Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 38 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 9th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham ➑️
Gosh, I've never thought of it that way, I don't know. I would say just use your ears to taste. Is there some reason it's got to be exactly 12dB lower?
It's only because that's usually my starting point.
Old 9th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm kinda loving this plug in after one day of noodling with it. It just replaced my Waves SSL comp on a mix :-)

There are some issues with Pro Tools HD 8.01 that I'm having. I'm using the latest version of the plug in. The plug in wants to take over the Mac keyboard so that I'm not able to hit the space bar for playback when the GUI is open unless I click in the edit window (as if it's always kind of in TARGET mode). There are some weird things in the knob value displays as well but maybe this has all been discussed before.

Great work, Andy!!!! Sounding killer so far. Seriously.
Old 10th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't wait to hear the new 1.016!

Seems like if there's a significant change to the sound, maybe it should be called 1.1, ay?
Old 10th June 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloE ➑️
I got a question:
If I want the parallel compressed signal to be e.g 12 db lower than the dry signal, how do I set the mix ratio with the mix dry/wet control?

best regards
For the wet signal to be -12 dB lower than the dry you want 20%, and for the dry to be -12 dB lower than the wet you want 80%

BUT... This is meaningless when you start compressing the signal and using makeup gain, the levels change all the time, so you can't really get it this exact. After you have set the mix knob as a starting point play with the makeup till you get the sound you want.

I had the mix knob in dB to begin with, but testers said it was too confusing! Here is a quick table:

100% -oo dB dry, 0 dB wet
75% = -12 dB dry, -2.5 dB wet
50% = -6 dB dry, -6 dB wet
25% = -2.5 dB dry, -12 dB wet
0% = 0 dB dry, -oo dB wet
Old 10th June 2010
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Re: Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Thank you, Andy, I appreciate it!
Old 13th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Has anyone noticed that when you move any knobs the db amount doesn't change in real-time. I have to take the mouse of the knob and then put it back on to see the current setting.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by con_thafam ➑️
Has anyone noticed that when you move any knobs the db amount doesn't change in real-time. I have to take the mouse of the knob and then put it back on to see the current setting.
It should update, can you please email support with a bug report? Contact | Cytomic
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce ➑️
I'm kinda loving this plug in after one day of noodling with it. It just replaced my Waves SSL comp on a mix :-)

There are some issues with Pro Tools HD 8.01 that I'm having. I'm using the latest version of the plug in. The plug in wants to take over the Mac keyboard so that I'm not able to hit the space bar for playback when the GUI is open unless I click in the edit window (as if it's always kind of in TARGET mode). There are some weird things in the knob value displays as well but maybe this has all been discussed before.

Great work, Andy!!!! Sounding killer so far. Seriously.
same not able to hit the space bar for playback when the GUI is open issuse here~
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyi ➑️
same not able to hit the space bar for playback when the GUI is open issuse here~
This is fixed in v1.0.16, which is very near release.
Old 14th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
This is fixed in v1.0.16, which is very near release.
Oh please! You're killing us here
Old 17th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sorry Andy.
I would send the email support but after I bought The Glue the error stopped.
I guess it was only on the trial version.

Thanx anyway.

And by the way the space bar bug is also happening with me. I have to click somewhere outside of the plug in in order for the space bar to play.

By the way I love the way this plug sounds. It sounded almost identical to the Waves SSL in the sweet spot on the range knob. But then If I turn that knob 5% to the left or right it sounds like a completly different beast. Thats like an SSL comp on crack. ( given I never used a real one, just demoed with the Waves SSL right next to THE GLUE on the same audio source.
Old 18th June 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: the beta of v1.0.16 has been released and is available in the download area for all customers. The Intel Mac version now requires a minimum of OS 10.5

* New: updated analog modeling for more open sounding attacks
* New: optimised analog modeling for greater efficiency
* New: 64-bit Mac Au
* New: 64-bit Win Vst
* New: updated needle drawing with more accurate motion blur
* New: optional peak needle, click on the VU to toggle
* New: Logic 5.x support on Win (no ext sidechain)
* New: Adobe Premiere support (no ext sidechain)
* New: Wavelab 5.x support (no ext sidechain)
* New: Click on labels to jump to that value
* Fixed: Wavelab 6 no longer hangs on startup
* Fixed: Keystrokes are passed to host
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow! I just bought this plug in yesterday and an update already!!!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Excellent news Andy, thank you. I'll check it out later tonight.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Andy!
Old 19th June 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i really like what youve done to attack or whatever what but it sounds more....pleasing now.i did an a/b comparison and mentioned that with the same settings 1.0.16 gives more of gain reduction AND plugin sounds different ..attack sounds different... or something sounds different but more pleasing to me!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento ➑️
i really like what youve done to attack or whatever what but it sounds more....pleasing now.i did an a/b comparison and mentioned that with the same settings 1.0.16 gives more of gain reduction AND plugin sounds different ..attack sounds different... or something sounds different but more pleasing to me!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Thanks! I've matched the hardware more closely now which is why it sounds better, but I didn't change the sound too much since I want to preserve backwards compatibility with peoples existing projects.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Woops, I forgot to say in my original v1.0.16 news item:

The peak needle in particular is very handy when doing limiting applications as you can see more exactly the peak compression amount instead of having to rely on just the rms needle.
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Woops, I forgot to say in my original v1.0.16 news item:

The peak needle in particular is very handy when doing limiting applications as you can see more exactly the peak compression amount instead of having to rely on just the rms needle.
I noticed this when using it but, didn't see it in the update. I thought maybe it was in the last update. Love that function. Great plugin. Can't wait to hear the side by side examples.... Anyone did any.
Hey Andy, is this now more like the new rack mount SSL units? I think you mentioned early that you had them side by side but just wanted to get clarification on that. The original glue I thought was based off the Gyraf design right?

Thanx
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E ➑️
I noticed this when using it but, didn't see it in the update. I thought maybe it was in the last update. Love that function. Great plugin. Can't wait to hear the side by side examples.... Anyone did any.
Hey Andy, is this now more like the new rack mount SSL units? I think you mentioned early that you had them side by side but just wanted to get clarification on that. The original glue I thought was based off the Gyraf design right?

Thanx
The Glue is based on the SSL 4000 schematic, but I've used "prefect" versions of the dbx chip, so the sound should be very close to the rack mount XLogic gear - in fact the A/B comparisons on the web page I've used the SSL XLogic G-Series 1-U rack. The original version was based on the Gyraf schematic a long time ago.
Old 21st June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is this new beta not available for mac users running OSX 10.4?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauvin ➑️
Is this new beta not available for mac users running OSX 10.4?
Quote:
News: the beta of v1.0.16 has been released and is available in the download area for all customers. The Intel Mac version now requires a minimum of OS 10.5
(emphasis mine)
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sorry, I was up late and misread when posted the last comment
Old 22nd June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauvin ➑️
Sorry, I was up late and misread when posted the last comment
haha, no worries!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Andy,
I just went to the site and saw that 1.0.16 is still considered a "beta". Any ideas how much longer you'll have it in "beta" stage, or is it pretty much cool to go ahead and treat it as a "stable" version?

Thanks, man.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham ➑️
Hey Andy,
I just went to the site and saw that 1.0.16 is still considered a "beta". Any ideas how much longer you'll have it in "beta" stage, or is it pretty much cool to go ahead and treat it as a "stable" version?

Thanks, man.
I'm still waiting to hear back from some ppc people that all is working fine, but at this stage the intel build I'm happy with people using right now for production work.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi Andy,

Hope you're well man. Testing 1.0.16 . The sound improvement is pretty noticeable! I have a cheap SSL clone hardware unit I might sell for something else now.

One issue I am seeing here (on PC) is when adjusting the controls on the GUI can sometimes jump up to full value. For example. During playback I was attempting to adjust the make up gain up a few db... With a single mouse click and a slight push up, the make up gain knob jumped to full value (+40db). Luckily, I was using Reaper at the time which has an auto mute on the master bus for such issues.

for the record I do not see this issue if adjusting parameters in the generic VST GUI window.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
is there a demo of this new .16 version? Im interested to hear the improvements...
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Presley ➑️
Hi Andy,

Hope you're well man. Testing 1.0.16 . The sound improvement is pretty noticeable! I have a cheap SSL clone hardware unit I might sell for something else now.

One issue I am seeing here (on PC) is when adjusting the controls on the GUI can sometimes jump up to full value. For example. During playback I was attempting to adjust the make up gain up a few db... With a single mouse click and a slight push up, the make up gain knob jumped to full value (+40db). Luckily, I was using Reaper at the time which has an auto mute on the master bus for such issues.

for the record I do not see this issue if adjusting parameters in the generic VST GUI window.
Hi Matthew! Good to hear you like the improved sound This is due to the new "snap" mode where if you click anywhere in the outer ring of the knob it will jump to the nearest marking. Perhaps I can change the mouse cursor or light up notches to show this will happen? For now if you mouse down in the middle of the controls you will be safe, or you can also use the mouse wheel.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
is there a demo of this new .16 version? Im interested to hear the improvements...
Yep, once I get a spare second I'll update the trial version, most likely this will be before the the weekend.
πŸ“ Reply