Well for the ones following my post, here it is:

A: Glue
B: Stock compressor in Logic 8
Old 15th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
yo yo yo

morning from Andy's homeland..

okay .. the results of the blind test/comparison I did a few pages ago whereby I tried to match the Glue to an SSL Stereo Buss comp (the real deal from the Mynx/X-rack module, not a Duende or a clone) are as follows:

A = The Glue
B = SSL Xrack Stereo Buss comp.

I sometimes can't pick which I like the most.

The SSL has slightly (and boy do i mean slightly) thicker low end when I use it and in general some of the upper and mid frequencies sing a little more to my ears. An ever slightly more open sound.

But the glue has this punch which i like a lot.

Bottom line.. either way The Glue totally rips **** on Waves SSL (goodbye waves) and the convenience of having recall, multiple instances etc in addition to the $4000 Australian Dollar price difference with the SSL buss compressor make it a no brainer.

Congrats Andy, u got a helluva plugin there mate.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjesus ➑️
yo yo yo

okay ..

A = The Glue
B = SSL

The SSL has slightly (and boy do i mean slightly) thicker low end when I use it and in general some of the upper and mid frequencies sing a little more to my ears. An ever slightly more open sound.

Bottom line.. either way The Glue totally rips **** on Waves SSL (goodbye waves) and the convenience of having recall, multiple instances etc in addition to the $4000 Australian Dollar price difference with the SSL buss compressor make it a no brainer.

Yes from your example it smacks harder. I already have the Logic compressor.

I am def buying the Glue comp, it's great.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yo yo yo

Gdaymaythowyagoing?

Quote:

okay ..

A = The Glue
B = SSL

Thanks for doing the comparison, and thanks to everyone giving their comments.

Could I please ask of a favour? If you haven't already indicated which of the two A/B comparisons you were commenting on could you please edit your post? Thanks to those that have already done this.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Installing the .dll in my vstplugins folder breaks Cubase SX3. As in, Cubase won't open. When I remove the plug, Cubase starts just fine.

This is on XP
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Can anyone do an A/B of Glue v. SSL Duende Buss Compressor? Thanks.

BTW, though I liked Glue in the previous A/B, the hardware was noticeably preferable to me. I wish it weren't so :(
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here are Mix buss snippetts with the Duende Buss compressor and The Glue
with the same settings.Sadly Mp3s but it goves an idea I suppose.

the files are names with the compressors as the Glue demo has noise so it would be obvious
Attached Files

Duende Buss Compressor Mix.mp3 (2.51 MB, 1533 views)

The Glue Compressor Mix.mp3 (2.51 MB, 1570 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great work Andy , this is the best 2 bus comp plug-in i've tried , i will definately be picking it up ! The punch is fantastic, very similar to the way i remember the real SSL sounding ..... the Glue really suites it's function , cann't wait to try it on the drum bus as well
Lives for gear

Andy,

The demo download links aren't working any more...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibear ➑️
Can anyone do an A/B of Glue v. SSL Duende Buss Compressor? Thanks.

BTW, though I liked Glue in the previous A/B, the hardware was noticeably preferable to me. I wish it weren't so :(
Still worth checking out the plugin, given that Glue is very flexible imo, though I certainly think the comparison shows what kind of league this plugin in playing in.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➑️
Andy,

The demo download links aren't working any more...
Working here . New links on page 6 .

Link to the post :
https://gearspace.com/board/3997511-post158.html
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom ➑️

the files are names with the compressors as the Glue demo has noise so it would be obvious
Thanks for posting that, I was very curious. Just through headphones, I don't think the Duende Compressor is the clear winner. The Glue sounds a little more hi fi, and the Duende sounds a smidge louder in this sample. I'll also say that from demoing the glue (through headphones, not home on my monitors for another week) it really reminds me of my GSSL, which is what Andy modeled it after. I thought my GSSL dealt with low end differently than SSL Bus compressors I'd heard in the past, and thats kind of what I'm hearing here too.

Either way, this is the first time that the release of a plug compressor sparked some semblance of emotion from me. If I were to suggest what plug Andy should do next, I would say a compressor followed by a compressor, then maybe another compressor, after that then possibly a compressor.

Only thing I REALLY miss in this plug is an unlink function. I hate the SSL shrink on the 2 bus, keeps me from putting it on there. That would really help.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

thanks. very informative

i'll disagree with Thermos and say that the Duende is the clear winner. listen on your monitors !

duende is clearer, more detailed, it has more "sparkle, while the Glue sounds a bit muddy, or "colored" compared to it.

the Glue remains an excellent plugin, way ahead of the competition.

is it possible that you post another comparison of the Duende vs the Glue, on some more "dynamic" material, and abusing the plugins a bit more ?

thanks
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Make sure to level match them. The duende sample is like a db louder.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
indeed
i matched them and found the same results, just a bit less obvious.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
on all samples i've heard here and on kvr the glue sounds better than to whatever it's compared. very nice work andy!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just tried it and it's AT LEAST as good as the the Waves SSL G-Master Buss Compressor

Great work
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Um, both good. I don't hear the noise on the Glue track. Am I daft? What am I listening for? Or could there be a mix up and they're both SSL?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer ➑️
thanks. very informative

i'll disagree with Thermos and say that the Duende is the clear winner. listen on your monitors !

duende is clearer, more detailed, it has more "sparkle, while the Glue sounds a bit muddy, or "colored" compared to it.

the Glue remains an excellent plugin, way ahead of the competition.

is it possible that you post another comparison of the Duende vs the Glue, on some more "dynamic" material, and abusing the plugins a bit more ?

thanks
Im with you on this one the Glue is muddy and less sparkle
For me the Glue made the track less defined and took away the sparkle away from the track.
The Glue has more real low bass but I like the way the SSl Duende Buss compressor tightens everything up.
Also the glue actually made the vocal dull and I really do not like what is happening on the snare.
I would also say that the Duende Buss compressor is a bit wider sounding
I can see the glue working very well on a lot of sources and in native land its a sure winner.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica ➑️
Installing the .dll in my vstplugins folder breaks Cubase SX3. As in, Cubase won't open. When I remove the plug, Cubase starts just fine.

This is on XP
Thanks for the bug report, I'll look into it.

Andrew Simper
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
Thanks for posting that, I was very curious. Just through headphones, I don't think the Duende Compressor is the clear winner. The Glue sounds a little more hi fi, and the Duende sounds a smidge louder in this sample. I'll also say that from demoing the glue (through headphones, not home on my monitors for another week) it really reminds me of my GSSL, which is what Andy modeled it after. I thought my GSSL dealt with low end differently than SSL Bus compressors I'd heard in the past, and thats kind of what I'm hearing here too.

Either way, this is the first time that the release of a plug compressor sparked some semblance of emotion from me. If I were to suggest what plug Andy should do next, I would say a compressor followed by a compressor, then maybe another compressor, after that then possibly a compressor.

Only thing I REALLY miss in this plug is an unlink function. I hate the SSL shrink on the 2 bus, keeps me from putting it on there. That would really help.
YES YES YES. An unlink would make me buy. My Waves SSL shrinks bad. I end up using the API for its unlink.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 on the unlink.

Cheers.

Old 16th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Thanks for the bug report, I'll look into it.

Andrew Simper
hey andy

just paid ya via paypal, hopefully you're not too busy today *hint* *hint*, but whenever u can is cool.

peace
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Is anyone in a position to do a comparison with the UAD Precision Buss Comp (aka UA's SSL emulation)? I let my demo of the UAD plugin expire oz it never really did it for me, but I'd be keen to hear some comparisons to The Glue just for interest's sake
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Latest Trial versions of The Glue beta are below. No noise this time.

The Glue Trial Beta limitations of the are:
* Timeout after 14 days
* No load, no paste, no parameter automation

http://cytomic.com/downloads/Cytomic_TheGlueTrial_ v1.0.7_Mac_Au.zip
http://cytomic.com/downloads/Cytomic_TheGlueTrial_ v1.0.7_Mac_Vst.zip
http://cytomic.com/downloads/Cytomic_TheGlueTrial_ v1.0.7_Win_Vst.zip

If you have tested the beta and you are happy enough to part your hard earned cash for it then you can get your build by sending $99 usd via paypal to sales atsign cytomic dotsign com and please indicate your preferred display name, for example "Registered to Andrew Simper", and your preferred email address for to receive your download link. I am manually processing orders so it could take up to 24 hours to receive your download.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica ➑️

This is on XP
Here it works just fine! Same setup (Cubase SX 3.1 on XP)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Is it me or dosent the Duende sounds a little more thicker and "glued"?

Redroom, what do you think about it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik ➑️
Is it me or dosent the Duende sounds a little more thicker and "glued"?

Redroom, what do you think about it?

For me the Duende Buss compressor tightens up the low end really nicely and keeps the width intakt and the top end and has a lovely forward midrange.On the files Ive posted listen to the difference in the vocal and snare and highs bewteen the 2.The Glue is a great product but Im prefering the Duende on almost everything Ive tested it on.
I see a place for the Glue when I need something that smears a bit more and is rougher round the edges.Being the slut I am Im sure I will end up getting it later
and ti will find its place where it excels or when the Duende slots are full.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I quite like the sound of The Glue - Andy has done a great job, but for me the Duende is the sound I prefer... Duende just sounds 'right' somehow.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:

There is a noise free Trail version of The Glue now, if you have the time I would really appreciate you would you care to re-do the demos. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you match the settings?

Actually better yet I have access to a duende, so I'll do two examples and post them here for people to pick which one they like best in a blind test.

Andrew Simper
πŸ“ Reply