The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 6th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I was helping out doing more audio examples for the upcoming Sound On Sound review, which should be a very interesting read - Frederick, the reviewer, has not only amazing ears and an excellent listening environment, but an in depth practical and technical knowledge of the SSL buss comrpessor. I'm really looking forward to reading what he has to say!

Nice to hear Any.
Looking forward to read that review.
Just ordered a one year subscription on S&S,
so It'll drop into my MailBox soon... heh

G
Old 7th July 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: I've updated v1.0.16

* fixed: auto update of settings from v1.0.15 and before and match the threshold
* new: improved auto release with lower cpu and lower aliasing
* new: added support for OS 10.4 back again for non 64-bit builds. The 64-bit AU still requires OS 10.5

This is now available from everyones accounts, and the Trial version is also available from:

www.cytomic.com/glue
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacorro ➑️
Andy, you did it again.
This is the best plugin in the world.

I noticed some aliasing increase ONLY in auto release mode.
Now, The glue sounds even better and is even cleaner than before.

Please Andy, do an analog style Eq and a great limiter.
The world needs more of your stuff
Thanks pacorro!

You were right, the auto release could be better, so I improved it :-) Please download v1.0.16 again and have a look, now it is in line with the rest of the release modes in terms of quality, and the cpu usage has also been improved in auto release.

I do plan to do both a non-linear but clean analog Eq, and a limiter in the future :-)
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

* fixed: auto update of settings from v1.0.15 and before and match the threshold
* new: added support for OS 10.4 back again for non 64-bit builds. The 64-bit AU still requires OS 10.5

This is now available from everyones accounts, and the Trial version is also available from:

The Glue | Cytomic
You simply are amazing! thumbsup
You are on my list of people I will donate money to when I become very rich..
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Anyone up for a proper A/B comparison? Last time was flawed because I had a major bug in my oversampling code that ruined the audio. This time the oversampling code is working just great :-) Please don't cheat by looking at the old files if you still have them on your hd! All processing for The Glue was done with x2 oversampling inside The Glue with the host running at 44100.

The .zip file includes the dry wavs as well as the "a" and "b" ones. Please remember that you only have permission to use these files for this test, they are NOT in the public domain :-)

http://cytomic.com/files/the-glue-blind-ab2-wavs.zip

To vote please fill in the template below with "analog" and "glue" where you think they are:

drums-punch-a =
drums-punch-b =

rock-bass-drums-a =
rock-bass-drums-b =

vox-gita-a =
vox-gita-b =
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes there is a slight difference in threshold of around 2 dB which I will adjust for automatically, so when you load a setting saved with v1.0.15 of say -10 dB theshold, it will update this to -8 dB threshold in v1.0.16. Sorry for the confusion, and not having already included this in the current release. For new projects there is no problem.
Just so I'm clear on this, the automatic update will only happen on projects that originally used 1.0.15, correct? But it won't touch projects with the earlier release of 1.0.16 which I've already corrected? That seems like some pretty sophisticated analyzation!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➑️
Just so I'm clear on this, the automatic update will only happen on projects that originally used 1.0.15, correct? But it won't touch projects with the earlier release of 1.0.16 which I've already corrected? That seems like some pretty sophisticated analyzation!
That is correct, it will only update old projects when it detects settings saved with v1.0.15 or before, it will leave all settings already done with v1.0.16 alone. The corrections applied to old songs depend on ratio as follows:

2 = +2.6 dB (ie less threshold)
4 = +1.2 dB
10 = +1.0 dB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy, i can't download the files:(
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl ➑️
Andy, i can't download the files:(
I canΒ΄t even reach your page...

EDIT:
Nevermind...got it :-)

The Glue is getting better and better thumbsup
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl ➑️
I canΒ΄t even reach your page...
Worked fine here on two computers.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Andy, I have tons of respect for your work and I was an early adopter of this fabulous plugin.

A couple of small points, from the point of view of the user/fan.

As a user, I respectfully request a shift in your version naming style. Don't "update" V1.016. Make V1.017. Much easier for us to follow. This way we don't wonder if we have the correct V1.016. Y'know? Does this make sense?

Also, personally I think you could move to V1.1 now, seeing as the sound and action has changed significantly in the last couple of releases. Don't be afraid to be dramatic when dramatic things happen. The Glue, to my ears, is a whole new plug-in! (In a good way.)

Those are my small opinions.

- c
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
Andy, I have tons of respect for your work and I was an early adopter of this fabulous plugin.

A couple of small points, from the point of view of the user/fan.

As a user, I respectfully request a shift in your version naming style. Don't "update" V1.016. Make V1.017. Much easier for us to follow. This way we don't wonder if we have the correct V1.016. Y'know? Does this make sense?

Also, personally I think you could move to V1.1 now, seeing as the sound and action has changed significantly in the last couple of releases. Don't be afraid to be dramatic when dramatic things happen. The Glue, to my ears, is a whole new plug-in! (In a good way.)

Those are my small opinions.

- c
Yeah, I hear you. I would normally have update the version number for these updates but I'm pressed for time at the moment, and updating the version number takes quite a lot longer to do that just uploading the files for the same version number, sorry for the possible confusion. I'm also waiting to update the gui before bumping the version up to 1.1 since most people are very visual and will scratch their heads if they can't see any difference - just human nature that I'm not going to fight against.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

I suggested the same thing, Chad, but now that I'm thinking on it I wager he's saving 1.1 for when the full oversampling mode is finished.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't be sure...maybe:

drums-punch-a = glue
drums-punch-b = analog

rock-bass-drums-a = analog
rock-bass-drums-b = glue

vox-gita-a = glue
vox-gita-b = analog
Lives for gear

I downloaded and installed today's 1.0.16 build (64-bit AU) from my account and now The Glue no longer shows up as a 64-bit plug in Logic 9.1.1 on 10.6.4.

Sadness consumes me....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, sorry to be dense, but I'm a little confused on this.
I'm on Logic with Snow Leopard. Am I supposed to download 1.0.16 MacAu.zip or 1.0.16 Mac64Au.zip? Or am I supposed to download both?

I'm generally running Logic in 32-bit mode on a day-to-day basis, but I'll hopefully be moving into 64-bit territory soon.

Which .zip is for me?
Old 8th July 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
now it was really tough to guess))))

drums-punch-a = glue
drums-punch-b =analog
rock-bass-drums-b = glue
vox-gita-a = analog
vox-gita-b =glue

vox example by guess-work..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Alright, let's see if I can do any better this time!

drums-punch-a = analog
drums-punch-b = Glue

rock-bass-drums-b = Glue

vox-gita-a = analog
vox-gita-b = Glue

There's a difference in the cymbals and snare in rock-bass-drums. The snare in particular sounds clearer and has more air around it in a, which is why I say analog, but I'm not really experienced with the real unit so who knows...The drums-punch had a similar thing going on, but it was more subtle.

The vocal was the most-similar sounding between analog and glue (to me).
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
My guess:

drums-punch-a = analog
drums-punch-b = glue

rock-bass-drums-a = glue
rock-bass-drums-b = analog

vox-gita-a = glue
vox-gita-b = analog

Never have an experience with the real deal, so I just assume that the analog probably is a little bit more snappy.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anyone up for a proper A/B comparison? Last time was flawed because I had a major bug in my oversampling code that ruined the audio. This time the oversampling code is working just great :-) Please don't cheat by looking at the old files if you still have them on your hd! All processing for The Glue was done with x2 oversampling inside The Glue with the host running at 44100.

The .zip file includes the dry wavs as well as the "a" and "b" ones. Please remember that you only have permission to use these files for this test, they are NOT in the public domain :-)

http://cytomic.com/files/the-glue-blind-ab2-wavs.zip

To vote please fill in the template below with "analog" and "glue" where you think they are:

drums-punch-a =
drums-punch-b =

rock-bass-drums-a =
rock-bass-drums-b =

vox-gita-a =
vox-gita-b =

When you post the results could you also post the settings used on each example?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

when are u implenting,

.) one click Preset switching?
.) a finetune option (pressing shift) for the knobs.
on the mousewheel the make gain values moves in 2 dB steps i think
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Anyone up for a proper A/B comparison
I really can't tell which is which but here are my thoughts:

drums-punch-a = Hi-hat and symbals sound a bit "splashy". Definately has a sound to it.
drums-punch-b = Clean sounding. Different character to a.

rock-bass-drums-a = Heavy pumping. Muddy lows.
rock-bass-drums-b = Cleaner pumping. Lows stay open.

vox-gita-a = Nice effect to the vocals.
vox-gita-b = A bit quieter than a? More "grittier". A sounded more pleasant.

Cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just compared the Glue to my Dramastic Obsidian on the mixbus...this is a really good compressor IMO, plugin or hardware.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange ➑️
When you post the results could you also post the settings used on each example?
Yep, will do. I'll post the results tomorrow (Friday).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droogs ➑️
when are u implenting,

.) one click Preset switching?
.) a finetune option (pressing shift) for the knobs.
on the mousewheel the make gain values moves in 2 dB steps i think

Andy I hate to even say anything because The Glue is such a great plugin but the preset system at least in Cubase 5 is a pain.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

The Glue | Cytomic
Will it run on Intel Mac Dual 2.66 in OS 10.4.9
as RTAS in Pro Tools HD? Buy it tonight if it
does.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➑️
I downloaded and installed today's 1.0.16 build (64-bit AU) from my account and now The Glue no longer shows up as a 64-bit plug in Logic 9.1.1 on 10.6.4.

Sadness consumes me....
Still can't get the 64-bit version to appear in Logic. I've tried both the AU installers, as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham ➑️
Yeah, sorry to be dense, but I'm a little confused on this.
I'm on Logic with Snow Leopard. Am I supposed to download 1.0.16 MacAu.zip or 1.0.16 Mac64Au.zip? Or am I supposed to download both?

I'm generally running Logic in 32-bit mode on a day-to-day basis, but I'll hopefully be moving into 64-bit territory soon.

Which .zip is for me?
Just wanted to quote myself on this in case you missed it, Andy. My "question post" got sort of buried in there...
Old 9th July 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ermmmm..... am i going crazy or......previous 1.0.16 sounded a bit different from the new 1.0.16.i dont want to confuse anyone but i have strange feeling that the previous 1.0.16 sounds different. just say "yes" or "no".
Old 9th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep, will do. I'll post the results tomorrow (Friday).
Sounds great. Thank you.
πŸ“ Reply