Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 8th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
Please ignore this dude.

- c
Did i made you realised you worked for Andy for free?

Sure it might be a good plug-in for a good price but i've followed the thread from time to time and realised this : free R&D on internet. Is that the way thing are done now? I'm asking guys....

It's all good for Andy and i might even try and buy the thing one day but for now i rarely need plug-ins.

If you guys did get the plug-in for free then it's a whole other story.

Then again
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777Artin ➑️

Sure it might be a good plug-in for a good price but i've followed the thread from time to time and realised this : free R&D on internet. Is that the way thing are done now? I'm asking guys....

It's all good for Andy and i might even try and buy the thing one day but for now i rarely need plug-ins.

Then again

That's a good try to get this plugin free sir, but I'm not sure you gonna achieve what you started here......Oups sorry, did I make you realized what your post was really after ?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Then again
You wouldn't believe the amount of time I spent sitting in front of a computer staring at code trying to get the attack and release coefficients just right while at the same time minimizing aliasing reflecting back from the Nyquist.

Oh wait, no, actually I spent the entire time using an absurdly inexpensive, high quality tool, making music and providing constructive feedback to a responsive developer who wanted to improve upon something that was already good, and even though he already had my money...

In other words... what is your problem, dude? Don't you need to go start a UAD vs. native thread somewhere or something?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey there GS members,

am i right by saying you guys here on GS did the R&D on this thing?
It is called beta-testing.
Or bug report.

Quote:
What did you guys get for such a service?
A killer plugin
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

It's one of the best or maybe even THE best plug-in comp available...and it cost only 99$. If it was made by some other known developer (for instance Softube) it would cost at least 300$ ...so for the rest of the money it's fair to support the developer by mentioning those things >>> apart from buying the plug-in.
Old 8th October 2010
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777Artin
Hey there GS members,

am i right by saying you guys here on GS did the R&D on this thing?

Yeah free R&D for Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you guys get for such a service?

777artin
Wow, you have a serious problem with reality dude!

Andy listens to his customers, answering questions, reacts fast when we find a problem, and actually takes suggestions serious and some of them he implemented in his compressor! He is making customers happy and the updates are free! In my book that is called superb customer support!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Then again
LOL who do you think your dealing with Microsoft?
Old 9th October 2010 | Show parent
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Plugin crashing Pro Tools HD

Hey Andy,

For some odd reason, the latest plugin is crashing Pro Tools.
The only thing I've added to Pro Tools in the last months are,
The IK Software, VCC, and McDsp Filterbank.
Don't know why that would cause issues.
I took every plugin out and just had yours and the Stereo Dithered Mixer in and still, it crashed.
I tried a brand new session, still the same issue.
Is any one else having this issue?

Thanx...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E ➑️
Hey Andy,

For some odd reason, the latest plugin is crashing Pro Tools.
The only thing I've added to Pro Tools in the last months are,
The IK Software, VCC, and McDsp Filterbank.
Don't know why that would cause issues.
I took every plugin out and just had yours and the Stereo Dithered Mixer in and still, it crashed.
I tried a brand new session, still the same issue.
Is any one else having this issue?

Thanx...
I had the same problem, the older version works though. I'm on PTHD
7.4, Intel Mac.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
@M2E @marchhare Can you both please email me Contact | Cytomic ? I think I've found the issue and want to send you some test builds to see if it fixes things at your end.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Then again
Welcome to the future bro.... where you can buy incredibly affordable, fantastic sounding audio software directly from the developer... a developer who listens to feedback from his customers and responds by improving and updating. I love the future!

- Hugo
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Andy, just sent you an email. Hoping to hear from ya.

Thanx

Marc
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie ➑️
Welcome to the future bro.... where you can buy incredibly affordable, fantastic sounding audio software directly from the developer... a developer who listens to feedback from his customers and responds by improving and updating. I love the future!

- Hugo
And a developper who uses his customers as his R&D dept.

I also really love the future.

777artin
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

777artin
Where the hell does this come from? This plugin is absolutely stunning, and it's great that a developer like Andy is able to get this much attention for his awesome product, while other companies have the financial abilities to do large scale advertising and pay big bucks to link famous faces or brands to their products. Using customers as R&D dept... don't be silly.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And if the band gives me notes about my mix, they can put mixing credit for themselves, right?

🎧 15 years
Lets not feed the troll eh
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777Artin

777artin
This person is truly the worst kind of moron: the kind who imagines himself to be clever and cunning.

Do not engage in dialogue. You'll waste your own time and allow a perfectly civil and productive thread to get ugly.

- c
Old 10th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not that Andy needs me or anyone to rush to his defence.

BUT......

R+D.

Research And Development.

Lets just under stand this shall we.

Andy is doing the RESEARCH into how to best DEVELOP his product.

His CUSTOMERS are providing FEEDBACK into how good or badly his R+D is going.

Its called. CLIENT / CUSTOMER relations.

So the only person doing R+D here is Andy.

His customers are getting CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Perhaps a better understanding and grasp of simple words/terms and ideas would stop you from further placing your foot in mouth.

Gareth
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^^^^^^
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have noticed a growth in the number of trolls. I wonder what drives them? Bad economy? Jealous of others' success? Elections coming up?

I must say, when people dump on the threads of top notch and highly AFFORDABLE gear, I'm flummoxed. In this particular case, this $99 plugin stopped me from springing for an SSL fg384 at a time when I couldn't afford one. This plugin is a price/performance leader, and I'll stop there.

Last edited by bigfurry; 10th October 2010 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: Don't want to feed the troll
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Then again
Well, I know where you comming from, in fact, many corporations like to outsource work to stupid customers, because they work for free, which raises the profits.

But in this case I can not agree with you. I don't think that Andy exploits his customers... a great sounding plugin for an ok price and a good customer communication and the will to improve an overall working plugin is what I see here.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Thanks everyone for chipping in

I just wanted to clarify my development practices for those that are interested. These same practices are used by very successful large and small companies alike since they are sound and useful, and can be classified under a few different names that roughly sum up what I am about:

Iterative and incremental development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agile software development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Extreme Programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In summary I try to break functionality down into small chunks that I deliver to the customer and then listen to feedback before moving on to the next chunk. But in more technical speak I try to do the following:

1) customer satisfaction by rapid, continuous delivery of useful software
2) value compatibility and working software over adding features
3) close, open, and daily cooperation between customers and developer
3) continuous attention to technical excellence and good design
4) simplicity
5) regular adaptation to changing circumstances

As quite rightly already pointed out I do the research and development, and my customers give me feedback, usually very positive. Whenever I release software that I feel might not be production ready I label it as "beta" so my customers are informed of the risk, but I always have at the top of the download list a stable version for them to use.

Supporting the multitude of different hosts and hardware platforms is a very difficult task. There is no way I could do it as a single developer without help, so I use a framework Juce which takes care of operating system and plugin specific tasks like handling the mouse, drawing on the screen, and support for AU, VST, and RTAS. Many plugin developers also use Juce eg: Slate Digial, Future Audio Workshop, Cyclic 74, Presonus, Korg, Openlabs, and the list goes on. I actively contribute to Juce by posting any additions or fixes I do back to Jules who wrote it. Since Juce is open source and free for non-commercial use, then beginners can also benefit from all the combined work that is placed into this framework, so I really feel proud that I can be helping out fellow developers of all levels.

As an example, Juce doesn't support external sidechain signals. I have submitted code to Jules for review and possibly inclusion in Juce, that handles not just external sidechain inputs, but arbitrary multiple buses, both input and output, to all the various plugin formats as best as possible.

With so many different configurations of operating systems, hardware, and host software there are bound to be problems crop up every now and then. Some of these problems are caused by bugs at my end or in Juce, sometimes the issues are with the host - but whatever the cause, if there is a problem that prevents one of my customers from using my software in their setup I always give them the option of a full refund. This hasn't happened very often.

So, finally, thanks to everyone that has supported Cytomic by buying a copy of The Glue, and for all the constructive and useful feedback you have provided to make it an even better product over time thumbsup
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I emailed both @M2E @marchhare new builds for them to test with the fix for Pro Tools. M2E has reported that all is working well so far for him, so hopefully it's all fixed. This fix will be released in v1.0.19 which will be available to all soon, but please get in contact if you are having any issues with Pro Tools and I'll get you a copy as well.
Old 13th October 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I emailed both @M2E @marchhare new builds for them to test with the fix for Pro Tools. M2E has reported that all is working well so far for him, so hopefully it's all fixed. This fix will be released in v1.0.19 which will be available to all soon, but please get in contact if you are having any issues with Pro Tools and I'll get you a copy as well.
I've heard back now from both @M2E and @marchhare and all is looking good so far for them on TDM. A new release will be out on Friday for everyone with the fixes, and some fixes for Wavelab 7 compatibility as well
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Oversampling news: I'm in the final stages of testing oversampling, which I have specified to be linear phase and have below -120 dB noise floor from 0 to 20 kHz.

I've done some latency compensation (automatic delay compensation) tests where I up sample then down sample the signal (x2, x4, x8) and then cancel it with the original and it all looks perfect - complete cancellation within specifications. That means that for hosts that support latency compensation every last detail and transient stays exactly where it is even when oversampled. I could post some audio examples or screenshots but you won't hear / see anything so there isn't any point!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Excellent news Andy. I have to say I'm very impressed with your efforts to continually improve what already was a very good useful plugin upon initial release.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Latest version running wonderfully in Pro Tools HD 7.4 on Intel Mac.
Plug in sounds even better than before! Thanks Andy!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've had the pleasure of talking to Andy a number of times and his level of knowledge regarding audio is astounding (so astounding in fact that he seems to be two or three steps ahead of the customer when theyre providing feedback or, as the previous poster commented "R+D"). and to think he's doing all of this himself (coding, marketing, research, etc) is mindblowing.

M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Andy,

Just wanted to say, ur top notch man... Thanx for the huge help in getting this plugin up and going sooooo quick.
Amazing work....!!!

Marc
πŸ“ Reply