Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 68 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 2nd February 2012
  #2011
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
How does this compare to UAD, Waves and Reason SSL compressors?
Old 2nd February 2012 | Show parent
  #2012
Lives for gear
 
grooveminister's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
@ miscend: It may be the best SLL Buss Comp - but UAD also hat the Neve 33609 and the Precision Buss Compressor which tend to use most on busses.
It´s a matter of taste and processed audio material.
But outside the UAD platform this might easily be the best bus comp overall - often used for single tracks too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin ➡️
I was checking out one of the waves webinars this week (can't remember which one) and in the screen shot amongst some waves plug-ins was "The Glue". Made me laugh!
Hehe, makes totally sense
- guess they know their SSL-Comp emulation is ****.
Old 4th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2013
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
How does this compare to UAD, Waves and Reason SSL compressors?

Its better. Also better than the Precision Buss Comp, which doesn't have the snap.
Old 4th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2014
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer ➡️
Its better. Also better than the Precision Buss Comp, which doesn't have the snap.
UAD Precision Buss Comp is super clean. If you need no color, just some compression this is the comp to go for. But usually i am more into coloring so i rather use the Glue. heh
Old 7th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2015
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkom ➡️
Thanks.
But in a Gearslutz way: is there ever gonna be a dual mono???

But anyway thank your for the update.

If I ever get around to doing version 2 of The Glue (which would be a free update) this is one of the features I will add!
Old 7th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2016
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
How does this compare to UAD, Waves and Reason SSL compressors?
I'll let other people answer your question in terms of how it sounds in a musical context, but here are some more object spectrum plots to highlight the difference on a boring sin wave input between The Glue, the Waves SSL GSeries comp, and the new Vertigo VSC-2, which are all modelling basically the same compressor.

The test setting is designed to show any problems in how the diode envelope follower circuit is modelled, it should have ultra smooth transitions between attack and release.

All the red parts of the spectrum are the bits you don't want, these are aliasing which are an artefact of digital processing and are not present in an analog compressor.
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-vertigo-vsc-2-spectrum.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-waves-ssl-gseries-spectrum.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-cytomic-glue-spectrum.jpg  
Old 10th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2017
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
I used this plug in multi mono (RTAS) mode last night...works great...late to the party, but seriously dude...nice work!
Old 11th February 2012
  #2018
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quick question. Wanting to pick this up cause I seen it was going to be offered in AAX native. If I buy now will I have to pay for the upgrade to AAX native or should I just wait till it was available?

Also I seen in the specs that windows rtas is not available yet. I'm guessing that info just hasn't been updated? Thought win rtas was already there.
Thanks
Old 15th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2019
Lives for gear
 
2Loud's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I must say, and feel no matter what, in use - in most of occassions
Glue wins over rest of the stuff I have, especially as master bus compressor.¨

/70 percent of occassions I mix into ssl type comp with very light settings / low ratio, 2-3 dB gain reduction - which is set up on master fader from the beginning of the project respectively after setting up the level dominating elements/ - not in the hunt of the "superclean invisible master bus comps", personally love this kind of SSL snap and action.

In most of the time it is the density, tightness and definition, together with a great glue effect giving Cytomic Glue advantage
over the others Im using for these tasks.

Now in comparison with other really great compressor based on similar VCA topology -
after 3 weeks of intensive use of Brainworx Vertigo I feel no matter how much I like this awesome plug in ,
Glue delivers more balanced and solid outcome on a master bus - in my view.

Vertigo can sound really sexy in some applications with its own color and slightly more intensive action,
but Glue sounds always somehow very real, deep and dimensional to me.
Again - in most of the cases, I think this is more important and desirable feature when compressing master bus.

One feels or may find appealing that Vertigo sounds really open, with slight amount of edge / bite, which I personnally consider as a part of its specific colour and character, but it is not as nice in terms of overall density and cohesion in direct comparison to Glue. .


Desired sexy coloured high end edge of Vertigo does not sound as natural sometimes - and as some already mentioned - after the "honeymoon phase" one starts to realize.

I like the way Glue treats the high end - very well defined, preserved and balanced - actually it is the winner to me over the Waves SSL, and Duende I used in years. Same goes to lowend and overall sound.

Id say Vertigo "snaps" bit more and in slightly different manner, where Glue action retains kind of a real and heavy punch on a big scale. I dare to say Vertigo also sounds little bit hi-fi, while Glue is generally big, dense sounding and dimensional.

What Im not sure of is stereo image - Id say, in most of the cases I feel Vertigo tries to mislead me, since it sounds very slightly "wider", so one gets feeling it keeps image overall in a great manner, however this may be just by my ears mislead by the fact that high end sheen of the Vertigo "amplifies" or zooms out the acoustic effect of the sound / ambience decays, which enhanced lead one´s ear and mind to this conclusion.

Love them both, but Glue is total keeper to me. Not to mention all useful features and "holy" and very friendly price for such piece of art.

That thing should not be even called plug in anymore. Its a Gods gift ! heh
How amazing.
Thank you very much !!
Old 15th February 2012
  #2020
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Just scooped this up. So far I've really liked it on vocals. Nice and punchy.
Old 15th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2021
Lives for gear
 
Hardtoe's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
I'll let other people answer your question in terms of how it sounds in a musical context, but here are some more object spectrum plots to highlight the difference on a boring sin wave input between The Glue, the Waves SSL GSeries comp, and the new Vertigo VSC-2, which are all modelling basically the same compressor.

The test setting is designed to show any problems in how the diode envelope follower circuit is modelled, it should have ultra smooth transitions between attack and release.

All the red parts of the spectrum are the bits you don't want, these are aliasing which are an artefact of digital processing and are not present in an analog compressor.

This kinda surprises me - I love the Glue and think it has an awesome sound, but for many of the latest mixes I have used the VSC-2 to great effect - it's to the point where I can hear that just having this comp on the 2buss helps me push my mixes to the next level.

This is on the "transient polisher" preset - ultra fast attk & rls with a "soft" compression ratio - throw this on so the heaviest part of the mix is doing 1-5db reduction, crank in a bit of makeup, and voila, a deadly track topper.

I like this setting so much, I never get into changing it beyond the threshold.

The sound I get from this is so fantastic I can't imagine all that harmonic hash in there.

I whip out the Glue when the song needs some real help with a wonky groove - it always manages to pull the band tighter without loosing the feel - just like the names says - it Glue's it!

Old 15th February 2012
  #2022
nms
Lives for gear
 
nms's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's now been 2 years since I used any other compressor on the master channel of one of my tracks.
Old 16th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2023
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz ➡️
Quick question. Wanting to pick this up cause I seen it was going to be offered in AAX native. If I buy now will I have to pay for the upgrade to AAX native or should I just wait till it was available?

Also I seen in the specs that windows rtas is not available yet. I'm guessing that info just hasn't been updated? Thought win rtas was already there.
Thanks
Ahh, thanks for spotting that! I have now updated the web page to add Windows RTAS as an available version in the "specifications" tab.

If you buy The Glue now you will get the AAX Native plugin for free once it is ready, which will most likely be in late Q3 / early Q4. The RTAS and AAX Native versions will sound identical and use exactly the same cpu, the only advantage in using the AAX Native version will be forward compatibility with ProTools when they drop RTAS and go 64-bit.
Old 16th February 2012
  #2024
Lives for gear
 
Jose's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I don't understand the mix knob very well.I guess it could be used for parallel compression, but how should it be when used as an insert 100%¿?
Old 16th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2025
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose ➡️
I don't understand the mix knob very well.I guess it could be used for parallel compression, but how should it be when used as an insert 100%¿?
Yes, use it at 100% in that case (it means "full compressed signal").
Old 17th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2026
Lives for gear
 
Jose's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➡️
Yes, use it at 100% in that case (it means "full compressed signal").
Thanks!!
Old 17th February 2012
  #2027
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose ➡️
I don't understand the mix knob very well.I guess it could be used for parallel compression, but how should it be when used as an insert 100%?
You can use the Mix Control for parallel compression when used as an insert.

You do not have to use 100% (Wet) when used as an insert.
Wet = only wet sound.
Dry = only dry sound
You can combine wet and dry (parallel compression) by using settings in between Wet and dry.

The Range Control is something a little different again:

From the manual:
Range (dB): 0 to Full (-oo)
The Range Knob is a very useful addition to the original design, it allows you to limit the depth of compression and maintain a more natural sound. Since transients typically have the highest peaks in audio the Range Knob has a large effect on their sound, but also limits the total compression depth possible.
After analysing the SSL 4000* circuit it was found that various control voltages were limited at a fixed amount. The Range Knob provides a way to vary this limiting action which is such a key aspect in why the analog compression circuit sounds so good.
Any setting can be made more subtle with the Range Knob. It allows you to still grab the sound early but then off to not over-compress. This makes a great alternative to parallel compression with the Mix Knob.
As a guide use values from -60 dB to -80 dB to emulate the original characteristics of the compressor, and values of around -15 dB to -40 dB as an alternative to using the Mix knob.


There are no rules.
Experiment.
Old 17th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2028
Lives for gear
 
Jose's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
You can use the Mix Control for parallel compression when used as an insert.

You do not have to use 100% (Wet) when used as an insert.
Wet = only wet sound.
Dry = only dry sound
You can combine wet and dry (parallel compression) by using settings in between Wet and dry.

The Range Control is something a little different again:

From the manual:
Range (dB): 0 to Full (-oo)
The Range Knob is a very useful addition to the original design, it allows you to limit the depth of compression and maintain a more natural sound. Since transients typically have the highest peaks in audio the Range Knob has a large effect on their sound, but also limits the total compression depth possible.
After analysing the SSL 4000* circuit it was found that various control voltages were limited at a fixed amount. The Range Knob provides a way to vary this limiting action which is such a key aspect in why the analog compression circuit sounds so good.
Any setting can be made more subtle with the Range Knob. It allows you to still grab the sound early but then off to not over-compress. This makes a great alternative to parallel compression with the Mix Knob.
As a guide use values from -60 dB to -80 dB to emulate the original characteristics of the compressor, and values of around -15 dB to -40 dB as an alternative to using the Mix knob.


There are no rules.
Experiment.
Thanks, for all this information.

Definitely a nice plugin but a bit tricky.
Old 17th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2029
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose ➡️
a nice plugin but a bit tricky.
Not really when you get used to it.

To keep it simple use Range on Full and Mix on Wet.

Those settings are like any compressor without parallel compression.
Old 29th February 2012
  #2030
Lives for gear
 
Keith Moore's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thinking about getting Glue but to use as a mastering compressor (as well as other uses). Anyone using it in mastering or does it shine best as a master buss compressor in mixing?
Old 29th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2031
Lives for gear
 
lobsterinn's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore ➡️
Thinking about getting Glue but to use as a mastering compressor (as well as other uses). Anyone using it in mastering or does it shine best as a master buss compressor in mixing?
I can't imagine a processor being good for one but not the other.

I have used it in both situations and been quite happy. Give the demo a spin.
Old 29th February 2012
  #2032
nms
Lives for gear
 
nms's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Honestly there is no need to even think about it. It's $99 and in a lot of people's opinions the best software compressor in existence! Plus unlike other plugins Andy constantly develops it and releases new versions free. I like to think of it as a $99 subscription to always having the best vst compressor around haha

I am the hugest fan of this sucker heheh.
Old 29th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2033
Lives for gear
 
bugscoe's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I love the fact that the Glue has the low cut filter built in! That's coming in very handy on the past couple mixes I've done.
Old 29th February 2012
  #2034
Lives for gear
 
andivax's Avatar
i dont like it on master bus because it doesnt have color.
Old 29th February 2012 | Show parent
  #2035
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe ➡️
I love the fact that the Glue has the low cut filter built in! That's coming in very handy on the past couple mixes I've done.
What do you mean? You do realize what the highpass filter is for right?
Old 10th March 2012 | Show parent
  #2036
Gear Maniac
 
Adura's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe ➡️
I love the fact that the Glue has the low cut filter built in! That's coming in very handy on the past couple mixes I've done.
I agree.
It's great for using it on the drum buss and it lets the kick sub go free.
I got the demo and in 2 days decided to buy it. GREAT on drum buss, mostly because of it's filter and the wet/dry option.
Old 15th March 2012 | Show parent
  #2037
D K
Lives for gear
 
D K's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Just got this plug.. I am stunned!.. I have been a "hardware only" guy on 2 bus for a while but this plug sounds very,very good.. I typically come behind my hardware comps with a pair of hardware eqs w/carnhills - This plug in front of that hardware is sick... Very nice Andy!!

I think this along with UAD Ampex is seriously challenging my hardware only edict.. thats a good thing.. keeps me actively engaged and gives more choices for sure... well done
Old 19th March 2012 | Show parent
  #2038
Gear Maniac
 
Chagalj's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
After more than a year of Glue usage I still have it on most of my tracks and on my master buss as well.
Andy, I havent tried the Drop although Im sure you did it perfectly, I just dont use much filtering in my production.
But can I (and Im sure many Glue users will agree) humbly ask of you that you focus your next project towards compressors and limiters? You did such a great job with Glue (the best soft comp by far) and making another comp/mimiter would be sooooo anticipated. Could you consider something like that, maybe? Maybe a mastering limiter with M/S option? Maybe with saturation options? Double the price, I would preorder.
Old 19th March 2012
  #2039
Lives for gear
 
BillSimpkins's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I love The Glue, but it tends to easily dull the transients more than a real GBuss Compressor with the same settings, you have to be careful with the attack time. I can also get more gain reduction out of the hardware without "unmusical" artifacts. I don't use The Glue on the 2 buss anymore (except to store the settings on me hardware, heh), but more so on other busses or single instruments.

I've also had good luck with PSP OldTimer ME.
Old 24th March 2012
  #2040
D K
Lives for gear
 
D K's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I heard that "dulling" as well but was able to get past it pretty quick playing with the mix knob and keeping the compression amount at 40% or lower... I seem to be favoring the slower attacks right now..may change.. I really like the auto release setting on this compressor and that is another thing that is very different for me as I normally like to dial in my release times by hand
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615433
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 98 views: 39199
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 295 views: 74346
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 181834
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump