the Range knob.

If you like the Range knob defaulted to 70 dB (-70 dB)you can save a preset called "Default" in the root of the preset folder and every new instance of The Glue will load with that preset.
Hello Andy thank you for taking the time to reply, and as I said in the previous posts, I also matched the Range knob

And the way you have put it is almost exact. Slight tonal change, I would also say change in width, open-ness and character too, subtle but enough to make a record shine and sound expensive, in a unique way which I didn't hear in any plugin yet, not even the super expensive ones. (You know I would love to shut up and keep it as a little secret weapon, but the problem is I wanna change sequencer and still I would like to keep the sound of the Ableton Glue, so I had to spill the beans lol)

I didn't use the high pass filter by the way.

Would you mind making a vst with the exact same (I don't know what) as you have for Ableton please ? My money is ready lol ... and please call it Glue-A :P lol

Damn now everybody will have that sound lol
Old 25th June 2013
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This is really not making sense. If you can't share a clip of what you're working on then just use a clip of something (anything) else to demonstrate this difference. Clips or it didn't happen!
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

If you live close to an electrical plant the metallic knobs of The Glue could receive some vibe from it influencing the sound. So, wrap your computer with some aluminum foil. It worked for me.
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Doesn't LIVE have some sort of "always on" elastic time/varispeed/warp thing going on where it is always altering the audio ever so slightly? There is a thread or two here on GS where users of LIVE have said that their mixes sound better when exported and summed in other DAWs (Pro Tools, Logic, etc) because of this. Don't know if its true or not but I could explain the slight differences when using THE GLUE in another host? Not a LIVE user myself but it was a thought!?!
Deleted e1b9f94
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➑️
Doesn't LIVE have some sort of "always on" elastic time/varispeed/warp thing going on where it is always altering the audio ever so slightly? There is a thread or two here on GS where users of LIVE have said that their mixes sound better when exported and summed in other DAWs (Pro Tools, Logic, etc) because of this. Don't know if its true or not but I could explain the slight differences when using THE GLUE in another host? Not a LIVE user myself but it was a thought!?!
No it's not true and whoever said this completely got it wrong. Warp can be enabled or disabled it's only used for warping (surprise there isn't it) audio files. If you disable it, sound is same as in every other host. Not much to do here believe me, complete scientific null. But hey if you don't believe me try it for yourself.

And i don't believe it's the case here. Like dev said it could be sidechain (if sidechain is used) but if it isn't used then it's just parameters there..I do know since i was in same position until i explored every nuance by myself and now they are the same sounding comps. Really they are nulling each other completely like dev is claiming.

Luckily for me i never used sidechain in my life so i am covered there with different filters in sidechain hehe..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No issues working in Studio One 64bit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well 'technically' the Glue does not null with itself...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz ➑️
No issues working in Studio One 64bit.
And no issues working in SAWStudio (32-bit) or Sound Forge.
πŸ“ Reply