Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
superb plugin IMHO. it replaced my HW SSL so...nuff said
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
There is no upgrade path from the RTAS version to the AAX DSP version. The AAX Native only version will be a free update for all existing customers, but it won't be available immediately since the RTAS version will continue to be supported with PT 10.
Ok thanks.

I'ts just interesting to know how developers like you will tackle the AAX dsp thing...and that will be part of the incentive (or lack of it) for us HD users to go for HDX.

But the AAX format is supposed to work both as dsp and native...right? So why should I want to keep my RTAS version at all?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
- Andy - Why is it that you think 88 makes a difference compared to 44? Isn't it a bit 'theoretic'? Or?
I would love to have your take on it
Old 23rd October 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you are using The Glue beta v1.1.6 then no presets are installed, my mistake sorry! This is a known issue of beta v1.1.6.
I rarely use them but just checked and there are factory presets in my 1.1.6.
I use AU
Old 23rd October 2011
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you are using The Glue beta v1.1.6 then no presets are installed, my mistake sorry! This is a known issue of beta v1.1.6. If you use v1.1.3 then presets will be installed, you can select which one using the preset bar arrow buttons. I have also zipped up the presets here: http://www.cytomic.com/files/the-glu...ory-bank-1.zip
Thanks! Last question, where should we place these AU presets to install?
Old 23rd October 2011
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by topperf ➑️
- Andy - Why is it that you think 88 makes a difference compared to 44? Isn't it a bit 'theoretic'? Or?
I would love to have your take on it
It's not at all theoretic. Don't be confused with merely the recorded quality of a source at 44 vs 8. This is in relation to an environment of digital processing where there are certainly audible results to be had. Loads on GS about it if you search. Simplified, working at higher rates moves the antialiasing filter up higher in the frequency rang to where it is no longer audible and much aliasing or digital dirt also gets moved higher out of our audible range. Because of this, the most common benefit seen is ending up with clearer, more well defined and open highs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P ➑️
Ok thanks.

I'ts just interesting to know how developers like you will tackle the AAX dsp thing...and that will be part of the incentive (or lack of it) for us HD users to go for HDX.
This may help

Quote:
It seems the people getting upset on this thread are all running Native only systems, and plan to only use Native AAX only. Cytomic will include an AAX Native only of The Glue as a free update to all Native customers at a later time. For various reasons this will not be available immediately. Until then all Native only customers can use the RTAS version of The Glue in PT 10 and you are not missing out on anything.

For those people wanting a TDM version of The Glue there is now an option for you to run The Glue with ultra low latency on DSP hardware. Due to months of development time, tens of thousands of dollars of hardware costs, and re-coding core DSP for the Texas Instruments DSP chips the AAX DSP version Cytomic needs to charge for this version to recoupe some of the costs involved.

The choice we faced was either not support AAX at all for some time, or to support it immediately and charge our customers for it. Cytomic still does not support the VST3 standard because it would be unreasonable to charge for this, and we can't afford the time to port to this new plugins standard without charging for it. Since customers can still run the RTAS version of The Glue in PT 10, then there is no immediate time pressure to deliver an AAX Native only version of The Glue.

Cytomic is two people, my wife and I, and we are doing our best to deliver the worlds highest quality analog modelling and dsp processing to our customers at consistently the lowest prices, and this is done without dongle copy protection.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand ➑️
This may help
Right...and while he might have my full sympathy, I still have to consider my own business and what the HDX platform will benefit and cost me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Right...and while he might have my full sympathy, I still have to consider my own business and what the HDX platform will benefit and cost me.
I thought you wanted to know about Cytomic's process w/ AAX. Incentives come from Avid only. I am at that same crossroad as yourself but no plug-in developer will be able to say anything that affects my decision unless they say "we will never make any aax plug-ins". But that doesn't seem to be the case:

The following development partners either have AAX-compatible plug-ins ready or will have them ready shortly
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand ➑️
I thought you wanted to know about Cytomic's process w/ AAX. Incentives come from Avid only. I am at that same crossroad as yourself but no plug-in developer will be able to say anything that affects my decision unless they say "we will never make any aax plug-ins". But that doesn't seem to be the case:

The following development partners either have AAX-compatible plug-ins ready or will have them ready shortly
Really? ...not if they say: "all tdm plug-ins will cost xx to upgrade to aax"?
There has to be a price consideration somewhere...in Cytomics case it's double up, but then again he never offered tdm.

I can't see anyone on your list say anything about pricing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Really? ...not if they say: "all tdm plug-ins will cost xx to upgrade to aax"?
There has to be a price consideration somewhere...in Cytomics case it's double up, but then again he never offered tdm.

I can't see anyone on your list say anything about pricing.
Some have. Go to their sites. It's only been 2/3 days. Give it some time we haven't started the business week yet:

McDSP Support for the AAX plug-in format, Native and DSP versions, is being added to McDSP v5 plug-ins. This update will be a free update to v5 products.

Phoenix 2 The release of the Mac version will be around Nov 1, 2011
The price has not changed from Phoenix, however there will be a small upgrade fee if Phoenix was purchased more than one year ago.

Metric Halo, refreshed for Pro Tools 10, for less than $200.

We should expect small upgrade fees. As we seen in the Cytomic statement it is costing the developers money to develop for AAX and it's even more for AAX for HDX:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➑️
I should point out something that the Avid presentation didn't make clear: The AAX plugins won't work AUTOMATICALLY on the HDX hardware. Most of the code can be shared between the native and HDX versions of AAX, but the HDX version still needs to be compiled on the development hardware, and tested on an HDX system. Which means that the developer needs to own an HDX system and development hardware. Which costs $$$$.
MediaMix
After seeing that. We ARE definitely going to be charged upgrade fees by most of the developers. But, that's not the biggest factor in us making a choice to upgrade our systems in the future.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix ➑️
After seeing that. We ARE definitely going to be charged upgrade fees by most of the developers. But, that's not the biggest factor in us making a choice to upgrade our systems in the future.
Might be a considerable factor if you have loads of TDM plug-ins like I do...

But we'll see what will be the motivating factor...I have been on TDM over 12 years, and a lot has happened to native in that time.
Old 25th November 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News Update: I've installed Lion and I'm well into work on the v1.1.7 release which will officially support Lion and fix a few graphics issues people have been having, as well address problems some people are having with RTAS on Win 7.

It has taken quite some time because the bootcamp assistant and the windows restore program both decided to delete a hard drive each, so I was left with having to restore from several week old backup and re-install Lion and re-do several weeks work. Thanks for your patience all the people that have reported problems!
Old 25th November 2011
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Brutal. Not much fun having to redo a bunch of work. Thanks for slaving over our favorite little destroyer as always Andy!
Old 9th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
News Update: I've installed Lion and I'm well into work on the v1.1.7 release which will officially support Lion and fix a few graphics issues people have been having, as well address problems some people are having with RTAS on Win 7.

It has taken quite some time because the bootcamp assistant and the windows restore program both decided to delete a hard drive each, so I was left with having to restore from several week old backup and re-install Lion and re-do several weeks work. Thanks for your patience all the people that have reported problems!
Andy, any news on the 1.1.7 update?
Old 9th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Thanks, Andy. Are you talking about the narrow GUI in Logic's plugin window for example?
Old 10th December 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagalj ➑️
Andy, any news on the 1.1.7 update?
It's going very well, but it is taking some time because there are many new versions of all the hosts out that need to be tested with. I expect it to be ready for download on Friday 16th December.
Old 10th December 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➑️
Thanks, Andy. Are you talking about the narrow GUI in Logic's plugin window for example?
The gui update will take place post the release of The Drop, and that is when I'll take care of the narrow interface in Logic and ProTools and Digital Performer, which all have a header bar wider than the contents of The Glue's window.

The current gui issues are to do with the main window doesn't display properly in Maschine as well as an issue with dual monitor setups with the interface jumping around the place instead of staying put in the ProTools. I have updated to the most recent version of the graphics framework I use called Juce which has fixed the first issue. I am still to test the dual monitor problem in PT.
Old 12th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The gui update will take place post the release of The Drop, and that is when I'll take care of the narrow interface in Logic and ProTools and Digital Performer, which all have a header bar wider than the contents of The Glue's window.

The current gui issues are to do with the main window doesn't display properly in Maschine as well as an issue with dual monitor setups with the interface jumping around the place instead of staying put in the ProTools. I have updated to the most recent version of the graphics framework I use called Juce which has fixed the first issue. I am still to test the dual monitor problem in PT.
Cool, thanks for the clarification and details!
Old 4th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the swedish house mafia seems to be using this baby on their master at the moment
Old 4th January 2012 | Show parent
Deleted daea282
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddman ➑️
the swedish house mafia seems to be using this baby on their master at the moment
yeah and i bet they still sound like ****e......
Old 5th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted daea282 ➑️
yeah and i bet they still sound like ****e......
imo, no they dont..But you are free to express how you feel. But a tip in the future for you, please be gentle with putting out negative comments on music you dont like. There is a difference between to sound like **** and that a group doesnt fall into your taste of music.

I feel sad when a lot of musicians diss other musicians..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
imo, no they dont..But you are free to express how you feel. But a tip in the future for you, please be gentle with putting out negative comments on music you dont like. There is a difference between to sound like **** and that a group doesnt fall into your taste of music.

I feel sad when a lot of musicians diss other musicians..
I agree.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I love their music, but to each their own ofcourse

So how did you find this out?

Also, what oversampling setting do you guys recommend using it with, if I plan on putting it on 2-3 busses and the master
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
just saw some week old studiophotos of the guys where you clearly could see the masterchain And it wasnt like the one they had in the making of one
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kenny Giola's using The Glue (in addition to a few others) on his 2buss during his Mixing Rock Toot Vid put out by Groove3. His final mix sounds stellar
Old 5th January 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
just saw some week old studiophotos of the guys where you clearly could see the masterchain And it wasnt like the one they had in the making of one
Link?

They still probably just use it as a placeholder for use and rendering til the final copy goes through their SSL G comps.
Old 7th January 2012 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supracg ➑️
I love their music, but to each their own ofcourse
Also, what oversampling setting do you guys recommend using it with, if I plan on putting it on 2-3 busses and the master
I recommend using the recommended oversampling settings when in use on busses That is x2 for realtime and x8 for render. If you have the cpu to spare on the project then run at x8 or even x4 for realtime.
πŸ“ Reply