Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 65 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Jimmyboy7, ok beat is a strong word! But I'm working on a sound design / music project with a ton of bass and the HP filter (term?) is hugely useful on the Glue. I can't dig in as hard with the API without losing the impact. That said, both together is a pretty nice combo! API just nipping peaks and Glue for... Well... Glue! ;-)
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGo ➑️
Hey Jimmyboy7, ok beat is a strong word! But I'm working on a sound design / music project with a ton of bass and the HP filter (term?) is hugely useful on the Glue. I can't dig in as hard with the API without losing the impact. That said, both together is a pretty nice combo! API just nipping peaks and Glue for... Well... Glue! ;-)
Ok, thanks for the reply, I am getting the new RND Master Buss Processor next week. I chose it over the API 2500, I will do the same with the Glue as a tandem good stuff man
Old 14th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Smart C1 is basically Identical in sound and function to the onboard SSL bus comp

Quote:
Yep, just discovered the joys of The Glue plus Pro-L. The Glue beat my API 2500 hardware on this project, but I'm still using the API 550 on the buss!

Anybody know which SSL style hardware is the closest to The Glue? Smart? Obsidian?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep, just discovered the joys of The Glue plus Pro-L. The Glue beat my API 2500 hardware on this project, but I'm still using the API 550 on the buss!

Anybody know which SSL style hardware is the closest to The Glue? Smart? Obsidian?
I've done all testing for The Glue with the XLogic SSL G-Series comp, which has low noise is is quite clean. The "Full" setting for Range matches this compressor, and a setting of the Range knob to around -60 dB more closely matches the older 4000 bus comps in sound, but The Glue doesn't distort the signal like those older models with their non-linear gain reduction amps.

Each different hardware clone has slightly different features and sounds, but I can't comment on any of them since I've never used them. There is the Smart C2 has a fixed 150 Hz -6 dB high pass option. Frederick NorΓ©n, Sound on Sound reviewer, recommended the TK Audio BC1 as a good reasonably priced unit. It also has a fixed 150 Hz -6 dB high pass button. There are probably more options as well. Edit: And a couple more, the one you Obsidian that you mentioned, and the Vertigo all discrete VSC-2.

$6170 Vertigo Sound VSC-2

$3700 SSL XLogic G Series

$3070 Smart Research C2

$2750 Dramastic Audio Obsidian

$1250 TK Audio BC1
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Andy,

Do you have "any" plans on a TDM version?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore ➑️
Hey Andy,

Do you have "any" plans on a TDM version?
There will be an announcement made next week (Thr 20th Oct) at AES by Avid which will be of interest to all TDM customers. I can't go into any further details until then.
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
There will be an announcement made next week (Thr 20th Oct) at AES by Avid which will be of interest to all TDM customers. I can't go into any further details until then.
Not sure I am worried or excited about this.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well if they made the next "Host" cards or whatever you wanna call them work with RTAS and let TDM go bye bye, all you developers would have a much easier life, right?
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by perdix ➑️
Well if they made the next "Host" cards or whatever you wanna call them work with RTAS and let TDM go bye bye, all you developers would have a much easier life, right?
I hope it's something new and exciting rather than just "the death of TDM". My HD3 system is solid as hell and I'm dying to put HEAT to the test on my upcoming sessions.
Old 15th October 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Let me be a bit more specific. On behalf of Cytomic Avid will be making an announcement at AES which will be of interested to all Cytomic customers that have made requests for a TDM version of The Glue.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Andy,

Thank you for jumping in on the hardware discussion. I've actually heard only the Obsidian in person--the others I've only read about--but I heard the Obsidian on the floor at NAMM: not a great listening space! But I'm quite intrigued by your saying that The Glue has less distortion than the hardware. Is The Glue also less distorted than similar software? It sounds bigger and more clear (more hardware-like) than, say, Waves SSL comp.

Also, on the subject of distortion, I thought that was what gave compressors "character" (like the API or Distressor, SSL, etc.)? Since the Glue is obviously modeled on the SSL, would you consider it a character comp or a clean or mastering comp? Just curious. I'm enjoying it regardless!
Old 15th October 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hola Andy,
Just like to say I totally support your company and products and I'm looking forward to your new stuff.

P.S. Thanks for not spamming your paid customers.
Old 16th October 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi Andy,

Thank you for jumping in on the hardware discussion. I've actually heard only the Obsidian in person--the others I've only read about--but I heard the Obsidian on the floor at NAMM: not a great listening space! But I'm quite intrigued by your saying that The Glue has less distortion than the hardware. Is The Glue also less distorted than similar software? It sounds bigger and more clear (more hardware-like) than, say, Waves SSL comp.

Also, on the subject of distortion, I thought that was what gave compressors "character" (like the API or Distressor, SSL, etc.)? Since the Glue is obviously modeled on the SSL, would you consider it a character comp or a clean or mastering comp? Just curious. I'm enjoying it regardless!
I consider The Glue a clean compressor, but one that still adds great character when pushed hard. Let me go into a little more detail. There are two main areas of distortion introduced when a compressor does its thing:

1) distortion in the main signal path components and amps which is present even without compression taking place
2) distortion caused by changing of amplitude of the main signal from the sidechain envelope follower, which is called amplitude modulation

The sidechain circuit has lots of deliberate distortion, which includes the threshold level, rectification (absolute value), and ratio shaper. This signal is then smoothed by the envelope follower and the amplitude of the main signal is modulated by this to give you compression. The Glue models all of these sidechain non-linearities and other non-perfect effects of the components in the sidechain, and it is the combination of all these that give The Glue its compression tone.

The Glue does not add distortion in the main signal path unless compression is taking place, which is what the original analog compressor is trying to do, and one of the reasons it costs a lot.

Now hardware sounds clear even though it is distorting the signal. One of the main reasons is that analog hardware doesn't alias. The Glue has incredibly low levels of aliasing, lower and cleaner than any of the competing models by UAD, Waves, or SSL themselves - which is easily proved using a static sine wave input and looking at the resultant spectrum, which should only include harmonics of the sine wave input frequency.

So what you need from a good model is not only to model the action of the compressor accurately, but also to do this with low aliasing. I've done my very best to achieve both but still keep cpu usage to a minimum. Independent reviews by the likes of Sound On Sound magazine back this up.
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy, thank you: that's as clear and concise an explanation of distortion in compression and of aliasing I've read. I do read SOS and vaguely recall reading a review of the Glue. But empirically, I don't need proof greater than my own ears. To me, the clear but character-filled sound of my API 2500 was matched and complemented by the sound quality of The Glue. That is, there is a pleasant and useful control of dynamics, with the same degree of clarity and openness that the mix had before hitting the compressor. That lack of aliasing is what has really sold me on the Glue. The only other software compressor I use that sounds almost ad open and clear (similarly non-aliased maybe?) seems to be the Softube CL1. But it's modeling a tube compressor, which is a different beast.

Again thanks, Andy! Great work on this compressor--love it!

Any chance you might create a limiter at some point?
Old 16th October 2011
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's damn awesome! I've been considering biting the bullet and replacing it with the real thing and just using the Glue a place holder.. But I'm going to hold off on that til I have money to burn as the Glue is just that good.

Hey Andy, I use a sidechain compressor on nearly every sound in my tracks but I always just use the ableton compressor since I look at it as moving sounds out of the way for other sounds. Am I missing out on another area the Glue shines noticeably in your opinion or am I right in thinking it doesn't really matter so much for that? If I did start using the Glue for that would you also recommend using oversampling x2 for that use? I already work at 88.2k but anything for a noticeably better result.
Old 21st October 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Andy, thank you: that's as clear and concise an explanation of distortion in compression and of aliasing I've read. ...
Again thanks, Andy! Great work on this compressor--love it!
You're welcome! Thanks for buying a license of The Glue.

Quote:
Any chance you might create a limiter at some point?
I will definitely release a limiter in the future
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
It's damn awesome!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
Hey Andy, I use a sidechain compressor on nearly every sound in my tracks but I always just use the ableton compressor since I look at it as moving sounds out of the way for other sounds. Am I missing out on another area the Glue shines noticeably in your opinion or am I right in thinking it doesn't really matter so much for that? If I did start using the Glue for that would you also recommend using oversampling x2 for that use? I already work at 88.2k but anything for a noticeably better result.
Well done for running at 88.2k, your productions will love you for it Using x2 at 88.2k will not do anything since the multiplier always refers to the base sample rate of 44.1k (or 48k). The only time you may need to use x4 or x8 is for huge amounts of compression with the fastest attack and release times, or to reduce aliasing when using the PeakClip, but at 88.2k you area already getting ultra clean compression that has inaudible aliasing that matches the clean harmonic only results you get from hardware, but you will have less hiss using The Glue.

As for the sidechaining, using The Glue will make a big difference on the "crack" at the start of compression, but it will also add more movement to the body of the sound from the sidechain signal, so I would recommend giving it a try. You can easily compare different compressors by soloing the thing by sidechained. Make sure the set the Range knob to "Full" and the sidechain high pass is off for maximum pumping.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Cytomic Announces AAX DSP Support for ProTools HDX
https://cytomic.com/cytomic-announce...t-protools-hdx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy,

How about that update for Lion & PT 9?

~Iz
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Hey Izzi. Getting the AAX version of The Glue ready for AES took a bit longer than expected, sorry about that. I've already started work on The Glue v1.1.7 which will support PT 9 on Lion and the latest version of Windows 7, as well as contain a few other bug fixes.
Old 21st October 2011
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ahh.. That's good to know about the oversampling rates in the glue. I thought when running 88.2 then the x2 setting would double that but clearly not in that case. What I was wondering about though was if I should bother with oversampling when using it merely as a sidechaining comp. I always use oversampling on master, but since I'm already working at 88 I probably don't need to bother oversampling a sc comp I'm guessing.
Old 22nd October 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
At 88.2k you won't need to oversample further for sidechain pumping duties with a slow release time, and you probably won't even need oversampling for the master bus, since typically you would use a fairly mild setting there.
Old 22nd October 2011
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
At 88.2k you won't need to oversample further for sidechain pumping duties with a slow release time, and you probably won't even need oversampling for the master bus, since typically you would use a fairly mild setting there.
Nice. Yes life is great at 88
Old 22nd October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cytomic Announces AAX DSP Support for ProTools HDX
https://cytomic.com/cytomic-announce...t-protools-hdx
Does this mean that existing users have to buy a whole new AAX version...or is it just a matter of downloading the new installer?
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P ➑️
Does this mean that existing users have to buy a whole new AAX version...or is it just a matter of downloading the new installer?
PT 10 loads RTAS plugins, so there is no need to purchase the AAX version at the moment unless you want hardware acceleration with ultra low latency.
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just bought and installed the AU 64-bit Glue, but no presets were installed, and when I call it up in Logic, the Glue preset menu is empty. Searched different threads on this, Googled, etc., but have found nothing. Where can I download the presets? I don't see them anywhere on the Cytomic site. Thx.
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
@GCL, this is from the Release Notes:
v1.1.6
Known issue: no presets included in this build. If you don't have presets then please install v1.1.3 and load a single copy in any host and the presets will be installed. You may then use v1.1.5 as normal

It says 1.1.5 but i'm sure it means 1.1.6
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL ➑️
I just bought and installed the AU 64-bit Glue, but no presets were installed, and when I call it up in Logic, the Glue preset menu is empty. Searched different threads on this, Googled, etc., but have found nothing. Where can I download the presets? I don't see them anywhere on the Cytomic site. Thx.
If you are using The Glue beta v1.1.6 then no presets are installed, my mistake sorry! This is a known issue of beta v1.1.6. If you use v1.1.3 then presets will be installed, you can select which one using the preset bar arrow buttons. I have also zipped up the presets here: http://www.cytomic.com/files/the-glu...ory-bank-1.zip
Lives for gear

Quote:
PT 10 loads RTAS plugins, so there is no need to purchase the AAX version at the moment unless you want hardware acceleration with ultra low latency.
That didn't answer my question.

Let me ask more precisely:

Is there any upgrade path for existing users, or are you saying we need to buy it all over again to get the AAX version?
Old 23rd October 2011
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P ➑️
That didn't answer my question.

Let me ask more precisely:

Is there any upgrade path for existing users, or are you saying we need to buy it all over again to get the AAX version?
There is no upgrade path from the RTAS version to the AAX DSP version. The AAX Native only version will be a free update for all existing customers, but it won't be available immediately since the RTAS version will continue to be supported with PT 10.
πŸ“ Reply