Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 37 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 28th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Actually, the media bay and the new preset management in Cubase 4 is one of the prime reasons I've mostly switched to Ableton Live. (Or rather, that was one of the things that pushed me to try live, then I just realized it's far far superior for the things I do)
Old 3rd June 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi ,Andy! Have a question. As i told you before i lloovvee! the glue and especially the range knob. But there is something confusing me. Your words:

" ...I was tempted not to have the "full" setting on the Range knob since it leads to a "digital" sound which is not possible in analog...

...Perhaps I should change "full" to "digital" and then people might not pick it as much?.... "

after these words i understand that the less value of the range knob more analog the glue sounds?to me it is so....lets take drums, i love to set the range knob about -14- 20 db and that sounds amazing. transients are not touched , things sound real to me. sooo.....another your words:

"...These examples used the range at -80 dB so as to match the hardware as close as possible." (post 1051)

as i can see range -80 db is FULL and as you stated earlier full is digital thus analog ssl cant sound as digital as the glue with the range knob turned to "FULL"...
i honestly hope you see what im trying to say)))))

am i confusing something?
Old 4th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Glue 1.0.16

Hi Andy
How are things going with the 1.0.16 release?
Oh, and by the way, The Glue works like a charm in Studio One Pro 1.5 :-)

Take Care
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And what about some more videos about "the glue" in action?
Really enjoyed the first!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento ➑️
Hi ,Andy! Have a question. As i told you before i lloovvee! the glue and especially the range knob. But there is something confusing me. Your words:

" ...I was tempted not to have the "full" setting on the Range knob since it leads to a "digital" sound which is not possible in analog...

...Perhaps I should change "full" to "digital" and then people might not pick it as much?.... "

after these words i understand that the less value of the range knob more analog the glue sounds?to me it is so....lets take drums, i love to set the range knob about -14- 20 db and that sounds amazing. transients are not touched , things sound real to me. sooo.....another your words:

"...These examples used the range at -80 dB so as to match the hardware as close as possible." (post 1051)

as i can see range -80 db is FULL and as you stated earlier full is digital thus analog ssl cant sound as digital as the glue with the range knob turned to "FULL"...
i honestly hope you see what im trying to say)))))

am i confusing something?
A setting of the Range knob with a dB nearer to zero doesn't mean it sounds more "analog", the analog modeling is always on - the same sound could be made with the analog version (when not set to full) if they had the same modification to the circuit that I have done.

Full was a bad word as it implies better in peoples minds. At full it switches to a completely different mode, so -79 or -80 (if you more the knob finely) is actually different to "Full". There isn't much difference between the two unless you are at slow attack times, but so save confusion I'm going to have "Full" be what the XLogic G-Series compressor is set to, that way people can't dial the wrong thing

I've attached a screenshot showing -80 dB.
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-glue_-80db.jpg  
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynash ➑️
Hi Andy
How are things going with the 1.0.16 release?
Oh, and by the way, The Glue works like a charm in Studio One Pro 1.5 :-)

Take Care
Still working away on the v1.0.16 - sorry for the delay. I've been busy doing various plots and audio examples to help out the reviewers - keep an eye out for the review in Sound on Sound, it should be a very in depth and thorough one
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl ➑️
And what about some more videos about "the glue" in action?
Really enjoyed the first!
Definitely still on the way, but I want to get v1.0.16 out the door first.

I've got loads of A/B examples with the analog XLogic G-Series comp now to include at the end of each video I do. I've got a brilliant vocal phrase from Gita Lake, a full mix example, a bass guitar with loads of dynamics and a few others - so I'll tutorial covering each one which will include the reasoning behind setting I used and then have the A/B at the end with the analog.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm really looking forward to the update. I've been very happy with your product Andy; keep up the good work.
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Re: Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Have been testing The Glue a lot lately... Not that it whas needed to test it a lot to make up my mind, after a few minutes it whas perfectly clear: I'm going to buy it soon!!! Love it!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy, I'm just wondering if you have plans to update the GUI in 1.0.16?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➑️
Andy, I'm just wondering if you have plans to update the GUI in 1.0.16?
Hope not...the GUI is simply perfect
Old 5th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In Logic there is a huge plugin border because Logic's menu / header is wider than The Glue. It's not a huge problem because you can hide it and shrink the border, but it does get annoying. This was my suggestion to Andy:

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In Logic there is a huge plugin border because Logic's menu / header is wider than The Glue. It's not a huge problem because you can hide it and shrink the border, but it does get annoying. This was my suggestion to Andy:
love the look of that layout idea!

a million thanks for your work on this plugin, Andy. I truly feel very lucky to be in the know about it thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

+2 thumbsup
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
+3thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Are you suggesting Andy change the look of the plug for everyone cause it dont look good in logic?

I like the current layout and know where to "reach" when I want to do something.

Sounds like a problem Logic needs to fix, not Cytomic...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I think it would look better with the knobs on the right side and the buttons on the left... flipped from what you have...

But I like the way it looks now
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken ➑️
I think it would look better with the knobs on the right side and the buttons on the left... flipped from what you have...

But I like the way it looks now
I know it's not gonna change but i agree knobs on other side would look dope .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
dotl
+ 10
I raise my hands and feet for the old GUI
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think everyone knows that Apple isn't going to change anything in Logic if things aren't broken... and sometimes even if they are. It was only a suggestion to Andy and besides, he said that he was going to update the GUI anyway. I have good faith in what he'll decide on.
Old 6th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think everyone knows that Apple isn't going to change anything in Logic if things aren't broken... and sometimes even if they are. It was only a suggestion to Andy and besides, he said that he was going to update the GUI anyway. I have good faith in what he'll decide on.
the option to choose between the to like a "skin A / skin B" would be a nice extra sumthin' sumthin' .
Old 8th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are you suggesting Andy change the look of the plug for everyone cause it dont look good in logic?

I like the current layout and know where to "reach" when I want to do something.

Sounds like a problem Logic needs to fix, not Cytomic...
absolute true
i love the narrow GUI

Quote:
Logic's menu / header is wider
yeah that logic header sucks
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Logic's menu / header is wider than The Glue.
Actually in ProTools header is wider too,
but I don't consider it as a problem, no...

If I had the option to chose between
narrow or wide, I'd say that was cool...

But big deal...? Nah...

G
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Glue is sooo much better than the Waves SSL Master Buss comp plug-in. I'm not a Waves-hater, but I recognize superiority when I hear it. The Glue is absolutely as good as it gets, currently, for ITB buss comp plug-ins.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl ➑️
Hope not...the GUI is simply perfect
The gui will remain unchanged for v1.0.16. The most likely change is to make the whole thing bigger. If the change does include a slight re-shuffle of controls, the most important controls (threshold, range, makeup) will remain next to the needle as this is where they are needed.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder ➑️
The Glue is sooo much better than the Waves SSL Master Buss comp plug-in. I'm not a Waves-hater, but I recognize superiority when I hear it. The Glue is absolutely as good as it gets, currently, for ITB buss comp plug-ins.
I agree!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder ➑️
indeed.
Old 9th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I got a question:
If I want the parallel compressed signal to be e.g 12 db lower than the dry signal, how do I set the mix ratio with the mix dry/wet control?

best regards
Old 9th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloE ➑️
I got a question:
If I want the parallel compressed signal to be e.g 12 db lower than the dry signal, how do I set the mix ratio with the mix dry/wet control?

best regards
Gosh, I've never thought of it that way, I don't know. I would say just use your ears to taste. Is there some reason it's got to be exactly 12dB lower?
πŸ“ Reply