Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 69 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 24th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My attack never goes below 12 o'clock. Fast enough for vocal taming and keeps all the transients sharp.
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
News update: The Glue v1.2.1 is released, which fixes the bug in the preset menu "Load..." function and mouse over display of knob values:

The Glue v1.2.1
  • New: Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) officially supported
  • New: ProTools 10 officially supported for RTAS plugins (AAX still to come)
  • New: latency for oversampling has fixed length for better support of various hosts
  • New: now uses operating system standard dialog boxes for better accessibility
  • Fixed: all keystrokes now passed through to all hosts in AU version
  • Fixed: RTAS not loading on Windows 7 machines
  • Fixed: Bug that prevented preset “Load...” from working
  • Fixed: mouse over values for knobs now display correctly
Hi I want to upgrade to 1.21 I dl'd the update file.
I'm not sure of the procedure.
Do I just trash the old component and just replace with the new one in the components folder?
Is there another way or anything else I need to do?
Thanks
Old 26th March 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just replace the old with the new and you're good to go.
Old 5th April 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I like it!*Just tried it, and yeah, I like. It's really subtle, but has worked wonders on a drum aux. Not tried it on anything else yet, but it's certainly done itself proud so far. I will definitely be getting this. Thanks.
Old 5th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm late to the party, but finally picked up this plug-in. Glad I did, it is one of the finest software compressors I have ever used. Very good sound, and the "range" feature is absolutely fantastic! Very easy to dial in "just right" compression on this product. I am already using this on mixes, it's certainly not the only compressor plug-in I will use, but it will get a lot of use. Thanks!
Old 14th April 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Absolutely love this product, this is def going as one of my 'Go tos' for compression. Good use for busses.
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
is VERY good and i have only used it briefly..... hopefully it will get even better as i get use t it
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thread is kinda too long, but I'll add to it anyway... I just finished mixing volume 2 of a sound design/music project for film trailers. For volume 1, I used an Dangerous Music D-Box to sum, followed by an API 2500. This time I had a blender custom made so I could do parallel compression. Even with the Blender, I felt the API was darker and didn't give the lows as much body as the Cytomic The Glue...

I used both on light settings, just barely touching peaks.

I ended up using The Glue on everything, much to my surprise, since I thought I'd decided hardware sounded better to me on the master buss...
Old 7th August 2012 | Show parent
Deleted 1846071
Been demoing this, I like it. It's transparent - like saran wrap squeezed around the signal. It gives my sound a facelift, with a touch of hype.
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz ➡️
It's transparent - like saran wrap squeezed around the signal. It gives my sound a facelift, with a touch of hype.
Not how I would describe "transparent" but as long as you're enjoying it.
Old 28th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
From https://www.ableton.com/en/live/new-in-9/

Live’s new Glue Compressor, developed in collaboration with Cytomic, is modeled on a classic 80s console bus compressor, both for its great sound and also to provide musical results with a simple set of controls. Live’s studio effects - Compressor, Gate and EQ Eight - have been improved with new displays, enhanced controls and better sound, making it easier to see and hear your changes.

Better sound but not in the VST edition??
Old 28th October 2012 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnest ➡️
From https://www.ableton.com/en/live/new-in-9/

Live’s new Glue Compressor, developed in collaboration with Cytomic, is modeled on a classic 80s console bus compressor, both for its great sound and also to provide musical results with a simple set of controls. Live’s studio effects - Compressor, Gate and EQ Eight - have been improved with new displays, enhanced controls and better sound, making it easier to see and hear your changes.

Better sound but not in the VST edition??
There is no VST edition of Ableton's built in "Compressor", "Gate", and "EQ Eight devices".

The "Glue Compressor" device is identical to the plugin version of The Glue and will null perfectly with it. I also developed the new algorithm for EQ Eight for them, which is a circuit model of an ideal linear SVF. Cytomic was not involved in the development of Live's "Compressor" or "Gate" devices.
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What of DCAM bus compressor it sounds a lot like the Glue.
Old 29th October 2012 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
What of DCAM bus compressor it sounds a lot like the Glue.
I coded algorithms for the "Bus Comp" for FXpansion, which initially appeared in BFD2.

The DCAM Bus Comp was my first attempt at analog modelling. When I started Cytomic I went back to the drawing board with all the new things I'd learnt and coded The Glue from scratch with new and improved algorithms.
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I coded algorithms for the "Bus Comp" for FXpansion, which initially appeared in BFD2.

The DCAM Bus Comp was my first attempt at analog modelling. When I started Cytomic I went back to the drawing board with all the new things I'd learnt and coded The Glue from scratch with new and improved algorithms.
That explains why I like the buss comp on BFD2. You did a great job on it.
Old 29th October 2012 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
That explains why I like the buss comp on BFD2. You did a great job on it.
Thanks!

I want to point out as well that Antti Huovilainen did the initial work on the Bus Comp model, and I finished it off and matched it in sound to the analog compressor. Without Antti's help I wouldn't be where I am today, he really got me started on proper analog modelling, thanks Antti!
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Andy, is there any "drop" influence in the new EQ8 filters?
Old 30th October 2012 | Show parent
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenears ➡️
Quote:
The algorithms in EQ8 come from the same circuit analysis methods I use in The Drop (modified nodal circuit analysis as used in SPICE / QUCS / MultiSim / other circuit simulation packages), but since EQ 8 is completely linear they can be solved in much more CPU efficient ways. For EQ 8 the voltages and currents in a "perfect" SVF are modelled, and since everything is linear and perfect simplifications can be made to make it run very efficiently. There is no drive or tone other than just clean boost and gain of frequencies. The solution can be arrived with a single evaluation of the algorithm per sample from the input, which is called "explicit" in math land. They can be made explicit because everything is linear, but it still solves the equations in full.

In The Drop everything is very non-linear, which makes things much more complicated to solve and uses lots more CPU, but you get gorgeous drive and tone. All the equations have to be solved multiple times per sample and a solution is "converged on" which in math land is called "implicit". Due to many "pn-junctions" in circuits these equations are often called "stiff" (no pun intended, that's just what they're called!), which just means they are difficult to solve, but I feel solving these difficult things is at the core of what makes circuits sound good.
Old 30th October 2012 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenears ➡️
Thanks NMS for posting the above

The algorithm for EQ 8 actually came about as a side product from working on The Drop as well as doing preparation work for doing a full non-linear EQ. When I find something interesting to investigate I just let myself go with the flow and see where I end up. It's great fun being a mad scientist like this and it's good in the long run as well but isn't ideal when trying to get a product finished, The Drop was rather late.
Old 30th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Cheers guys.
Old 24th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I only just found this plugin but I demoed it recently and immediately bought it.
Amazing sound from it- so open.
Old 6th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just downloaded the demo and tried it on drums; brought a smile to my face.
Will be making a purchase soon.
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Most likely asked before - but I will ask here. Is The Glue in A9 different in any way from the plugin? If no - is there a CPU differene from the VST/AU from the built-in plug? I allready own The Glue and love it more than my unborn child.. and I use Renoise more than Ableton - so this is just pure curiousity.

Cheers from Norway,
Klaus
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes ➡️
Most likely asked before - but I will ask here. Is The Glue in A9 different in any way from the plugin? If no - is there a CPU differene from the VST/AU from the built-in plug? I allready own The Glue and love it more than my unborn child.. and I use Renoise more than Ableton - so this is just pure curiousity.

Cheers from Norway,
Klaus
Hi Klaus,

The Glue in Live 9 uses the identical DSP in the core algorithm as the plugin version. There are a few minor differences:

1) The Live 9 device stops processing on silence to save CPU, I'll be adding this to the full version in the near future, but currently The Glue will still use CPU
2) The Live 9 device only supports oversampling modes of "Off" and "x2", and this selection is fixed, you can't pick one for render and one for realtime like the regular plugin version. I am trying to encourage Ableton to support more in this regard in the future, but this will most likely take some time.
3) The sidechain filter on the plugin version is a very gentle -6 dB high pass, the Ableton version supports a full EQ8 single section, which is more powerful in some ways, but the catch is there is a minimum slope it -12 dB for the high pass. I deliberately made the plugin version very gentle since I prefer de-emphasising the lows rather than a harder cut. I will hopefully get Ableton to add -6 dB high pass and low pass to the sidechain filter as well as EQ8.

So in summary if you don't use the oversampling, or the sidechain high pass, and you always pass audio to the plugin then they are identical.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Will there be an aax-version?
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhannike ➡️
Will there be an aax-version?
Yes there will be a free update for all customers to the AAX Native version. I'm finishing the last few models in The Drop then I'll release an AAX version of both The Glue and The Drop.
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fantastic!
Old 3rd February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How's that variable link version of the Glue coming Andy?
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes there will be a free update for all customers to the AAX Native version. I'm finishing the last few models in The Drop then I'll release an AAX version of both The Glue and The Drop.
Excellent news. Absolutely love the glue. Gets used on every session since I bought it. Actually one of my favorites on vocals as well.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
same here andy, the Glue gets used on every project ... AAX version update ... nice ...
📝 Reply