Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 46 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 17th September 2010 | Show parent
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Boy, i canΒ΄t praise the Compressor enough:
I mainly used it on the Masterbuss, but recently put it on the Snare, Percussions and other things, just to see how it compares and it really is doing an AMAZING job on all kinds of sources.

I really like it on the Snare as it gives such a good smack and i really like the Waveshaper feature to chop of the overs, giving the Snare or percussions even more punch/ the extra "cut through the mix".

Upsampling via the texfile works great in Ableton Live 8.1.5 on my Win XP SP3 PC.

Keep up the great great work Andy and thanx again for doing such an amazing coding job, making "the glue" better and better and better!!!
Old 19th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Andy FYI. I've been using x2 oversampling in v1.0.18 in SAWStudio without issue. I had it on the drum bus and it sounded great, the oversampling makes The Glue an even better plug.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been using the over-sampling in Reaper on PC without any issues, also.
Lives for gear

i don't use oversample mode in .18 but standard mode only.
killler plug! use it on all kind of sources, buses, master buss.
it becomes my one and only "go to" compressor plugin (say good buy to sonnox dynamics).

can't hardly wait for next version with new preset manager and oversample mode.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have been having problems with oversampling and the latest Logic. It acts like a system overload no matter what buffer setting I use. 2.26 8core 6 gigs of ram.
Old 20th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oversampling working fine in Logic 9.1.1 on OSX 10.6.4 here.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
MMmmm. Ok, that usually means I did something wrong. When I switched back everything worked fine. Could you maybe step by step your process for me?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguy6 ➑️
MMmmm. Ok, that usually means I did something wrong. When I switched back everything worked fine. Could you maybe step by step your process for me?
I'd suggest that you get in touch with Andy directly via support on cytomic.com.

There are a number of variables that could be affecting things, down to your specific motherboard or processor. He's saying that oversampling is still in beta, so that means he hasn't vetted all these variables yet - if you love the processor and want him to succeed, help him out by giving him good data about your machine. I'm sure he'll appreciate it!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Unit ➑️
I'd suggest that you get in touch with Andy directly via support on cytomic.com.

There are a number of variables that could be affecting things, down to your specific motherboard or processor. He's saying that oversampling is still in beta, so that means he hasn't vetted all these variables yet - if you love the processor and want him to succeed, help him out by giving him good data about your machine. I'm sure he'll appreciate it!

Good advice. Will do.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I also tried the oversampling x2 with logic 9.1.1 on OS X 10.6.4 and had disrupted and distorted sound when using it on a vocal audio track. Inserting it in a stereo bus or master worked fine, but there seems to be a problem with mono audio tracks.

best
flo
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Reminder: the oversampling feature is not currently supported. You guys are jumping the gun. Give him a little time.

- c
Old 21st September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
Reminder: the oversampling feature is not currently supported. You guys are jumping the gun. Give him a little time.

- c
No. Not jumping the gun. Trying to explain the issue with this beta feature.
My issue is identical to FloE.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguy6 ➑️
No. Not jumping the gun. Trying to explain the issue with this beta feature.
My issue is identical to FloE.
I don't think Andy would mind knowing on which platforms his beta is working fine and on which there are issues. He seems to check on this thread regularly. I think most of us know oversampling is in beta.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One other thing that must be noted at this stage is the Oversampling feature must be after the peak limiter, as it is possible now to override the limiter at the output stage.
As I said, it's probably a 'known' at this stage.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit ➑️
I don't think Andy would mind knowing on which platforms his beta is working fine and on which there are issues. He seems to check on this thread regularly. I think most of us know oversampling is in beta.
Actually the oversampling I consider to be in the alpha stage, as I've not even finalised how it works yet. As previously stated it is unsupported right now but please report if you have any issues with your system info and how the problem manifests. The support email address is here: Contact | Cytomic
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx ➑️
One other thing that must be noted at this stage is the Oversampling feature must be after the peak limiter, as it is possible now to override the limiter at the output stage...
There is no limiter in The Glue, there is only a fixed waveshaper which is why it is called a "Peak Clip", with the emphasis on "clip" as in distortion. The oversampling will help reduce the aliasing caused by this soft clip, but as stated in the manual "danger!!! do not use this feature unless you know what you are doing!".

The way to use the Peak Clip is to adjust the Makeup Gain until you can't hear any difference between when it is bypassed and when it is in operation. Just toggle away in your own blind test to make sure. Anything more than that and you will be distorting your signal.

I will release a limiter plugin in the future. It will be a completely separate product to The Glue.

(Note: you can use an extra copy of The Glue with a limiter setting before or after the other copy with a regular compressor setting if you want to, the peak clip takes almost no extra cpu and can sometimes be useful which is why I added it.)
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloE ➑️
I also tried the oversampling x2 with logic 9.1.1 on OS X 10.6.4 and had disrupted and distorted sound when using it on a vocal audio track. Inserting it in a stereo bus or master worked fine, but there seems to be a problem with mono audio tracks.

best
flo
Just a reminder to people reading this thread that may not be aware, the oversampling is currently unsupported. I've not tested it at all properly and it is not officially released, but I thought it may be of use to some people in it's current untested state, so for those that want to be on the bleeding edge they can give it a go at their own risk.

Thanks for the report FloE (edit: and bassguy6!!!). I can confirm that I get the same buzzing you have reported when using oversampling with mono tracks in Logic (both instrument and audio). This will be easy enough to fix
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
@adl @rabbit @kingocounty @djanthonyw

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :-) It's always good to hear from people that things are going well and The Glue is being of great use in your productions.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It's of course not the only compressor that I am using but its one of those tools that find a way into 70% of my channels. Can't wait for the official update with oversampling
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I didn't realize I was "on the bleeding edge" - how exciting.

I do notice a significant improvement in sound with the oversampling on.

No problems here in Live 8.1.5.
Old 22nd September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The glue is "winning" a TheGlue vs UAD 4K thread on the UAD forums. That's probably a first...

UAD Forums • View topic - 4k bus comp vs the glue
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The 4k is the only compressor I use on hi-hats and sometimes overheads. I don't know why but to me its sounding superior for high frequenzy content, good for other instruments, but not superior. Also the psp oldtimer 4K preset is great on hihats.

🎧 15 years
Incredible plugin - unreal Andy - you utterly nailed it
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
With oversampling,it really opens the high frequency.
But the CPU usage is a lot more compared to normal one especially when use the glue on every instrument groups.

Could you come up with a rendering mode which sets to high oversampling such as or better than voxengo plugins so that we could mix in 1X and expect full power on audio mixdown??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, that would be really cool. I wish all plugins did that actually...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes Aether 1.5 is doing it and this is a very good "workaround" to safe cpu-power
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I had to buy this

...couldn't resist. I tried the demo and was blown away by how much compression this thing can do and not sound bad. Also, it feels like each control is controlling more than what is on the label. I'm hearing character that is transparent rather than overblown and distracting.

I've tried it on a lot of different sources and it never sounds bad. There is a combination of settings that work on any source. Also, using two of these in series with different settings is really cool.

Man do I want an SSL channel compressor emulation......
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool!

- c
Old 23rd September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
There is no limiter in The Glue, there is only a fixed waveshaper which is why it is called a "Peak Clip", with the emphasis on "clip" as in distortion. The oversampling will help reduce the aliasing caused by this soft clip, but as stated in the manual "danger!!! do not use this feature unless you know what you are doing!".

The way to use the Peak Clip is to adjust the Makeup Gain until you can't hear any difference between when it is bypassed and when it is in operation. Just toggle away in your own blind test to make sure. Anything more than that and you will be distorting your signal.

I will release a limiter plugin in the future. It will be a completely separate product to The Glue.

(Note: you can use an extra copy of The Glue with a limiter setting before or after the other copy with a regular compressor setting if you want to, the peak clip takes almost no extra cpu and can sometimes be useful which is why I added it.)
Ah yes, of course Andy... I shouldn't have stated it in those terms. How you describe it is exactly the way I use it (and I do really like the sound of the waveshaping btw.. but don't tell anyone! )... then with a dedicated limiter after it (the sort of which, I choose for the job after, which is why I was able to see the different behaviour in the first place).

Can't wait to see your next product Andy!!! :-)
Old 23rd September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just wanted to add my voice to the growing throng.
The Glue is an absolutely wonderful compressor. It is still simply amazing to me how I can shape drum sounds with it, and it is awesome on the master bus and drum bus. The mix knob is great, really great.

I also use it as a deesser on my vox all the time. I just sidechain it off a (muted) vocal copy with really hyped esses and plosives. The fastest attack and fastest release settings are great for this. It's quite transparent.

Thanks for all your continued hard work, Andy. You've really done something special here.
πŸ“ Reply