Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 31 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 2nd October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
by chance has anyone converted the 80 presets to Logics format yet?
If not I'll have to do it myself...
Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacenik ➑️
If not I'll have to do it myself...
Thanks!
Have thought about it, but haven't gotten around to it. If you do it, share!!!
g
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ask and you shall receive. (Installing Logic 9 on the laptop, so I had some time to kill while juggling DVD's. ) The folder goes into Library/Audio/Presets/Cytomic.

http://www.borg64.com/theglue/theglue.zip

Andy, hope this is ok - if not, just tell me and I'll remove it (I'll mail you a link to this post as well).
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 ➑️
Ask and you shall receive. (Installing Logic 9 on the laptop, so I had some time to kill while juggling DVD's. ) The folder goes into Library/Audio/Presets/Cytomic.

Andy, hope this is ok - if not, just tell me and I'll remove it (I'll mail you a link to this post as well).
All good here, thanks for helping out!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Many thanks borg64 - ya just saved me a half hour or more of my life time wasted on tech tweaking!

And thank YOU Andy for great plug!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I think I finally worked out why I think people reported hearing a shrinking of the stereo image with The Glue, it was most likely they were over compressing with The Glue due to the meter not peaking as high because of needle smoothing. I generated a test example comparing The Glue to another compressor people said had a wider stereo image. I matched the settings (I had to set the Range of The Glue to Full) and matched the peak output level of the two and have put them back to back here - so which has the wider stereo image? They sound pretty much the same to me.

www.cytomic.com/files/the-glue_stereo-image2.wav
http://www.cytomic.com/files/the-glu...-image-raw.wav

I've also included the pre-compressed source material as well.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I would appreciate everyone's help tracking down a bug I am yet to find on my system to do with animation of the user interface. The only remaining bug report about animation links the problems to Battery 3 but I would like to double check with everyone if there are any other ways I can reproduce it. Is anyone having problems where the needle and or knobs stop animating? If so I would really appreciate you could please get in contact Contact | Cytomic and let me know:
1) OS and version (eg Mac v10.5.8 )
2) Host and version (eg Logic v9.0.0 )
3) Glue version (should be v1.0.14 )
4) What other plugins are in your project
5) How the problem manifests (eg when I load a saved project the needle stops working)

For those people using DP I'm still waiting for a copy to test with from Motu and as soon as I get one I'll hopefully fix the problem.
Old 3rd October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Curious if this compressor could be used as a good (or even top quality?) de-essor since it has the side-chain input and all?...
If so, does someone knowledgeable have any setting tips or even a patch I'd be mucho grateful
since I've only done it a couple times with a compressor plugin.
Cheers!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Curious if this compressor could be used as a good (or even top quality?) de-essor since it has the side-chain input and all?...
If so, does someone knowledgeable have any setting tips or even a patch I'd be mucho grateful
since I've only done it a couple times with a compressor plugin.
Cheers!
Of course it can. Place the glue on the vocal track (or whatever you want to de-ess). Create a send from the vocal track to a bus channel or similar. On the bus, place an EQ with filters. For the EQ, use the HP-LP filters to filter out everything but the frequencies you want to de-ess (likely leaving something like 3k-7k or so). Listen to the bus track to adjust the filters until you mostly hear just the frequencies you want to reduce. Use a sweepable peak band with high gain and rather narrow q to further narrow in on and amplify the (most) offending frequency. Now, route that bus track to the sidechain input of the glue instead, and adjust gain reduction till it sound good. Instead of using an EQ, a resonant bandpass filter will do the trick as well, especially one with adjustable width.

For the glue, I would probably use something like 4:1 or 10:1 ratio, with pretty fast attack and release times, but that's usually best to just listen and try...

Hope it helps.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks rydan for the details... though ha... that's exactly what I did.
I guess I just wanted confirmation of the approach and mainly Glue 'settings' recommendations just to be sure I wasn't doing something odd with the ratio etc. Cheers.
Old 6th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the presets borg64!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Genius! Thanks man!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thank you
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
hi Andy,

bought it, love it, use it constantly. This plugin sounds great! My favorite choice as a drum buss comp ITB!

thanks!!!!
Old 7th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow.

this thing is silly good.

just bought it. nice work andy !!

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
why not to add the "in" knob? a bit tired to add "utility" before the comp in ableton when the volume is not to high.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanski ➑️
why not to add the "in" knob? a bit tired to add "utility" before the comp in ableton when the volume is not to high.
I have designed The Glue to have the minimum number of dials to get the job done which makes it clearer and easier to use, so adding pre and or post gain isn't an option for me as this just adds extra complexity to the gain path. The Glue provides lots of gain, is it feasible for you to use a lower threshold and a higher makeup gain? If it's the presets that are the issue then I could go through them and make a custom .zip download which has lower thresholds.

Another alternative is to use is you could save an effect rack with the utility both pre and or post, and a copy of The Glue in it, and load that instead of The Glue directly.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by out1ear ➑️
hi Andy,

bought it, love it, use it constantly. This plugin sounds great! My favorite choice as a drum buss comp ITB!

thanks!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 ➑️
wow.

this thing is silly good.

just bought it. nice work andy !!

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Thanks guys! Great to hear.
Old 4th November 2009 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
A quick news update: I've been busy working on the Win Rtas version which is close to completion, and trying to track down the allusive redraw bug some people are having, but still no success there. I've also now got a copy of DP 6 and have reproduced the crash people are having with the mono version so I'll be able to fix it quite quickly as well. I've also just bought a copy of Win7 64 bit and after the above work is done I'll look into doing a 64 bit version for both win and mac. Hopefully there won't be too many stumbling blocks for the 64 bit versions but I won't know till I've given it a go.
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Has anyone coupled the Glue with the Alex B SSL bus 4000 harmonic content? If anyone is not a part of the Nebula revolution, this may be an example of a great marriage of emulation software with authentic harmonic non linear sampling. I intend to buy both so I will post an audio example as soon as possible.

You can listen to what the added analog harmonic content (not the compression) of the SSl board will do to your mixes here:

AlexB Nebula Libraries - CLC

Also, because I am a Nebula user (heavy RAM requirements), I am about to make the jump into the 64 bot world. Andy, glad that you are onto it!
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just want to say that I am waiting for a Shadow Hills Vandergraph to be delivered and in the meantime, I've been using the Cytomic Glue on the buss that would be assigned to that channel and it's been wonderful.

A very worthy product and a design that evidences a lot of attention to detail.

Thanks for your hard work, Andy!

- c
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just thought it was time for a bump. Been using the glue a lot lately, and not just for buss comp duties. I've said it before, but, great plugin!
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydan ➑️
Just thought it was time for a bump. Been using the glue a lot lately, and not just for buss comp duties. I've said it before, but, great plugin!
Likewise... I agree and it is part of all my sessions in one form or another.
Old 8th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
have tested recently lots of digital comps.....but still find the glue as the best buss comp ive tested.
Old 14th January 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Logic 9.1 64 bit news:

I've had a look into the Logic 9.1 64 bit update and I can confirm that their 32 bit bridge application breaks compatibility with The Glue. I have tried to debug it to see what is going on but attaching a debugger crashes the Logic 32 bit bridge application. I am in contact with Apple to find out what the problem is. The Glue works just fine with Logic 9.1 in 32 bit mode. I have been in contact with FXpansion and the 32 bit bridge does not work with BFD2 either.

I plan on doing a 64 bit version of The Glue for both Win and Mac this year but at the moment there are a couple of bug fixes and the Win Rtas which take priority. Once I've finished those I'll assess how long the 64 bit version will take and let everyone know when I plan to tackle it.
Old 14th January 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Win Rtas news:

I've got the Win Rtas version loading and processing audio including external sidechain processing, but there is a shutdown bug causing problems I want to fix before release, but it's looking good for the end of Jan.
Old 19th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Awesome! I'm waaaaaay excited for Win RTAS!!!!
Old 19th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
the glue rocks!!!!!! just used it on 3 remixes for universal (major distribution)
Old 22nd January 2010 | Show parent
+++
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalson ➑️
the glue rocks!!!!!! just used it on 3 remixes for universal (major distribution)

Let us know which tracks when you can reveal which they are.
πŸ“ Reply