Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 70 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 4th February 2013
  #2071
Lives for gear
 
Keith Moore's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Yes there will be a free update for all customers to the AAX Native version. I'm finishing the last few models in The Drop then I'll release an AAX version of both The Glue and The Drop.
Any plans on an AAX-DSP port at some point?
Old 4th February 2013
  #2072
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Yes there will be a free update for all customers to the AAX Native version. I'm finishing the last few models in The Drop then I'll release an AAX version of both The Glue and The Drop.
Great!
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
  #2073
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderC ➑️
How's that variable link version of the Glue coming Andy?
I've coded the algorithm for the variable stereo to mono link some time ago now, so I'm looking forward to releasing it! I'll be able to do so after the final algorithms for The Drop are done and the AAX versions are released. The update will include not only variable stereo link but also an updated wider GUI to support hosts that don't handle narrow plugins very well (eg DP and Logic)
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
  #2074
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Can't wait.
Old 6th February 2013
  #2075
Lives for gear
 
DanGo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Will that variable link version be RTAS? (Hope so...). This plugin is pretty much the only compressor I'll use as a plugin. Variable link would just be amazing on top of all its other features...
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
  #2076
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGo ➑️
Will that variable link version be RTAS? (Hope so...). This plugin is pretty much the only compressor I'll use as a plugin. Variable link would just be amazing on top of all its other features...
I will continue RTAS support with new releases for as long as possible. I've already done the hard work in getting them done so there isn't a problem continuing support if newer compilers still work with the old RTAS development kit. As a small company I can't afford to have multiple different builds for legacy systems, and as such I've already had to drop support for PPC, and RTAS will most likely go this way as well since it is only 32-bit, but I'm guessing there are a couple of years to go before then.
Old 7th February 2013
  #2077
Lives for gear
 
DanGo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks, Andy. This is one solid product and I'm glad to support it (and glad you have your customers' backs, too).
Old 8th February 2013
  #2078
Lives for gear
 
Greg Wells's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The Glue is completely badass
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
  #2079
Lives for gear
 
Hardtoe's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells ➑️
The Glue is completely badass
Says the man with many other options
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
  #2080
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
After 2 days trial,THE GLUE was a no brainer,and although I'v'e never used the hardware[It may have happened once,when doing demos in a VERY big deal studio in Sydney town?,a bloody long time ago],plus I'm still a relative new person to digital[F%% the word noob].

Okay,so the Waves SSL trial didn't entice me to blow down $650,and the PC4K Buss comp.,in Sonar is actually pretty good[yes it is!]The Glue is finally in my ludicrous,but hassle free,list of 677 vst effects,and it's too cool!
Thanks
RK
Old 30th March 2013 | Show parent
  #2081
Lives for gear
 
stinkyfingers's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
i noticed something peculiar about the Glue and i was curious if this was 'normal' or a bug or something.
i was playing around with the calibration signal from RMAA, which is basically a tone that alternates from L to R in 'pulses' of about 200/250 ms in duration (didn't measure, just a guess).
anyway, the Glue does not treat both sides equally. one side will have up to 1 dB (+/-) more gain reduction (depends on settings) than the other.
i attached a pic of my test, the tone used, and my file processed with the Glue (in Reaper) if anyone wanted to check this out to confirm it...
is this normal behavior ?

edit: i try the same type of test but with a floor tom sample alternating L > R and this does not happen, i get equal gain reduction for both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-calibration_signal.jpg  
Attached Files

Calibration signal.wav (1.53 MB, 378 views)

Glue_calibration_signal_6dB_GR.wav (1.51 MB, 568 views)

Old 30th March 2013
  #2082
TNM
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey just wanted to add a feature request for a fade button in next update.. I am sure it's been asked before but don't want to read 70 pages.. i know i love the glue and use it anyway, and always will. Any chance of this though? I know i might be weird but i prefer it to automating a master volume fade out.
Old 31st March 2013 | Show parent
  #2083
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➑️
i noticed something peculiar about the Glue and i was curious if this was 'normal' or a bug or something.
i was playing around with the calibration signal from RMAA, which is basically a tone that alternates from L to R in 'pulses' of about 200/250 ms in duration (didn't measure, just a guess).
anyway, the Glue does not treat both sides equally. one side will have up to 1 dB (+/-) more gain reduction (depends on settings) than the other.
i attached a pic of my test, the tone used, and my file processed with the Glue (in Reaper) if anyone wanted to check this out to confirm it...
is this normal behavior ?

edit: i try the same type of test but with a floor tom sample alternating L > R and this does not happen, i get equal gain reduction for both sides.
The test tone you are using is asymmetrical so the metering will also be asymmetrical since The Glue is a linked compressor, the metering bears this out.

The test signal is around 0.18 seconds long, first in the left channel, then in the right for 0.18 seconds without a gap, then there is a gap of around 0.09 seconds. The Glue is linked so after the silence both channels with release, together, but when the left channel hits it will be a little louder than when the sustain section was because of the gap of silence, but it will soon be compressed to the constant sustain level. When the signal swaps back to the right channel it is already at the constant sustain level so nothing much will happen. The result is the peak and rms will be slightly higher for the left channel, which is exactly what you have shown, so the compressor is working perfectly.

I suggest you retry things with a test signal without a gap between the left and right bursts, or with the same length of gap between the left and right bursts, either of these will give you what you expected to happen, identical readings in the meter for the left and right channels.

But, on top of all this is another point, the RMMA test tool is designed for testing the linearity and crosstalk of converters. A compressor is deliberately non-linear and The Glue links the left and right signals, ie exactly the oposite of what the RMMA test tool is trying to measure as "good"!
Old 31st March 2013 | Show parent
  #2084
Lives for gear
 
stinkyfingers's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
ok, thanks for the explanation, that makes sense...
Old 31st March 2013 | Show parent
  #2085
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➑️
i noticed something peculiar about the Glue and i was curious if this was 'normal' or a bug or something.
i was playing around with the calibration signal from RMAA, which is basically a tone that alternates from L to R in 'pulses' of about 200/250 ms in duration (didn't measure, just a guess).
anyway, the Glue does not treat both sides equally. one side will have up to 1 dB (+/-) more gain reduction (depends on settings) than the other.
i attached a pic of my test, the tone used, and my file processed with the Glue (in Reaper) if anyone wanted to check this out to confirm it...
is this normal behavior ?

edit: i try the same type of test but with a floor tom sample alternating L > R and this does not happen, i get equal gain reduction for both sides.
i ran your calibration signal through the glue with the default settings and i am only getting a .2 peak variance between the left and the right. i used bluecat dp meter pro, TT Dynamic Range Meter, Free G.
Old 9th April 2013
  #2086
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
I'm getting CPU spikes while using the glue. It's a great plug but I can't afford to use it much as more than one instance renders my project unstable. It seems to be worse when paired with UAD2 plugs in an insert. Getting rid of oversampling fixes the issue however Any new updates? I'm running Presonus Studio One on a PC.
Old 10th April 2013 | Show parent
  #2087
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe ➑️
I'm getting CPU spikes while using the glue. It's a great plug but I can't afford to use it much as more than one instance renders my project unstable. It seems to be worse when paired with UAD2 plugs in an insert. Getting rid of oversampling fixes the issue however Any new updates? I'm running Presonus Studio One on a PC.
I have made some slightly improvements to the oversampling to make it more efficient, but by its very nature and the algorithms used in The Glue there will be times that more cpu is used than others, typically where there is a lot of high frequency content as this is harder to solve for properly. What exactly does "renders my project unstable" mean?

Also the UAD2 slams your PCI bus pretty hard which can also cause spikes. Each and every single UAD2 plugin has to copy all the audio out of the cache, down over the PCI bus, into the memory of the shark chips, have dsp done, get copied back over the PCI bus into main system memory again. This introduces one buffer of latency and a double copying of the entire audio buffer through un-cached memory which is slow. For a stereo channel this is the equivalent of running a 32-bit float stereo input and output soundcard per plugin. So if you have say 2 UAD2 plugins per track with a 32 track project you are in effect recording and playing back 64-channels of 32-bit audio all the time.

There is another complexity, if you are running UAD2 plugins they will add latency, The Glue running with oversampling will add latency, so you will have lots of plugin delay compensation going on in Studio One, could part of the problem be there? I've checked the Studio One forum and can see people having trouble with lots of third party plugins, including UAD2 ones, causing cpu spikes: UAD 2 64 Bit Plugins are not working within Studio One 2.5 64 Bit!

On top of that there are conflicting reports from Studio One users about how stable the host is with handling different plugin formats on Mac. One user has reported that the Studio One people recommended only using the VST version on Mac, and another has reported he has found too many problems with VST support and only uses AU.

I'm currently looking into the mess that is going on here but can't find much, it seems the problem only manifests with very large projects running a large number of third party plugins, which is your basic nightmare to debug as the combinations are exponentially huge to check.

Can you please send an email to me (support) so we can continue to try and fix the problem? Contact | Cytomic
Old 10th April 2013 | Show parent
  #2088
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
In addition I am currently working to update to using the most recent "Juce" framework and will release a new version of The Glue and The Drop in the next few weeks, this may help, but since I don't know what the problem is with Studio One I can't really say for sure.
Old 10th April 2013 | Show parent
  #2089
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Obviously these things are frequently system and situation-dependent, but I must say that I frequently use The Glue with 2X oversampling in conjunction with lots of UAD-2 plugins and have never experienced spikes. I run it in SAWStudio on a Core i7 PC with an RME HDSP card. Also often use it in Logic on the master bus with no spikes (on a Mac Pro), though I use Logic primarily for VI work and don't do heavy mixing there.
Old 23rd April 2013
  #2090
Here for the gear
 
bluehouserec's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Thumbs up The Glue

We used The Glue plugin while mastering this EP (sample below). Kept the attack and release settings relatively low, getting no more than 2db in gain reduction. We really like "The Glue 2" preset for some of the slower tempo stuff. Real solid plugin, great functionality.

Old 24th April 2013
  #2091
nms
Lives for gear
 
nms's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey Andy can you comment on plugin performance differences depending on if your VST folder is on a fast SSD vs HDD? I've always assumed this would allow for loading projects or an instance of a plugin faster.. but would there be other benefits as well? I have 16GB of quad channel ram (3930k machine) so I've contemplated setting up a RAM disk and putting my VST folder on there which would be exponentially faster. I've been skeptical if there's much point in this though. Any advice?

I too have had a longstanding issue with the big CPU spikes that take place when I hit play in my DAW. The same happens when it hits the reloop point if I'm looping a section in my arrangement. It only gets in the way occasionally, but If there's anything I can do to help this without raising my buffer (I like to keep to 128k) I'd be interested to know. Thanks
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
  #2092
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
Hey Andy can you comment on plugin performance differences depending on if your VST folder is on a fast SSD vs HDD? I've always assumed this would allow for loading projects or an instance of a plugin faster.. but would there be other benefits as well? I have 16GB of quad channel ram (3930k machine) so I've contemplated setting up a RAM disk and putting my VST folder on there which would be exponentially faster. I've been skeptical if there's much point in this though. Any advice?
You should run your DAW and plugins in 64-bit mode. This doubles the number of SSE2 registers that can be used by applications, so speeds up plugins even if they don't use large amounts of memory. Switching to an SSD drive will make load times of new projects quicker, but nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
I too have had a longstanding issue with the big CPU spikes that take place when I hit play in my DAW. The same happens when it hits the reloop point if I'm looping a section in my arrangement. It only gets in the way occasionally, but If there's anything I can do to help this without raising my buffer (I like to keep to 128k) I'd be interested to know. Thanks
Glitches when pressing play will largely be down to how the host handles things. Before the first "process" is called there is an "initialize" which is the first time plugins are told of the buffer sizes and sample rates etc of the host, the first time this is called with new values computation and memory allocation usually happen. The host should really pre-initialize all the plugins at project load time, so play should only start calling "process". There can be a possible small increase in cpu usage as plugins start accessing variables, if they are not in the cache they have to be fetched from main memory which is slower, but after the first time you hit play you should have a pretty steady cpu use, likewise with looping. If this is not the case then I suggest you contact the developer of your DAW and ask them why you are getting spikes like this on pressing play or on loop, from the plugins point of view there is no extra load in either situation.
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
  #2093
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
In addition I am currently working to update to using the most recent "Juce" framework and will release a new version of The Glue and The Drop in the next few weeks
I only recently bought The Glue,what will be the deal for folks such as myself,with getting the NEW version,when it arrives?

Thanks
RK
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
  #2094
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit ➑️
I only recently bought The Glue,what will be the deal for folks such as myself,with getting the NEW version,when it arrives?

Thanks
RK
I'll let people know here it is ready and you'll be able to download it from your account. I also sometimes email out newsletters to let people know there is an update.
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
  #2095
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I'll let people know here it is ready and you'll be able to download it from your account. I also sometimes email out newsletters to let people know there is an update.
Cool,I can't wait,The Glue has helped teach me,what is decent transparent compression[as well as colored]where other plugin comps have only taught me is confusion[as some are not in the same league at all!]we'll be waiting,counting the days,so to speak.
Cheers
RK
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
  #2096
nms
Lives for gear
 
nms's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
You should run your DAW and plugins in 64-bit mode. This doubles the number of SSE2 registers that can be used by applications, so speeds up plugins even if they don't use large amounts of memory. Switching to an SSD drive will make load times of new projects quicker, but nothing else.
I have an SSD for my OS and one for my samples & current projects. I wasn't sure if the buffering was impacted there though or if further progress could be made using RAM disks. I'm holding off a while before switching to 64bit. Going to wait til all the plugins I use (or at least my primaries) are 64bit as I don't want to do use J-Bridge regularly. I use a lot of outboard rather than heavy kontakt/omnisphere etc anyways.

On a separate note Andy, what do you think about adding a 50ms release time option to the Glue? There are a lot of times I wish we had that!
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
  #2097
Lives for gear
 
eightyeightkeys's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
......
.....
On a separate note Andy, what do you think about adding a 50ms release time option to the Glue? There are a lot of times I wish we had that!
I'm often timing attack and release times to the tempo of the track so an option to be able to dial-in any attack or release time can be helpful for sure. Especially if you're going for an over-the-top effect with the compressor clamping down and releasing to tempo. I rarely do this but it's nice to have the option.
Old 3rd May 2013 | Show parent
  #2098
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I'll let people know here it is ready and you'll be able to download it from your account. I also sometimes email out newsletters to let people know there is an update.
Nice! Is it near release?
Old 3rd May 2013 | Show parent
  #2099
Deleted 0ec6b8e
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys ➑️
I'm often timing attack and release times to the tempo of the track so an option to be able to dial-in any attack or release time can be helpful for sure. Especially if you're going for an over-the-top effect with the compressor clamping down and releasing to tempo. I rarely do this but it's nice to have the option.

A 'sync' button would be cool (with a beat divisions control - 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc).
Old 30th May 2013
  #2100
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Does anyone have a screenshot of how the presets list is supposed to look? Other than load (finder window) or left right arrows (next/previous), I don't see any thing that brings up a list of presets like other plugs has. Am I missing something?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615433
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 98 views: 39199
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 295 views: 74346
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 181834
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump