Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 60 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 12th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY ➑️
variable linking - then it would be perfect!
keep up the great workthumbsup
thumbsup +1
Old 12th March 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY ➑️
hey andy - am loving your plug on the mix bus - the oversampling mode sounds great. I'm getting the previously mentioned cpu spikes and subsequent error messages though every time I open the plug or tweak a a parameter in pt 9 on mac 10.6.5 - any update on when a fix might be available? works perfect in logic 9.

on another note if you were ever going to add any other features top of my list would be variable linking - then it would be perfect!

keep up the great workthumbsup
Thanks for the bug report! I've been spending the past few weeks getting a "lock free" logging and system in place so I can precisely time (to the micro second) how long different parts of the program take to exectue and write this information to disk from anywhere without holding anything up. I only just got this working yesterday, it was a little tricky to set up, but now it is in place so I expect to quickly find any issues now.

Since PT9 is so new I've been testing in PT8 first. I did find one bug so far, when you first press play on a loaded song, that would cause an audio processing holdup and I've fixed that. At the moment there will also be a spike when you change oversampling amounts on the fly as it was easier to do it this way to get things up and running, so for now please just halt the audio engine before switching oversampling amounts.

Here are my initial test results: I ran a single copy of The Glue with x16 oversampling with 40% cpu limit at 32 samples and it worked just fine for ages in PT8 taking a maximum of 0.3 of a second to process (30% of a single core) with the user interface already open and the needle animating. However, when I moved the mouse over the interface for the first time the audio engine halted immediately, even though processing of audio didn't take any longer at all. Once over the interface things were fine again, even with frantic moving of the knobs there was no increase in time taken by The Glue to process audio. I'm going to ask Avid what is going on, since I'm not impacting the audio thread at all then I have no idea why the audio engine is halting like it is. I have completely decoupled the audio processing from the gui in my code using "lock free" methods to make sure you get optimal performance even under heavy load and confirmed that each function call that passes information between gui -> dsp or dsp -> gui is blindingly fast and doesn't hold anything up at all.

As you have pointed out the Audio Unit version is fine, but it is exactly the same code at my end apart from a very thin layer of abstraction of the RTAS and Audio Unit interfaces, very odd indeed.

Last edited by andy-cytomic; 12th March 2011 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 17th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Simply fantastic! Thank you.
Old 18th March 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
You're welcome!
Old 18th March 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Good news on the PT8 cpu spikes. Everything is fixed now, and I've also added support for switching between different oversampling amounts on the fly as well without holding anything up.

It turns out the main culprit was in the graphics library I'm using called Juce, which had switched over to using CoreGraphics internally, but this was causing some weird holdups. I switched it back to using Juce's own ultra efficient internal software rendering engine and like magic all the spikes are gone

I'll roll out a new build for everyone by Friday next week (25th March).
Old 19th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Good news on the PT8 cpu spikes. Everything is fixed now, and I've also added support for switching between different oversampling amounts on the fly as well without holding anything up.

It turns out the main culprit was in the graphics library I'm using called Juce, which had switched over to using CoreGraphics internally, but this was causing some weird holdups. I switched it back to using Juce's own ultra efficient internal software rendering engine and like magic all the spikes are gone

I'll roll out a new build for everyone by Friday next week (25th March).
Old 20th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Andy. Just bought THE GLUE. Love it and am looking forward to the update-t

one question:
I noticed an level needle in the VU (a yellow peak level hold) on the demo but not on the full version. Was that something extra in the demo or is there a setting I'm not seeing?

thanks and am still loving it-2 buss as well as SC Comp on Kik pumps on the Master Bass Buss.

all the best,
kjb
Old 22nd March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

get the latest installer and press right mouse button on the VU. you will get those yellow needle
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Thanks Andivax A left click should also toggle the yellow "peak hold" needle as well, and the setting is saved with your song. I added this to give a clearer picture of the level of compression for those more used to digital vu meters. The main needle itself is calibrated to have the same movement and smoothing of a physical vu needle, for those that are familiar with looking at analog hardware needles.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Andivax A left click should also toggle the yellow "peak hold" needle as well, and the setting is saved with your song. I added this to give a clearer picture of the level of compression for those more used to digital vu meters. The main needle itself is calibrated to have the same movement and smoothing of a physical vu needle, for those that are familiar with looking at analog hardware needles.
actually i use those yellow needle very often! it helps me alot instead of standard needle. good feauture, Andy!
Old 23rd March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Andy - if you're looking for extra features I would love to have an analogue knob like on the DCAM synths so that heavy compression would add extra noise. This is one of the things that some people may see as a fault but I think it is one of the best things about analogue gear.

For that matter, I would love a separate plugin product that just layers different analogue style noise on top of the source sound. Something a bit like SoundToys Decapitator, only for adding noise and ground hum etc. I'm sure you could do an amazing filter plugin too...
Old 25th March 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: an update for The Glue now available that will hopefully fix not just some cpu spikes that ProTools users have been reporting, but also help with all hosts. I've stress tested it all at my end but I've had limited user feedback, so please let me know how it goes for you:

The Glue updated to v1.1.4
* New: smoothed Threshold, Makeup, Range, Mix, and Sidechain HP controls so no pops, clicks, or zipper noise when adjusted from gui or automated
* Fixed: removed CPU spikes when drawing the graphical user interface on Mac * Fixed: removed CPU spikes on first play, and when switching oversampling amounts
* Fixed: preset menu not showing with some hosts on PPC
* Fixed: reduced memory footprint with large oversampling amounts with large host buffer sizes
* Known issue: you cannot use both the AU and VST version at the same time in hosts that support both (eg: Ableton Live or Studio One)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cheers Andy... will check shortly!!!

Hey Andy, not a biggy, as I like to use ears.. go figure, but I don't see a yellow meter with the rtas version (PT 9.0.2)
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx ➑️
Cheers Andy... will check shortly!!!

Hey Andy, not a biggy, as I like to use ears.. go figure, but I don't see a yellow meter with the rtas version (PT 9.0.2)
Just click anywhere on the vu meter to toggle display of the peak meter
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the needle help. Looking forward to the update . I'm finding a couple of weird lockups in Logic running multiple inst's (3)-2 Mono in Tracks, 1 ST in Buss) of The Glue in separate tracks (Logic 9.1.3-SL OSX 10.6.7). The problem solved when I removed The Glue-also no oversampling was running.
After reinst just on the Buss, worked fine-is it that CPU intensive that 3 Glues jamm things up? I'll gives a heads up back here after this update-maybe that's the fix.
The Glue does sound great and am loving it.

all the best,
kjb
Old 26th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just click anywhere on the vu meter to toggle display of the peak meter
Yeah, this isn't working on the RTAS version for me.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just installed it under PT9 and rtas seems to be working fine.
L.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx ➑️
Yeah, this isn't working on the RTAS version for me.
Can I please just check that you have audio going through the plugin when you click on the vu meter to toggle the peak needle? Also which version of The Glue are you using? The yellow peak needle draws underneath the white rms needle, so unless there is a difference between the two due to the peak compression being more than the rms you won't see the yellow needle.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo ➑️
I just installed it under PT9 and rtas seems to be working fine.
L.
Thanks Lenzo!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Andy, there appears to be a bug with 1.1.4 and Logic 9.1.3. I'm using OS 10.6.7.

When you load a preset, the settings remain at the default and the meter doesn't respond but the sound is changing as you go through the presets.

I went back to 1.1.3 and problem went away.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe ➑️
Andy, there appears to be a bug with 1.1.4 and Logic 9.1.3. I'm using OS 10.6.7.

When you load a preset, the settings remain at the default and the meter doesn't respond but the sound is changing as you go through the presets.

This happens with Softube's TSAR-1, too. Maybe it's a newer version of the JUCE framework causing problems?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Andy, great work!
Was there email notification sent out re: the update? My preference boxes are checked @the website for this but haven't gotten anything from Cytomic directly.

atb,
kjb
Old 27th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Same specs on my rig but am not noticing any problems-I did wonder if The Glue's GUI was going to be changed to meet the outside borders of Logic's plug border in this update-no worries, as long as it keeps on rockin' I'm happy

update-is happening on previous sessions :(
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Thanks for the bug report! I have confirmed this as a bug, and it will happen in all hosts. As a workaround you can close the user interface, then open it again and all the knobs will now be in the correct position. This will be an easy fix so I'll release an update soon.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➑️
This happens with Softube's TSAR-1, too. Maybe it's a newer version of the JUCE framework causing problems?
No this is my issue. I optimised when a redraw would happen by removing some calls that could possibly lead to 2 redraws based on the same update, but I missed manually adding an redraw of the knobs on preset load.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcademyCurve ➑️
Hi Andy, great work!
Was there email notification sent out re: the update? My preference boxes are checked @the website for this but haven't gotten anything from Cytomic directly.

atb,
kjb
I've not yet sent out the email notification to all customers, I'll do that later this week after I release an update to fix the lack of redrawing the knobs on loading a preset.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great Andy.
Looking forward to it.

atb,
kjb
Old 28th March 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: I've got the controls drawing properly on loading a preset load now, and also got the full version to handle running both the AU and VST at the same time if you want. I've repeated the fixes that were included in v1.1.4 and the oversampling below in case people missed them first time around.

The Glue updated to v1.1.5
* Recent feature: smoothed Threshold, Makeup, Range, Mix, and Sidechain HP controls so no pops, clicks, or zipper noise when adjusted from gui or automated
* Recent feature: linear phase high quality oversampling to support up to 12 MHz (x256) – note that x2 is recommended for Realtime and x8 is recommended for Render
* Recent feature: next and previous preset buttons
* Fixed: controls now re-drawn in correct position after loading a preset
* Fixed: you can now use both the AU and VST version at the same time in hosts that support both (eg: Ableton Live or Studio One)
* Fixed: removed CPU spikes when drawing the graphical user interface on Mac
* Fixed: removed CPU spikes on first play, and when switching oversampling amounts
* Fixed: reduced memory footprint with large oversampling amounts with large host buffer sizes
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
News: I've got the controls drawing properly on loading a preset load now, and also got the full version to handle running both the AU and VST at the same time if you want. I've repeated the fixes that were included in v1.1.4 and the oversampling below in case people missed them first time around.

The Glue updated to v1.1.5
* Recent feature: smoothed Threshold, Makeup, Range, Mix, and Sidechain HP controls so no pops, clicks, or zipper noise when adjusted from gui or automated
* Recent feature: linear phase high quality oversampling to support up to 12 MHz (x256) – note that x2 is recommended for Realtime and x8 is recommended for Render
* Recent feature: next and previous preset buttons
* Fixed: controls now re-drawn in correct position after loading a preset
* Fixed: you can now use both the AU and VST version at the same time in hosts that support both (eg: Ableton Live or Studio One)
* Fixed: removed CPU spikes when drawing the graphical user interface on Mac
* Fixed: removed CPU spikes on first play, and when switching oversampling amounts
LEGEND!

Graham
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The care taken in keeping this plug at it's best is amazing. Thanks Andy.

I'm curious though about the suggested oversampling rates. I'm not overly knowledgeable with the techie details (aliasing, etc), why the different rates for render and realtime? All my bounces are done in realtime as I use outboard gear, but isn't a higher setting, in theory, better? I notice quite a difference from none to x2, but after that they all sound pretty good to me. It's certainly not a night and day difference.
Just curious.

Also, I'll put my vote in for variable linked L/R processing (or at least a stereo/dual mono option) as I've seen that come up.

Looking very forward to seeing what you're got in store down the pipe for the next plug. Keep it up!
πŸ“ Reply