Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 40 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 26th June 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
well damn.. with all the recommendations and the obvious ongoing product development I'm going to have to join the club. how's the latency? I use lots of instances of ableton's compressor normally.. would I be better off using the glue in place of them or just keep it to a few bussed instances?
Good to hear! The Glue has no latency, and is low in cpu usage, so you should be able to use many instances of it in your project at once - your decision should be made solely on what you think sounds best for your track
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnest ➑️
Will the future version slightly changed to match hardware more closely step by step??
Then version 1.0.15 is like another compressor compared to 1.1.
At a sample rate of 88.2 kHz I can't tell the difference between The Glue and the analog hardware. Given the low cpu use this is as good it gets, so apart from optional oversampling in a future version there will be no further updates to tone or quality of the analog modeling algorithm of The Glue.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: v1.0.16 has been updated and taken out of beta (but still kept at the same version number). For those experiencing trouble with knobs jumping around unexpectedly please download v1.0.16 again. You now have to double click on the outer notches to get the knob to jump to that value, and if you double click in the centre of a knob you can enter exact text values. Here is the full list:

* New: Improved analog modeling for analog sounding attacks
* New: Optimised analog modeling for greater efficiency
* New: 64-bit Mac Au
* New: 64-bit Win Vst
* New: Double click on outer notches of controls to jump to that value
* New: Double click in the centre of controls to enter text values
* New: Peak needle, optional, click on the VU to toggle
* New: Needle drawing with more accurate motion blur
* New: Logic 5.x support on Win (no ext sidechain)
* New: Adobe Premiere support (no ext sidechain)
* New: Wavelab 5.x support (no ext sidechain)
* Fixed: Wavelab 6 no longer hangs on startup
* Fixed: Keystrokes are passed to host

In the next few days I will also release the trial of v1.0.16
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Col, thanx for the doubble click feature. Works fine in Live 8.1.3 on XP.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
just want to say I always liked the glue but it really does sound great! Thank you
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looking forward to trying the demo!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
At a sample rate of 88.2 kHz I can't tell the difference between The Glue and the analog hardware. Given the low cpu use this is as good it gets, so apart from optional oversampling in a future version there will be no further updates to tone or quality of the analog modeling algorithm of The Glue.
I noticed in the analyzer, there are even harmonics compared to previous versions.

I'm updating all final master bus with the new Glue, by the way matching the old settings with the numeric input is very convenient.
But the threshold and makeup gain needs some tweakings to get the same output level.

If I overwrote the old dll instead of doing it by creating a new 1.0.16 dll, will the output level come closer??
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I noticed in the analyzer, there are even harmonics compared to previous versions.
Yep, I modeled some sidechain asymmetry that is present due to manufacturing fluctuations in components. Just never got around to doing it before, but I'm happy to have had the time to add it.

Quote:
I'm updating all final master bus with the new Glue, by the way matching the old settings with the numeric input is very convenient.
But the threshold and makeup gain needs some tweakings to get the same output level.

If I overwrote the old dll instead of doing it by creating a new 1.0.16 dll, will the output level come closer??
No, it doesn't matter what name the plugin has it will sound the same. Also note that you can copy and paste the settings between instances of The Glue. Check the preset menu :-)
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
new version works great! Thanks for the support Andy
Old 27th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep, I modeled some sidechain asymmetry that is present due to manufacturing fluctuations in components. Just never got around to doing it before, but I'm happy to have had the time to add it.

No, it doesn't matter what name the plugin has it will sound the same. Also note that you can copy and paste the settings between instances of The Glue. Check the preset menu :-)
I meant if I overwrite dll of 1.0.15 with 1.0.16, will the .15 settings changes to match the level of new .16 due to .16 has more gain reduction in the same setting.
Old 27th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Andy,

Installed version 1.0.16 last night and here are my findings:

The plug-in definitely sounds better, but now I'm getting about 2-3 dB's more of reduction. So now I have to go back to all of my saved sessions in Pro Tools and re-adjust the threshold wherever the The Glue's being used.

The GUI is still really weird in Pro Tools and especially in Peak.

Also, when I download the RTAS version 1.0.14, the plug-in icon is a document icon (instead of a PT icon) and not recognized in Pro Tools. Version 1.0.15 as you know is pretty weird as far as GUI issues in Pro Tools & Peak, taking over the Pro Tools commands, etc..., so I don't know what to do @ this point. Please advice...

Thanks!

~M

PowerMac G5 DualCore 2.3 (PPC) with 8GB of RAM, Tiger 10.4.11,
Digidesign Digi 002 (Console), Pro Tools LE 7.4cs10, Peak Pro 5.2.1, Logic Pro 7.2.3
Old 28th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm obviously way late to this party, but damn, this is a wonderful plug in.
Buying it tomorrow.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I hate to be the party pooper

I downloaded a trial version a few months ago after reading the excitement about it on this thread. There was nothing wrong with the compressor but it just didnt exactly excite me like it seems to have with many on this thread. I just get the feeling people want to like something so much they just will, and with a large thread like this I think that also adds to the "this must be something cool"

Its a buss compressor so I expected something sort of cool to happen to the overall mix. I got compression but not with the character I had thought I would. Perhaps its just me and my expectations are misplaced Maybe its just that I look for particular sound. Theres a plugin called vogue and while it most definitely wouldnt be suited for a lot of people and can be rough around the edges I found it to be better than the Glue because it has bags of character and can really give a track vibe although its really dependent on the track your doing. Some of the Voxengo stuff can do that as well and some of of the Vox plugins really do add character to your sound and you can tailor them to suit you. Glue to me was just another of the many compressors out there that do pretty much the same thing. I would mess with the range and side chain knob and didnt hear much or any difference. It reminded me of the SSL Buss compressor, again another one I didnt particularly like.

But its good to see the developer on here and I hope your not offended by what I have said.

Sorry, the dissenter shall leave now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't think you're dissenting, you're just saying it didn't suit your aesthetic. Which is cool.

Not everybody likes the SSL "feel," which the Glue has in spades.

The world would be dull if everyone liked the same thing.

cheers,
c
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
MartinHB

..and you definitely should try new 1.0.16.
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
tried out the demo for the evening and bought it anticipating the new improvements in 1.0.16! very logical improvements in the update. My only plugin purchase so far this year and judging by the way andrew is on top of the development that money was very well spent :D

thanks man! feel free to continue venting your genius into this sucka heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this plug also kicks butt on electric guitar IMO. loving the elec. guitar presets that come with it, especially the "lead solo" one I think it's called, something like that. perfect for my lead tone which is usually very Petrucci-esque (minus the God-like playing, of course)
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: The trial of The Glue v1.0.16 is ready for download. Note that this new version will reset your trial period if you have already tried an older version.

http://cytomic.com/glue
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I got the trial version last night for Logic but I get it to show up. I did a rescan, restart, etc and nothing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
News: The trial of The Glue v1.0.16 is ready for download. Note that this new version will reset your trial period if you have already tried an older version.

The Glue | Cytomic
About to buy, but just noticed that the latest version needs
10.5 for Intel Mac. I'm on 10.4.9/Intel, not supported?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsound ➑️
I got the trial version last night for Logic but I get it to show up. I did a rescan, restart, etc and nothing.
Can you please try downloading it again? It could be a corrupted file. If not then can you please email me some more info? The short list of useful info and support email address is here: Contact | Cytomic
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare ➑️
About to buy, but just noticed that the latest version needs
10.5 for Intel Mac. I'm on 10.4.9/Intel, not supported?
Yes, the latest Intel Mac build requires OS 10.5 as a minimum. I found bugs in several hosts when targeting for OS 10.4 that were fixed when targeting OS 10.5 (ie the issue is most likely not with The Glue). Since a majority of my customers are running 10.5 or above I felt targeting for 10.5 and bypassing these bugs was the best thing to do.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, have to wait a little while.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHB ➑️
I hate to be the party pooper

I downloaded a trial version a few months ago after reading the excitement about it on this thread. There was nothing wrong with the compressor but it just didnt exactly excite me like it seems to have with many on this thread.
It reminded me of the SSL Buss compressor, again another one I didnt particularly like.
Hopefully it did more than just remind your of an analog SSL Buss Compressor, since it is a model of one and meant to sound almost identical. Here are some A/B examples against the analog compressor for you to listen to of a setting pushed nice and hard: http://cytomic.com/files/the-glue-drums-ab-wavs.zip

As a previous poster has pointed out the SSL sounds isn't for everyone. I would have been worried if you liked the sound of The Glue when you didn't like the sound of the original, because it would have meant I didn't do my job right :-)
Old 29th June 2010 | Show parent
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm running windows 7 x64 but the download win 64 version wouldn't appear in my plugins in Live 8. Is that version just for 64bit apps like sonar and I should just use the normal one or what?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yep, you would need a 64 bit DAW (Reaper, Sonar) for The Glue x64. Live 8 only works with 32 bit plugins (X86)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I gotta say,

v1 was close, but v1.0.16 is superduper-damn close. Definitely more than reminds me of the real thing.

(BTW, why isn't this called 1.5? I think it'd be better for sales, and better sales mean more great products for us in the future)

Fantastic work, Cytomic. Can't wait to see what you do next.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Bought!

Sounds and works great. Also like its low cpu usage - cool for us with old computers.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
I'm running windows 7 x64 but the download win 64 version wouldn't appear in my plugins in Live 8. Is that version just for 64bit apps like sonar and I should just use the normal one or what?
Yes, you need a 64 bit ready daw. Windows 7 x64 will run 32 and 64 bit applications. Live is not 64 bit as of v8.1.3
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder ➑️
I gotta say,

v1 was close, but v1.0.16 is superduper-damn close. Definitely more than reminds me of the real thing.

(BTW, why isn't this called 1.5? I think it'd be better for sales, and better sales mean more great products for us in the future)

Fantastic work, Cytomic. Can't wait to see what you do next.
Thanks! I will increment the version number to 1.1 in the near future, I'll do that once I update the gui and add a few other bits and pieces.
πŸ“ Reply