Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 63 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 10th June 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News update: I've finally finished the new release of The Glue which will hopefully fix the "out of memory" crashes and freezes people with i7 machines were having. I've also added 64-bit VST support on Mac (thanks to an update in the Juce framework I use that supports it!)

I've labelled it as a "beta" build since there is quite a lot of new code that hasn't had wide spread usage, but I have tested in thoroughly internally. Once some positive reports come in from the early adopters I'll remove the beta status.

v1.1.6 beta
* New: Mac 64-bit VST plugin type
* New: improved smoothing algorithm now uses a 2 pole low pass filter on parameter changes
* New: slightly improved cpu performance
* Fixed: crash when creating a new instance of The Glue with oversampling enabled by default
* Fixed: slow redraws on P4 machines
* Fixed: auto release working again, was broken in v1.1.5
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
andy, I may have missed this but are you doing a beta on the Filter ? I would be interested.

thank you for the 1.1.6 update ...

john
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➑️
andy, I may have missed this but are you doing a beta on the Filter ? I would be interested.

thank you for the 1.1.6 update ...

john
I'll most likely do an paid for beta like I did when I first released The Glue so that people that want to try it out early can jump in early. There will also be a beta trial version so you don't have to fork over any cash to have a go. It probably won't be a long beta since the DSP code under the hood is actually the easiest thing to get right since it doesn't have to interact with anything other than crunch some numbers being sent to it. The layer of code that handles all the plugin formats and host variations and operating system changes is the most likely to go wrong, but that is all exactly the same as the code that I already use in The Glue, so it is already solid.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Paid or not .. looking forward to playing with that sucka'

cheers
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Thanks! Hopefully this build of The Glue will be ultra solid and I'll be able to spend all my time working on The Drop and get it released early :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Andy. Looking forward to it. Its been a little bummer losing channel metering (intermittently) on tracks using The Glue. Didn't mind the Auto Release issue as right now, am using The Glue for SC'ing Bass.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyByStarbucks ➑️
Hi Andy. Looking forward to it. Its been a little bummer losing channel metering (intermittently) on tracks using The Glue. Didn't mind the Auto Release issue as right now, am using The Glue for SC'ing Bass.
Ahh woops, I forgot to include that the auto release is also fixed in v1.1.6. Can you please send me a bug report about the channel metering problem if you haven't already done so? Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just hit your email @Cytomic. Thanks!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Ahh, thanks :-) I see you already emailed me about it, sorry for not being able to find out what is going on with this yet. Sometimes it's a little difficult matching up forum names on gearslutz with email addresses from bug reports, so thanks for sending through another email!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just wanted to chime in with simple thanks for Andy. I havent had any problems whatsoever with 1.1.5 version, no crashes here with i7 and auto release I used without noticing any change from previous version. But your support is something that makes me happy to be your customer. (Besides the fact that the Glue sits on almost every track in my projects.) heh
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
andy,

btw: i have the Glue all over 13 tracks on a new record for a singer out of boston beautiful i can hear clear down her throat to her apendix or maybe its a kidney backfiring LOL

cheers

john
Old 14th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Thanks! Hopefully this build of The Glue will be ultra solid
So far all good here Andy.
Logic 9.1.4 with 10.6.7
I checked out some channel meters from time to time and couldn't see any problems but it is not like I've had all channel instances open all the time staring at them !
It seems the slight reduction in CPU hit is working.
I'm working on a project with VCC and MPX all over it and I'm constantly on the edge of CPU meltdown.
Since loading 1.1.6 last Friday it seems I have a tiny bit more CPU power.
I'm using 4 instances of Glue in the project withe default oversampling settings so it seems that every little bit helps.
cheers
Old 15th June 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Great! Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to keep everyone in the loop I still have a report of someone on Mac OS 10.6.5 using PT HD 8.1.1 on an 8 core Nehalem having issues that I am still looking into. I also managed to forget to add the automatic installation of the presets in v1.1.6, which won't effect anyone upgrading, but will effect a new install. In the next month I'll make another update that will hopefully tidy up these last few things.
Old 15th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Andy!
Old 16th June 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News update on the PT HD 8.1.1 issue. Antonio, who reported the issue, has been kind enough to do some further testing for me. I got him to try out The Glue in a project by itself and all was fine. He then did a fantastic job of going on to work out that adding the Slate Digital VCC and or the Nomad Factory Magnetic plugin prior to The Glue caused the issue. I've just sent and email to Nomad Factory to ask for a copy of Magnetic to test with, and I am already in contact with Slate Digital, so hopefully this issue will be solved very soon. A big thanks must go to Antonio for finding spending the time to find out what the problem was, and for being patient while I tried to find it myself without success. Hopefully I will now be able to reproduce it on my machine now, and it will be easily resolved by either me and/or Nomad Factory and Slate Digital soon.
Old 16th June 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
solid work, only triald your plug, but its looking to be a buyer
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
New update: I found the PT problem with Nomad Factory Magnetic that was reported. It is a very particular case. It happens when you load a PT 8.1 HD or LE project that already has a copy of The Glue loaded on a track or bus with some room before it in the plugin chain to add another plugin, then, without pressing play, you load an instance of Magnetic. Audio is already streaming through the plugin chain and the very first sample that The Glue gets after inserting Magnetic is a "NaN" which is an invalid number and should never be passed to a plugin, which is why there was a problem in The Glue. I don't know if the problem is with Magnetic or Pro Tools or an interaction with both of them, but I'm in contact with both parties to sort this out.

I also have a workaround for the issue where I can, with minimal cpu, detect there is a problem with the input being passed to The Glue, and then recover from the bad input and display a warning in the VU meter "Bad input signal!" in a bright red bold font, so hopefully this sort of thing will be very clear in the future as to where the problem is :-)

There are a couple of other small issues to do with dual monitor setups and other slight graphics problems that were introduced with the most recent update to the Juce framework I'm using, so hopefully I can fix those as well and release and an update soon.
Old 2nd August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Greetings,

running a Glue demo since last night. OSX 6.4, Logic 9.1.1, Glue 1.13

Setup:

Omnisphere plays four arps, two piano arps, with reverb on the insert and send, after the insert reverb sits Glue, further two guitar arps, routed to Aux 6, so they sit on their own bus, also here insert reverb, and afterwards Glue. On the master out, Glue, then Aether.

Oversampling is set to 2x and 8x for rendering.

Question:

I use a MacPro 2x 2.93 Ghz Quad with 32 Gig Ram. On playing all four instruments, 2x piano, and the 2x guitar, with the three instances of Glue inserted, one core is maxing out, peaking in the red.

Is Glue not taking advantage of multicores or is there something I might be doing wrong?
Old 3rd August 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Are you looking at he CPU meters in Logic? They aren't the best way to see what is going on. Have you tried using Activity Monitor? I've attached some screenshots to show this.

One is at a project running at 44.1 kHz sample rate with a buffer size to achieve a 6.1 mS roundtrip latency, with 20 copies of The Glue running at x2 oversampling, and this results in no audio dropouts. As you can see from the Activity Monitor graphs on the right (red and green) the cpu load is very high, but there isn't one audio dropout. The cpu meters in Logic are showing red.

The second screenshot shows the same project running at 88.2 kHz sample rate, with 6.0 mS roundtrip latency. As you can see, since the sample rate is already 88.2 then The Glue doesn't need to oversample to reach the target rate of 88.2 and the cpu load is now around 1/4 of what it was and you can use all that extra power and higher sample rate to let other plugins run at a higher sample rate as well
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-44.1-6.1ms.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-88.2-6ms.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi Andy,

You are right, I must look at it again with activity monitor.

So, clearly you are making use of all cores as I can see now, I just could not know, I saw only one being maxed out while playing, and did hear crackles. Perhaps, for rehearsing instruments live it might be better to not have oversampling active at all and leave it at original sample rate?

Do you consider to, how shall I put it, 'modernize' the preset select function, it is a bit quaint the way it is supposed to work currently.

P.S. scratch that comment, I found the menu. Trial is VERY convincing to my ears, installed 1.1.6 now.

P.P.S. Love the Logo

Thanks for looking at my question.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I don't do anything other than process audio in the thread given to me by the host / operating system. I do have a single background thread shared by all instances of The Glue for handling all timers, which then fire off messages to the main ui thread to do things, but other than that I don't do anything special.

I plan to update the preset menu, and add a search feature, as well as some kind of way to select presets without needing to open the ugly file dialog box that you currently have to, but this is still a while off since I have to finish The Drop first

Yes you should probably disable oversampling, or run your entire project at 88.2 if you want to play with minimal latency and cpu with multiple instances of The Glue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy it sounds like you're working full-time on The Drop these days. Is The Glue 1.1.6 still not recommended for production work? Any update in the offing before you finish Drop?
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I'm still working on v1.1.7 of The Glue, which will be the same as v1.1.6, but I'll add back automatic installing of the presets, and hopefully address some dual monitor issues people are having, and this will be released within the next four weeks.

I also got a new MacPro for my main development machine, so I've had to spend a little time clearing up, backing up, and general housekeeping and getting back in touch with Rhinoceros 4 < Modeling tools for designers >, which is in Beta on Mac, and I'm loving it. You can thank Rhinoceros for how The Glue looks, since I'm no 3D expert, but Rhino made it very easy to make the shapes in my head become reality.

I will be using Rhino to design the gui for The Drop, as well as adjusting the gui for The Glue to add more room for the preset management, and making it wider so there isn't wasted screen that there currently is in some hosts. This new gui version of The Glue I'll release as v2.0 with a couple of new features, and it will be a free update from v1.x
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm still working on v1.1.7 of The Glue, which will be the same as v1.1.6, but I'll add back automatic installing of the presets, and hopefully address some dual monitor issues people are having, and this will be released within the next four weeks.

I also got a new MacPro for my main development machine, so I've had to spend a little time clearing up, backing up, and general housekeeping and getting back in touch with Rhinoceros 4 < Modeling tools for designers >, which is in Beta on Mac, and I'm loving it. You can thank Rhinoceros for how The Glue looks, since I'm no 3D expert, but Rhino made it very easy to make the shapes in my head become reality.

I will be using Rhino to design the gui for The Drop, as well as adjusting the gui for The Glue to add more room for the preset management, and making it wider so there isn't wasted screen that there currently is in some hosts. This new gui version of The Glue I'll release as v2.0 with a couple of new features, and it will be a free update from v1.x
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Quote:
....This new gui version of The Glue I'll release as v2.0 with a couple of new features, and it will be a free update from v1.x
WOW, Andy truly is awesome!

Graham
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
[...] This new gui version of The Glue I'll release as v2.0 with a couple of new features, and it will be a free update from v1.x
Andy, speaking for myself only, it's OK if you need to charge a little bit for the update. I want you to stay in business!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham ➑️
Andy, speaking for myself only, it's OK if you need to charge a little bit for the update. I want you to stay in business!

:| :|
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
<snipped>

This new gui version of The Glue I'll release as v2.0 with a couple of new features, and it will be a free update from v1.x
Amazing. This software is one of the best investments I've ever made :-)
Old 5th August 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I'll release v2 of The Glue as a free update after I release The Drop. As my first plugin there were a few things to learn, like that I made the gui too narrow, and I didn't leave enough room in the top bar for preset browsing, so it will mainly be a cosmetic fix, but I'll also take the opportunity to add a couple of small features while I'm at it. With a new interface I figure it is clearer for users that I bump the version number up to v2.0, and that way hopefully I can make it a more interesting storey for those that aren't yet aware of The Glue since I can also list all the features I added since the release of v1.0 and make a bigger deal out of it
Old 5th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Great product, I use it A LOT!
πŸ“ Reply