Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 62 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 7th May 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
The new product will be out at the end of 2011, but I'll release it as soon as I feel it is ready, so it could possibly be earlier. I've finally worked out a cool name for it, so I'll make an announcement in the next month once I have done a little more work and got some more audio examples put together :-)

Also good news: I've got 64-bit VST support working on Mac, so that will be included in the next release along with bug fixes for Nehalem processors.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great Work, Andy!
Looking forward to it

atb,
kjb
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcademyCurve ➑️
Great Work, Andy!
Looking forward to it
+1

Graham
Lives for gear

i compared uad g-ssl compressor with the glue.
attack sounds a little bit different (uad emulation is more snappy).
i quit using uad g-ssl. the glue is more flexible for me. range and sidechain features are amazing addon to it's good sound.
Old 8th May 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
O.k after reading through the thread again i was just wondering something about oversampling. (Maybe this is a silly question)
I see more and more plugins offering oversampling, so if i want to use it, would every plugin i use in the chain require to have oversampling implemented/enabled?
Or is it sufficient for the first plugin in the chain to be using it?
Or is it just for buses?

And would/should i use it on every track in the mix?
I think i may be missing the whole point of it.

Graham
Old 9th May 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Hi Grahamdwc. Oversampling can be a little tricky to get your head around, so don't worry about asking questions. If a plugin supports oversampling then the only thing that benefits is that single plugin, nothing else before or after.

Until hosts support more advanced features, you have two options:

1) run your daw at the higher sample rate (and resample any existing audio to that rate before use)
2) run your daw at a lower sample rate, and oversample selected non-linear plugins at a higher sample rate

The first way takes more cpu and hard drive space, but is easier since it is more "set and forget" and works even with plugins that don't support oversampling. The second way is more cpu and hard drive efficient if done correctly, but requires a little more effort, and plugins that support oversampling.

I recommend running at 88.2 / 96, and then oversampling selected non-linear plugins from there. As a starting point you can use the following list to guide you as to what sample rate you should be running at for various sorts of digital processing:

Off or no oversampling (44.1 / 48) - linear plugins like eq, reverb, static delay lines, slow gain changes from automation, or gentle compression with slow attack and release times (up to medium compression with The Glue since it is already very low aliasing)
x2 (88.2 / 96) - lightly non-linear plugins like medium compression (heavy compression with The Glue), gently saturating eqs, modulated delay line effects like chorus, flanging, phasing, amplitude modulation
x4 (176.4 / 192) - medium non-linear plugins like gentle drive, heavy compression (extreme compression with The Glue)
x8 or higher (352.8 / 768) - heavily non-linear plugins like heavy drive, frequency modulation, very heavy compression

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply Andy, Thanks for making it clear to me.
So if i'm correct, i should leave it @ x2 real-time (x8 render) as i work in 48, just let the Glue do its thing.

Thanks for the guide list, it really helps getting my head around it.

Graham
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
x8 or higher (352.8 / 768) - heavily non-linear plugins like heavy drive, frequency modulation, very heavy compression
Visions of trips to Micro Center to pick up more hard drives...
Old 10th May 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➑️
Thanks for the reply Andy, Thanks for making it clear to me.
So if i'm correct, i should leave it @ x2 real-time (x8 render) as i work in 48, just let the Glue do its thing.

Thanks for the guide list, it really helps getting my head around it.

Graham
The recommended settings will give you outstanding results pretty much no matter what you throw at it. If you are running lots of copies of The Glue on individual tracks and your cpu is hurting, then you can lower cpu usage by switching off oversampling on tracks without too much high frequency content and you will still get fantastic results.
Old 19th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Andy, has the response of the auto release changed in recent versions?
I just started using 1.1.5 today and i'm sure on older versions i used it seemed to be quite a slow release on auto mode (which i loved on the mixbuss), where as now it seems quite fast ..?

Am i imagining this?

Thanks.
Old 19th May 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook ➑️
Hi Andy, has the response of the auto release changed in recent versions?
I just started using 1.1.5 today and i'm sure on older versions i used it seemed to be quite a slow release on auto mode (which i loved on the mixbuss), where as now it seems quite fast ..?

Am i imagining this?

Thanks.
Yes, you're right, the auto release is completely wrong. This is my mistake and not intended, I'm really sorry about that. Please revert back to v1.1.3 to get correct auto-release behaviour. I've got an i7 machine lined up for tomorrow to fix that bug, and I plan on putting together a new release by next Friday, so I'll make sure to put the auto release back how it should be. Thanks so much for pointing this out!

I sometimes use auto release as a test mode for trying out different algorithms and most likely didn't put back the original code, so this should be easily fixed.
Old 20th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good to know my ears are still working.

Thanks, will go back to 1.1.3 and wait for an update.

Still really loving your plugin by the way. Great work!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've been using 1.1.5 since it was released and tried the auto-release in vocals by accident. Now I see here it's not working as expected heh This is the first time I actually liked its behavior on vocals (I've used it before on instruments but never on vocals because it always sounded bad to me). It's a shame you'll change it but I understand it is a bug you have to fix. The irony of fate heh
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
A quick new update on the i7 / Xeon issue. I have done stress testing with The Glue in Cubase and Reaper and Logic on Mac and Win with an i7 and a quad Xeon and I can't reproduce any problems at all. I was running 12 copies on multiple audio tracks with different presets and swapping the oversampling around loads and it never missed a beat. I tried loading and saving and recalling previous songs, not a problem. This means I've tried everything from all the bug reports I've been given and can't reproduce the issue which is bad news, since if I can reproduce the problem and don't know what it is and I can't fix it.

Anyway, this is just one day of slog. I was hoping it would crash or hang easily, but it seems the problem is possibly due to other plugins or more complex interactions of usage than just having lots of tracks with lots of copies of The Glue on them using oversampling.

I will still put together a release for next Friday with the fix for the auto-release mode, and also the Mac 64-bit Vst, but it doesn't seem likely at this stage that I will be able to fix the i7 / Xeon problems since I just can't find them. I'll keep everyone posted.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
There is one bit of good news for people that were experiencing slow redraws. There was a problem introduced into the Juce framework I'm using that caused these issues which has apparently now been fixed. I'll update to the latest latest Juce just in case that fixes things for the i7 / Xeon people as well.
Old 26th May 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
And finally some solid news for those that have been patiently waiting: the next product from Cytomic is called "The Drop" and it's an analog modelled resonant filter plugin. I've finally got some audio examples of the first few filter types which you can check out here:

https://cytomic.com/cytomic-announce...-filter-plugin

I've started a gearslutz thread about it here:

https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...er-plugin.html
Old 26th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh, a filter - the demos sound interesting ...
Old 31st May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
any eta on the auto-release fix?
Old 31st May 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY ➑️
any eta on the auto-release fix?
I'm sorry to report that I'm still working on the latest update. I have been delayed because my main development machine keeps on crashing on me and giving me spinning beach balls a few minutes after startup and I have no idea why. I'm in the process of getting another machine but this week could also be wiped out, so I'll let you know how things are going. Sorry for the delay!
Old 1st June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, you're right, the auto release is completely wrong. .
Phew, so glad I stumbled upon this.
I couldn't for the life of me work out why mixes with the Glue on the stereo buss, which previously sounded good, were suddenly "strange".

Went back to 1.1.3 and normality was restored.
Old 7th June 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News update:

1) Dev machine back up and running: I've reformatted my mac hard drive and restored everything so I've been busy for the last few days on bug fixing. I suggest not using "MacDrive" as I'm pretty sure this was the cause of several hard drive corruptions, even though I am running the most recent versions of everything.

2) i7 fixes (hopefully): I've updated to the most recent Juce, so hopefully that will fix the i7 problems.

3) Auto release fixed: I just had the incorrect micro farad value assigned to a capacitor in the auto release circuit after a cleanup of the code, all fixed now.

4) Slightly faster: I've also optimised the circuit solver so it should take a fraction less cpu.

I'm now checking out a reported issue using The Glue with certain Waves plugins on Mac, but regardless I'll get a release out later this week.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
God Bless Andy! You're a great guy!

~Iz
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great work, Andy. Thanks for the 'heads-up'.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
yes sir, I love this plugin ...

question: If I do not use Auto would I have any issues using 1.1.5 ?

thank you again for the nice work .. makes my life easier

cheers

john
Old 8th June 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
New update: I've found the bug in v1.1.5 that everyone with i7 machines has been reporting. It also happens on Core2Duo's, and is completely my fault. I initially report a random latency to the host before I get told the actual sample rate. If the random number is very large this causes hosts to possibly try and allocate several gigabytes of memory and crash. I've pulled v1.1.5 from the web page and will release v1.1.6 in the next few days.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➑️
yes sir, I love this plugin ...

question: If I do not use Auto would I have any issues using 1.1.5 ?

thank you again for the nice work .. makes my life easier

cheers

john
Thanks John! Please stick to v1.1.3 until I release a fix in v1.1.6 later this week
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks John! Please stick to v1.1.3 until I release a fix in v1.1.6 later this week

*like* heh
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
cool .. thank you andy I will revert back

the filter sounds cool - checked out the demos

take care
Old 10th June 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I'm still working flat out on the v1.1.6 update, hopefully I'll get it out later tonight, but otherwise it will be tomorrow for sure!
Old 10th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
thank you for the update Andy .. cheers
πŸ“ Reply