The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 15th October 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankreverbo ➑️
?? I didn't understand
Yeah a bit tired here so didn't reply with the humour it deserved, I wasn't really worried about your understanding I just wanted to be very clear about this since otherwise, taken out of context, things can spiral out of control in no time
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
thanks for the update !

The Glue with oversampling on is a hint clearer / more defined. i did some cancellation test and found the main difference is in the attack.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Yeah a bit tired here so didn't reply with the humour it deserved, I wasn't really worried about your understanding I just wanted to be very clear about this since otherwise, taken out of context, things can spiral out of control in no time
So you mean the plug WILL NOT be usable as TDM but only as RTAS and that version (in the Pro Tools HD environment) will have best performance? I don't understand, at this point, why the RTAS version will perform better in HD. Isn't it the same for the CPU both in LE and HD?
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Coool!
Thanx for the update, Andy.

If you still want to improve the glue you could do something to switch faster between presets (even i really use Β΄em seldom, it yould make the glue imho the perfect comp).

Thanx again, for the nice oversampling feature! If i use 44,1 kHz only, do i need oversampling at all? Sorry for the noob question!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl ➑️
If i use 44,1 kHz only, do i need oversampling at all? Sorry for the noob question!
In theory, yes. You may like or not the sound of aliasing and believe it or not sometimes it may sound better with some material. If you're working at 44.1kHz and turn oversampling on, at x2, you'll make The Glue work at 88.2kHz which is enough most of the time. I wouldn't save it as default with x2 oversampling though, my approach with most of these plug-ins with such feature is: tweak the plug-in with OS off and then switch to x2, x4, etc., if it really sounds better with higher values then I just stay there (like I said, sometimes it's not necessary at all and in this case, with The Glue, it already sounds incredibly good without it).

Hope that helps. Cheers.
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➑️
In theory, yes. You may like or not the sound of aliasing and believe it or not sometimes it may sound better with some material. If you're working at 44.1kHz and turn oversampling on, at x2, you'll make The Glue work at 88.2kHz which is enough most of the time. I wouldn't save it as default with x2 oversampling though, my approach with most of these plug-ins with such feature is: tweak the plug-in with OS off and then switch to x2, x4, etc., if it really sounds better with higher values then I just stay there (like I said, sometimes it's not necessary at all and in this case, with The Glue, it already sounds incredibly good without it).

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Ok, thanx for you explanation!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wow you Rock Andy !

Downloading now, just in time for finishing today's session

Well done again for the good work AND your classy support !

all the best

Adrien.

PS : Thx Copperx for the translation mate
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yup, you continue to impress! I'm looking forward to whatever you release next!
Old 16th October 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So you mean the plug WILL NOT be usable as TDM but only as RTAS and that version (in the Pro Tools HD environment) will have best performance? I don't understand, at this point, why the RTAS version will perform better in HD. Isn't it the same for the CPU both in LE and HD?
There is only an RTAS version of The Glue, and v1.1.0 includes a fix for a bug only some people were having with Pro Tools.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Okay, I'm embarrassed to say this, but I'm confused by this 64 bit thing. I'm on DP7, which is not 64 bit (yet) so should I use the 32 bit Mac version or still use the 64 bit Mac version? Will the 64 bit parameters even work in a 32 bit DAW?
Thanks for any help on this!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl ➑️
Coool!
Thanx for the update, Andy.

If you still want to improve the glue you could do something to switch faster between presets (even i really use Β΄em seldom, it yould make the glue imho the perfect comp).

Thanx again, for the nice oversampling feature! If i use 44,1 kHz only, do i need oversampling at all? Sorry for the noob question!
Hey adl, thanks for the feedback. Better preset handling is still on the todo list

Lots of the time shouldn't need oversampling as The Glue is already very high quality. If you are running at 44.1 kHz the best place to start trying it out will be on your master bus or drum bus as the oversampling really helps to smooth out the high frequencies nicely. Then, if you have a track that needs lots of compression with fast attack and release times then it may also benefit from oversampling. It is easy to flick between the different settings and test out how much difference it makes.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax ➑️
Okay, I'm embarrassed to say this, but I'm confused by this 64 bit thing. I'm on DP7, which is not 64 bit (yet) so should I use the 32 bit Mac version or still use the 64 bit Mac version? Will the 64 bit parameters even work in a 32 bit DAW?
Thanks for any help on this!
It shouldn't matter which one you use as the audio quality is identical. The 64-bits here does not refer to the precision of processing, but if the application can access > 4GB of RAM (memory). Just download one of them and see if it loads in your host, otherwise use the other one :-) The Mac64Au has both the 64-bit Intel Au and 32-bit Intel Au inside it, and the MacAu has both the PPC Au and 32-bit Intel Au inside it. I'm pretty sure that DP7 is only a 32-bit application.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There is only an RTAS version of The Glue, and v1.1.0 includes a fix for a bug only some people were having with Pro Tools.
Really hope you will do a TDM version in the future... RTAS on aux in PT HD eats a lot of voices...
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Really hope you will do a TDM version in the future... RTAS on aux in PT HD eats a lot of voices...
+1
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey adl, thanks for the feedback. Better preset handling is still on the todo list

Lots of the time shouldn't need oversampling as The Glue is already very high quality. If you are running at 44.1 kHz the best place to start trying it out will be on your master bus or drum bus as the oversampling really helps to smooth out the high frequencies nicely. Then, if you have a track that needs lots of compression with fast attack and release times then it may also benefit from oversampling. It is easy to flick between the different settings and test out how much difference it makes.
Thanx Andy, really love the way the glue sounds and find myself using it on more and more sources. The possibility to turn oversampling on and off quickly is really helpful to see when it is needed and when not.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Ok... I have a possibly silly question.

If you update The Glue 1.019 to 1.1.0 will my compressor settings be lost in my Cubase files I used The Glue on?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dave ➑️
Ok... I have a possibly silly question.

If you update The Glue 1.019 to 1.1.0 will my compressor settings be lost in my Cubase files I used The Glue on?
Nope!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Andy, I just noticed something last night while trying out the new Glue. I had it set to no oversampling for realtime and x2 for rendering (tracks recorded at 24/44.1) and noticed that oversampling was being applied during realtime playback on the plugin instance across my master buss. The odd thing is that another instance of the Glue on a mono track had the same settings but wasn't oversampling; in other words, it was working correctly as it was set. I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, using Reaper 3.71. Reaper and all my plugins are 32 bit versions (including the Glue). Let me know if you need any more info about this.

And I can't post in this forum without saying that The Glue rules!
Old 17th October 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Thanks kingocounty for letting me know about the incorrect behaviour in Reaper. I'll look into it further to see what is going on, but it sounds like it should be easily fixed - you have provided all the info I need to get started, but if I need any extra info I'll get in contact
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As The Glue is often used in the final stages of the processing chain I understand how useful it would be to have a TDM version. Once I have established Cytomic a bit more and have finished a few more native plugins I will have a look into the business case for doing TDM versions of plugins as their own separate products.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Once I have established Cytomic a bit more and have finished a few more native plugins...
..which of course includes an affordable, native, donglefree 1176 emu, no?
Lives for gear

cool update!
now we need a new preset system

Andy, how about Cytomic The Limiter?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax ➑️
cool update!
now we need a new preset system

Andy, how about Cytomic The Limiter?
More somthing like: Cytomic The Wall
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
mhm... already enough good limiters out there I guess (sonnox, elephant, xenon, the new stuff from slate and fabfilter).... but I do like the name "the wall" :-)

1176 land pretty much coverd by waves, uad, softube, stillwell.... IMHO

something quick and easy to dial in like massey ct4 would be nice outside pro tools land, altough the glue can handle most of that tasks anyways...

so maybe something smoother like an opto (la2a/la3a with a little more control like tla100) or another/better version of api 2500 (I like the waves version, but I guess you could do better and of course and waves isn't my favorite company...)

eq is more or less a dead end IMHO: great transparent choices like equality, fab-q, sonnox... and for the rest it is hard to beat nebula

damit, too much offtopic, sorry about that *gg*
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi
mhm... already enough good limiters out there I guess (sonnox, elephant, xenon, the new stuff from slate and fabfilter).... but I do like the name "the wall" :-)

1176 land pretty much coverd by waves, uad, softube, stillwell.... IMHO

something quick and easy to dial in like massey ct4 would be nice outside pro tools land, altough the glue can handle most of that tasks anyways...

so maybe something smoother like an opto (la2a/la3a with a little more control like tla100) or another/better version of api 2500 (I like the waves version, but I guess you could do better and of course and waves isn't my favorite company...)

eq is more or less a dead end IMHO: great transparent choices like equality, fab-q, sonnox... and for the rest it is hard to beat nebula

damit, too much offtopic, sorry about that *gg*
The 1176 might be covered by Waves/Softube/Uaudio and others, I think there is room for an affordable 1176 compressor emulation that beats the current best 1176 emulation, like The Glue beats the Waves SSL bus compressor! A better api 2500 emulation would be great too, altough I'm happy with the Waves version.

Since Nebula is not a great option for a lot of people (to much hassle and cpu load), a great native EQ as good as the UAD Massive Passive would be more then welcome!!! :-)
Old 18th October 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambiz ➑️
More somthing like: Cytomic The Wall
That is a really cool name! How about I give you a free copy of the plugin if I do a limiter and use it?

As for an 1176 model, I know that there are quite a few out there already, but like Marando pointed out, there were quite a few SSL bus comps out there before The Glue as well!

@andivax @DaVogi @Marando thanks for the suggestions!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That is a really cool name! How about I give you a free copy of the plugin if I do a limiter and use it?
that would be great! thanks :D
but do not bother using it. we all would just be very grateful if you do more plugins
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Andy, you did it!
Thanx for adding the oversampling option.
Now I know, I have the best vst compressor in the market.
There is not another one that beats The glue.
Thanks again for your effort and for taking so much consideration for your costumers.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jkn ➑️
..which of course includes an affordable, native, donglefree 1176 emu, no?
That would be the Stillwell Rocket.

I have the Rocket and the Waves CLA-76.

Both great....horses for courses.

As for the next Cytomic plugin........why not stay on the SSL journey and do the G Series eq.

What to call it.... a name that compliments the Glue....

The Putty....the eq...... that....... fills in all the cracks.......

cheers
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i definitely want a Cytomic 1176 !

no single 1176 plugin has the attack of the real deal in my opinion, and i've tried them all. (softube / waves / stillwell ...)

here's a sample from a hardware Mohog 1176
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324852/Sq...rum%20buss.wav
πŸ“ Reply