Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 33 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 26th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi Andy, I might dive in now there's rtas. May i ask if 1.1 will be a free update, when it's due, what will changeand if not free how much will the update be?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
Hi pimento,

Glad you took the time to check into this a little further! I was tempted not to have the "full" setting on the Range knob since it leads to a "digital" sound which is not possible in analog, but it does have it's applications for limiting large spikes with very fast settings of attack and release.

I do regret this since it seems whenever anyone does a comparison with other compressors that don't have such a feature they don't leave it at the default setting of -40, they crank it up to full and so do not hear The Glue at it's best.

Perhaps I should change "full" to "digital" and then people might not pick it as much?

Oh well, I'll continue to try and
Sounds like a good idea to me. Also, in your opinion, does The Glue sound best at -40? Or somewhere in between -40 and "full" for master buss compression?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst ➡️
Sounds like a good idea to me. Also, in your opinion, does The Glue sound best at -40? Or somewhere in between -40 and "full" for master buss compression?
It really depends on the situation. If you want to gently raise the detail and leave transients natural sounding I would use a setting of around -10 dB to -20 dB, if you want the sound with a medium amount of compression I would use -40 dB, which would be my default setting for most tracking type operations, or on a drum bus. Up at -70 dB or -80 dB you match what the original hardware does, but you then should be more careful to set the threshold or ratio more gently to not squish things too much.

So the two extremes of using the Range knob for gentle compression on the master bus are:

1) Range of -10 dB, ratio 10, faster attack and release
2) Range of -80 dB, ratio 2, slower attack and release

But feel free to try out more combinations, and give some of the presets a try as well.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerjex ➡️
Hi Andy, I might dive in now there's rtas. May i ask if 1.1 will be a free update, when it's due, what will changeand if not free how much will the update be?
v1.1 will be a free update to all users and will include some kind of dual mono mode, as well as improved preset browsing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It really depends on the situation. If you want to gently raise the detail and leave transients natural sounding I would use a setting of around -10 dB to -20 dB, if you want the sound with a medium amount of compression I would use -40 dB, which would be my default setting for most tracking type operations, or on a drum bus. Up at -70 dB or -80 dB you match what the original hardware does, but you then should be more careful to set the threshold or ratio more gently to not squish things too much.

So the two extremes of using the Range knob for gentle compression on the master bus are:

But feel free to try out more combinations, and give some of the presets a try as well.
This may be totally stupid, but I assume that -10 is on the left of the dial and -80 is on the right and "Full" means the most transient reduction (I can find no more markings or indicators on the actual plugs).
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe ➡️
This may be totally stupid, but I assume that -10 is on the left of the dial and -80 is on the right and "Full" means the most transient reduction (I can find no more markings or indicators on the actual plugs).
When you mouse over the control it shows you the current dB, make sure the interface has the focus so that mouse move events get to the plugin. You are right in that -10 is to the left and -80 is to the right. Full (Digital) is the rightmost setting and is equivalent to how digital compressors do not limit the total depth of compression at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the clarification - I'll take off my dunce cap now...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Cool thanks, Andy. Also, when turning the knobs (newest beta-rtas) it would be nice to see the values change while turning them. At this point, I can only see the value after I stop, move the mouse from the knob, and then move it back so the current value appears. This is especially time consuming in Multi-Mono mode where I have to set the L and R settings separately. If this has already been discussed earlier, I apologize. I haven't seen anything about it yet.
Old 12th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➡️
Interesting that UA suddenly released its SSL Plugins—with no prior mention—just now when The Glue is in late beta stage and getting great feedback. Coincidence?

Quote:
Well unless Universal Audio can miraculously remove the extra latency and extra bus bandwidth their UAD card introduces, adds external sidechain processing, adds a range knob, adds a 0.01 mS attack time, makes the UAD 2 card fit inside a usb key sized device, and drops the price by half, I think The Glue is still in for some market share.

Andrew Simper
SLAM! duuh duuh duuh, duuh duuh duuh, Let the boys be boys!

TADOW!
Old 13th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't want to overdo this...
I was mixing a tune that to my ear required an SSL style compressor. It was a very dense song with over 20 tracks of guitars. Outside of issues of arrangement, panning, eq- at some point you still have an awful lot of parts to put into place. In addition, the drums needed to explode and not be swallowed by the guitars. For me, SSL and it's ilk are really helpful with both organization and explosion, and I was close to spending money I didn't have allocated for such a device.
I downloaded The Glue, and was smiling within minutes. It did the job well enough that I overcame my gearsluttery and did not purchase that Smart that someday I will get...
While I have enjoyed an SSL in the past, I'm not proffering myself as an expert to gage relative differences. I will say that The Glue on it's own merits is a great plugin and greater value. It's a no brainer to try for yourself. The presets are well thought out and good starting places. And it's a part of my workflow now.
Thank you- nice job!

Last edited by bigfurry; 13th April 2010 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid ➡️
SLAM! duuh duuh duuh, duuh duuh duuh, Let the boys be boys!

TADOW!
LOL. I think you and I grew up listening to the same music.
Old 14th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder ➡️
LOL. I think you and I grew up listening to the same music.
you mean back in the day when we were teenagers ? before we had status ? before we had pagers ?
Old 9th May 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I've started a YouTube channel called CytomicAudio and I've posted the first tutorial video on using The Glue for peak limiting. Included is also a comparison to the original analog hardware that The Glue is based on. This is my first go at this sort of thing so it's pretty basic:

YouTube - CytomicAudio's Channel
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Nice one Andy

G
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very nice... Thanks Andy!
Old 10th May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Coolness ! will keep an eye on this page in the future . Love your mascot . Looks like he could hang out with Pete Fowler when he's not busy peak limiting heh .
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi Andy- I just subscribed to your youtube page and I would love to see you keep these videos coming. I'm always looking to learn and you have a lot to teach, methinks!! I also think it's a great promo for those on the fence about the Glue as it really shows what a fantastic plug you have here.

Thanks so much!heh
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Thanks everyone! I'll definitely keep them coming. If anyone has any suggestions as to topics to cover please let me know. Currently I've got things like:

* General introduction and overview of all the controls
* Using the Range knob
* Gentle mix bus (includes ratio of 2 and sidechain hp)
* Slamming drums
* Vocal taming
* Bass guitar taming
* Sidechain pumping to create movement

The call for audio demos is finished, thanks for all those who helped out Please ignore what is below:

CALL OUT FOR HELP WITH DEMOS OF PROBLEM AUDIO PLEASE!

I'd love to be able to do A/B comparisons with the analog hardware showing off how The Glue can tame the dynamics of well recorded but unruly and difficult audio dynamics. This will be for audio examples for the web page and tutorials, and nothing else. If anyone has any problematic uncompressed short audio examples they think will highlight how useful The Glue is, and you don't mind making public, please send them through to "support atsign cytomic.com". Please include your name and or band name and url so I can give you credit for the audio if I can use it. In particular I would love some uncompressed fingered or slap bass that needs taming, as I don't have any examples of this at the moment.

As an added incentive for each demo I use I'll give the submitter a free copy of The Glue, or if you already have it, then my next plugin instead!

Last edited by andy-cytomic; 10th May 2010 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Incentive for submitting!
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've started a YouTube channel called CytomicAudio and I've posted the first tutorial video on using The Glue for peak limiting. Included is also a comparison to the original analog hardware that The Glue is based on. This is my first go at this sort of thing so it's pretty basic:

YouTube - CytomicAudio's Channel

Very nice!! Looking forward to the coming vids thumbsup
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
hi from Spain
I'm a happy owner of the glue. this is one of the best vst comps in the market.
Is clean, even at the fastest attack. The most of the comp/lim plugins are very dirty, specially at faster settings.
The Glue have very low harmonic distortion, as you can see in the graphics
Just a little dirt when ratio is on 10 and when release is in the fastest position.
Look what the SSL do to the same 1khz sinewave.
The only vst comp that is cleaner than the glue is the Psp Oltimer, but the glue is more versatile.

P.s: gain reduction is always 6db. The sine wave was generated with Wavelab.

Best regards, and sorry for my english
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-glue-1.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-glue-2.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-glue-3.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-ssl-1.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-oldtimer-5.jpg  

Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-oldtimer-3.jpg  
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacorro ➡️
hi from Spain
I'm a happy owner of the glue. this is one of the best vst comps in the market.
Is clean, even at the fastest attack. The most of the comp/lim plugins are very dirty, specially at faster settings.
The Glue have very low harmonic distortion, as you can see in the graphics
Just a little dirt when ratio is on 10 and when release is in the fastest position.
Look what the SSL do to the same 1khz sinewave.
The only vst comp that is cleaner than the glue is the Psp Oltimer, but the glue is more versatile.

P.s: gain reduction is always 6db. The sine wave was generated with Wavelab.

Best regards, and sorry for my english
Thanks for the post - and your excellent english! I've never tried plotting things out like this, so it's interesting to see and a good test for the future for me to do. Could you please do another example with The Glue matching the settings you have on the Waves plugin? (ie attack 1 mS, release 0.6 S, ratio 2, and -6 dB of gain reduction)

Also, do you happen to know the attack and release time on the old timer? It would be nice to match those as well if possible, since I have a feeling the attack will be slower than 0.01 mS (which is under a sample at at 44.1kHz)
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The glue vs Waves SSL, same settings. 6db of GR

look at the inharmonic content.
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-theglue.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-ssl-analog-off.jpg  
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Real attack at the fastest att position and release time in auto.
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-theglue-fast-att-1.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-theglue-fast-att-2.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-theglue-fast-att-3.jpg  
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Psp Oltimer at fastest settings
Ratio is 4, while The Glue was 10 (sorry), for this reason the attack in the Glue was harder.
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-oltimer-1.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-oltimer-2.jpg   Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-oltimer-3.jpg  
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Great! Thanks for taking the extra time to do those screenshots and plots pacorro!
Old 11th May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Check out PSP MasterComp.
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Psp Oltimer at fastest settings
Ratio is 4, while The Glue was 10 (sorry), for this reason the attack in the Glue was harder.
Nice one . I found that interesting as well . Thanks for taking the time to do that !
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I'll definitely keep them coming. If anyone has any suggestions as to topics to cover please let me know. Currently I've got things like:

* General introduction and overview of all the controls
* Using the Range knob
* Gentle mix bus (includes ratio of 2 and sidechain hp)
* Slamming drums
* Vocal taming
* Bass guitar taming
* Sidechain pumping to create movement

CALL OUT FOR HELP WITH DEMOS OF PROBLEM AUDIO PLEASE!

I'd love to be able to do A/B comparisons with the analog hardware showing off how The Glue can tame the dynamics of well recorded but unruly and difficult audio dynamics. This will be for audio examples for the web page and tutorials, and nothing else. If anyone has any problematic uncompressed short audio examples they think will highlight how useful The Glue is, and you don't mind making public, please send them through to "support atsign cytomic.com". Please include your name and or band name and url so I can give you credit for the audio if I can use it. In particular I would love some uncompressed fingered or slap bass that needs taming, as I don't have any examples of this at the moment.

As an added incentive for each demo I use I'll give the submitter a free copy of The Glue, or if you already have it, then my next plugin instead!
Gonna hold you to it . Look forward to these very much.
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric ➡️
Check out PSP MasterComp.
You are right, I forgot to mention the master comp, a nice clean comp too
Attached Thumbnails
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin-psp-mastercomp.jpg  
Gear Addict