Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 59 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 21st February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
B seems cleaner, better low end, nicer ambience, more bounce to the rhythm.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
B seems to be a bit more open, unless itΒ΄s all in my head...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Listening test:

I've attached two files, one is done at x4 the other at x16, both have exactly the same settings on exactly the same audio. I have also added the difference between the two files. We have loads of excellent ears on this thread, so please let us know which of the two you prefer: A, or B? Also please give a quick one line description of why you prefer one over the other, any vague reasons are just fine - this is about your perceptions not science.
I like A. Smoother more natural cymbals. B hihat and crashes sound more...in your face harsh, A sounds more like...hihats and cymbals. Less...noise...

By the way, I love The Glue. I just "discovered" oversampling a couple of weeks ago after using it since October on my own small project. When I kicked in oversampling x8 in realtime, brought my cpu to its knees, but WOW! Really was an OMG moment, was like bringing everything into tighter focus when I didn't even realize it was out. I'm just beyond audio production hack, so I'm learning loads all the time, and thanks Andy for such an amazing tool to sink my ever-eager teeth into.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, the license allows you to run The Glue on two computers at once, if they are both used by you personally, or if you are using them both for a single client. So if you have a studio with multiple systems that each gets used for different clients at once, then you will need to purchase one license per such system. I do not enforce this with invasive copy protection systems. Each copy of The Glue you download is pre-registered and will work on any system you copy it to, so you will never have any downtime, or lost registration information, or run out of auths, or any other such thing to get in the way of you making music.
This is the way it should be, but unfortunately very rarely is. BIG thumbsup
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
"Maybe I should go to an audiologist" was my first reaction...and could still be the case :-))

I"m only listening through PMC DB1S+ and to be honest I can't hear much difference. Maybe I need better monitors.

If push came to shove I would lean ever so slightly towards B because the open hi hat near the start of the beat and the crash decay seem slightly more realistic and have a cleaner decay.

I have a feeling this could end in tears heh
Deleted #157546
I'm not going to even bother commenting.

Half will like A, half will like B and the other half the difference.
Old 22nd February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➑️
I"m only listening through PMC DB1S+ and to be honest I can't hear much difference. Maybe I need better monitors.
If push came to shove I would lean ever so slightly towards B because the open hi hat near the start of the beat and the crash decay seem slightly more realistic and have a cleaner decay.
On the other hand....."maybe" there is more information in A.
In particular the press roll on the snare (or just snare rattle?) between snare hits.
Bottom line, if Andy says they are exactly the same I would believe it !
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I definitely like A, it sounds more natural than B (hihat, that is). B sounds like its boosted in 12k area. As for the kick and room, I can not hear any significant difference, but I will stick to A also. heh

Andy, whats with "difference" file? Is it possible that there is total null after first second of the file or did you not bounce it right?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagalj ➑️
I definitely like A, it sounds more natural than B (hihat, that is). B sounds like its boosted in 12k area. As for the kick and room, I can not hear any significant difference, but I will stick to A also. heh

Andy, whats with "difference" file? Is it possible that there is total null after first second of the file or did you not bounce it right?
Ee***. I just checked the difference file and I see what you mean. Something went wrong with the bounce, really sorry. I'll upload new files immediately. That will serve me right for not double checking the bounced files before uploading them!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey Andy, Just wanted to say I love "The Glue" and use it constantly. Can't wait to see what next.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey Andy: any chance of you making the preset functionality a little more easy to use. I personally think it's a bit of a drag to have to open a window, click on a directory & then choose a setting. it's too Waves like. how about something like the UA stuff? preferably a dropdown...
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Listening test mk2: (really sorry for the wasted time on the first one where I stuffed up the bounces - I have double checked these ones and all is good! I can only just pick the two apart and I'll say why when I let everyone know which is which)

I've attached two files, one is done at x4 the other at x16, both have exactly the same settings on exactly the same audio. I have also added the difference between the two files (phase cancellation = A2-B2 done in the time domain). We have loads of excellent ears on this thread, so please let us know which of the two you prefer: A2, or B2? Also please give a quick one line description of why you prefer one over the other, any vague reasons are just fine - this is about your perceptions not science.
Attached Files

TheGlue_A2.wav (1.10 MB, 178 views)

TheGlue_B2.wav (1.10 MB, 167 views)

TheGlue_Difference2.wav (1.10 MB, 334 views)

Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber ➑️
hey Andy: any chance of you making the preset functionality a little more easy to use. I personally think it's a bit of a drag to have to open a window, click on a directory & then choose a setting. it's too Waves like. how about something like the UA stuff? preferably a dropdown...
Hey Al! Yes, I'm going to improve upon the preset browsing stuff considerably in future updates. The current way is really just a temporary measure to get the plugin released. To make things a bit quicker for now you can copy and paste all the preset files you like to the root preset folder and just click the next / prev buttons to flick through them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy, by any chance are you able to let us know if you have decided on a solution for the GUI? Are you just going to scale it larger to take care of the extra border space in Logic?
Lives for gear

can't hear much difference. Adam S3A here
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➑️
Andy, by any chance are you able to let us know if you have decided on a solution for the GUI? Are you just going to scale it larger to take care of the extra border space in Logic?
same in Digital Performer if I remember correctly...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd ➑️
B seems to be a bit more open, unless itΒ΄s all in my head...
I agree.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can only just pick the two apart.....so please let us know which of the two you prefer: A2, or B2? Also please give a quick one line description of why you prefer one over the other, any vague reasons are just fine - this is about your perceptions not science.
The starting point for me is that I can hear very, very, very little difference.
Andy what monitors do you use ?

I have A2 and B2 in one new file in Peak and looping them back to back I find it virtually impossible to tell any difference.

My preference...well in a photo finish, by a bees dick.......A2...reason...at very low volume the kick and snare may have a tad more presence on the initial attack.

But if I was stuck with B2 I can't imagine it would make much, if any, difference in the context of a mix.

As I said when I responded to test 1, I assume that the difference we are talking about here may be more apparent on better kit than my DB1S+ monitors.

Thanks for taking the time Andy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My preference...well in a photo finish, by a bees dick.......
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
He he! Im also not more than by a bees dick for A2. On my B8a monitors I can not hear any difference, but there is a slight difference on my Senn HD650, seems as the drum is compressed in slightly punchier way on B2. Maybe thats why HH seems to stand out more-.
Anyway, I stick to A2, sounds a tiny bit less compressed and HH sounds tiny, tiny, tiny bit more natural.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll play.

I think that B2 sounds like it has a better attack "click" on the transients, fuller body on the snare and is more natural on the hat.

I just sounds slightly more real to me.

Difference is subtle.

(KRK VXT8's, Apogee Ensemble, KRK Ergo, well treated room)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
B2 is more sizzly in the highs and more open-spacious in general. (by a flying insect's penis, of course) I think B2 is x16.

I think I was wrong on the first clips as well. I listened to a drum track I have, compared between no OS and x16. Brighter highs and more open was x16.

In Andy's A2/B2 files, less sizzle sounds better on my low-end monitors. On my drums and mixes, tho, me like OS.
Old 23rd February 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by perple ➑️
B2 is more sizzly in the highs and more open-spacious in general. (by a flying insect's penis, of course) I think B2 is x16.

I think I was wrong on the first clips as well. I listened to a drum track I have, compared between no OS and x16. Brighter highs and more open was x16.

In Andy's A2/B2 files, less sizzle sounds better on my low-end monitors. On my drums and mixes, tho, me like OS.
You are right, x4 = A2, and x16 = B2
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The starting point for me is that I can hear very, very, very little difference.
Andy what monitors do you use ?

I have A2 and B2 in one new file in Peak and looping them back to back I find it virtually impossible to tell any difference.

My preference...well in a photo finish, by a bees dick.......A2...reason...at very low volume the kick and snare may have a tad more presence on the initial attack....
I've got an RME Fireface 400 into Genelec 8020bpm speakers here on my desktop, which is where I picked the difference. I have Hafler TRM-8II's in the studio.

I agree with you that it is very difficult to tell the difference. I feel that the difference between 44100 and 88200, ie Off and x2, is the biggest, and then it is diminishing returns afterwards.

Thanks for everyone that posted. There was a comment with regards x16 sounding more "plastic" than x4 that I wanted to check. Perhaps this may be true of some source material, but from what everyone has replied in the A2 B2 test is that there really isn't much difference at all.

I think x2 for realtime and x8 for render ie the recommended settings are a pretty safe bet for set and forget operation (if your host does automatic latency compensation)
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➑️
Yes, I am going to re-render the gui slightly larger to fill the horizontal space needed by most daws. This will also allow me to make more room for better preset browsing.

This is still a way off since it makes more sense to do this at the same time I do the gui for the new plugin.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, I am going to re-render the gui slightly larger to fill the horizontal space needed by most daws. This will also allow me to make more room for better preset browsing.

This is still a way off since it makes more sense to do this at the same time I do the gui for the new plugin.

Excellent

When ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you Andy, looking forward to it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Recently I've had a couple of reports of CPU in PT 9 spikes when moving controls on The Glue, or opening the GUI, both of which leads to a halting of the audio engine. I take this very seriously and I'm looking into it right now. I'll let you know what I find. If you are just processing audio without moving the controls everything is fine.
Note that a few parameters are attached to this issue. While we haven't tested The Glue yet, many plugins cause CPU spikes in PT9 at a certain load. Also, we notice a big difference in PT9 performance when delay compensation is set to HIGH, which seems to put more strain on the system.
I just downloaded The Glue demo versions, and hope to give some feedback on this.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➑️
Note that a few parameters are attached to this issue. While we haven't tested The Glue yet, many plugins cause CPU spikes in PT9 at a certain load. Also, we notice a big difference in PT9 performance when delay compensation is set to HIGH, which seems to put more strain on the system.
I just downloaded The Glue demo versions, and hope to give some feedback on this.
Hi Leon. Thanks for the post. Please drop me a line so I can assign you an NFR of The Glue, as the trial is time limited and doesn't expose parameters to the host, so you can't really help debug the situation with it.

Another thing to note is that I am able to get spikes with PT8 as well. I have used high precision timers and can confirm it is not the dsp core of The Glue causing issues, even when wild parameter automation would not budge the maximum process time taken per block past a small fraction of the total cpu. I have coded the entire core of The Glue to be "lock free" so there are no semphores, or memory allocation, or anything else to cause priority inversions and spikes that I know of, but the interactions between my code, and the Juce library I'm using, and PT itself are complex.

As soon as I have more information I will let people know. Hopefully this can be resolved within a few weeks and I can post an update, but if the issues lies outside The Glue then it may take longer to resolve. My money is on it being some weird graphics issue.
Old 11th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hey andy - am loving your plug on the mix bus - the oversampling mode sounds great. I'm getting the previously mentioned cpu spikes and subsequent error messages though every time I open the plug or tweak a a parameter in pt 9 on mac 10.6.5 - any update on when a fix might be available? works perfect in logic 9.

on another note if you were ever going to add any other features top of my list would be variable linking - then it would be perfect!

keep up the great workthumbsup
πŸ“ Reply