Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 67 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 8th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Oh ok so is the sampling more of a cpu usage concern or does it also introduce a lot more latency?
Old 8th January 2012 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Oversampling takes more cpu and introduces latency. You are best off tracking at 88/96 since most of the time you don't need to oversample further, and you will have no added latency. The amount of latency added is shown in the oversampling menu next to each oversampling amount. This should be automatically compensated for depending on the host.
Old 9th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Oversampling takes more cpu and introduces latency. You are best off tracking at 88/96 since most of the time you don't need to oversample further, and you will have no added latency. The amount of latency added is shown in the oversampling menu next to each oversampling amount. This should be automatically compensated for depending on the host.
Andy - curious but what are your thoughts on the efficacy of oversampling @44.1 vs running at high sample rates vs 44.1? Given you didnt initially include oversampling on The Glue....

If you were producing on a modern powerful DAW - what would be your choice?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
Andy - curious but what are your thoughts on the efficacy of oversampling @44.1 vs running at high sample rates vs 44.1? Given you didnt initially include oversampling on The Glue....

If you were producing on a modern powerful DAW - what would be your choice?
The only reason I didn't include oversampling straight away is I hadn't had time to code it yet!

In terms of audio quality you are best off recording and mixing at 88/96, followed by 44 with x2 oversampling, followed by just running at 44.

In terms of cpu usage and latency and the amount of work involved with each then it really depends on the project you are doing, as existing sample libraries, workflows of different DAWs and such things need to be taken into account.

If I was writing my own DAW I would add an oversampling option for realtime and render to each channel / bus. In the manual I would recommend recording at 88/96. I would also code an efficient audio import facility where imported audio would play immediately via a high quality realtime resampling engine, but also resample the files in the background to the desired sample rate so the DAW could stream them from disk efficiently. The tracks would also be able to be frozen so that final mixing could take place on the high quality rendered version of each track. The entire workflow would be non-destructive.

To assist the end users it would be cool to have an "aliasing analyser" mode where the DAW would look for harmonic signals, then would work out from the harmonics where to expect aliasing to fall based on the current sample rate. If aliased harmonics were found then it would flag that track as in possible need of oversampling.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I expect it to be ready for download on Friday 16th December.
How is this progressing Andy ?

cheers
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➑️
How is this progressing Andy ?

cheers
Yeah, that was way off wasn't it. Progress is going very well, just tidying up a few more little bugs at the moment, this week for sure for the next release. Good news is that I have completely fixed all stealing of keystrokes in Ableton and Logic, and possible other hosts on Mac. This has been a hugely annoying outstanding issue with the Juce framework I use, but I managed to find a workaround.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I really want to buy the AAX DSP version of this.
tnx!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, that was way off wasn't it. Progress is going very well, just tidying up a few more little bugs at the moment, this week for sure for the next release.
Thanks for the update Andy.

I got the Vertigo VSC-2 a couple of months ago.

During the honeymoon period I was using the Vertigo on the master stereo buss a lot in situations where I usually used The Glue.

Now the Vertigo honeymoon is over I've found I"m back using the Glue again for those duties. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Vertigo for things like drums. I really like the dual mono option too. The Vertigo has a lot of character and a lot of bite. When it works it is very cool.

But, now the dust has settled, I'm reminded just how nice The Glue is on the master stereo buss. The Range control is very cool.

The Glue is a fantastic ITB compressor.
Old 10th January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Today, I realized once again just how awesome The Glue really is. I imported some plugin settings from another session to a vocal track to have as a starting point. The Glue was one of them. As I was working on the mix, the vocal track sounded really nice and balanced, so I didn't bother to check The Glue's settings, and I went on to other things first.

Eventually, I got to the vocal and started doing the detailed work on it. I checked what was going on with with The Glue and could not believe that it was doing 15 dbs of gain reduction and sounding fantastic! Granted, this is a live concert so things aren't as pristine as a studio recording. But regardless, I am truly impressed!
Old 10th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Sanchez ➑️
Today, I realized once again just how awesome The Glue really is. I imported some plugin settings from another session to a vocal track to have as a starting point. The Glue was one of them. As I was working on the mix, the vocal track sounded really nice and balanced, so I didn't bother to check The Glue's settings, and I went on to other things first.

Eventually, I got to the vocal and started doing the detailed work on it. I checked what was going on with with The Glue and could not believe that it was doing 15 dbs of gain reduction and sounding fantastic! Granted, this is a live concert so things aren't as pristine as a studio recording. But regardless, I am truly impressed!
Did you use a particular preset for the vocals the get 15dbs gain reduction working properly?
Old 10th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 ➑️
Did you use a particular preset for the vocals the get 15dbs gain reduction working properly?
Originally, I started out with the "Vocal Lead - Transparent" preset in another session on a vocal track. Then I tweaked it to that track. Those setting were then imported into the session I'm referring to. Obviously, the threshold was extreme for the vocal track into which it was imported. But in the end, I'm just going to leave it cause it sounds fine (other than a few transients here and there that can be dealt with with minimal fader moves. Much easier than riding the vocal track with less compression).

This song is of course not a open sounding ballad. It's a live concert of a song that drives pretty hard. Things are kinda grungy and, well... live. Probably one of the reasons that it worked.

Regardless, though. I'm still very impressed.
Old 21st January 2012 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
The Glue v1.2.0 (beta) is now released:
  • New: Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) officially supported
  • New: ProTools 10 officially supported for RTAS plugins (AAX still to come)
  • New: latency for oversampling has fixed length for better support of various hosts
  • Fixed: all keystrokes now passed through to all hosts in AU version
  • Fixed: RTAS not loading on Windows 7 machines
I've now made the linear phase oversampling engine to have a fixed latency, so now rendering will work in Cubase and other hosts that can't handle a change in latency on render. I've also updated the code so that when the power button is toggled the latency still remains fixed, so audio will remain in phase even when bypassed.

For those, like me, that have been annoyed for a long time with The Glue AU stealing keystrokes in Ableton Live, I finally worked out how to fix the issue. It also fixes the 'esc' key being stolen as well, so now in Logic you can close the plugin window again as expected when using the AU.
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
just purchased the glue! any updates on the Drop?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculus ➑️
just purchased the glue! any updates on the Drop?
Thanks for buying a license of The Glue! Now that I've got maintenance under control I'll be able to spend time on The Drop again, but at the moment there isn't any further news. Where there is I'll post it to the main gearslutz thread:

https://gearspace.com/board/product-...er-plugin.html
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Glue v1.2.0 (beta) is now released:
  • New: latency for oversampling has fixed length for better support of various hosts
I've now made the linear phase oversampling engine to have a fixed latency, so now rendering will work in Cubase and other hosts that can't handle a change in latency on render. I've also updated the code so that when the power button is toggled the latency still remains fixed, so audio will remain in phase even when bypassed.

For those, like me, that have been annoyed for a long time with The Glue AU stealing keystrokes in Ableton Live, I finally worked out how to fix the issue. It also fixes the 'esc' key being stolen as well, so now in Logic you can close the plugin window again as expected when using the AU.
Thank you!
Old 22nd January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks.
But in a Gearslutz way: is there ever gonna be a dual mono???

But anyway thank your for the update.

Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ive been checking for this thread to pop up almost every day since you announced the update. I didnt want to bother you with reminders because I knew you were already aware of our anticipation. Thanks for taking care.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this thread an advertisement or what?
Old 23rd January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass ➑️
No.
Old 23rd January 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass ➑️
It's actually a secret society.
Old 23rd January 2012 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
The first rule of Glue club is...

Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The first rule of Glue club is...
....stick together
Old 30th January 2012 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News update: The Glue v1.2.1 is released, which fixes the bug in the preset menu "Load..." function and mouse over display of knob values:

The Glue v1.2.1
  • New: now uses operating system standard dialog boxes for better accessibility
  • Fixed: Bug that prevented preset β€œLoad...” from working
  • Fixed: mouse over values for knobs now display correctly
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any news about The Drop"?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the 1.2.1 announcement here, Andy.

Cheers
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Glue v1.2.1
  • Fixed: mouse over values for knobs now display correctly
Good news!
Old 31st January 2012
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanx for the update!!
Old 1st February 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddman ➑️
the swedish house mafia seems to be using this baby on their master at the moment
Do you have a referance to this? Like a youtube clip or anything?
I do believe you mate, it's just that I am a big SHM fan and I am always curious about their way of doing things
Old 1st February 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
They do but for the final release they swap it out for a hardware SSL. Great way to work.
Old 2nd February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was checking out one of the waves webinars this week (can't remember which one) and in the screen shot amongst some waves plug-ins was "The Glue". Made me laugh!
πŸ“ Reply