Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 42 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1231
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Well done fellas! Almost everyone picked it correctly:

**Correct Answers**

pop-mix-a = glue
pop-mix-b = analog

rock-bass-drums-a = analog
rock-bass-drums-b = glue

vox-gita-a = analog
vox-gita-b = glue

This is a great test for me since I think I've found what the problem is. I used an initial trial of my oversampling code to generate the test files. I allowed some droop (ie low pass filtering) in the pass band starting at 20 kHz, but it sounds people can hear the top 2k being slightly lower amplitude. I didn't expect that people could hear that, so well done! Whether people picked it as the analog or digital it was clearly picked as different from each other, so back to the drawing board for the filter design.

On which clip do you think it was easiest to tell? If you don't mind I'll re-do that one and post the results and see if it helps.
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1232
fdd
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
In dynamic part of the vocal H/W wins hands down - it's more transparent.
The interesting thing (for me) is that while on drums and bass and vocal tracks i prefer hardware, Glue sounds better to my ears on whole mix. Considering shopping atm
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1233
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
My thoughts too, I think the HW sounds more transparent and open sounding, more breathing room.
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1234
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
well, for me its all about the frequency.mmmmaybe hardware preserves lows and mids more carefully then the glue.for me it was easy to hear in a pop mix when the first fill sounds.(0.05).

in rock bass drums example drums sound...fuller i guess.

and i thought it wouldnot be easy for me to choose the correct on vocal 'cause i rarely work with vocal but...when she sings "parapa-parapa" i can hear the difference because "P" sound is kinda......drum sounding letter and i can hear that it sounds fuller with hardware. hope you see what i mean but what im trying to say that its very easy to determine on drum sounding sounds.

p.s. answering andy's question on which was the easiest to tell. rock bass drums.
was hard to tell on a pop mix
Old 3rd July 2010
  #1235
Lives for gear
 
Ruud Unit's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Re: Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic
it sounds people can hear the top 2k being slightly lower amplitude. I didn't expect that people could hear that, so well done! Whether people picked it as the analog or digital it was clearly picked as different from each other, so back to the drawing board for the filter design.
Whoah, very interesting! There was definitely a small difference in the upper midrange / lower highs, but I interpreted it wrong. I thought the plugin was actually adding/accentuating that range (as plugin comps often do), not attenuating it. Either way, the difference was even less than I expected.

Consider me impressed, Andy!
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1236
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento ➡️
well, for me its all about the frequency.mmmmaybe hardware preserves lows and mids more carefully then the glue.for me it was easy to hear in a pop mix when the first fill sounds.(0.05).

in rock bass drums example drums sound...fuller i guess.

and i thought it wouldnot be easy for me to choose the correct on vocal 'cause i rarely work with vocal but...when she sings "parapa-parapa" i can hear the difference because "P" sound is kinda......drum sounding letter and i can hear that it sounds fuller with hardware. hope you see what i mean but what im trying to say that its very easy to determine on drum sounding sounds.

p.s. answering andy's question on which was the easiest to tell. rock bass drums.
was hard to tell on a pop mix
Well the oversampling filter is only effecting 20 kHz and above with a slight low pass, the lows and mids won't be effected at all by this, so this is purely a difference in the tone of the two compressors.

Since you guys have excellent ears can I try another test as well? To take the converters out of the equation as much as possible I ran the test signal out through the sound card, then back in again before processing with The Glue. I'll also post some examples where I process the signal completely in the box with The Glue rather than have it operate on the twice converted signal.
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1237
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
Since you guys have excellent ears can I try another test as well? To take the converters out of the equation as much as possible I ran the test signal out through the sound card, then back in again before processing with The Glue. I'll also post some examples where I process the signal completely in the box with The Glue rather than have it operate on the twice converted signal.

Sure, do this!
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1238
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Oh dear. I found a bug in my oversampling code which was actually causing a slight subtle low pass filtering on everything above 12 kHz, woops. I'll do some more tests to make sure the oversampling filter is working fine and upload the new audio, as well as the other variations I was talking about. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1239
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Very nice to see how much afford you put into the glue, Andy!

I bought the glue when there was still the discount and never regret that, but it´s great to see a good plugin getting even better.

Keep up the great work!! thumbsup
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1240
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the time you're investing into this Andy. I really appreciate these improvements. Keep up the excellent work!
Old 3rd July 2010
  #1241
Lives for gear
 
Ruud Unit's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Re: Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic
Oh dear. I found a bug in my oversampling code which was actually causing a slight subtle low pass filtering on everything above 12 kHz, woops. I'll do some more tests to make sure the oversampling filter is working fine and upload the new audio, as well as the other variations I was talking about. Thanks for your help everyone!
Dude. You're amazing!
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1242
Lives for gear
 
mike1k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Unit ➡️
Dude. You're amazing!

+1000
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1243
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You guys are completely welcome. Thanks for taking the punt and supporting me when I was first getting started. Without your help, and the help of others like you I would not be in the position I am today - which is able to update The Glue with all the features I wanted to add from the beginning, or didn't realise would be good without your excellent feedback.
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1244
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Well Andy, you offer:

- A fantastic product
- Excellent price
- First class support
- Friendly copy protection (pre-registered)

Doesn't get better than that!
Old 3rd July 2010 | Show parent
  #1245
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➡️
Well Andy, you offer:

- A fantastic product
- Excellent price
- First class support
- Friendly copy protection (pre-registered)

Doesn't get better than that!
Agree 101%
Old 4th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1246
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➡️
Well Andy, you offer:

- A fantastic product
- Excellent price
- First class support
- Friendly copy protection (pre-registered)

Doesn't get better than that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➡️
Agree 101%
+1000 Cytomic and Cockos are the finest examples of how soft companies should work and treat their own these days! thumbsup
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1247
nms
Lives for gear
 
nms's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
man I'm lovin it. I've never spent money on a plug that I was anywhere near as glad to support or as worthy of my money.

constant development for the win!
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1248
Gear Addict
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Andy, you did it again.
This is the best plugin in the world.

I noticed some aliasing increase ONLY in auto release mode.
Now, The glue sounds even better and is even cleaner than before.

Please Andy, do an analog style Eq and a great limiter.
The world needs more of your stuff
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1249
Gear Addict
 
Melodioso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
+ 1! Amazing plugin, excellent developper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacorro ➡️
Please Andy, do an analog style Eq and a great limiter.
The world needs more of your stuff
Check out Equality, in analogue phase mode. Great sounding EQ, with an exceptionnal interface!
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1250
Gear Addict
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodioso ➡️
+ 1! Amazing plugin, excellent developper!



Check out Equality, in analogue phase mode. Great sounding EQ, with an exceptionnal interface!
Yeah, equality in analog phase is great, but eats a lot of cpu.

Check the Psp console Eq. In my opinion is the best analog style eq in the market. Sounds amazing and very low cpu usage.

But I know Andy could make the best one.

But, Andy, the world needs first the limiter. The ones in the market are very bad. We need the best developer to make the best limiter.
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1251
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Guys I am SO much a amateur when it comes to mixing/recording. I am learning. Anyway, I purchased MILAR and was watching it this weekend. I know everybody has there way of doing their mixing, but I learned alot from this video. I can never hear the sublte things that you guys hear and I don't expect to at this stage. But, being the video was done a while back before the "glue" came out, I was wondering does the glue do what "both" the Ac1 and and the compressor does in this video or is that something completely different? I bought URS saturation a while back without even knowing what it does. So maybe that can help Again I am learning so please overlook this if it is a dumb question. You guys are so far beyond what I know and I get confused pretty easily But I am willing to learn!! Thanks for any info and again thanks for the glue Andy.
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1252
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
In MiLaR he uses McDSP ac1 as a mild 'saturation' effect.

Its designed to act in a similiar way to the main stereo buss on a mixing console.

The compressor he uses I forget which one it is now as I have only watched the video once a while ago but yes the compressor being used is similiar in intended use as 'The Glue'.

You could use your URS plugin instead of ac1 alongside the Glue to achieve a similiar effect.

Use the saturation effect before the compressor to copy the signal flow.

You will find that less is most definately more with saturation on the master buss.

Be gentle and it will add a certain 'something' go to far and itll all very quickly turn into mush. You may also benefit with using the wet/dry mix in the URS saturation to keep the effect subtle.

IMHO anyway,

Best of luck

Gareth
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1253
Gear Maniac
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
Oh dear. I found a bug in my oversampling code which was actually causing a slight subtle low pass filtering on everything above 12 kHz, woops. I'll do some more tests to make sure the oversampling filter is working fine and upload the new audio, as well as the other variations I was talking about. Thanks for your help everyone!
Hey Andy. Does this mean a new beta version is forthcoming with a fix for this bug or am I misunderstanding things.
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1254
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
As the recent "glue" doesn´t have any upsampling i think it´s about the coming release, so don´t worry about the 1.0.16 version, which should be fine.

Andy also wrote this on the first post on this page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
I used an initial trial of my oversampling code to generate the test files.
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1255
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
As adl has pointed out the oversampling is a feature not currently present in The Glue, so there is no bug to fix in the current release. Once full development, testing, and optimisation has been done with the oversampling it will be added to The Glue in a future update.
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1256
Gear Maniac
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
As adl has pointed out the oversampling is a feature not currently present in The Glue, so there is no bug to fix in the current release. Once full development, testing, and optimisation has been done with the oversampling it will be added to The Glue in a future update.
Thanks guys, so yeah I had it screwed up. I thought I might.
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1257
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
So Andy, I'm confused. You mentioned that there are differences between 1.0.15 and 1.0.16. Is this going to be corrected?

Many thx!

~Iz
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1258
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi ➡️
So Andy, I'm confused. You mentioned that there are differences between 1.0.15 and 1.0.16. Is this going to be corrected?

Many thx!

~Iz
Yes there is a slight difference in threshold of around 2 dB which I will adjust for automatically, so when you load a setting saved with v1.0.15 of say -10 dB theshold, it will update this to -8 dB threshold in v1.0.16. Sorry for the confusion, and not having already included this in the current release. For new projects there is no problem.
Old 5th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1259
Lives for gear
 
strauss's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
Yes there is a slight difference in threshold of around 2 dB which I will adjust for automatically, so when you load a setting saved with v1.0.15 of say -10 dB theshold, it will update this to -8 dB threshold in v1.0.16. Sorry for the confusion, and not having already included this in the current release. For new projects there is no problem.
I have lots of projects with 10.0.15 so I'm waiting for the new release before I'll update.
Do you have an indication when the new release will be available?
Old 6th July 2010 | Show parent
  #1260
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss ➡️
I have lots of projects with 10.0.15 so I'm waiting for the new release before I'll update.
Do you have an indication when the new release will be available?
I should be able to get this done by tomorrow (wed) evening, sorry for the delay, I was helping out doing more audio examples for the upcoming Sound On Sound review, which should be a very interesting read - Frederick, the reviewer, has not only amazing ears and an excellent listening environment, but an in depth practical and technical knowledge of the SSL buss comrpessor. I'm really looking forward to reading what he has to say!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615429
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 98 views: 39199
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 295 views: 74343
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 181830
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump