🎧 15 years
Cytomic76!!

Bring it
Old 18th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
That is a really cool name! How about I give you a free copy of the plugin if I do a limiter and use it?

As for an 1176 model, I know that there are quite a few out there already, but like Marando pointed out, there were quite a few SSL bus comps out there before The Glue as well!

@andivax @DaVogi @Marando thanks for the suggestions!
Wasn't that "The Crunch" ;-) *hint*
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 ➑️
i definitely want a Cytomic 1176 !

no single 1176 plugin has the attack of the real deal in my opinion, and i've tried them all. (softube / waves / stillwell ...)

here's a sample from a hardware Mohog 1176
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324852/Sq...rum%20buss.wav
Definitely agree with you. How can all those plugins sound so different if they 'model' the original or its recent UA hardware incarnation? The proof of the Glue being awesome is exactly because it is so close to the original

I have a couple of UA1176 and none of those plugins is really close to the hardware, more like 'somehow'.

If Andy did the same excellent job in recreating the 1176 as he did on the ssl comp, I'd buy his plugin in a heartbeat.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam ➑️
Definitely agree with you. How can all those plugins sound so different if they 'model' the original or its recent UA hardware incarnation? The proof of the Glue being awesome is exactly because it is so close to the original

I have a couple of UA1176 and none of those plugins is really close to the hardware, more like 'somehow'.

If Andy did the same excellent job in recreating the 1176 as he did on the ssl comp, I'd buy his plugin in a heartbeat.
No two units sound the same. I personally think there are enough good ones out there atm so I'm wanting to see something experimental rather than modelled... a la McDSP's incarnations.

Old 19th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 ➑️
No two units sound the same. I personally think there are enough good ones out there atm so I'm wanting to see something experimental rather than modelled... a la McDSP's incarnations.

You're talking about the UREIs I'm guessing, which I would agree on. I've used those but never owned one. OTH, the UA1176s are pretty consistent with negligible audible differences, if any.
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Honestly, what would make total sense is doing the SSL Channel Compression.
That way, he can keep the same plugin and just add to the name brand as ,
The Glue (Buss Compression = BC) and The Glue (Channel Compression = CC)
That would make more sense as his ears are now tuned to the SSL compression.
Time to finish it off completely....

Andy, gotta say that, the new Glue is by far the best yet. It keeps getting better and better.
Now, last thing on this would be the preset mapping but, I say, leave it to the DAW programs and just put your presets in their folders and call it.
Move on to the next as you are on a roll my friend.
I can honestly say, I'm now a converted Waves SSL Buss Compressor user to
"The Glue"!!!!

Great Job!!!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Kinda feel bad for that guy that built 24 channels of GSSL for his DIY console...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E ➑️
Honestly, what would make total sense is doing the SSL Channel Compression.
That way, he can keep the same plugin and just add to the name brand as ,
The Glue (Buss Compression = BC) and The Glue (Channel Compression = CC)
That would make more sense as his ears are now tuned to the SSL compression.
i think the SSL bus comp and SSL channel comp are both VCA type compressors

it would make more sense to do something else. 1176 is a FET type compressor.

don't know about the Distressor. maybe it's FET or VCA, depending on settings ?
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

yeah, i totally forgot the distressor in my list... would be great and there is no direct plugin contender at the moment!
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i think the SSL bus comp and SSL channel comp are both VCA type compressors

it would make more sense to do something else. 1176 is a FET type compressor.

don't know about the Distressor. maybe it's FET or VCA, depending on settings ?
Yeah, maybe but, the Channel Strip compression is different sounding. Not as thick as the Buss compression but, has an incredible sound.... Where some of the magic comes from.

Just my thoughts....

Marc
Old 20th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
And I'm still hoping for a Cytomic clone of the Roland Dimension D. =)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
please forget those 1176 and another SSL Comp Emulations!

DO THE DISSTRESSOR ANDY!
everything else isnt special enuff
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Yeah please put the distressor on the top of your list
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton ➑️
It does make sense I guess. Andy said he had plans on making an 1176 emulation, and if it's going to be as good as The Glue is, it's going to be a killer. But, if he can make a Distressor emulation that nails the original, it's going to be even more interesting!!

But then again, if Andy is going to make an 1176 emulation, he probably will ad some extra features, like he did with The Glue, and that makes it perhaps already something special!

Can't wait, that's for sure!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droogs ➑️
please forget those 1176 and another ssl comp emulations!

Do the disstressor andy!
Everything else isnt special enuff
+1 do it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
it seems to me the 1176 is simpler in design than a Distressor. a Distressor may be harder to model.

Don't forget the Distressor EMULATES a 1176, and is considered by some to be not so high-end.

and don't forget Andy will do whatever the **** he'll want
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Don't forget the Distressor EMULATES a 1176, and is considered by some to be not so high-end.
have you ever used a distressor? yes, it can do some 1176ish sounds/styles (eg nuke is some kind of all-button-in-mode) but is much more variable and flexible.... so I really wouldn't say it emulates a 1176, thats just a flavor you could get out of it... besides LOOOOTS of other sounds.

btw. it may not sound 100% like a 1176, but its definitely high end!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i retract my 1176 statement... distressor would be better!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi ➑️
yeah, i totally forgot the distressor in my list... would be great and there is no direct plugin contender at the moment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton ➑️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando ➑️
But, if he can make a Distressor emulation that nails the original, it's going to be even more interesting!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Presley ➑️
i retract my 1176 statement... distressor would be better!
+1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
it seems to me the 1176 is simpler in design than a Distressor. a Distressor may be harder to model.
Absolutely correct considering that Andy used "component modeling" to create the Glue. You need the correct schematic to do this and there are plenty of schematics of the SSL type buss compressors out there, but there aren't any schematics of the Distressor to work from. There was one that had been reverse engineered on Group DIY, but it was removed at the request of Empirical Labs.

An 1176 is more likely, but as you said, Andy will do his own thing, and I hope that he does
Old 21st October 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty ➑️
Hi Andy, I just noticed something last night while trying out the new Glue. I had it set to no oversampling for realtime and x2 for rendering (tracks recorded at 24/44.1) and noticed that oversampling was being applied during realtime playback on the plugin instance across my master buss. The odd thing is that another instance of the Glue on a mono track had the same settings but wasn't oversampling; in other words, it was working correctly as it was set. I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, using Reaper 3.71. Reaper and all my plugins are 32 bit versions (including the Glue). Let me know if you need any more info about this.

And I can't post in this forum without saying that The Glue rules!
Hi kingocounty - I have tested Reaper and all is working fine here for offline render. Can you please confirm you have configured Reaper correctly to report when it is doing offline renders to plugins as indicated in the attached image?
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-reaper-offline.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel c ➑️
Absolutely correct considering that Andy used "component modeling" to create the Glue. You need the correct schematic to do this and there are plenty of schematics of the SSL type buss compressors out there, but there aren't any schematics of the Distressor to work from. There was one that had been reverse engineered on Group DIY, but it was removed at the request of Empirical Labs.

An 1176 is more likely, but as you said, Andy will do his own thing, and I hope that he does
I would like to see Cytomic 1176, Cytomic 2500, Cytomic EQ and Cytomic Limiter. :D I hope I don't ask to much, haha. But I would buy whole bundle without thinking if all other plug-in's would be on same level as The Glue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LA-2A? Since i still haven't found a good alternative to waves and uad, it wouldn't be such a bad stategy? just a thought.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi kingocounty - I have tested Reaper and all is working fine here for offline render. Can you please confirm you have configured Reaper correctly to report when it is doing offline renders to plugins as indicated in the attached image?
Thanks Andy, I'm out of province right now but I'm flying home today and will check that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Andy -

apparently the GUI issue in Digital Performer in Mac OS 4.11 PPC is still there. I moved to an Intel Mac Pro with Snow Leopard & of course my issues went away. someone posted about this issue on MOTUNation today. since Slate is having the same issue on all of their plugins and you guys are both using the same structure (Juice?) you should get together to address it. it's very annoying...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Nice review in the new Nov. edition of SOS.
Product Review - Cytomic The Glue
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin J. ➑️
Nice review in the new Nov. edition of SOS.
Product Review - Cytomic The Glue
The only thing I don't like about the review is he used unrealistic settings in comparing it to the Waves SSL. The reviewer mentioned The Glue was designed to copy the sound of an SSL compressor. Then that it did not sound exactly the same as it was missing some mojo of the hardware. He then used very strong settings on some things he said the Waves SSL sounded flat in comparrison. The Waves SSL needs to be set up with mid ratio and careful theshold settings. It then can be killer on drums, or with a lower ratio to be good on a 2 bus. The settings he used on some of the examples I would never use on any of my compressors.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah, that is kind of odd I agree.
I also didn't really care for the Con section stating that VST3 wasn't implemented. There are only a handful of VST's that have even implemented VST3 as of recent. Not a big Con, though, but still.
Old 22nd October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks Andy, I looked at my preferences and that option wasn't checked; I checked it and re-started Reaper but the issue remains. Both instances of the Glue in this picture have the same oversampling settings.

I'm also very willing to entertain the idea that I may be doing something wrong!
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-glue-oversampling.jpg  
Old 22nd October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years

Better still a UBK version of the Distressor.
πŸ“ Reply