The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 16th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl ➑️
What about THIS?
This is the home page with the trial versions. For upgrades it says to go to the download page of your account, but when I go there, it only has the 1.0.15 version.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➑️
Hello Andy,

Could you please include a "what's new" text in the .zip files (or make that info available in your website) so we can tell what's the difference between versions? Sometimes I don't have to time to look for this thread (or the one in KVR) just to see what's new or changed.

Btw, what's new in 1.0.17? :D
Sure thing, I've now added a "Release Notes.pdf" file to each download. v1.0.17 was released as a beta to a few people having issues, there is one last thing to fix in it so I'll release that as v1.0.18 and post here when it is ready (as requested every change no matter how slight receives its own version number).
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Sure thing, I've now added a "Release Notes.pdf" file to each download. v1.0.17 was released as a beta to a few people having issues, there is one last thing to fix in it so I'll release that as v1.0.18 and post here when it is ready (as requested every change no matter how slight receives its own version number).
Thanks Andy, much appreciated
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, thanks for this, Andy.
I have 1.0.16 right now, but I honestly can't remember which 1.0.16 it is! So it'll be nice to differentiate--easier to keep up with.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: the beta of v1.0.18 is ready to download from customers accounts or as a trial version from the link below. This is what v1.0.16 with the new dsp algorithms should have been all along, got there eventually :-)

The Glue | Cytomic

v1.0.18
β€’ Fixed: stopped writing of debugging file "LastLoadedXml.txt" to desktop

v1.0.17
β€’ Fixed: bug in new auto release algorithm that caused wasted cpu
β€’ Fixed: support for OS 10.4 for non 64-bit builds on Mac (wasn't working in v1.0.16)
β€’ Fixed: now correctly loads Cubase settings that were saved with v1.0.15 or earlier

v1.0.16
β€’ New: improved auto release with lower cpu and lower aliasing
β€’ New: Improved analog modeling for analog sounding attacks
β€’ New: Optimised analog modeling for greater efficiency
β€’ New: 64-bit Mac Au
β€’ New: 64-bit Win Vst
β€’ New: Double click on outer notches of controls to jump to that value
β€’ New: Double click in the centre of controls to enter text values
β€’ New: Peak needle, optional, click on the VU to toggle
β€’ New: Needle drawing with more accurate motion blur
β€’ New: Logic 5.x support on Win (no ext sidechain)
β€’ New: Adobe Premiere support (no ext sidechain)
β€’ New: Wavelab 5.x support (no ext sidechain)
β€’ Fixed: Wavelab 6 no longer hangs on startup
β€’ Fixed: Keystrokes are passed to host more reliably
β€’ Fixed: auto update of settings from v1.0.15 and before and match the
threshold
Old 17th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I finally got around to purchasing this yesterday. I just wanted to say "thanks" for the amazing work. This thing sounds wicked!!!! It's my new pump-monster for side-chaining, among many other things. heh

The price is right, the copy protection is really unobtrusive, and your support is among the best in the biz. What more could we ask for, really?

Thanks again, Andy!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
News: the beta of v1.0.18 is ready to download from customers accounts or as a trial version from the link below. This is what v1.0.16 with the new dsp algorithms should have been all along, got there eventually :-)

The Glue | Cytomic

v1.0.18
• Fixed: stopped writing of debugging file "LastLoadedXml.txt" to desktop

v1.0.17
• Fixed: bug in new auto release algorithm that caused wasted cpu
• Fixed: support for OS 10.4 for non 64-bit builds on Mac (wasn't working in v1.0.16)
• Fixed: now correctly loads Cubase settings that were saved with v1.0.15 or earlier

v1.0.16
• New: improved auto release with lower cpu and lower aliasing
• New: Improved analog modeling for analog sounding attacks
• New: Optimised analog modeling for greater efficiency
• New: 64-bit Mac Au
• New: 64-bit Win Vst
• New: Double click on outer notches of controls to jump to that value
• New: Double click in the centre of controls to enter text values
• New: Peak needle, optional, click on the VU to toggle
• New: Needle drawing with more accurate motion blur
• New: Logic 5.x support on Win (no ext sidechain)
• New: Adobe Premiere support (no ext sidechain)
• New: Wavelab 5.x support (no ext sidechain)
• Fixed: Wavelab 6 no longer hangs on startup
• Fixed: Keystrokes are passed to host more reliably
• Fixed: auto update of settings from v1.0.15 and before and match the
threshold

Hey Andy,

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing v1.0.16 or v1.0.17 in my user account. Can you shed some light on this?

All I'm seeing is v1.0.14 (RTAS is not downloading properly - see Picture 1 below), v1.0.15 and v1.0.18.

Thanks,

~Iz
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-picture-1.png  
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi ➑️
Hey Andy,

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing v1.0.16 or v1.0.17 in my user account. Can you shed some light on this?

All I'm seeing is v1.0.14 (RTAS is not downloading properly - see Picture 1 below), v1.0.15 and v1.0.18.

Thanks,

~Iz
Ahh, all the fun of version numbers. All new version include all features of previous versions, the version number just shows when that fix / feature was added. Since v1.0.16 and v1.0.17 contain bugs that v1.0.18 fixes all you want is v1.0.18 :-)

I did previously try to avoid such confusion by not incrementing version numbers needlessly, but this also caused confusion and people said they would prefer a new version number if anything at all changed so they could keep track of things more easily, which is I think the right thing to do and I've updated my web infrastructure to support this more easily now.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think I understand. I was confused as the latest updates are under the heading of "BETA VERSION: not recommended for production work".

The last version under "STABLE VERSION: recommended for production work" is 1.0.15.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd like to chime in here and add how impressed I am with this plug. I have lost count with how many great plugs I have for compressors and eq's. I waited a while before demoing this one and was tried not be interested in the plug.

Well, just finished another production and I used this plug over a range of tracks and all I can say is wow, what a great itb tool.

The other plug I bought after telling myself, no no, not another eq plug man, you dont need it you have all the best ones available was the DMG equality.
Another great plug which worked really well in tandem with the glue.
Three cheers for Andy
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbar ➑️
I think I understand. I was confused as the latest updates are under the heading of "BETA VERSION: not recommended for production work".

The last version under "STABLE VERSION: recommended for production work" is 1.0.15.
Yes, since I've just released v1.0.18 it will remain being called a "beta" for at least a week until it has undergone more testing. So at the moment v1.0.15 is the version that is most "stable" as it has had the most testing.
Old 7th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just tried the demo out and I have to say it sounds quite excellent. It seems to glue everything together and compress everything while still isolating and cleaning up all the freq's and transients in that classic 384 fashion.

I did a few tests comparing the stock logic studio compressor with lagerfeldts g series settings and it's night and day. the stock logic lagerfeldt ssl settings, while sounding fine, never had that tight, punchy, silky smoothness of the g series comp. hats off to you cytomic, cause the glue has got it!

I also played around with setting up a drum buss and a bass buss mixing through the 2buss and it just sounds so clean and crisp. gonna have a lot of fun with this.

also, a quick question, i was listening to some of the audio demos on your site and there is a track in particular (Doof) that seems to radically alter the sound of all the instruments. Can you elaborate on how the glue was used on this? it certainly doesn't sound like any setting achieved by simply going through a 2buss!

end rant, i will be buying this!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Hey Blex! Cheers for checking out The Glue and appreciating the detailed analog modeling involved :-)

The difference in sound for the Doof demo is all done with a single copy of The Glue placed on the entire mix. It was pushed very hard to make it really obvious for a casual listener to hear the difference in sound possible by using The Glue. The change in tone you can hear is mainly caused by using the Range knob set to -22 dB. The Range knob allows you to use a really strong setting and catch the sound early, but then ease off without over compressing the transients or body of the mix. In this case I used a fast 0.1 mS attack, 0.2 S release and ratio of 10. I deliberately wanted some pumping from the kick to get some movement in the pads so left the sidechain highpass filter off.

The preset I used is as well as a bunch of others used for the web page demos are available here: www.cytomic.com/files/the-glue-web-page-presets.zip. Just copy this folder to your presets folder, which you can show via the preset menu in The Glue.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ahh brilliant. mind=blown. thanks for the reply.

also, is there any way to scroll through presets without having to load them up one by one?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blex ➑️
ahh brilliant. mind=blown. thanks for the reply.

also, is there any way to scroll through presets without having to load them up one by one?
The only way you can currently preview presets is to click on the file name in the (ugly) file open dialog box. I am currently working on both improving preset browsing and adding optional oversampling to improve audio quality. I apologise for the poor preset handling at the moment, it is something I have been wanting to improve for some time, but I have been busy improving support for existing customers and fixing bugs which always takes priority over adding new functionality.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Here are some plots that may be of interest. One is of the spectrum of the analog SSL X-Logic bus compressor, the other is of The Glue running at 44100 with x2 oversampling. Both are set to 1 mS attack, 0.6 S release, ratio 10 and gain reduction -8 dB.

As you can see The Glue is actually cleaner than the analog hardware! The analog hardware and dac, adc has a combined noisefloor of around -126 dB, and you can see sidebands around the fundamental 993 Hz test signal caused by mains electricity hum (in this case 53 Hz which when rectified makes 106 Hz which is what is visible).

I'm working hard to officially support oversampling in a future update so everyone can benefit from the increased clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-ssl.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-glue_x2.jpg  
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The only way you can currently preview presets is to click on the file name in the (ugly) file open dialog box. I am currently working on both improving preset browsing and adding optional oversampling to improve audio quality. I apologise for the poor preset handling at the moment, it is something I have been wanting to improve for some time, but I have been busy improving support for existing customers and fixing bugs which always takes priority over adding new functionality.
Very nice!!
Even i am not so much of a preset guy i am totally looking forward to the oversampling and the picture you posted looks veeeeery promising.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I'm working hard to officially support oversampling in a future update so everyone can benefit from the increased clarity.
Yaahhh COOL !!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You keep refining this already amazing thing. That is so admirable! Thanks for your work!

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yup, awesome developer, awesome plugin. I'm very happy to support people like this. When's your next plugin coming out?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This is THE ssl master-buss plugin.
Wonderfull indie business, quality real analog modelling, constant improving-updating, and killer sound!
Good developers don't go unnoticed, and some people can appreciate their products! thumbsup
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys for the positive words, really appreciated :-) For a small business like me it really helps out in a big way that you post your appreciation to forums like this since prospective customers read it and then go and check out what all the fuss is about. Your support is what keeps things ticking over and allows me to improve The Glue and work on new plugins.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty ➑️
Yup, awesome developer, awesome plugin. I'm very happy to support people like this. When's your next plugin coming out?
I've just started work on the next plugin (oversampling I consider part of that work as the new plugin will need it) and it should be ready somewhere between 3-6 months time, but until I've done more work I won't know for sure. As the product nears completion I will post details as to what it is and also some audio examples :-)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is The Glue going to have oversample feature in next update? heh

Good news about a new plug-in, can't wait to find out what it is.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore ➑️
Is The Glue going to have oversample feature in next update? heh

Good news about a new plug-in, can't wait to find out what it is.
The Glue will have oversampling officially supported in one of the next few updates, as soon as it is ready it will be released.

You can already switch on x2 oversampling in v1.0.18, but it is officially not supported yet as it requires more testing. Have a look at the "Settings.xml" file which is located next to your Presets folder. You can open a browser at this folder using the menu command "Show Preset Folder" from inside The Glue. With a text editor you can change the line:
<Tuple Key="OversampleRealtime" Value="Off"/>
to
<Tuple Key="OversampleRealtime" Value="x2"/>

then reload your song and all instances of The Glue will be oversampled.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very cool... thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Glue will have oversampling officially supported in one of the next few updates, as soon as it is ready it will be released.

You can already switch on x2 oversampling in v1.0.18, but it is officially not supported yet as it requires more testing. Have a look at the "Settings.xml" file which is located next to your Presets folder. You can open a browser at this folder using the menu command "Show Preset Folder" from inside The Glue. With a text editor you can change the line:
<Tuple Key="OversampleRealtime" Value="Off"/>
to
<Tuple Key="OversampleRealtime" Value="x2"/>

then reload your song and all instances of The Glue will be oversampled.
Just tried rebouncing a song with the oversampling turned on as the only difference to the mix (on a jazzy acoustic duo).

The difference is significant.

Sounds clearer and more defined.

Great stuff!
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can already switch on x2 oversampling in v1.0.18, but it is officially not supported yet as it requires more testing.
Can you tell what might be happening in the worst case if i enable it already?
Just some ideas what could possible happen or what i should pay attention to when i enable it the way you described in your post above.
Thanx in advance!!
Old 8th September 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl ➑️
Can you tell what might be happening in the worst case if i enable it already?
Just some ideas what could possible happen or what i should pay attention to when i enable it the way you described in your post above.
Thanx in advance!!
The worst thing that could happen is the plugin crash. I have had a report from a customer getting a crash with ProTools 7.4.2 on OS 10.5.6 which I still need to check into, but it's working fine with me in Logic and Live. Once it is fully supported you will hopefully be able to switch between different oversampling amounts while processing audio so you can listen to the difference more easily. This is easy enough to do for me, but reporting the plugin compensation latency to the host dynamically may be more problematic. Worst case might require you to save then load the song to force the host to get the plugin compensation right, but this is why I need to do more testing.
Old 8th September 2010 | Show parent
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The worst thing that could happen is the plugin crash. I have had a report from a customer getting a crash with ProTools 7.4.2 on OS 10.5.6 which I still need to check into, but it's working fine with me in Logic and Live. Once it is fully supported you will hopefully be able to switch between different oversampling amounts while processing audio so you can listen to the difference more easily. This is easy enough to do for me, but reporting the plugin compensation latency to the host dynamically may be more problematic. Worst case might require you to save then load the song to force the host to get the plugin compensation right, but this is why I need to do more testing.
Ok, thanx for four reply. As i use Live i Β΄ll give it a try.
πŸ“ Reply